PDA

View Full Version : Norlander:Gonzaga shy to accept pressure of #1 seed

Radbooks
03-23-2013, 10:43 AM
CBS's Norlander (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21933146/gonzaga-shy-to-accept-the-pressure-of-no-1-seed-expectations) has a new article this morning:

SALT LAKE CITY -- A day removed from getting a scare against No. 16 Southern, Gonzaga players don't want to acknowledge the reality of the situation. And neither does their coach. This is to be expected, however. There is the new scope that Gonzaga is seen through, whether they want to admit it or not. And I don't blame them for deferring, as you'll read right here.

"That's for you guys to [talk about]," Zags guard Kevin Pangos said Friday. "The expectation is not for us to make the Elite Eight. Our expectation is to play the next game."

"I try to avoid all talk of being No. 1," Zags senior forward Elias Harris said. "That's poison right there."

"We know people are talking," Gonzaga center Kelly Olynyk said. "People have their own expectations, their own insights about what we should and could accomplish -- and we have our own. ... We're just a big family right now and none of us want to stop playing with each other."

The bottom line is this team will need to minimally reach an Elite Eight on behalf of its coach, lest the heavy criticism truly come down on Mark Few and his program -- as it probably should. You could say that's not fair, but it is now an unavoidable narrative. It is now pressure and part of what Gonzaga's identity is. It is part of Mark Few's legacy. The Zags long ago shed the plucky label and have rightfully and impressively created an isolated imperium off regular-season records in the past 12 years.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-23-2013, 10:49 AM
It's undeniable that this year is extremely important to this program, but this article gave me a good laugh. Reminded me of reading an article/blog post with any political connotation during that last election cycle. So slanted.

Marcus
03-23-2013, 11:06 AM
I am positive that the players and coaching staff know and "acknowledge the reality of the situation". They all want to win, they see the importance of every game, they feel the pressure or whatever you want to call it of the seed and ranking. But since when do they have to start justifying how they "acknowledge the reality of the situation" to the media and the public to help create the story. They are dealing with it like they should, behind closed doors, like the family they are. This is family business to them, they control their destiny, they know this. In the end, like they keep telling any reporter who will actually listen, we are a family and will support each other till the end, what anyone else says does not matter.

Survive and Advance, Go Zags!!!

MDABE80
03-23-2013, 12:08 PM
The media has to says something about things. They make their living doing that. Don't write or generate an issue, you don't work.
When a writer goes negative or fabiricates and issue, it's on the writer.
SOmetimes they just try too hard. This is one of those times I think.
Kevin handled it very well.

I wonder though, if we get out of today's game and approach an E8, when does the media quackers take thier little snipey things back. Seth and Vitale are the worst. Norlander's trending.......it's not a personal story....it's just a light weight attempted to get your name in print. Kind of surprises me.
GO ZAGS!

bartruff1
03-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Nonsense...there won't be any pressure on Few by the people that sign his check... if they lose early, it will be a two day story in the media until next year's tourney...the real haters are in here, and they will come out from under their rocks (where they have been sulking and waiting for a month or so) with the same old songs from the same old singers...

DixieZag
03-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Nonsense...there won't be any pressure on Few by the people that sign his check... if they lose early, it will be a two day story in the media until next year's tourney...the real haters are in here, and they will come out from under their rocks (where they have been sulking and waiting for a month or so) with the same old songs from the same old singers...

Exactly. There WILL be huge pressure if they lose, but it will come from the same people that are putting all the pressure on them now - - - the media.

What, GU is going to fire Few for never getting over the hump? The Booster club will demand action?

The only "pressure" is that coming from the people writing about it.

I wonder if we get to the Elite 8 (if) - will we then become darlings again and have people picking us to win it and win at the FF??? These things are pendelums, right now we are the favorite "disappointment" pick, but it will swing again if we stick around.

MJ777
03-23-2013, 12:32 PM

Amen.

Now prove the doubters wrong Zags.

Live Long and Prosperous in this years Tourney.

Hoopaholic
03-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Blaa blaa. Blaa. Wasted ink spewing complete nonsense. Play the game let the media rant rave spin alter change flip or otherwise. Just go out and play your game knowing win or lose the true sag family will still love ya and support you no matter the outcome