PDA

View Full Version : I am really proud of our Zags

Reborn
03-22-2013, 05:02 AM
I watched the game again last night and I thought Gonzaga played a pretty good game. When you watch the game a second time, a few hours after it's over, they always look better. The second half was so exciting. And we WON. The back to back to back shots by Pangos and Bell broke Southern's back finally. When I read the posts after the game yesterday, I would think Gonzaga played horrible, and they DID NOT. Kelly got 21 pts, 17 in the second half. That sounds normal for Kelly. I think Pangos and Bell played great games, and I don't understand all the negativity. Pk played great and Sam played good. Stockton was stellar really. To me only one player who had a sub-par game was Elias Harris, and several of his missed shots were fouls.

I also watched the Witchita State game, and the Zags will take them down. The score of that game was due as much to Pittsburg playing their worst game of the year, and it was not because Witchita State played so great. I did not see Witchita St as all "that tough." They are not as good as Kansas State, Oklahoma State, or Butler. Imo they are not as good as Davidson. And they are NOT as good as St Mary's. The reason the final score was the way it was (73-55) was because Witchita made 31 free throws (most in the last 4 minutes), most at the end of the game when Pitt was fouling to try to catch up. Most of Witchita's points also came in the last 5 min of the game when they were pressing and Pitt had given up hope. Honestly!!! Witchita St played almost as bad as Pitt for two thirds of the game. I didn't see them knocking down 3 pointers. They shot as poorly as Pitt. I didn't see them dominating down low. Honestly, they are not as tough defensively as Southern, and I guarantee you that Pitt was not as tough defensively yesterday as Southern was. Don't let the media hype about Witchita St sending GU home tomorrow get to you. If you haven't come to understand that the espn "TALKING HEADS" want the Zags to lose, then I guess you're not hearing very well.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 05:19 AM
I watched the game again last night and I thought Gonzaga played a pretty good game. When you watch the game a second time, a few hours after it's over, they always look better. The second half was so exciting. And we WON. The back to back to back shots by Pangos and Bell broke Southern's back finally. When I read the posts after the game yesterday, I would think Gonzaga played horrible, and they DID NOT. Kelly got 21 pts, 17 in the second half. That sounds normal for Kelly. I think Pangos and Bell played great games, and I don't understand all the negativity. Pk played great and Sam played good. Stockton was stellar really. To me only one player who had a sub-par game was Elias Harris, and several of his missed shots were fouls.

I also watched the Witchita State game, and the Zags will take them down. The score of that game was due as much to Pittsburg playing their worst game of the year, and it was not because Witchita State played so great. I did not see Witchita St as all "that tough." They are not as good as Kansas State, Oklahoma State, or Butler. Imo they are not as good as Davidson. And they are NOT as good as St Mary's. The reason the final score was the way it was (73-55) was because Witchita made 31 free throws (most in the last 4 minutes), most at the end of the game when Pitt was fouling to try to catch up. Most of Witchita's points also came in the last 5 min of the game when they were pressing and Pitt had given up hope. Honestly!!! Witchita St played almost as bad as Pitt for two thirds of the game. I didn't see them knocking down 3 pointers. They shot as poorly as Pitt. I didn't see them dominating down low. Honestly, they are not as tough defensively as Southern, and I guarantee you that Pitt was not as tough defensively yesterday as Southern was. Don't let the media hype about Witchita St sending GU home tomorrow get to you. If you haven't come to understand that the espn "TALKING HEADS" want the Zags to lose, then I guess you're not hearing very well.
I can't speak to the Wichita State game because I didn't see it.

From watching the Southern game in person and then most of the first half over again on my DVR, your assessment is right on. Southern is a good team. It required a good effort by our guys to win.

ZagMan in Philly
03-22-2013, 05:22 AM
I am really proud for the fact that they did not let the pressure get to them, but instead made shots to win the game. Many teams in that position would play tight, not the Zags, and two sophomores did it, that was awesome.
We played in a few tight games on the road this year, and did well, so It helped.

Zags can beat any team, and Any team can beat the Zags. At this stage, just survive and advance.

Go Zags!

MickMick
03-22-2013, 05:53 AM
Beltran had an awesome game. Can create his own shot and can knock down threes. Combine that with their leaping big that can block shots, make hook shots from eight feet, their team speed that can get back in transition defense, and you have the makings of a dangerous team.

Much respect for Southern. They would be serious challengers in the WCC.

bigblahla
03-22-2013, 05:59 AM
Southern was a good team and it's unfortunate the haters will harp more on their negative perspective of the Zags than give the Jaguars the accolades they earned and deserved.

Officiating was awful in the paint but officiating is just awful period. Seems there is not a ref in D1 who has ever read the rule book. E and Kelly got mugged but played through it.

I'm not going to say there are no athletes in the WCC because that's just bull but Southern as a Team is more athletic than any team we faced in the WCC. We would make a play and they would counter it was a heck of a game.

Can we play better, Yes but Southern had a lot to do with how we played and we still won the game.

As coach Few said there are no style points awarded for victory it's "Survive and Advance" nothing more nothing less. I truly believe this game is a spring board for the rest of our tournament, a huge wake up call that if you don't value each and every possession your season can come to an end.

Our Zags earned the right to stand up and proclaim the one word every team in the tournament wants to say. NEXT! :D

Go!! Zags!!!

cjm720
03-22-2013, 06:02 AM
God our sophomores are clutch!! Nice work fellas.

Elias, get it going!!

ZenZag
03-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Not a doubt in my mind that Southern was/is the strongest 16 seed in the tourney. I think this game was fabulous for the Zags. First game after a 10 day layoff, pressure of being the first 1 seed in school history with all the naysaying going on, a game that ended up feeling like a road game when the crowd got behind the "underdog", a very athletic team with a very hot shooter in Beltran.....etc etc.

Stick that W in your back pocket and move on to the next game....this tourney is the ultimate test of a team's "one game at a time" mental focus.....

GO ZAGS!

Reborn
03-22-2013, 06:12 AM
COME ON ZAGS!!! Kick some butt. We want to play in LA. You guys need to loosen up. I didn't see any smiling, or chest bumping and hip smacking. Don't ever forget how much fun you guys have playing together. And guess what? 16 teams went home yesterday, including Ok State, Pitt, New Mexico, and UNLV. We are still playing.

Go Zags!!!

zagfan24
03-22-2013, 06:16 AM
Nice post, Reborn. I needed that this morning - woke up feeling like we had lost yesterday and am grateful for the perspective. Were it not for the fact that the pundits are trumpeting their horns proclaiming that they were right about the Zags, I wouldn't have been as bothered by the game.

Gonzaga actually played fairly well for the most part, and I think a lot of credit for the close game should go to Southern. That said, we have a very level headed coach and very mature players who refused to be rattled by a team playing above their heads, some really questionable calls, and simply the pressure of the situation. Our sophomore guards played like seniors, David Stockton played a phenomenal game off the bench.

Here's to winning and moving forward.

Reborn
03-22-2013, 06:47 AM
It's been 4 years I think since the Zags have been to the Sweet 16. Saturday is the day the Zags "break on through to the other side." I think almost ALL fans believe this Zag team is at least a Sweet 16 team. So come on Zag fans. Let's get on confidence and push that "I BELIEVE" BUTTON. Get your heads up, up lift your spirit ZagNation. Let's get ready to uplift our Zags on Saturday. The Zags can do this. They CAN get it done. So stop doubting. Im smiling.......:D:D

I'm pushing my "I BELIEVE" BUTTON.

Go Zags!!!

teacher56
03-22-2013, 06:53 AM

Fantistic entry, Reborn!
You are so right on!
I was alittle taken by by the amount of people cheering for Southern but as my pardner put it, "We are'nt the underdogs anymore and if we had no stake in the fight we would be cheering for the underdog", so it kind of explains the crowd cheers.
And yes, I am dissapointed in the Gottpuks wanting us to lose but it is what it is.
I am confident we will do just fine.

RenoZag
03-22-2013, 06:59 AM
Zags can beat any team, and Any team can beat the Zags. At this stage, just survive and advance.

Go Zags!

My cardiologist agrees with you. . .

cjm720
03-22-2013, 07:05 AM
Not a doubt in my mind that Southern was/is the strongest 16 seed in the tourney. I think this game was fabulous for the Zags. First game after a 10 day layoff, pressure of being the first 1 seed in school history with all the naysaying going on, a game that ended up feeling like a road game when the crowd got behind the "underdog", a very athletic team with a very hot shooter in Beltran.....etc etc.

Stick that W in your back pocket and move on to the next game....this tourney is the ultimate test of a team's "one game at a time" mental focus.....

GO ZAGS!

Great perspective and couldn't agree more.

While an old fashioned beat down would have been nice, we haven't played in a while and have huge target on our back. A wake up call? Maybe. A W, yes. Next.

TacomaZAG
03-22-2013, 07:10 AM
Great posts, and I love the Doors reference about breaking on through. As KO said in a post game interview, "Any win in the Tournament is a good win". I couldn't agree more.

The rust is off............

Go ZAGS

LongIslandZagFan
03-22-2013, 07:20 AM
I am sure everyone has.a Mr. Schadenfreude in their office. Mine swung by my desk first thing this morning. He starts in on the Zags... I say, a W is a W... He continues on blabbering about 16 vs 1 seed...yadda yadda yadda.... I stopped him in his tracks with this...

"Are they playing on Saturday night? Because that is all that really matters"

Reborn
03-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Break on through to the other side. Break on through to the other side. Break on through to the other side. Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always loved that song. Always loved the Doors. Wow! That was a long time ago, but such great memories of a great time.

Go Zags!!!

former1dog
03-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Just want to be clear, in my honest opinion, Southern is a good team that played well against us. Gonzaga played well to beat them.

Its kind of weird for Gonzaga fans not to recognize the possibility that just because your team isn't a powerhouse, household name that it is possible for them to play great basketball. Anyone remember 1999?

Oh and I want Southern's band to play for Gonzaga. Holy cow are they good.

77Zag
03-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Great posts, and I love the Doors reference about breaking on through. As KO said in a post game interview, "Any win in the Tournament is a good win". I couldn't agree more.

The rust is off............
Go ZAGS

Not an excuse, but reality -- the Zags last game was on Monday March 11th -- 10 long days ago. It would be nice if NCAA would allow "tune up" games prior to the Dance. It's my take, if the Zags had played last weekend, like most did, we would not have been so....rusty.

Go Zags - Beat the Shockers!!

TexasZagFan
03-22-2013, 07:26 AM
I am sure everyone has.a Mr. Schadenfreude in their office. Mine swung by my desk first thing this morning. He starts in on the Zags... I say, a W is a W... He continues on blabbering about 16 vs 1 seed...yadda yadda yadda.... I stopped him in his tracks with this...

"Are they playing on Saturday night? Because that is all that really matters"

It's been that way for me, too. I pretty much used the same reply.

Survive and advance, that's the nature of the NCAA Tournament. Just ask Lobo fans.

I would have liked a larger margin of victory, if only to get Karno, Barham, and Dranginis more minutes. They will be needed before this thing's over with.

Reborn
03-22-2013, 07:28 AM
I look at this game kind of like the way I looked at the St Mary's game at Moraga. That looked like a pretty tough game for the Zags to win. However, because I have always believed that this Zag team is special, I really they'd go into Moraga and get the victory. And not only @ Saint Mary's but to follow that victory up with a win at USF was just a great part of the Zags' season.

Saturday's game will be no different. St Mary's playes great defense. Just ask Memphis who is definitely as physical as Witchita St. And St Mary's is definitely as good or better than Witchita St on offense. Sure, Armstead is a very good guard, but I think Delly is better. The Zags will figure out a way to get it done.

katman50
03-22-2013, 07:28 AM

Great post Reborn. Thanks for the rational and well thought out advance scouting. I felt fine after a tough win against a very good Southern team. Hope your analysis pans out and we get a nice win against Wichita State.

Zageist
03-22-2013, 08:00 AM
I love how this team doesn't seem to get rattled. They just stick with assignments and execute, they're controlling the things they can and trying to adapt to what they can't. Great team.

zaguarxj
03-22-2013, 08:30 AM
I agree with reborn 100%. The Zags faced a perfect storm, with Southern gaining belief with every made shot, with the crowd getting behind the underdog and the refs seeming to try to hand the game to Southern. But the Zags fought through the adversity, kept their cool, played hard and made courageous shots at the end. That was the kind of game most teams lose but champions win.