PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Wichita St...predictions/other thoughts

Reborn
03-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Gonzaga 75
Witchita St. 62

Gonzaga will play bettter Saturday. I'm glad everyone things we're lousy. Heck, I'm sure we will be the underdog. I don't know why everyone is so shocked by the way the first game went. I guess it's because we didn't kill them. The Zags played good enough for me.

This game kind of reminded my of the @USD game where they won much the same way. Following that game, the Zags began playing really well. They beat SMU and USF pretty good a couple of weeks later. Gonzaga has not always played their A game, but so far we have managed to win the games when we are not at our best. I know one thing for certain. This was not a good defensive game by the Zags today. Actually, I would say it was the worst we looked defensively since Illinois. I look to see the Zags get a whole lot more committed to playing tough basketball. Today, the way they played defensively, fed right into the talking heads' belief that Gonzaga is NOT tough. If anyone was watching today, they would pretty much believe everything Doug Gotlieb has been saying about the Zags.

Only the Zags can quiet that talk. And the way to do it is to come out and play another tough team TOUGH. WE CAN play alot tougher, now lets go out and do it, guys.

Go Zags!!!

Oregonzagnut
03-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Our guards had a rough time defending the perimeter again today, So I expect far more intense defense on Saturday. Not sure why Harris was off, but I think he will regain his inside presence again and we will finish around the rim better.

But if we can keep WSU honest and hit a few early threes we can win in similar fashion like we did against Southern. by about 7-10 points.

Gonzaga 75
Wichita 67

LongIslandZagFan
03-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Shockers 269
Zags 40

MickMick
03-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Score doesn't matter any more.

Valvano eeked out an improbable win against Pepperdine and beat Phi Slamma Jamma five games later.

DixieZag
03-21-2013, 08:19 PM
I just want to see our guys play loose. I am not sure they will loosen up Saturday.

All other issues aside, IMHO they played "not to lose" all game and they were a couple of threes and homer calls away from being the first 1 seed out.

In my mind, the scarriest thing is this team's fear of losing prior to the sweet 16, if they play that way again, we will be very vulnerable again.

I think they have learned their lesson. I think we will pick up the pace, I think that E will join the team again, he and Kelly will shoot confident mid-range shots as well as going to the hole, KP shots well again, Gary shots well and will be even more aggressive on Saturday (if so, then I am annointing him "Big Game Gary Bell").

Half- Zags by 5

GU - 66
Sx - 58

Oregonzagnut
03-21-2013, 08:19 PM
This Yahoo sport analyst is an idiot.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/gonzaga-exposed-fraud-203000510.html

We must kill Wichita st!

Harvard may take some heat off of us?

Zageist
03-21-2013, 10:39 PM

We must kill Wichita st!

That guy is a tool, scoreboard baby.

MJ777
03-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Zags 79 Shockers 71

Zag79
03-22-2013, 01:04 AM
I think they have learned their lesson. I think we will pick up the pace, I think that E will join the team again, he and Kelly will shoot confident mid-range shots as well as going to the hole, KP shots well again, Gary shots well and will be even more aggressive on Saturday (if so, then I am annointing him "Big Game Gary Bell").

32 minutes and 8 rebounds later, looks to me like E was with us. A few no calls aways from another solid game, no worried there. Need GBJ to keep being aggressive, the more assertive he is the further we go. Score: 62-60 Wichita State, or 72-60 Zags. :D

rawkmandale
03-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Score doesn't matter any more.

Valvano eeked out an improbable win against Pepperdine and beat Phi Slamma Jamma five games later.

Whoa - there is some history worth considering. I know I thought that Houston would KILL NC state in that game. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Especially since I was rooting for Houston LOL.

Crazy
03-22-2013, 01:28 AM

We must kill Wichita st!

I watch the game from Wichita State vs Pit and it was ugly, i haven't seen so many airballs(even one on a slightly contestet layup), since a while. And Pittsburg had many open shots. Wichita performed bette roffensively late in game, but overall that wasn't an astonishing offense too. I guess that both team are capable of more - but southern looks stronger then those teams yesterday with making many difficult shots.

Since we are not used to play athletic and "big" big men, i hope we can keep our "slight" adavantage on rebounding and force then to outside shots ;)

Zagger
03-22-2013, 03:25 AM
Zags 80 - Which-way-did-they-go? 65
Zags show HUNGER!
Go ZAGS!

RenoZag
03-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Listened to Shockers coach Gregg Marshall on ESPN Radio this morning on the drive to work. . . He gives much of the credit to his senior PG, Malcom Armstead, for their success, saying that as goes Malcom, so goes the Shockers.

Shockers Season Stats (https://admin.xosn.com/fls/7500/stats/mbasketball/2012/teamcume.htm?DB_OEM_ID=7500#TEAM.CMB)

Other info on WSU can be found at their Tournament Central (http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=206856397&DB_OEM_ID=7500) web portal.

bigblahla
03-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Zags by 1+ and that's all that matters.

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagLawGrad
03-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Pitt was so bad, boring game yesterday at the Arena. WSU not as good as the score suggested.

Our bigs make a major statement. Double digit win this time.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Bulldogs shock the Shockers.

12 point win.

stevet75
03-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Our guys are ready and have shaken off the cobwebs.

GU 76 WSU 55

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-22-2013, 07:36 AM
I predict that our kids will play harder than they did against Southern.

siliconzag
03-22-2013, 07:52 AM
I have watched them about six or seven times this season, and here are some of my observations

1) They are beatable. Creighton beat them twice, almost three times, and the one time the Jays lost it was predicated on a ridiculous flagrant foul against Grant Gibbs.
2) The Shockers win with excellent rebounding, especially offensive rebounding, and a very stingy defense. They guard the perimeter better than most teams. However they are vulnerable in transition. Best not to let their defense get too set.
3) Their coach is as smart as they come
4) They are bruisers inside and they know how to take the proper fouls.

In order to beat them, you need to shoot the ball well, especially midrange jumpers and three pointers. You cannot always look for the inside shot. They are excellent at stripping and ball stealing.

It is true that their main strength is not offense. They are counter punchers. They have one guy coming on strong at the end of the season, Armsted. He is the real deal.

I am not an apologist for Wichita, but they are a formidable team. The Zags must not be tentative and they better make sure everybody had their tetanus shots, because those guys bite. Let the balls fly, an open shot is the perfect shot. TAKE IT! Don't always try to force it inside, just because that is our strength. Their defense wants that. We can beat Wichita, but it is not going to be a cake walk, Zag fans.

Sii

Reborn
03-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Don't be deceived by the final score of Witchita St game yesterday. Final score 73-55. Now that score looks darn good, but here are some facts. Witchita St made 31-43 free throws. Yep. That's almost half of their points. I bet no one in the tournament came close to taking that many free throws. Pitt shot good from the free throw line, but they shot only 16-20. Both teams shot 80%, but Witchita made 17 more free throws.

This was a low scoring game until the last five minutes when Pitt had to press, and often foul because they got so far behind. It is a fact that Pitt does not play well when getting behind by double digits. They have a horrible press which led to a lot of layups for Witchita St.

WE all saw that Witchita St is a driving, penetrating team. Gonzaga's defensive strategy has always been to cut off the 2 point shots and make teams beat us from the 3 pt line. Witchita was 2-20 from behind the arc. That's 10%.

WE must remember that Witchita St is not Wisconsin, not Ohio St, and not Kansas City. We need to "break on through" and get to the Sweet 16 in LA. And we can.

Go Zags!!!

former1dog
03-22-2013, 07:56 AM
1) They are beatable. Creighton beat them twice, almost three times, and the one time the Jays lost it was predicated on a ridiculous flagrant foul against Grant Gibbs.

I know the transitive property doesn't really work in college basketball, but I feel good that the Bulldogs beat the Gaels, who beat the Jays, who beat the Shockers, twice!! :D

zag69
03-22-2013, 08:52 AM
My thoughts for the WSU game: Stay loose, control tempo, don't expect everyone to love us just because we're the Zags.

And ignore the announcers who call us the Zogs from Spokayne Warshington.

siliconzag
03-22-2013, 08:57 AM
I know the transitive property doesn't really work in college basketball, but I feel good that the Bulldogs beat the Gaels, who beat the Jays, who beat the Shockers, twice!! :D

Let me see. Harvard beat New Mexico, and New Mexico beat nobody, so does that mean that Harvard can beat nobody?

It's all about matchups F1D, you are an athlete, you know that. We can beat the Shockers, I agree, but a few guys need to step up their games, and I ain't saying who, lest I am tar and feathered, but you all know which fellas I am talkng about.

Sili

former1dog
03-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Let me see. Harvard beat New Mexico, and New Mexico beat nobody, so does that mean that Harvard can beat nobody?

It's all about matchups F1D, you are an athlete, you know that. We can beat the Shockers, I agree, but a few guys need to step up their games, and I ain't saying who, lest I am tar and feathered, but you all know which fellas I am talkng about.

Sili

Yep, yep. Reread my post. ;)

I know the transitive property doesn't really work in college basketball, but I feel good that the Bulldogs beat the Gaels, who beat the Jays, who beat the Shockers, twice!!

Count Shockula
03-22-2013, 10:21 AM
WE must remember that Witchita St is not Wisconsin, not Ohio St, and not Kansas City. We need to "break on through" and get to the Sweet 16 in LA. And we can.

Go Zags!!!

Not Kansas City? Please explain.

Also, it is Wichita, not Witchita.

WSU was 10% from the 3 point line and 59% inside the arc.

Some have ask about Creighton and how they won. As good as Gonzaga is, they don't have a scorer like McDermott (few teams do). At the MVC tourney final in St. Louis, WSU clearly decided they were not going to let McD beat them so he got a lot of defensive attention which left a lot of open 3 point shots for his teammates and they mad a lot of them. But they still just won by three.

In the 12-point Creighton win in Omaha, McD had 41 and CU set an opposing team shooting % record against WSU - they shot an incredible 70% for the game. WSU shot 53%.

This will be just the fifth game back for Ron Baker, a RS Freshmen who shows flashes of brilliance but couldn't hit anything yesterday. He does everything well though. Few turnovers, good passer, rebounder.

Good luck tomorrow. It should be a close game, but the Bulldogs are favored by six. Who knows.

primal23
03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Not Kansas City? Please explain.

Also, it is Wichita, not Witchita.

WSU was 10% from the 3 point line and 59% inside the arc.

Some have ask about Creighton and how they won. As good as Gonzaga is, they don't have a scorer like McDermott (few teams do). At the MVC tourney final in St. Louis, WSU clearly decided they were not going to let McD beat them so he got a lot of defensive attention which left a lot of open 3 point shots for his teammates and they mad a lot of them. But they still just won by three.

In the 12-point Creighton win in Omaha, McD had 41 and CU set an opposing team shooting % record against WSU - they shot an incredible 70% for the game. WSU shot 53%.

This will be just the fifth game back for Ron Baker, a RS Freshmen who shows flashes of brilliance but couldn't hit anything yesterday. He does everything well though. Few turnovers, good passer, rebounder.

Good luck tomorrow. It should be a close game, but the Bulldogs are favored by six. Who knows.

Meant, Kansas state, and the other is is typo. Calm down. Sensitive much?

BULLDOG#1
03-22-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm guessing the shockers will shoot better against the zags than they did against Pitt... jitters are gone, etc.

BUT... am I the only one that is glad that Pangos and Bell are dialed in on this floor? As good as KO was in the 2nd half, it was Pangos and Bell bombs that won the game.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Some have ask about Creighton and how they won. As good as Gonzaga is, they don't have a scorer like McDermott (few teams do).

Ever heard of Kelly Olynyk?

Count Shockula
03-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Ever heard of Kelly Olynyk?

He is a great player and an almost impossible match up problem.

But he doesn't score like McDermott. McD scores in every possible way from every possible part of the court.

Gonzaga is obviously much better balanced than Creighton.

adoptedzag
03-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Meant, Kansas state, and the other is is typo. Calm down. Sensitive much?

I'm guessing you're not the only one to misspell it, and they might feel that misspelling their team is as much a sin as someone mispronouncing "Gohn-zah-guh" :)

former1dog
03-22-2013, 11:10 AM
He is a great player and an almost impossible match up problem.

But he doesn't score like McDermott. McD scores in every possible way from every possible part of the court.

Gonzaga is obviously much better balanced than Creighton.

Exactly. But just so we're clear, Kelly is one of those special players who CAN score in a variety of ways. Beyond that, he can hurt the opposing teams defense in a myriad of ways beyond scoring.

Good luck to yours Shockers. BUT, not too much luck.

Count Shockula
03-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Wichita gets mispelled as Witchita all of the time. It isn't a sensitive spot. I was just pointing out the error. Wichita is not Chicago, but it is a big enough of a city that I am surprised how often is gets mispelled, including on sports tickers.

caduceus
03-22-2013, 11:38 AM
http://i.imgur.com/3PVATCq.png http://i.imgur.com/r2q1PII.png

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nba/the-method-in-march-madness-breaking-down-the-ncaa-tournament-by-the-numbers.aspx

*Note second round is round of 32, not what the NCAA calls it.

DixieZag
03-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Wichita gets mispelled as Witchita all of the time. It isn't a sensitive spot. I was just pointing out the error. Wichita is not Chicago, but it is a big enough of a city that I am surprised how often is gets mispelled, including on sports tickers.

I drove through Wichita a few years ago and was surprised that it was bigger than I thought and much nicer than I had thought.

Good luck, sort of. Hope both teams play well, and to seed.

Zagnificent
03-22-2013, 12:49 PM

First of all, he doesn't score like McDermott because he only plays half the game typically. Give him 40minutes and make him the #1, #2, and #3 options, and I bet he averages 30ppg. We're the Zags, and we don't need him to be the only option. Harris, Pangos, Bell, and Dower can all put up crazy numbers--and because of our scoring diversity, we're a more difficult team to prepare for than Creighton. If Wichita State had problems defending McDermott alone, I'd caution them to temper their expectations against the Zags. Sure, we didn't look like a #1 seed against Southern, and it's within the realm of possibility that we get beat by the Shockers. That being said, I'll take the points and I'll feel good about doing so.

Count Shockula
03-22-2013, 01:09 PM
First of all, he doesn't score like McDermott because he only plays half the game typically. Give him 40minutes and make him the #1, #2, and #3 options, and I bet he averages 30ppg. We're the Zags, and we don't need him to be the only option. Harris, Pangos, Bell, and Dower can all put up crazy numbers--and because of our scoring diversity, we're a more difficult team to prepare for than Creighton. If Wichita State had problems defending McDermott alone, I'd caution them to temper their expectations against the Zags. Sure, we didn't look like a #1 seed against Southern, and it's within the realm of possibility that we get beat by the Shockers. That being said, I'll take the points and I'll feel good about doing so.

Olynyk averaged five minutes per game less than McD. Olynyk is a great, great player but he simply is not the scorer that McDermott is.

Clearly the Zags have more options than CU does and will be the best team WSU has played this year by far.

McD basically had one great game against WSU in his entire career. So WSU did just fine against him defensively.

Zag@LMU
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Idc what count shockula says, there's a reason KO is a first team all American and POY finalist while McDermott is not. End of story, if you have a hard time with Doug, well, god help you with Big Kelz.

http://gyazo.com/50463405716ffd2d860fdd88ef764d4f.png?1363987852

Less usage and about 6 mpg less per game.

KO>DMD

MJ777
03-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Prediction, Kelly will score 16 tomorrow and, I think Karno scores 8 in the Zag victory.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Prediction, Kelly will score 16 tomorrow and, I think Karno scores 8 in the Zag victory.

Bold prediction.

Karnowski's got all the right tools, but his problem of late is that he is allowing defenders to "speed him up". He would be tremendously well served to take a page out of Kelly's book and just slow down. Make the simple play. Don't pivot into double teams.

Count Shockula
03-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Idc what count shockula says, there's a reason KO is a first team all American and POY finalist while McDermott is not. End of story, if you have a hard time with Doug, well, god help you with Big Kelz.

http://gyazo.com/50463405716ffd2d860fdd88ef764d4f.png?1363987852

Less usage and about 6 mpg less per game.

KO>DMD

Are you not much of a college basketball fan? McDermott was a consensus 1st team AA last year and has been in the discussion for POY all year.

And as I stated 2 or 3 times, McD had one great game against WSU.

KO will be a load down low. Maybe our 7'0" center will at least slow him down a tiny big.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
KO will be a load down low. Maybe our 7'0" center will at least slow him down a tiny big.

Just curious, tell us about your center?

Hoopaholic
03-22-2013, 02:25 PM
I suspect big Sam will do well from what I have seen as it relates to shockers style and ability....predict double double for Harris with hard attacks off the face up dribble

Zags. 68
Shockers. 60

Zag@LMU
03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Are you not much of a college basketball fan? McDermott was a consensus 1st team AA last year and has been in the discussion for POY all year.

And as I stated 2 or 3 times, McD had one great game against WSU.

KO will be a load down low. Maybe our 7'0" center will at least slow him down a tiny bit.

Not this year. Idc if he scored 100 ppg last season.

You guys haven't seen an inside tandem better than Harris and Olynyk all season. Both are excellent perimeter ball handlers for their size, they are stud inside passers, and both can shoot from anywhere on the floor. It will be interesting to see how hedging hard on screens works for you against our assist oriented guards on the pick and roll.

Count Shockula
03-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Not this year. Idc if he scored 100 ppg last season.
Do you really think that when the AA teams are released McDermott won't on there? Why are you so defensive?

KO is a great, great player, but not a scorer like McDermott that has to be guarded all of the floor.

He presents a different set of challenges for WSU than McDermott.

Hoopaholic
03-22-2013, 02:48 PM
You have some good athletic semi long guards that can slow down and reasonably contain McDermott....I honestly do not see your ability to matchup with ko post or face up. For me that is the difference

Zag@LMU
03-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Do you really think that when the AA teams are released McDermott won't on there? Why are you so defensive?

KO is a great, great player, but not a scorer like McDermott that has to be guarded all of the floor.

He presents a different set of challenges for WSU than McDermott.

I'm not defensive, and no I do not see him being a first team all American. He is his teams main scoring threat. The offense runs through him, so of course he will get his. I hope your team had the same attitude towards guarding Olynyk that you do. You'd be amazed how well a 7'0 converted point guard can shoot threes.

Count Shockula
03-22-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm not defensive, and no I do not see him being a first team all American. He is his teams main scoring threat. The offense runs through him, so of course he will get his. I hope your team had the same attitude towards guarding Olynyk that you do. You'd be amazed how well a 7'0 converted point guard can shoot threes.

McD will be a fist team on many AA lists.

My attitude about KO? That he can't score all over like McD? B/c he cant?
He shot 27 3s all year.

I am not diminishing KO's ability whatsoever. I have stated many times he is a great, great player and will get his points and rebounds vs the Shockers.

He certainly is likely to get his season averages in points and rebounds and maybe higher.

WSU's frontline is 7'0 and 6'8, with 6'8, 6'8 and 6'9" off the bench. It isn't as if you are playing a team with a small front line.

NEC26
03-22-2013, 03:00 PM
They are both great players not sure what this argument is about. Last I checked WSU is playing GU not Creighton. I just hope WSU doesn't find their range in a big way against us after shooting so poorly the game before. Count Shockula who are the three point threats on your team?

Zag@LMU
03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
McD will be a fist team on many AA lists.

My attitude about KO? That he can't score all over like McD? B/c he cant?
He shot 27 3s all year.

I am not diminishing KO's ability whatsoever. I have stated many times he is a great, great player and will get his points and rebounds vs the Shockers.

He certainly is likely to get his season averages in points and rebounds and maybe higher.

WSU's frontline is 7'0 and 6'8, with 6'8, 6'8 and 6'9" off the bench. It isn't as if you are playing a team with a small front line.
My point is their skill sets are not comparable. There is not another 5 in the country who is 7'0 and can do what KO does on the offensive end. It's apples and oranges, but his skill set at his position makes Olynyk much harder to defend than McDermott.

zagco
03-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Can we call them WIZZU?

Count Shockula
03-22-2013, 03:08 PM
WSU likes shooting 3s even if their % is low.

All of the guards and wings like shooting them.

Without looking at the stats, I would say the point guard Malcolm Armstead, wing/power forward Cleanthony Early are the primary threats from three.

Defensive specialist Tekele Cotton really, really increased his 3% in the last two months.

Ron Baker is the wild card. This will be just his 5th game back from a December stress fracture Most of his shots looked good yestrday, but none went in.

I suppose the odds say WSU won't shott 10% again from 3, but WSU is not a good 3 point team. And FWIW, WSU shot nearly 60% from inside the arc.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 03:14 PM
WSU likes shooting 3s even if their % is low.

All of the guards and wings like shooting them.

Without looking at the stats, I would say the point guard Malcolm Armstead, wing/power forward Cleanthony Early are the primary threats from three.

Defensive specialist Tekele Cotton really, really increased his 3% in the last two months.

Ron Baker is the wild card. This will be just his 5th game back from a December stress fracture Most of his shots looked good yestrday, but none went in.

I suppose the odds say WSU won't shott 10% again from 3, but WSU is not a good 3 point team. And FWIW, WSU shot nearly 60% from inside the arc.

Just to make Zag fans pull their hair out, some random dude on your team is going to have a career best night shooting threes. But, Gonzaga will still win. Happens to us a lot.

Count Shockula
03-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Just to make Zag fans pull their hair out, some random dude on your team is going to have a career best night shooting threes. But, Gonzaga will still win. Happens to us a lot.

That happens to WSU too - but we usually lose those games!

RenoZag
03-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Since the tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985, # 1 Seeds have played # 9 seeds 58 times in the second round .

The W - L Record for the # 1 Seeds: 54 - 4 ( 93% )

Prediction: Gonzaga- 75, Wichita State- 70.

Go Zags ! Beat the Shockers !

Zags11
03-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Zags win 72-58. Kelly with 27. Harris a so-so gm again. Believe the guy 6'8 and 240 will cause him trouble. The back court will have bell with 14, kevin with 12. Stockton with 7.

novazag2
03-23-2013, 06:46 AM
Zags 66
Shockers 61

It will be a grinder, as Few likes to say.

GoZags
03-23-2013, 06:52 AM
Zags 66
Shockers 61

It will be a grinder, as Few likes to say.

I'm expecting a gut wrenching win -- similar to the victory the Zags had over WSU's coach Marshall in the '05 14/3 game when they beat his Winthrop squad. Wichita State is better than Winthrop, and then this year's Zags are better than '05's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fssaJVz5h4E)

Zageist
03-23-2013, 07:40 AM
The only thing I know for sure is that the more folks (experts) look at it, the more they talk, the dumber they sound. GU beats a 16 seed that hit 10 3s and only scored 16 points on 2 point shots and they're "exposed" as frauds. WSU/Pitt play one of the ugliest, most inefficient games I've ever seen, they're favorites. KU beats 16 WKU by almost the same score as the GU game (and that's thanks to free throws at the end) and the experts don't talk about it. My prediction: whatever GU does haters will hate.

bartruff1
03-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Gonzaga 75-69

Reborn
03-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Zags win 72-58. Kelly with 27. Harris a so-so gm again. Believe the guy 6'8 and 240 will cause him trouble. The back court will have bell with 14, kevin with 12. Stockton with 7.

Most likely, Hall (the 6'8" 240 lb post player) will guard Olynyk. Olynyk will take him outside, and get him into foul trouble hopefully. Elias will most likely be guarded by 6'8" Early, 6'8" 215 lbs. This is the game that Eias can do well in, in my opinion. Olynyk as well. Honetly, Gonzaga is nothing like Pitt. Our strength (inside post players) was Pitt's weakness. If Pitt had gone inside more they would have had more success. Pitt was content with jacking up 3's. Don't be surprised if Gonzaga wins going away by 17 the way they did at St Mary's.

Reborn
03-23-2013, 10:16 AM
It's GAMEDAY everyone. Zags are fighting to reach the Sweet 16 for the first time in four years. We are ready for the battle. I'm really looking forward to see how Kelly Olynyk does. I think he's ready to show America how dominating he can be. And Elias too. This is a game that our bigs can dominate and show America who are really the tough guys. Toughness can also be defined as inner strength and an unbending will to win. But we also have physical strenth as well. Kansas State is tough. You could see that the second half yesterday in their game against La Salle. They totally dominated LaSalle in the second half. Unfortunately they just got off to a lousey start. Butler is tough. And believe it or not, St Mary's is tough. They held a very effective offensive team, Memphis, to 54 points. The toughness issue will be put to rest today, imo.

Zags! If you want to be the best Gonzaga team ever you will go out onto the court today and prove it. Now go and do it.

Go Zags!!!

siliconzag
03-23-2013, 10:31 AM
It will be an epic struggle. They have a great inside defense. We have a great inside offense. The question is, which will prevail. I wouldn't bet this game at all. My brackets predicted this matchup, and I have the Zags going on, but it was the game that bothered me the most before Atlanta. Wichita is better than most people on this forum are giving them credit for.

Toccate ferro ragazzi.

Sili

Reborn
03-23-2013, 10:36 AM
It will be an epic struggle. They have a great inside defense. We have a great inside offense. The question is, which will prevail. I wouldn't bet this game at all. My brackets predicted this matchup, and I have the Zags going on, but it was the game that bothered me the most before Atlanta. Wichita is better than most people on this forum are giving them credit for.

Go Zags!!!

Toccate ferro ragazzi.

Sili

Love ya, Sili. And because of your thoughts on Wichita St I too picked them over Pitt. But I think you underestimate GU's strengh inside. I do think that Pitt represents a team who has good post players. IMO, if Pitt had gone inside more they may have won. Pitt spent to much time jacking up 3's. Is Wichita St tough? Heck yes. But what I think most people miss is how tough Gonzaga is.

I am glad you picked the Zags. You'll feel good after the game. Yes, I agree it's a tough battle but not an epic one. The epic ones are still yet to be played in the following weeks.

Go Zags!!!

rennis
03-23-2013, 11:10 AM
WSU is a team that is hard to get a real bead on. They shelled Pitt, which tells you about all you need to know about their ability to ball.

If the crowd is pro-Gonzaga I like our chances. If the Shockers build any kind of a lead and the crowd turns, a-la Nevada/Seattle in 2004, I'll start to worry.

Based on just what I would envision happening a true neutral court, I'd say a 7 point win for GU, 71-64.

I hope the intangibles and reffing don't determine the outcome, and we see a great game.

:cheers:

rennis
03-23-2013, 11:11 AM

Toccate ferro ragazzi.

Sili

Or I could have just quoted you. My bracket is clearly matching yours, and I've been saying for about 3 weeks that GU's toughest game before a possible E8 showdown with Ohio State would be this round, this game. It all comes down to this

Kiddwell
03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
We Got Energy, a poem
<ahem>
Roses are red,
Wichita's shockers
Fall to the Zags,
Who have scorers & shot-blockers.

-------
Prediction:
Batteries Runnin' Low - 61
Zags Fully Charged - 88
:adored:

:]

Reborn
03-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Don't play to prove yourself to those who aren't believers. Play for those who do believe in you and who do love you. Play for West Coast basektball, and represent this whole region. Play for all those young basketball players who will be watching you today, and wonddering if it's the school, the the basketball program, for them. All of ZagNation is behind you, guys, and supporting you with all we have.

Go Zags!!!

rawkmandale
03-23-2013, 03:01 PM
100 minutes to go. I'm thinking:

Gonzaga 68
Wichita State 67

Club Prez
03-23-2013, 04:06 PM
There have been some blowouts today. Not this game, but the Bulldogs win by double-digits (barely).

Gonzaga 69
Wichita State 58

:clap:

bballbeachbum
03-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Don't play to prove yourself to those who aren't believers. Play for those who do believe in you and who do love you. Play for West Coast basektball, and represent this whole region. Play for all those young basketball players who will be watching you today, and wonddering if it's the school, the the basketball program, for them. All of ZagNation is behind you, guys, and supporting you with all we have.

Go Zags!!!

BAM!!!

Every team is good. Just win and the rest is irrelevant

DoMieD
03-23-2013, 04:20 PM
May the basketball gods be forvever in our favor .. Please!

ZagDaddy
03-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Zags walk out to center circle for the tip-off, shake hands with Wichita St players and immediately forfeit. Few reports that they are just too scared to play as "ath-uh-let-ick" a team.

I think I might be spending too much time on the internet....:fingergun:

Go Zags!