PDA

View Full Version : GLE = biggest mins in the biggest games?

raise the zag
03-22-2013, 05:59 PM
I must say, and couldn't help but notice, Guy-Landry Edi played fairly significant minutes vs the most athletic teams this season.

Wichita St reminds me of Oklahoma, and to some extent, a more refined Clemson. Essentially, athletic players, strong defensive mindset, tough rebounders, questionable offensive shooters/players.

Point is, GLE played his [reserve] most mins vs these type of teams, with great team success by Gonzaga.

For instance:

vs West Virginia -- 22 mins
vs Oklahoma -- 19 mins
vs Clemson -- 18 mins
vs Baylor -- 15 mins
vs K-State -- 14 mins

All Zag victories against teams that can out-jump, rebound, defend, we did well, but with key mins by Guy.

Obviously, vs the skilled teams or athletically limited teams, Mike Hart is the right answer, yet what about the Southerns, Wich St's, etc?

Is Guy-Landry needed vs these type of Tourney teams?

Remember Nevada in 2003? This Wich St team resembles that group: all hustle, athleticism, and on a mission to prove themselves and their conference.

Just something to consider against this type of Wich St team.

We will struggle with their athleticism and quickness on defense and the offensive boards. Hopefully, we can match their prowess and moxie tomorrow.

A part of me would like to see 10-15 mins out of GLE, from simply a match-up standpoint...he could thrive in this type of game.

What do you think?

NEC26
03-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Maybe but he hasn't even been seeing the floor period lately so its hard to see him getting significant minutes now unless there is foul trouble.

Birddog
03-22-2013, 06:07 PM
GLE has trouble scoring, doesn't play "D" as well as Hart, jumps real high.

DixieZag
03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
GLE's minutes dropped when he began to turn it over way too often.

GLE would be rotating with Hart and Barham if he simply didn't commit the crucial turnovers. TOs kill tourney teams.

Stick with what got us here, we are the 1 seed, make them adjust to us.

NEC26
03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
I actually think the biggest thing that hurts his playing time is the turnovers. He is more of a threat offensively than Hart and maybe not as good as a defender but its the turnovers and the bad handle that cost him playing time imo.

Edit: looks like Dixie beat me to the punch there.

23dpg
03-22-2013, 09:18 PM
I could have sworn that GLE came into the Southern game at the end of the first half. The announcer credited Bell with the defense, but I thought I saw Edi.

Hoopaholic
03-22-2013, 09:21 PM
You saw correctly

Bocco
03-22-2013, 09:21 PM
I could have sworn that GLE came into the Southern game at the end of the first half. The announcer credited Bell with the defense, but I thought I saw Edi.

ESPN box score showed him with 1 minute of playing time in the game.