PDA

View Full Version : Monitor rule needs to change

CDC84
03-21-2013, 09:47 PM
I don't know if anyone saw the end of that Marquette/Davidson game, but with a few ticks on the clock and Davidson up one, they committed a terrible turnover near halfcourt that gave the Golden Eagles possession. The refs went to the monitor, as they should, to get the time right. Buzz Williams used the opportunity to gather his team near his bench to draw up a winning offensive play. The only problem....Marquette didn't have any timeouts. That fake timeout allowed him to set up the perfect play for the game winner.

Bob McKillop said after the game that it was an unfair advantage and he is right. Monitor reviews shouldn't be used as improvised team timeouts.

It's not just monitor reviews...

They should also disallow "team gatherings" when a player fouls out of a game. A team should not be able to gather near their bench for 30-40 seconds after one their guys fouls out. The coach should only be allowed to make a timely substitution for the fouled out player.

JPtheBeasta
03-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Interesting points, and one of the many reasons why I enjoy this board...

I suppose one could argue that it also gave Davidson the chance to set their defense. It would come down to me which side gains the biggest advantage. However, I think the ability to design an offensive play is a bigger break. If GU had be given the opportunity to design/discuss a play in Indiana (I believe we were out of time outs), we most likely would not have lost to Butler.

GrizZAG
03-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Interesting points, and one of the many reasons why I enjoy this board...

If GU had be given the opportunity to design/discuss a play in Indiana (I believe we were out of time outs), we most likely would not have lost to Butler.

I believe we did have that chance. That's when the Butler player overheard MF tell our guys how to inbound the play.

CDC84
03-21-2013, 10:23 PM
McKillop also said that he was considering calling a timeout before that disastrous turnover (which happened after a Marquette guy scored to get the game to a one point margin), but he chose not to do so because he knew Marquette had zero timeouts. He didn't want them to set up their press.

Radbooks
03-21-2013, 10:34 PM
My mom and I were discussing the same thing. On reviews like that, especially at the end of the game, the players should not be allowed near their bench. They should have to gather at the center circle or something. It clearly gave Marquette a huge advantage today.