PDA

View Full Version : Media Bias

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2013, 07:29 AM
OK... I don't get how when the Zags beat a feisty 16 seed they are vulnerable, posers, not deserving, etc. When the Hilltoppers push Kansas to the limit... then its just a scare... no other labels on the Jayhawks. Look, I get that there are haters out there... why does the media have to pile on?

Birddog
03-23-2013, 07:38 AM
I kind of felt the same way but a cursory search of the print media didn't turn up much of significance. Maybe you or others could supply something black and white. Of course KU didn't have the prattling of Doug.

On another point, I'll bet that every time we use Doug's last name it gives him some kind of points based on internet hits. In other words we might just be feeding the monster. I suggest a nickname or his first name only in reference to avoid any such possibility.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-23-2013, 07:38 AM
I don't think it's really a bias; they're just following the path of least journalistic resistance.

The narratives are already written--blue bloods get scares, mid-majors are over-rated.

Why would sportswriters start being real journalists now? Par for the course.

bigblahla
03-23-2013, 07:41 AM
OK... I don't get how when the Zags beat a feisty 16 seed they are vulnerable, posers, not deserving, etc. When the Hilltoppers push Kansas to the limit... then its just a scare... no other labels on the Jayhawks. Look, I get that there are haters out there... why does the media have to pile on?

We don't belong at the table. As long as we are just sniffing they don't mind allowing us a few scraps and crumbs but when we pull up a chair at the head of the table the outrage is incredulous.

We are hated by the vocal majority and loved by the faithful. The ranks of the faithful grows every year. Kendall Small is a great example, Kid President and his favorite team Gonzago and it goes on and on all over this rock we call home.

We are an oddity, an enigma, something that never should have happened but did. Something that never should have been sustained but has been for years.

The hate comes from fear. The naysayers have a right to be afraid because we are going to keep coming, going to keep getting stronger and instead of knocking at the door politely we will kick it down.

Beat the Shockers.

Go!! Zags!!!

Nevtelen
03-23-2013, 07:44 AM
If any team deserves an 'underachiever in March' label, Self's KU teams have pushed their way to the front of the line. There are some other BCS schools there (Pitt or Georgetown, anyone?), but KU has done less with more with definite regularity.

Birddog
03-23-2013, 07:45 AM
why would sportswriters start being real journalists now?

qft

MTZag03
03-23-2013, 07:50 AM
I think the reason we got so much bad press is that there weren't any other stories on the day we played. Yesterday we had Georgetown losing, which way overshadowed the Kansas game. But yes, it is a double standard.

Regardless, if we beat WSU tonight, the path is pretty open to the EE.

Zagnificent
03-23-2013, 07:55 AM
If WKU had played with the tenacity of Southern, and had been shooting as hot as Southern, we'd be talking about the first 16-seed to win in the history of the tournament today. Kansas didn't beat WKU, they just out-lasted them. The Zags on the other hand, stepped up and hit big shots when they were needed.

On another note, I'm waiting for the media to start discounting the Zags run toward the final four--"they've beat nobody but double-digit seeds!" "It's not the Zags winning, its Pitt/Wisconsin/New Mexico losing that got them to where they are".

drvenkman05
03-23-2013, 07:57 AM
If any team deserves an 'underachiever in March' label, Self's KU teams have pushed their way to the front of the line. There are some other BCS schools there (Pitt or Georgetown, anyone?), but KU has done less with more with definite regularity.

No, no, no, you just don't understand how KU basketball works. You see, KU PURPOSELY let the game be close, to keep their egos in check and because the last time they didn't beat a 16 seed by double digits, they won three straight national championships. Plus, their team is built from guys who come from the school of hard-knocks, who know how to scrape their way up from the very bottom of the world; guys like Ben McLemore, who had no chance to be anything, but made it from the brutal streets of St. Louis (by way of the top basketball high schools in Virginia and Texas) to have his "One Shining Moment TM" with KU.

gamagin
03-23-2013, 08:01 AM

Is all local. Regional and national outlets form an uneasy alliance to try and put on the NCAA's, but the conflicts are rampant because there isn't a non partisan to be found.

The talking heads know who the audience was before and who it will be after the tourney and that is who they talk to. Follow the money and the population centers and you will find the conforming bias.

The worst thing that could happen money and viewer-wise in this reality would be a FF with four sixteens playing each other for the NC.

As a basketball fan, I want my team first, then second, I want to see the best teams compete for the crown. But first things first. And first for the multimillion $$ network bids that bring us this dance, they need a BIG show.

And all that goes with it. Conclusion: the bias is real, but not necessarily for all wrong reasons.

Larrylegend
03-23-2013, 08:06 AM
This thread is one more example of Gonzaga fans being the biggest cry babies in college sports. Here's to another GU meltdown and early out!
Then the GU boards will blame it on the refs, the media, WSU played out of their heads...

RenoZag
03-23-2013, 08:14 AM
On another point, I'll bet that every time we use Doug's last name it gives him some kind of points based on internet hits. In other words we might just be feeding the monster. I suggest a nickname or his first name only in reference to avoid any such possibility.

Since "@sshat" is already taken, we could use "larrylegend."

NEC26
03-23-2013, 08:17 AM
This thread is one more example of Gonzaga fans being the biggest cry babies in college sports. Here's to another GU meltdown and early out!
Then the GU boards will blame it on the refs, the media, WSU played out of their heads...
Let me guess Larry your favorite team lost to BYU in the NIT recently.

Zageist
03-23-2013, 08:18 AM
I've noticed the same thing. Only one way to shut em up: keep winning.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-23-2013, 08:20 AM
n/a

Ekrub
03-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Reno, why does your quote say Birdog and not Larrylegend?

If WKU hit their open shots like southern hit their shots, it would have been a blow out.

That said, we looked vulnerable and tight. Southern looked more athletic. We won but not without a scare. Can't help but think they are trying to appeal to all the big money markets who think GU is overrated because we don't play in a BCS conference. I hope we just dominate Wichita State. Hit our shots early and force them to speed the game up and we should be okay.

Zag365
03-23-2013, 08:21 AM
The major media outlets and national pundits regularly default to favoring the traditional basketball powers, BCS conferences, etc. because they see those teams more, watched their past successes, and re-inforce each other's belief that championships are eventually won by teams from "power" schools/conferences. I don't think they hate the Zags; they are conditioned to be skeptical because, while we have had good teams that win the WCC and make the tourney year-after-year, etc., we peter out too often before S16 or EE. So, in their mind, if you are predicting upsets among top seeds it is easy to assume that the Zags are more vulnerable/fragile at a No. 1 seed than KU --- the tone of the coverage is Zags easily could have been beaten by a 16 seed, whereas KU was merely given a good game by a 16 seed that got lucky but never really had a prayer.

The skepticism/scorn for our seeding and FF chances is not deserved but I can understand how it happens, especially since very few national commentators see us much during the regular season and rely on general impressions/mischaracterizations of current team. The silver lining is that it helps (I hope) the team to stay grounded and to play with the will-show-them mentality that has been one of the cornerstones of the success of the Zag program.

ZagLawGrad
03-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Lot's of haters out there.

A sign the Zags have truly arrived.

Can't wait to get to the Arena this afternoon!

RenoZag
03-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Reno, why does your quote say Birdog and not Larrylegend?

I was responding to BD's suggestion re: DG

combatcorpsmangulaw
03-23-2013, 08:36 AM
New Mexico, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, Kansas State, Georgetown out of the NCAA tournament.

Kentucky, Number 1 seed in the NIT, gone in the first game.

How many of the so-called 'experts' on ESPN, FOX, or any of the other media outlets picked any of the above-named teams to be gone this early in their respective Tournaments. Answer: Probably NONE.

College Basketball isn't paying attention to who is supposed to win according to the Pundits.

That's what makes these Tournaments so much fun to watch. The smaller colleges/universities are controlling their own destiny. And, the 'experts' look like clowns w/ their bogus predictions and thinly-veiled bias toward the smaller schools.

Zag4Hire
03-23-2013, 08:38 AM

Gottlieb?

gamagin
03-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Lot's of haters out there.

A sign the Zags have truly arrived.

Can't wait to get to the Arena this afternoon!

It's kind of funny from here. We see reports about the love for gu and/or the stocks legend from our media, then we hear the anti noise building during the game, followed by real experiences, like yours.

Interesting comparisons. Thanks. I do think a lot of bkb fans just want to see the best game possible. I hope we give it to them today. I believe we will.

MickMick
03-23-2013, 09:06 AM
There is a bright side to all of this.

Victory is so much sweeter.

scott257
03-23-2013, 09:14 AM

That is a good suggestion. I think "Turd" is probably an appropriate choice.

zagzilla
03-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Read in the paper this AM:

Georgetown NCAA Tourney performance since 2008

2008 Lost to #10 Davidson as a 2 seed
2010 Lost to #14 Ohio as a 3 seed
2011 Lost to #11 VCU as a 6 seed
2012 Lost to #11 NC State as a 3 seed
2013 Lost to #15 FGCU as a 2 seed

That's 5 losses to double digit seeds. Why does GT keep getting 2 and 3 seeds like some sort of birth right? because they play in the Big East. LOL. They get over seeded every year.

Why no over-rated narrative from the pundits? Answer: They made the Final Four in 2007.

That's the reality. Lets' get this monkey off our back. We may never have a better chance than this.

ZZ

gamagin
03-23-2013, 09:30 AM

to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

MDABE80
03-23-2013, 09:45 AM
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A million times THIS!!!

Reborn
03-23-2013, 09:55 AM
We are still THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD. I'm okay with that stigma, in fact I like it. This is the year the little engine is going to make it to the top of the hill. :cheers:

The media needs to create a good story that sells, and so far this year one of the stories is that Gonzaga is still the little engine. Or if you prepare Biblical stories we are still David fighting Goliath. And David has always been my favorite Old Testament hero.

sittingon50
03-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Larry. You check in so infrequently I don't get a chance to ask how Moe & Curly are?

gueastcoast
03-23-2013, 10:18 AM
...went into overdrive after VCU's first round win over Akron.

Now we see how that worked out, and the so-called "experts" predicting for the last 36 hours that "Havoc" would steal the Wolverines' lunch money.

Just win, baby. One down, five to go...

JPtheBeasta
03-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Fwiw, an unbiased (read: not a GU homer like me) observed the bad press for the Zags and no mention of the KU game by the media when a GU preview came on the radio in the car today.

rennis
03-23-2013, 10:29 AM
to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

+1.

Railing against Media bias is someting a lot of west coast fans do. You think GU fans are bad? Check the forums of any West Coast NCAA D1 Football program in the top 10, and how they feel about the media bias towards the SEC on Any Given Saturday.

I'll take this any day of the week. At least GU gets a chance to prove it. All you can ask for.

:cheers:

TheGonzagaFactor
03-23-2013, 10:37 AM
People across the country either like our style of play or they hate us because they kept picking us to go far for years after the 3 consecutive sweet 16s. We have ruined people's brackets for 15 years in one way or another.

I like the anti-Zag sentiment out there. This way it will be a huge surprise and a great story when/if we do make a FF. We are the #1 ranked team and a #1 seed but are the Cinderella of #1s just like we were as a 10/12 seed in the beginning.

FWIW, it seems we go farther in years when we have close games early on. The 20+ point blowout wins in the 2nd round haven't worked so well the last couple years.

caduceus
03-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Wouldn't worry about it. These so-called experts who get paid to watch basketball games generally don't know squat. I checked my bracket against all of the CBS Sports and ESPN "expert brackets" and beat every one of them except one so far. Most of them are doing worse than the average bracket. That says it all.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2013, 01:20 PM
the level of the vitriol is really unprecedented. i get the need to create buzz or a negative angle, i really do. but the hammering GU has taken is beyond the pale. Now heres VCU which was a trendy FF pick and they get hammered and the talking bald heads just talk about how great Shaka is (and he is) and what a great program he has. Nothing about pooping the bed in the 2d Round. thats right, the 2nd freaking round, commercials on round one be damned.