PDA

View Full Version : Elias says, in his own way, survive and advance

CDC84
03-21-2013, 09:56 PM
We’re not really here for style points,” said Elias Harris, who was held to five points, 10 below his average. “Everyone says we have to win by 30 and that doesn’t happen and everybody is going to say, ‘Do they really deserve a No. 1 seed? Is it that good a team?’

“But a win is a win, especially during tournament time a win is precious. We have to keep our heads high and come out with more energy in the next game. And just fight again.”

There's no time to look back upon bad performances that result in wins. You just need to keep moving forward in this tournament. There have been plenty of teams who played just as badly as Gonzaga did in their opening game today who went on to do great things in the NCAA tournament.

Zag79
03-22-2013, 12:13 AM
There's no time to look back upon bad performances that result in wins. You just need to keep moving forward in this tournament. There have been plenty of teams who played just as badly as Gonzaga did in their opening game today who went on to do great things in the NCAA tournament.

Only 7 out of the 25 one seeds have made it to the final four after winning their opening game by less than double digits, and none of them won the title. But I totally agree with E, here's to us being the one that does great things!

Birddog
03-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Only 7 out of the 25 one seeds have made it to the final four after winning their opening game by less than double digits, and none of them won the title. But I totally agree with E, here's to us being the one that does great things!
Wow, did you have to post that? What's the deal, do you work in Hospice or something? Way to make my day.

McZag
03-22-2013, 04:07 AM

How many 1 seeds from the WCC and based jn the NW have won the title?

Some stats just dont matter.

DCZag
03-22-2013, 04:40 AM
The only thing I learned in my stats classes in college all those years ago - you can make one up for anything

adoptedzag
03-22-2013, 05:55 AM
The only thing I learned in my stats classes in college all those years ago - you can make one up for anything

87% of stats are made up on the spot.

ZagMania
03-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Harris got especially rough treatment from the refs. Should have had a bunch of free throws IMO.

Regardless its a W, and I think the way we won it could be a blessing in disguise. Not because its a wake up call but Pangos and Bell have to have supreme confidence after such a gutty performance down the stretch. And Stockton is always a gamer.

jake
03-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Not to dwell on it, but while I agree Harris got some rough treatment, I thought he really struggled and didn't adapt his game to the referees and more importantly the opposition. He kept trying to go right into guys instead of taking the shots that were available. I like his attitude about the victory and fighting, but I think we'll need a better game from him on Saturday. I fully expect he will deliver.

sullyzag66
03-22-2013, 08:08 AM
The "embedded" CBS crew was in the locker room after the game. It looked like a losing locker room watching the players' demeanor. Few was reminding them that they had won the game and told them that they don't give style points, they give movin' on points. They gutted one out. Clearly, the lads were not satisfied and I think that bodes well for the rest of the tournament.

gamagin
03-22-2013, 08:23 AM
The "embedded" CBS crew was in the locker room after the game. It looked like a losing locker room watching the players' demeanor. Few was reminding them that they had won the game and told them that they don't give style points, they give movin' on points. They gutted one out. Clearly, the lads were not satisfied and I think that bodes well for the rest of the tournament.

Excellent post. We're going to come out on fire this Saturday after this rude awakening. We will leave nothing on the floor. We know what to do.

It's what makes this team so exciting. It's what drew CBS to them to begin with.

Unlike Southern, now WE can play the underdog role with nothing to lose, because the whole world now thinks we should lose anyway. You can look it up.

Zageist
03-22-2013, 09:45 AM

So you're saying there's a chance....

kyle dixon
03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
As Heister said prior to a WSU game a few years back, "It is time to strap one on." Sorry. I could not resist. Beat the Shockers!

sittingon50
03-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Yeah, but he was only safe doing such if his amphibious partner was in the vicinity!

Zag79
03-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Wow, did you have to post that? What's the deal, do you work in Hospice or something? Way to make my day.

:D It was a stat that popped up on the tv as I was reading CDC's post so I thought I would share. Glass half full, win and advance. Glass half empty, that game is a bad sign of what's to come. Glass is full of good beer, go Zags!!

229SintoZag
03-22-2013, 02:57 PM
In how many of those prior games did the 1 seed find itself in a bracket where the 12, 13, and 14 seed all won the first round game?

DixieZag
03-22-2013, 03:09 PM
In how many of those prior games did the 1 seed find itself in a bracket where the 12, 13, and 14 seed all won the first round game?

How many of those others were 16 seeds that could actually play?

I can't believe more people are not saying it. Sixteen seeds do not shoot 50% from 3 - with men in their face, they do not have a guard that takes it strong to the rim and hits fall back jumpers, they do not have big men and they certainly do not have big men that have rolling jump hooks from 8 ft. They also don't have coaches that manage tempo and set plays like theirs did.

I feel like Southern got a 16 seed b/c the SWAC always gets a 16 seed and no one on the committee had bothered watching them. I am not saying that Southern was a bunch of world beaters, but they looked a lot more like a normal 12-14 seed than they did a 16.

Southern would have beaten Pitt yesterday, they may have beaten New Mexico, Kansas State and Wisconsin (we'll never know).

Baldwinzag
03-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Elias, in his own way, needs to step it up.

He played with zero, zilch energy yesterday. He was taking lazy shots, not elevating, and his defense was lackadaisical.

He was a man on a mission in the WCC Tourney and thought it'd carry over, it hasn't thus far.

Yes, he did grab 8 boards, yet they were all defensive and by default after Southern had cleared.

He didn't engage himself yesterday, on boards, on offense, or even looking for the high-low option, which has been our forte' all season.

I am confident he will, indeed, step it up, but I was disappointed the most with Harris above all else vs Southern.

He can do so much better its unbelievable. He is better than that and he will play better.

Part of 'surviving and advancing' is playing better every. single. game.