PDA

View Full Version : Gottlieb

mihalevich
03-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Im not as much as a Gottlieb hater as most here but two comments he made during other games yesterday really got to me..

- after showing Pat Riley in stands (he was scouting) and announcers referring
to his championship rings, Gottlieb said "Utah and its fans wouldn't know anything
about championships, would they"....what the heck, came out of nowhere...what does the state owe you money or something?

-he was commenting on Harvard's athletic play and said they must have lowered
the standards for admission to get these players admitted (paraphrasing)...
really doug? your going to say that without proof? that is slap in the face to the players...

Birddog
03-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Yesterday in one of the studio segments they were talking about the Wichita/Pitt game and how ugly it was. One of the guys said something to the effect that Gottlieb's mere presence at the arena must have kept the shooting %'s so low. I got a good chuckle out of that.

Worthington
03-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Gottlieb is a massive tool. He just has an air about him that makes him so unlikeable. Having said that, I think his basketball knowledge is higher than a lot of the other talking heads.

Gonzdb8
03-22-2013, 08:49 AM
has everyone forgot what the "E" in "ESPN" means? every story needs a bad guy. they need a gottlieb to stir sh*t up and rile up fan bases. hours upon hours of the talking heads respectfully agreeing or politely disagreeing with each other makes for bad television (same way it would make for a boring message board) you know how the teams that gottlieb disrespects can shut him up? WIN!

former1dog
03-22-2013, 08:52 AM
has everyone forgot what the "E" in "ESPN" means? every story needs a bad guy. they need a gottlieb to stir sh*t up and rile up fan bases. hours upon hours of the talking heads respectfully agreeing or politely disagreeing with each other makes for bad television (same way it would make for a boring message board) you know how the teams that gottlieb disrespects can shut him up? WIN!

Yeah, but he works for CBS. Your point still applies, though.

Zagobserver
03-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Zach Hillesland, a former ND player (who was awful..but somehow started...as he acknowledges) has blogged for the NY Times the last few years during the tournament..

He had this to say about Gottlieb. Brilliant if you ask me.

"The only thing worse than Pittís offensive performance is any and everything that comes out of Doug Gottliebís mouth. He has clearly chosen negativity as his overriding life philosophy, and itís an absolute drain having to listen to him for more than five minutes.

I feel bad for his broadcasting partner, Spero Dedes, and for anyone watching this game. That poor guy is doing his best to maintain a shred of positivity to the broadcast, but has thus far proven no match for the depths of Gottliebís darkness."

Zageist
03-22-2013, 09:46 AM
He must know something, he said MWC was great and we see how they're performing.

sittingon50
03-22-2013, 10:02 AM
They need to team Doug with Bill Walton. That would be great, as long as you've got a strong producer who can step in and say "guys, we're 5 minutes into halftime. You can stop talking for a bit."

MDABE80
03-22-2013, 10:12 AM
They need to team Doug with Bill Walton. That would be great, as long as you've got a strong producer who can step in and say "guys, we're 5 minutes into halftime. You can stop talking for a bit."

lolol/....... good one 50^. If those two got together, there MIGHT be a game going on but their chat wouldn't include it.

The blogger for the TIMES described Doug perfectly. He's not long for the "booth".

titopoet
03-22-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't know. I think has a future. Donald Trump could take him under his wing and turn his mouth into a money maker. Stupid sells. And if Stupid sells, Credit Card Doug is sitting on a Goldmine (after all he sits on his brains)

teacher56
03-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Im not as much as a Gottlieb hater as most here but two comments he made during other games yesterday really got to me..

- after showing Pat Riley in stands (he was scouting) and announcers referring
to his championship rings, Gottlieb said "Utah and its fans wouldn't know anything
about championships, would they"....what the heck, came out of nowhere...what does the state owe you money or something?

-he was commenting on Harvard's athletic play and said they must have lowered
the standards for admission to get these players admitted (paraphrasing)...
really doug? your going to say that without proof? that is slap in the face to the players...

Yeah, ole Gottpuke does have a way of making one feel all fuzzy inside.
He does'nt care who he steps on.
You go a head and condone him if you want but to me he is a plick!

LongIslandZagFan
03-22-2013, 11:20 AM
That NY Times quote is a great piece of awesomeness. Absolutely brutal, yet totally fitting and correct. Just plain awesome.

CDC84
03-22-2013, 11:22 AM
He has no business announcing basketball games. As a day time talk show host, he's fine.

madness
03-22-2013, 11:27 AM
He has no business announcing basketball games. As a day time talk show host, he's fine.

Exactly...for as much as CBS invests in this tournament, why staff these horrible announcer teams?

Somehow there needs to be a Gus Johnson clause with Fox just for 3 weeks of CBS usage.

CDC84
03-22-2013, 11:37 AM
He's even more unbearable when teamed with Steve "I don't know when to shut up" Lappas during the Mountain West Conference games on the CBS Sports Network......

Birddog
03-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Zach Hillesland, a former ND player (who was awful..but somehow started...as he acknowledges) has blogged for the NY Times the last few years during the tournament..

He had this to say about Gottlieb. Brilliant if you ask me.

"The only thing worse than Pittís offensive performance is any and everything that comes out of Doug Gottliebís mouth. He has clearly chosen negativity as his overriding life philosophy, and itís an absolute drain having to listen to him for more than five minutes.

I feel bad for his broadcasting partner, Spero Dedes, and for anyone watching this game. That poor guy is doing his best to maintain a shred of positivity to the broadcast, but has thus far proven no match for the depths of Gottliebís darkness."

PRICELESS and spot on the money!

Zag79
03-22-2013, 12:28 PM

Bingo. Not only that, what he has said regarding the Zags isn't that far off. For one, our schedule didn't turn out nearly as tough as we had hoped it would. Not many games against ranked squads, and the usually good teams we play just weren't (Baylor, BYU, WV, etc). For two, most of our "big" wins are over teams that didn't make the dance and those that did are being ushered out as if they don't belong in the first place. So in reality our schedule didn't test us like it would if we were in a better conference, and by our showing yesterday "the mouth" isn't that far off... So far. Win and we can shut everyone up, period.