PDA

View Full Version : OT: What A Half Million Bucks Gets You

Angelo Roncalli
03-22-2013, 09:33 PM
A former player and college basketball coach who's still connected in west coast basketball told me a few weeks ago that the general belief in the basketball community is that UCLA, through various sources and means, "invested" about $500,000 to acquire the services of Shabazz Muhammad for a year. About $200,000 of this was to the pay the salary of Phil Mathews who UCLA lured from Nebraska to be an assistant because of his ties to Muhammad and his slimy father, Ron Holmes (the Bull Stewart of Las Vegas).

For that half million they got one year of play from Shabazz. Maybe one should say half a year because he never played a bit of defense.

Howland will likely lose his job. Mathews, too.

And the half million dollar investment? He missed a lay-in on his final shot as a college player.

It seems altogether fitting and proper, as Lincoln would say.

Oregonzagnut
03-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Wow. Just like in law enforcement, the crooks just get better at being one step ahead of the law. They use all the technology at their disposal, and can get away with stuff because the "letter of the law" allows specific actions to be legal.

The 1 and Done rule has trickle down effects that only make the power and infrastructure of the NCAA larger and larger.

Zag 77
03-22-2013, 09:44 PM
On TV they mentioned that evidently his age is 20, not 19. No big deal now, but it may have given him an advantage when he was playing youth basketball.

Is that the same Phil Matthews that used to coach at USF?

Overall, seems like they should ask for a rebate.

MTZag03
03-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Good thing I picked Minnesota. UCLA isn't even a team, they're just bad.

SLOZag
03-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Everything Angelo said above, and lots more: http://www.latimes.com/news/columnone/la-fi-shabazz-muhammad-inc-20130322-dto,0,3133186.htmlstory

MickMick
03-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Shabazz

Some guys are worth the hype. In my opinion, he isn't.

My eyes aren't showing me what the pundits are trying to sell.

Flashes, but freshman like. The kid isn't ready. He will end up like Josh Selby.

Better player than some of those five stars at Kentucky though.

CDC84
03-22-2013, 10:41 PM
If they can Howland, they might not find a replacement that's any better than he is. I think his tenure at the school has really brought to light the detriments of the UCLA coaching position. You not only have a nutty fan base, you have agents and NBA players swarming the campus and doing just about everything to undermine the authority of the coach. I just can't see guys like Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens wanting to put up with that.

maynard g krebs
03-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Never saw him as that good in hs. Doesn't look like a top 5 pick at all. Two guard size for the NBA without the handle. Undersized as an NBA 3 and not tough enough to make up for it. Doesn't have any interest in guarding anybody or playing in a team concept.

Tonight's UCLA game was by far the easiest double digit "upset" pick.

MDABE80
03-22-2013, 11:23 PM
Some REALLy think this kid is spectacular. I've never seen it that way. Aside from the other issues, as a ball player, he's better than average and has some size and some good tools but........it always seemed contrived. My eyes didn't deceive me.

As for that coaching spot at UCLA, somebody manipulated the administration again. Just the big hustle. I'd bet Ben gagged himself with the thought of going to work.
UCLA fans will someday have to realize how things were in the 60's ad part of the 70s. They had it good....they had it insulated too.
Parity is here and the press is more agressive. After this type of upbringing, I'd guess this kid feels entitled to star status. I'd say the high gloss just went a bit more dull.
No matter what the edia says or the "hustle" surrounding things, you still have to prove it in actions.

Ekrub
03-22-2013, 11:29 PM
It bought them a ton of preseason hype, that's for sure.

vandalzag
03-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Howland has been on the hot seat for the last couple of years. Sold his soul to get these kids. The worst thing is that this is rule not the exception with these top AAU kids. Anybody wonders why the Zags rarely if ever go after a top recruit, it is because the staff and the school simply will not play the game.

UCLA was lucky that the NCAA lawyer was going rogue because they were set to take a fall. The book may not be closed on this as well, since the dad is not shy about giving up details, once his kid is gone more dirt may be found.

NJZag
03-23-2013, 08:30 AM
On TV they mentioned that evidently his age is 20, not 19. No big deal now, but it may have given him an advantage when he was playing youth basketball.

Is that the same Phil Matthews that used to coach at USF?

Overall, seems like they should ask for a rebate.

Yes.

ZagNative
03-23-2013, 10:09 AM
A brilliant column in the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/basketball/la-sp-0323-plaschke-ucla-20130323,0,1330115.column) about what might be Ben Howland's final game as the Bruins' coach:

By Bill Plaschke

March 22, 2013, 11:30 p.m.

AUSTIN, Texas -- It wasn't so much a goodbye wave as a slap in the face.

After 10 years of professionally serving a university he loved, Ben Howland was ushered out with two hours of everything he hated.

Selfish shots. Lazy defense. Blank stares.

In what was probably Howland's final game as a UCLA basketball coach after a decade of giving the program class and dignity and three Final Four appearances, his players gave him nothing.

In what was probably his last stand, he was crushed.

Say what you want about the embattled leader of the Bruins' sixth-seeded team, but Howland deserved better than Friday's 83-63 loss to 11th-seeded Minnesota in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

If his players cared, they didn't show it. If his players were still listening to him, it wasn't evident. Once embraced by a UCLA community that truly believed he was leading them back to the days of Wooden, Howland spent his probable final game shouting into nothing, drawing up plays for nobody, very much alone.

At the bitterest of end, in a postgame news conference in front of only a handful of reporters, the man who has answered every question for 10 years couldn't bring himself to respond to the final one.

"Do you think you've coached your last game as UCLA coach?" he was asked.

"No comment," he said.

Reborn
03-23-2013, 10:30 AM
I always liked Ben Howland. I think he's a good coach. He is just in the wrong place. If he does go, I wish him the best. As far as the game last night. UCLA lost their second best player to an injury. They would have beaten Minn. with Adams. They would have also given Florida a very good game, and most likely Kansas too. The Pac 12 is looking good so far. Sometimes, it's just time to move on. Ben Holland did a very good job of coaching this year, and winning the Pac 12 this year is honorable as the conference was much tougher.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-23-2013, 10:31 AM
A former player and college basketball coach who's still connected in west coast basketball told me a few weeks ago that the general belief in the basketball community is that UCLA, through various sources and means, "invested" about $500,000 to acquire the services of Shabazz Muhammad for a year. About $200,000 of this was to the pay the salary of Phil Mathews who UCLA lured from Nebraska to be an assistant because of his ties to Muhammad and his slimy father, Ron Holmes (the Bull Stewart of Las Vegas).

For that half million they got one year of play from Shabazz. Maybe one should say half a year because he never played a bit of defense.

Howland will likely lose his job. Mathews, too.

And the half million dollar investment? He missed a lay-in on his final shot as a college player.

It seems altogether fitting and proper, as Lincoln would say.

I saw the second half of that game because it was the only good game on, and I couldn't believe my eyes when he missed that. What a joke.

zagamatic
03-23-2013, 10:38 AM
The fanbase, alumni and media have made that job so unattractive that I can't imagine anyone actually WANTING THAT JOB. Therefore, UCLA will either have to settle for someone they don't want or will have to throw historic money at someone.
This is just my opinion of course.
And being fully aware that I have criticized coach Few, the lesson to be learned here is that the only judgments that should be cast upon a coach or program at the end of the year is this....did they get the most out of the team. Effort, schedule, style of play, etc. That and did they do things with regard to the rules including the spirit of the rules, not just the letter of the law.
No matter what happens today, I have no questions about our teams morals or futures. I truly believe we have a clean program full of what will no doubt be successful in whatever they do for years to come.
But I also reserve the right to question certain coaching moves just like I reserve the right to question my government.
That oughtta about do it for this post I guess

webspinnre
03-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Yep, Howland is a quality coach. He'll land on his feet, somewhere with a better fit. UCLA just sounds like a mess right now.

vandalzag
03-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Any respect went out the door when he said that the "power conferences" should not be playing Mid Major schools. He wrote the book on the fluffing up your RPI and hiding behind your conference play.

DixieZag
03-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Wow. That article is written by either a beat writer or columnist and either way it is someone that knows the program well.

The tone of that article seemed to paint Howland as a sympathetic figure. whether he is or not I have no idea but they sure paint the team in the most negative light of all. Not caring about winning or losing in the NCAA tournament? Caring more about individual stats than listening to the coach?

Makes me almost hope that Howland gets a nice mid-major job somewhere where he can just coach.

Angelo Roncalli
03-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Yes.

Make that #!<$ yes.

kclubfounder
03-23-2013, 11:12 AM
It's the Todd Marinovich story all over again.

And my bet is will end similarly.

Oregonzagnut
03-23-2013, 11:15 AM
The problem with the coaching job at UCLA is you will always be compared to John Wooden. Since there is no NFL football, los angeles is a basketball epicenter. You have Hollywood and big media treating you like overbearing and controlling parents who are never satisfied.

About the only coaches who could fit in UCLA are the big money coaches like the Pitino and Calipari types. UCLA needs a personality that fits into the highest most unrealistic expectations possible.

Maybe Bob Knight? Knight is such a disciplinarian and that is what UCLA needs. L.A. media would let Knight do what he wants and they might even accept his style of coaching. With the recruiting power Knight would have, UCLA would be the scariest team in the Pac 12 by far.

Birddog
03-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Not caring about winning or losing in the NCAA tournament? Caring more about individual stats than listening to the coach?
That's an AAU carryover. It's all about getting to the "next level".
I don't have much sympathy for Howland, he shouldn't have let the housekeeper make his bed.

Marcus
03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Why would anyone want to coach a program where you have no control over anything. It sounds like the recruitment of Shabazz was out of his hands, at least a little bit. When the admin is pulling strings to hire asst coaches for your staff, boosters and aau coaches are at every turn with side deals. You can't discipline anyone because of this or that promise to this or that guy. What a mess.

MDABE80
03-23-2013, 12:01 PM
The father sounds like a half witted hustler. This type of thing is ALWAYS discovered. It's just a matter of time. Who pays for this crap? The school and future players. Those administrators who were complicit should be terminated and forced to give their salaries back.
When does "active" participation become "passive"......and does it matter? Likely it doesn't matter. This culture we're in has become corrupted. Honest guys do the right thing when nobody would know or is watching. We just don't have stand up people in so many places these days. Be grateful for what we have here at GU.

Zagnificent
03-23-2013, 12:06 PM
If Howland goes, do that re-open the recruitment of Zach Levine? I'd still love to see that dude in a Zags uniform.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2013, 01:29 PM
whats new? sam gilbert....shabazz was a mutt all year. walton all but said that time and time again.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2013, 01:51 PM
The father sounds like a half witted hustler. This type of thing is ALWAYS discovered. It's just a matter of time. Who pays for this crap? The school and future players. Those administrators who were complicit should be terminated and forced to give their salaries back.
When does "active" participation become "passive"......and does it matter? Likely it doesn't matter. This culture we're in has become corrupted. Honest guys do the right thing when nobody would know or is watching. We just don't have stand up people in so many places these days. Be grateful for what we have here at GU.

half witted? thats too much by half, doc.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2013, 01:52 PM
If Howland goes, do that re-open the recruitment of Zach Levine? I'd still love to see that dude in a Zags uniform.

what makes u think Zach didnt get a deal, too? thats the way it works in Westwood......

Hoopaholic
03-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Disgusting

Vanzagger
03-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Don't throw stones. Bad things happen everywhere.

Also, go out and get some 5 star. You don't have to sell your soul. If coach is everything we hope he will figure it out.

vandalzag
03-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Don't throw stones. Bad things happen everywhere.

Also, go out and get some 5 star. You don't have to sell your soul. If coach is everything we hope he will figure it out.

Stars do not win, nor do they make a program. Romar has 5 stars, Howland has 5 stars. And if you have not noticed the coach has figured it out. He would not touch a kid like shabazz if somebody put a gun to his head.
Results speak for themselves.

Bocco
03-23-2013, 02:32 PM
what makes u think Zach didnt get a deal, too? thats the way it works in Westwood......
Some have told me, albeit USC and Husky fans, that - that's the way UCLA boosters have worked it in Westwood since St John coached there.

Vanzagger
03-23-2013, 02:33 PM
VandalZ....What's your plan B if Tommy decides to leave?

vandalzag
03-23-2013, 02:40 PM

If you think the Tommy is the only coach who recruits you are showing your ignorance. Each coach on the staff recruits. The only coach we can't lose is the man at the top.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2013, 02:42 PM

Zagger, what are you getting at? Please illuminate.

Hoopaholic
03-23-2013, 02:45 PM
The real demonstration of a coaching staff is to routinely find diamonds in rough and make them special....few does very well at that....

Personally many 5 stars simply don't fit the entire package and mold my beloved zags want and expect. Let the slimeball, disgusting cheat at all cost programs deal with those issues

Vanzagger
03-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Tommy got us some 5* already.

kclubfounder
03-23-2013, 02:57 PM
If you think the Tommy is the only coach who recruits you are showing your ignorance. Each coach on the staff recruits. The only coach we can't lose is the man at the top.

My advice to you is to utilize the ignore feature on this website. I have it set for one user and one user only.

One of the great moves of my internet life.

vandalzag
03-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Tommy got us some 5* already.

So what is your point? You keep spouting off about recruiting 5 stars, but you say Tommy "got us some" already. There are zero 5 star rated recruits on the roster. There is however a roster full of basketball players who have bought into the program and who have developed their game. Much as it has been for the past 15 years. Which is the complete opposite of your idea to go after 5 star recruits such as shabazz.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2013, 03:15 PM
So what is your point? You keep spouting off about recruiting 5 stars, but you say Tommy "got us some" already. There are zero 5 star rated recruits on the roster. There is however a roster full of basketball players who have bought into the program and who have developed their game. Much as it has been for the past 15 years. Which is the complete opposite of your idea to go after 5 star recruits such as shabazz.

I'm with you on this one VZ. Trying hard to parse his point.

Bocco
03-23-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm with you on this one VZ. Trying hard to parse his point.

Nothing to parse, there is no point other than to stir the #0t.

sittingon50
03-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Ah, a little game day edginess.

Fortunately we're not all in the same proximity as the guys in the MSU huddle!

;)

bartruff1
03-23-2013, 03:53 PM
I would rather have a waterfront cottage with a dock on Utsalady Bay...