PDA

View Full Version : Media: Pangos - Bell Feature

gamagin
03-23-2013, 05:41 AM
http://www.kansas.com/2013/03/22/2728518/bell-pangos-continue-gonzagas.html

RenoZag
03-23-2013, 06:19 AM
Feature story on WSU Coach Gregg Marshall, who has been through his share of basketball wars. . .

LINK (http://www.kansas.com/2013/03/22/2728606/bob-lutz-marshall-aware-of-opportunity.html#storylink=omni_popular)

gamagin
03-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Tnx

ZagNative
03-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Christian Caple, Spokesman-Review
(http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/mar/23/dower-message-received/)
In Carl Hall’s estimation, the only statistic that will tell more about tonight’s game than the final score is the final rebounding total. And that’s about what you would expect from a Wichita State player whose team prides itself on a tough-guy image forged through playing defense and attacking the glass.

“I think it’s going to be a battle on the boards again, just like the Pittsburgh game,” said Hall, a 6-foot-8 senior forward. “I think the (team) who wins the glass is probably going to win the game.”

The Shockers outrebounded Pittsburgh 37-32 in a 73-55 victory on Thursday, and rank seventh in the country in rebounding margin, grabbing 38.4 boards per game. Gonzaga ranks just below them at 11th.

The battle inside isn’t limited to the glass. Hall, who averages 7.1 rebounds per game and teams with 7-foot center Ehimen Orukpe to form a formidable starting frontcourt, stressed the importance of taking away clean scoring angles for GU’s Olynyk and Elias Harris.

“We’re just going to try to muck things up and make it difficult for their post players,” Hall said. “I think that’ll help us get the win.”

Rangerzag
03-23-2013, 08:20 AM
We’re just going to try to muck things up...

That most likely covers a multitude of "transgressions."

ZagNative
03-23-2013, 11:29 AM
From the Seattle-Times:

Bud Withers, "Gonzaga isn't wasting any time dwelling on close call against Southern" (http://seattletimes.com/html/budwithers/2020622398_withers23.html)
"I don't think there's been a better team in the country than we are in the last four minutes," insisted Gonzaga assistant coach Tommy Lloyd.

"A win is a win," said another assistant, Donny Daniels. "In the last four minutes, nothing was going our way. It could very easily have gone south."

It didn't. Gonzaga rallied to normalcy and the mother of all tournament upsets went begging. But Daniels hastened to add, the Zags can do some things better.

"We only had 25 deflections," Daniels said. "We've got to get that to 35. We only went on the ground 11 times. We've got to get that to at least 16, 17. Our deflections weren't good, our 'Zag plays' weren't good. We can't have that.

"Our goal is to go to a certain place, and if we want to go there, we've got to ratchet it up. Tomorrow, it's a lot about attitude."

That, and the short turnaround. Second games have been an albatross for Gonzaga the past three years in the tournament, partly because it does better with more prep, partly because the opponents are nastier.

Lloyd had the scouting assignment on Wichita State. He pored over five game tapes, called some people familiar with the Shockers (27-8) and went to bed at 2 a.m. Friday.

"They run 30 different little wrinkles out of this one action," said Lloyd. "If you're trying to figure out every one of those, you're overthinking it. It's about figuring out a few constants, doing what you do really well, and then fighting. Rebounding, that's what it's going to come down to."

These days, it's a thinner crowd jumping on the Zags' bandwagon. Not only did Southern threaten mightily, a couple of GU's marquee victims, Oklahoma State and Kansas State, are already gone from the tournament.

Not the Zags, not yet. They're still the 1.
Jerry Brewer, "The Zags' underappreciated strength? Defense (no lie) (http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewer/2020622597_brewer23.html)
As they've accumulated this 32-2 record, the Zags have shown they can win in so many ways. They can beat you in a steel-cage match or three-point shootout, in quicksand or in a track meet, at your pace or at theirs.

"People have always thought of Gonzaga as just being an offensive team," assistant coach Ray Giacoletti said. "But this team has bought into defense more than any other team."

Head coach Mark Few said this is the best defensive team he has had in 14 seasons at Gonzaga.

"And it's shown," he added.

The program has gradually improved on defense over the past five years, but this is Gonzaga's breakout year. The Zags have deviated from the program's previous soft identity with attention to detail, chemistry, better defensive personnel and desire.

They don't have a roster full of fantastic individual defenders, but they have two elite ones in Gary Bell Jr. and Mike Hart, the West Coast Conference defensive player of the year. And they have a commitment from the entire lineup to heed the scouting report and work as a unit.

gamagin
03-23-2013, 11:36 AM
good stuff.

Zag365
03-23-2013, 12:02 PM
The history of guard play and leadership has been key to the extended string of 20-win seasons, league championships and NCAA appearances. Our one hiccup was the two-season gap btw Bouldin's senior year and this year. Love Meech and his athleticism/enthusiasm but he never developed into either an excellent distributor/decisionmaker or scorer. Thus a weakness at guard his junior year and a senior void when he left before last year (although it was best for the program since it gave Pangos/Bell a chance to start every game and gave us as good or better gurad play than what Meech would have likely contributed). Not ranking on Meech; just saying he hit a plateau sooner than his predecessors. Shows how hard it is to predict future with every recruit.

Mantua
03-23-2013, 01:11 PM
This morning on College Game Day I heard, "Pangos and Bell are going to have to toughen up."

Lately they've been looking like people no one wants to meet in a dark alley. I'm tired of these media guys, who apparently didn't see the last game, mouthing off.

gamagin
03-23-2013, 03:15 PM
This morning on College Game Day I heard, "Pangos and Bell are going to have to toughen up."

Lately they've been looking like people no one wants to meet in a dark alley. I'm tired of these media guys, who apparently didn't see the last game, mouthing off.

agree. also trying to keep the news stories at least on page one until the game is over. I'm tired of thanking Delly. It's time to go all zag and all ncaa.

Zageist
03-23-2013, 03:17 PM
great reading, thanks