PDA

View Full Version : OT: How's that #1 RPI conference doing for you now?

adoptedzag
03-21-2013, 08:35 PM
It seems to me that the proof is in the pudding about the RPI, with the Mountain West's performance in the tournament so far. I understand that the games are all about matchups, but come on. There's no way the #1 RPI conference only has 1 win in the first 2 rounds. Gotta be a sham.

Hoopaholic
03-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Their only conference win came against an average at best Mizos team

Once and Future Zag
03-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Right now the WCC has more wins between the two teams that made the tourney than the MWC has with it's 4 teams that have played so far.

gozagswoohoo
03-21-2013, 08:42 PM
The WCC and MWC had the same number of wins today.

gozagswoohoo
03-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Right now the WCC has more wins between the two teams that made the tourney than the MWC has with it's 4 teams that have played so far.

Yes, this too. One more win, total.

NEC26
03-21-2013, 08:43 PM
I don't get the hostility towards MWC. The bcs conferences do this every year especially the Big East.

zagamatic
03-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Granted it's been a little while since I looked, but as I recall the best win they had against a "name brand" school was against ucla just after ucla lost to Cal-Poly. Color me impressed. NOT!

Once and Future Zag
03-21-2013, 08:45 PM
I don't get the hostility towards MWC. The bcs conferences do this every year especially the Big East.

It's about the talking heads saying the MWC was all that and that New Mexico should have been a #1 seed over GU, ad infinitum, ad nauseum, ad absurdum...

jazzdelmar
03-21-2013, 08:47 PM
It's about the talking heads saying the MWC was all that and that New Mexico should have been a #1 seed over GU, ad infinitum, ad nauseum, ad absurdum...

On that note how come Gotlieb didn't Come down hard on New Mexico? He was basically mum. Also why was it necessary to keep mentioning the Harvard scandal? As if New Mexico or any other BCS team doesn't have a scandal somewhere? It's all about rationalization People like Gottlieb can't understand why Harvard won.

Spike94
03-21-2013, 08:55 PM
And according to the announcers New Mexico was under a ton of pressure. Poor UNM.

sonuvazag
03-21-2013, 09:01 PM
I don't understand. All New Mexico does is win.

Ekrub
03-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Normally I would say that this loss doesn't define New Mexicos season but with all the #### we got and are continuing to get ill take a pass on being rational and fair. New Mexico = overrated

ZagLawGrad
03-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Some real unhappy Lobos leaving arena tonight

dpouley
03-21-2013, 09:20 PM

Not exactly true. The MWC has found a formula to take advantage of the RPI. They have done this for a couple years now, and it has produced increased numbers of MWC teams in the NCAA tournament. However, it has not increased the number of wins in the tournament.

Remember three years ago when a UW team that had to win the Pac 12 tournament to get into the dance, secured an 11 seed, then rolled the #3 seed New Mexico by 17-20 in the round of 32?

Last year Colorado had to win the Pac12 tourney to get into the dance, what did they do in the first round, beat #6 seeded UNLV.

The MWC is overrated, and has been.

NEC26
03-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Remember last year when the Big East lost all but their top teams in the first round? The Big East usually has 1 or 2 good teams and the rest are WAY over rated every year.

Zageist
03-21-2013, 09:25 PM
No hostility for mw, just watched the conf tourney and saw a lot of sloppy play, wasn't sure why the talking heads loved NM so much.

MJ777
03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Remember last year when the Big East lost all but their top teams in the first round? The Big East usually has 1 or 2 good teams and the rest are WAY over rated every year.

Syracuse looks like one of those good BE teams. Poor Montana.

Zageist
03-21-2013, 10:19 PM
It seems to me that the proof is in the pudding about the RPI, with the Mountain West's performance in the tournament so far. I understand that the games are all about matchups, but come on. There's no way the #1 RPI conference only has 1 win in the first 2 rounds. Gotta be a sham.

Tru dat!

TheGonzagaFactor
03-21-2013, 10:24 PM
The MWC is a joke they always flop hard in the tourney. What's their all time record in the NCAAs now? 12-40?

TheGonzagaFactor
03-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Syracuse looks like one of those good BE teams. Poor Montana.

And Pitt was one of the overrated ones. Too bad we can't embarrass ANOTHER Big East team on the first weekend for the 3rd year in a row.

MJ777
03-21-2013, 10:37 PM
The MWC is a joke they always flop hard in the tourney. What's their all time record in the NCAAs now? 12-40?

Agree except the year of Jimmer and that great SDSU team. Was that 2010 when the Zags got Jimmered?

Spike94
03-22-2013, 05:18 AM
It is quite probable that they will not get one team into the second weekend. Gotleib and the other "Experts" won't point out how they were wrong but that's ok. We will know. Listening to him and looking at his tweets its as if he predicted this would happen. They real experts are the ones on this board that were screaming about the MWC rigging the RPI. Everything is good though. Because after this tourney I won't have to listen to Gotleib again. I'm done with his show.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-22-2013, 05:52 AM
Colorado State has a good shot against Louisville if Iverson stays out of foul trouble. Should be a very close game at the end. IMO

Reborn
03-22-2013, 05:58 AM
And UNLV lost to a 12 seed. UNLV was supposed to be so GREAT. Talk about hype, and lack of knowledge by most "talking heads." ESPN should be embarrassed, as well as CBS with someone like Doug Gottlieb on their staff.

dpouley
03-22-2013, 06:20 AM
And UNLV lost to a 12 seed. UNLV was supposed to be so GREAT. Talk about hype, and lack of knowledge by most "talking heads." ESPN should be embarrassed, as well as CBS with someone like Doug Gottlieb on their staff.

I know this may be hard for many on this board to admit (understandably) and I know that I am biased (admittedly), but the Pac 12 was shortchanged on their seeding this year.

The Pac 12 was talked down, the MWC was talked up, and the selection committee just drank the kool aid.

Given what I saw out of New Mexico and UNLV yesterday, I am pretty sure BYU would have beaten each of those teams. Maybe the WCC should have gotten a third team.

NEC26
03-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Oregon was under seeded given what they accomplished when they had Artemis. Cal is going down next round and basically given a home game as a 12 seed UNLV is a better team than Cal and was screwed. UCLA was over seeded and will be knocked out by a mediocre Minnesota team today. Arizona is looking like a lock for the sweet sixteen and may be the best team from the Pac if they are playing well.