PDA

View Full Version : How we feelin'?

McZag
03-23-2013, 02:31 PM
I'm ready. Let's do this!

Mr Vulture
03-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Anxious, but if we play our game to our usual standards I expect we will win going away. Say 10pts or so.

Bocco
03-23-2013, 02:35 PM
before the Southern game confident, today nervous

Oregonzagnut
03-23-2013, 02:47 PM
No over-confidence today and I am sure we will see an energetic and animated group of Zags today.

Goshzagit
03-23-2013, 02:48 PM
just heard a recap of a Coach Marshall interview --

He referenced their ability to "muck it up".

I can't stand that word and neither can our offense. When athletic teams attempt to muck things up and pack the middle, it all depends on our shooting ability. The latter terms being mine, not his. "rotating guys all night long" means just that...

Also, he said they plan to rotate bodies all game long on Olynyk & Harris = fouling hard, cheap shots, pushing, shoving, grabbing, packing it in.

He mentioned he played the Zags twice before as Head Coach at Winthrop and said "we could have won and advanced, except Morrison went off".

He mentioned every player by name(even Dower) yet zero mention of Elias Harris. Must not think very highly of him after his ridiculously lazy, unathletic, lackadaisical performance vs Southern. This is a good sign, imo. Over-looking Harris.

They are putting their best defender on Pangos. Coach Marshall -- a fiery, intense man btw -- says Pangos is our best player "behind the scenes", he is "the key", the player who "stirs our drink". Interesting.

Mentioned Gary Bell in passing as a capable shooter and defender. Thought highly of Mike Hart's hustle and stats that "fans don't always notice".

Spoke about our depth, our offense, said we run the Pick 'n Roll better than "anybody in the country".

That was it about us.

He things very highly about his team and deservedly so.

He likes their physical style, toughness, and spoke about playing "mean" all night long vs the Zags. They plan to attack, be relentless on the boards, and playing with no fear.

You could hear it in his voice. They plan to risk it with fouls, hard ones, playing tough, etc.

He said they can absolutely not get into a scoring contest with Gonzaga and will do everything to make it difficult for us.

He said the key is "rebounding, battle of the boards, and causing TO's into points".

Seemed much more focused on their defensive game plan vs their offensive one. They are planning to play "3 or 4 different guys on Olynyk".

All this said, he was complimentary of his defense, toughness, and rebounding and our offense, skill, and shooting.

This tells me, our key is Elias Harris. For whatever reason, they are overlooking him, including the players. Armstead, for instance, spoke about the "guy with long hair being great", and our guards can shoot, etc.

Still, not a single mention by name, of Harris.

Its up to him to own this, take advantage, and lead us to the promise land.

My goodness, I hope he plays with more energy than last game. He made Sean Mallon look like Erroll Knight last game. No athleticism, which we will need every last bit vs the Shockers.

gamagin
03-23-2013, 02:52 PM
but it all depends on how the refs call the games. just keep the fight fair and I like our chances a lot.

ZagLawGrad
03-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Big crowd here at Energy Solutions. No doubt AZ fans will stick around to root for Shockers.

ZagMan in Philly
03-23-2013, 03:44 PM
I love L.A.
Go Zags!

misszigzag
03-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Very nervous and excited. I just wish it was game time already!
Go Zags!

Baldwinzag
03-23-2013, 03:54 PM
match their energy, don't worry so much about their self-proclaimed "muckiness".

don't let Wichita St become our next "Nevada circa '03".

play our game. out-skill them. play them on offense. work the ball, pressure their pressure. no black holes this game. somewhat concerned over olynyk trying to takeover, esp the way Elias played last game (didn't show up).

be patient, yet find balance. must walk the fine line between matching they physical play and finding our niche again.

confuse them.

no hesitancy on offense or shot selection -- take it. make it.

play strong, but not stupid.

rise to the occasion, as they will give 150% all game long. draw fouls, take advantage of their "play mean" mentality, as Coach Marshall was quoted as saying.

don't fret. we seem to be uncomfortable when we're down by 4-5 pts. be steady. don't be afraid to grind a bit.

we are better on offense, head & shoulders better, so work the game plan. don't launch shots that are contested. play to our strengths.

get Elias going. find him in transition. on the cut. etc. don't stare at Kelly as we did for stretches last game.

get our subs the ball. Dower, Karnowski, Dranginis, get them involved -- they could be the difference.

find a way to score. Wich St has a Top-20 defense. exploit it. break down the defense = breakdown their will.

they will overplay as the underdog, under seed, under skilled team. realize it, recognize it, reward it.

be a Zag. play like you know you will win.

don't rush things, as we did vs Southern, rather find the opportunities and allow our players to make plays. we are better shooters, footwork, offense, finesse, skill, so utilize this throughout.

don't play down to the competition. Wich St is not Gonzaga. it is what it is. thus, play like it.

beat them.

caduceus
03-23-2013, 03:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Ttcis5D.jpg

Virginia Zags Fan
03-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Nervous as anything. And it wouldn't matter who we were playing. I know if our guys come out how they did against SMC, they will win barring a miraculous night or just an awful reffing night.

Actually, I am most worried about the reffing.

Zag4Hire
03-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Kind of a hodge podge of nausea, excitement, and anger with a dash of dogmatic fortitude. Why yes, I have been drinking.

bballbeachbum
03-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Feel good. Survive and advance, that's it. Play pretty or play ugly, don't care

Refs better not suck, need to keep it fair. Zags should shoot a lot of FTs tonight

MJ777
03-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Nervous as anything. And it wouldn't matter who we were playing. I know if our guys come out how they did against SMC, they will win barring a miraculous night or just an awful reffing night.

Actually, I am most worried about the reffing.

Wish Zags were playing Pitt today. Regardless, Go Zags! Survive and Advance.

mee755
03-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Feeling good. Got a nice buzz going. ;)

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Louis: Looking good, Billy Ray!
Billy Ray: Feeling good, Louis!

Bocco
03-23-2013, 04:20 PM

know the feeling, a nice buzz relieves a lot of anxiety

BoZarth
03-23-2013, 04:31 PM
It's Go Time!

Go Zags!!!!

229SintoZag
03-23-2013, 04:33 PM

What is it a about Kansas? Do you folks always start drinking and getting after it before 7 pm?

U Zig, I Zag
03-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Who are the refs???
Please not the last crew.

mee755
03-23-2013, 04:47 PM
What is it a about Kansas? Do you folks always start drinking and getting after it before 7 pm?

Usually 5pm.

mee755
03-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Getting nervous now. Gonna have to pour another drink.

mee755
03-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Who are the refs???
Please not the last crew.

Curious about this.

FuManShoes
03-23-2013, 05:18 PM
How we feelin?

Not good. Hoping for a turnaround.

mee755
03-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Now I am sick.

Just A Zag
03-23-2013, 05:42 PM
drunk

jpn17
03-23-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm at a loss for words how it seems like year after year, regardless of who they play and regardless of who the players are on the team, Gonzaga's opponents routinely hit ~50% of their threes. Wichita St. couldn't throw the ball in Salt Lake from beyond the arc last game.

Baldwinzag
03-23-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm at a loss for words how it seems like year after year, regardless of who they play and regardless of who the players are on the team, Gonzaga's opponents routinely hit ~50% of their threes. Wichita St. couldn't throw the ball in Salt Lake from beyond the arc last game.

i posted a 3 page post about this very issue -- every Tourney loss since 2006 (save OSU) have hit double-digit 3's to advance. even when they were a historically/statistically a poor shooting team. its more luck than scheme, most likely, but still...sucks.

awberke
03-23-2013, 06:23 PM
i posted a 3 page post about this very issue -- every Tourney loss since 2006 (save OSU) have hit double-digit 3's to advance. even when they were a historically/statistically a poor shooting team. its more luck than scheme, most likely, but still...sucks.

You can't consistently be the unluckiest team.

mee755
03-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Time to remove some shirts.