PDA

View Full Version : Feelings towards GU after Southern gm.

Blitzing-Zag
03-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Wow......I thought it would be bad, but reading other boards, articles and listening to media talking heads the bash-lash against us is incredible. I am praying that we come out Saturday and put forward a much better showing than what we did today so that we can show outsiders who the Zags really are.

NEC26
03-21-2013, 05:14 PM
It just doesn't matter at this point. We control our own destiny no reason to worry about what others think.

WallaWallaZag
03-21-2013, 05:24 PM
to be expected...zags were less than impressive today. worry about the next game.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-21-2013, 05:27 PM
It's like we're party crashers and everyone wants us to go home. Instead, I suggest we drink all the beer, flush a few cherry bombs down the toilet, and win this thing!!!

FuManShoes
03-21-2013, 05:29 PM
It's the story of the whole season: Zags win but face doubts about their legitimacy. It won't end until they cut down the nets in Atlanta. Part of it is aesthetics. This team doesn't look intimidating, or sprint to the finish. But it wins. Kinda like Butler did a few years back. At least that's my hope.

Hoopaholic
03-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Cherry bomb it is california

Mantua
03-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Give it time. There aren't many shocking awful losses for the media to chew on yet.

Not playing great in the first game, gives the team a chance to dedicate themselves to reach goals in the next. I bet they come out much stronger against Wichita. I think Harris lost his way when the refs didn't call the fouls close to the basket. They need his toughness and his leadership to play well and he just wasn't there today. Fortunately, Harris disappearing is an unusual occurrence this year. He'll probably be back with a vengeance.

McZag
03-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Marquette is getting the same treatment. They need stories and expectations are sky high.

Saturday is the championship game of this two game tourney. Thats all that matters.

Oahuzag
03-21-2013, 05:40 PM
I feel like I do after every game- Our team is the BEST!!

;)

McZag
03-21-2013, 05:54 PM
I feel like I do after every game- Our team is the BEST!!

;)

And the winner is.......this!

JPtheBeasta
03-21-2013, 05:54 PM
I thought this was likely to happen- the Zags looking less than stellar- because we seemingly have so many defensive teams in our bracket.

Just win baby. The W is beautiful, any way you can get it.

caduceus
03-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Seth Davis just now after a recap of the GU game:

"A lot of people are questioning whether they should be a number one seed, questioning whether they were that great coming out of the West Coast Conference. And if you doubted Gonzaga, they certainly gave you a lot of fodder to keep on doubting. And now they get a very scrappy and tough Wichita State team in their next game. And they better be able to play and meet the physical presence of the Shockers if they're going to win that game."

Zagger
03-21-2013, 06:00 PM
I saw Zags balk on open shots. When the Zags are tentative ..... you get a game like this one. I especially would like to see Hart shoot. He was WIDE open too many times (more than 1 is too many for me). If Hart is not going to shoot that leaves 5 opponents to cover 4 Zags. I fully appreciate that Hart is one of the reasons that the Zags are #1. But, every Zag is going to have to bring what they've got if we're going to get very far on Saturday or beyond. Yes, SU played well and made tough shots. But, it is the NCAA Division 1 Tournament. Everyone's best play is expected. I saw some good play by the Zags but I felt there was a bit missing and I didn't feel that SU played that good of a defensive game - good but not that good.

I never felt the Zags were going to lose today. But I did feel that the overall level of play by the team (teamwork) was lacking. I feel pretty confident that we'll see a bit of a turnaround on Saturday - today being a bit of an eye opener for the team.

Go Zags!

bartruff1
03-21-2013, 06:04 PM
I thought this was likely to happen- the Zags looking less than stellar- because we seemingly have so many defensive teams in our bracket.

Just win baby. The W is beautiful, any way you can get it.

All our games are likely to be grinders till we get to the FF if we do...

How do I feel ??...Even more proud of them......that was clutch at the end.

That Pangos is one cool customer and they and he will remember this when things get tough down the road and they will...

gamagin
03-21-2013, 06:07 PM
I saw Zags balk on open shots. When the Zags are tentative ..... you get a game like this one. I especially would like to see Hart shoot. He was WIDE open too many times (more than 1 is too many for me). If Hart is not going to shoot that leaves 5 opponents to cover 4 Zags. I fully appreciate that Hart is one of the reasons that the Zags are #1. But, every Zag is going to have to bring what they've got if we're going to get very far on Saturday or beyond. Yes, SU played well and made tough shots. But, it is the NCAA Division 1 Tournament. Everyone's best play is expected. I saw some good play by the Zags but I felt there was a bit missing and I didn't feel that SU played that good of a defensive game - good but not that good.

I never felt the Zags were going to lose today. But I did feel that the overall level of play by the team (teamwork) was lacking. I feel pretty confident that we'll see a bit of a turnaround on Saturday - today being a bit of an eye opener for the team.

Go Zags!

well said. I think Hart is going to "go off" for 6-10 points very soon for the very reasons you suggest. It also might occur that Barham is just not as ready as MH to take the right shot. Nor does he get the look.

So do it MH.

to your second point, we needed leadership. Both Seniors had a less than stellar first half. That was the leadership until DS hit the floor and began managing things the way they needed to be managed.

RenoZag
03-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Hart would rather have a root canal without novocaine than shoot an open jump shot.

I love his grit, his defense, his moxy. . .but he needs to take a few shots to keep the defense honest. . .How many times did we hear Gottpuke say " Don't worry about # 30. .he never shoots the ball."

Zags need more scoring. Mike can help. 6 -10 points ? I would take that in a hartbeat. . .

MickMick
03-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Zags beat SCU 85-42.

Did that solve the bashing?

Zags could have won by 50 and there would be no difference.

Any bashing on Kansas about TCU now?

No.......because collective memory only lasts about one game.

Tip your cap to Southern and move on.

The hand wringers can take Tums and the Few bashers can kiss my a$$.

Take note that this board member isn't remotely close to throwing this team under the bus. Zags beat the Shockers.

Zagger
03-21-2013, 06:56 PM
.....Tip your cap to Southern and move on........
Right! But, we just gotta vent at times. When you know how well the Zags can play and you see them not playing as well as you've hoped they would .....
Time for a reality check. Zags won! Thanks Zags for keeping the season alive so we can blither on yet again about another Zag game! I really don't want this season to end - the team has said as much too. Do I think it will end Saturday against Wichita - NO! Not a chance! Go Zags! We'll be rooting for you where ever we are. And, when the season does end - we'll be one proud bunch of fans! Great year!

MDABE80
03-21-2013, 07:10 PM
It was a substandard performance for us. We won..not big but we won. Such tentative shooting though. KO, Stock. Barham.all looked but decided NO too frequently.
At this point in the season, we need to toughen up again and make those shots. We won't go further without better shooting. Wichita is a very good, athletic defense team.
I hate it when the country seems to rise up against the Zags.and surely parrating much of what Gottlieb says, and there are others. Vitale was on for a 5 minute period and flat out side....Gozaga's season is over. It ends with Wichita. stuff like that rankles.....and the fans just parrot the Seth Davises as well.
Every God8amn genius has to have something to say. Every team has a bad game so?
I say screw em. We win verdicts on the court. We don't answer to anyone. We go out, toughen up and let em crow........screw em (again).

Zag4Hire
03-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Bear in mind, most people don't follow college basketball whatsoever in general and a bunch of people follow March Madness who haven't seen a game all year long. I was envisioning soon after the game Jim Nantz talking to Clark Kellogg during the FF, "You know, Gonzaga hasn't been challenged like this since their opening game against the Southern Jaguars."

gamagin
03-21-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm going to dig out my bookie's number and make a good sized bet that a renewd, different, energetic Zag team will appear against Witchita Saturday. And win. I hope the betting & the line are HUGE against us.

I just know it. This is a group that can figure out whatever it takes. They've done it all season long.

Wh.AT.eV.eR It t.A.k.E.S. ! !

Fancygolfpants
03-21-2013, 07:37 PM
I want to see Doug 'Doug' Gottlieb turn into a pillar of salt on national television.

jwalk
03-21-2013, 07:45 PM
This team has struggled to play "Zags Ball" when they have had over a week off between game. They had 9 days off between games this time. I think the rust has been shaken off with this scare. I expect to see a different team come Saturday. There were flashes during this game of the Zags were are used to, but not consistent throughout the entire game. They will put it back together again and come out and play consistent ball throughout the next game.

I am under the belief now that most of the talking heads are doing just that "Talking" just to bring up their ratings. There has been little to no analysis of the game during the post-game shows and a lot of opinions.

GO ZAGS, beat Witchita State!!!!!!!!!!!

MDABE80
03-21-2013, 08:34 PM
If the biggest story of the weekend is that the Zags only won by 6 or nearly lost by 6, this tournament is in trouble.......

Disappointed media trying to keep the the BCS teams in the spotlight........

Zageist
03-21-2013, 09:48 PM
I feel better than N. Mex fans....

Zag79
03-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Say what you will but for hoops talk (which this board is for), that game was ugly. We won, but to ignore that we were tied with a 16 seed just minutes away from losing... Yikes. Do I think we will win Saturday? Yep. Are our players and coaches good, do they give their all, and am I thankful for what we get to see every year? Yep.

The game itself could have been the biggest bellyflop in basketball history, it's ok to address that after the fact. The game left me feeling like we were lucky to win, and shocked that it was that close to an epic fail. As for Saturday, I expect to see a great performance and I hope we smash Wichita State. I think we will, can't wait to shut everyone up.

ZagaZags
03-22-2013, 12:50 AM
I think this close game helps us for the next game.

Crazy
03-22-2013, 01:48 AM
If the biggest story of the weekend is that the Zags only won by 6 or nearly lost by 6, this tournament is in trouble.......

Disappinted media trying to the the BCS teams in the spotlight........

I am very sure, that they would make a story about every close game from a #1 seed. I think the winning streak is a good story for them, and i find it also intresting.

If we beat Wichita state, i am pretty sure this game is forgotten if not we maybe get in a row with the #1 seeded Perdue team which ahd trouble in first round and failed in the second round after having discussion prior to this game if they deserve the seed or not. So we should better win the next game ;)

Zagger
03-22-2013, 03:22 AM
:agreed:
Go Zags! Kick Which-way-did-they-go's Butt! Make their heads :explode:

scott257
03-22-2013, 03:37 AM

That is so true. New Mexico and UNLV both lost yesterday. That is one tough conference!

northsidezagfan
03-22-2013, 04:11 AM
Bilas was complimentary of the Zags last night. Said thay they had a closer game than they wanted, but they made plays to win the game, pointing to the late 3s by Pangos and Bell. He didnt think the game said anything negative about the Zags.

DCZag
03-22-2013, 04:35 AM
We've covered this same ground earlier in the season:

We beat WSU (RPI 189) 71-69
We beat USD (RPI 165) 65-63
Now its Southern (RPI 180) 64-58

We win even when we don't play our best games and the other team is making every prayer....difference is, in years past we lose.

On to Wichita State!

teacher56
03-22-2013, 05:09 AM

Disappinted media trying to the the BCS teams in the spotlight........

Talk about under the radar!
I went back and looked at Southern's schedule and low and behold their wins were blowouts and their losses were close. I for one totally underestimated them until I revisited their schedule. Mark Few was right, they are a good team, better than advertized. Southern played a smart game. After they realized they could'nt run with us that kept changing the tempo and it almost worked for them.
We looked tenative at times...almost looked overcoached.
Hart won't shoot. We know that. But why was Kelly not taking open 3's instead of driving into triple teams?
And some of those late calls were tacky, me thinks.
We lived to play another day and thats what really counts at the end of the day.
We have'nt had two bad games in a row (if this was an under par game for us) so thats good. I expect us to play much better next game now that we have survived the cobwebs and rust and whatever else. I thought DS played one of his best games of the year.
Now we need to go out and play Gonzaga basketball.

Robzagnut
03-22-2013, 06:03 AM
Survive and Advance

...Jim Valvano

I watched that 30-for-30 show again last night at 11:00. Lots to learn about winning and about life in those 2 hours. It doesn't matter what others are saying, they've been saying it all year. All that matters is GU got the W and advances. Will it matter tomorrow against WSU that it was a 6 point win or a 30 point blowout? This team is special and they know how to win.

Who cares what it looks like and what others are saying.

I saw clutch, clutch plays down the stretch by Pangos, KO, Bell and Hart. Lesser teams would have folded under the pressure, the crowd looking for an upset and the refs trying to give the crowd what they wanted. This team did not and will not fold.

EngineerZag
03-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Having attended the game in person, I didn't like the feeling in the arena from the moment the game started. Our guys were tentative and uptight, and Southern was loose, confident, and had some serious mojo. The crowd and refs were primed for an upset.

All in all the reason this game was so scary was that we let Southern be the aggressor and we played back on our heels all game. You could see it in the body language of our players. Wichita State beat Pitt by 18 because they "played angry" according to their coach. You can bet they will continue that against us tomorrow. Are we going to let them be the aggressor? Or are we going to be tough and impose our will instead?

cjm720
03-22-2013, 07:07 AM
We're damned if we do, damned if we don't. We're expected to win, yet expected to lose. Whatever. Win and advance.

cjm720
03-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Having attended the game in person, I didn't like the feeling in the arena from the moment the game started. Our guys were tentative and uptight, and Southern was loose, confident, and had some serious mojo. The crowd and refs were primed for an upset.

All in all the reason this game was so scary was that we let Southern be the aggressor and we played back on our heels all game. You could see it in the body language of our players. Wichita State beat Pitt by 18 because they "played angry" according to their coach. You can bet they will continue that against us tomorrow. Are we going to let them be the aggressor? Or are we going to be tough and impose our will instead?

Good post...we need to be the agressor, we need to be teh #1 team in the country. Get loose and win and advance.

Kiddwell
03-22-2013, 07:45 AM
The surprise, from this fan's view, was those blocked shots against Elias. Southern's frontline was really fanatical. Plus, Southern had guys who don't normally make shot...making shots. (Few mentioned the same in the post-game interview.)

In this fan's view Southern played a really ugly game in their conference title tilt, then come out and played like "folks possessed" against the Zags.

Zags survived, though, and advanced. Beat Wichita State!

Useful link: http://www.google.com/search?q=ncaa+bracket+2013&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

:]

TexasZagFan
03-22-2013, 07:47 AM
The surprise, from this fan's view, was those blocked shots against Elias. Southern's frontline was really fanatical. Plus, Southern had guys who don't normally make shot...making shots. (Few mentioned the same in the post-game interview.)

In this fan's view Southern played a really ugly game in their conference title tilt, then come out and played like "folks possessed" against the Zags.

Zags survived, though, and advanced. Beat Wichita State!

Useful link: http://www.google.com/search?q=ncaa+bracket+2013&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

:]

+1...IMHO, more than one of those "blocks" were two-shot fouls.

gamagin
03-22-2013, 08:10 AM
And I agree with him.

I' m paraphrasing, but he said we might have taken southern for granted. he added there "was no excuse for not bringing energy into the game from the get go. bring the energy and the rest will come out."

That is what we did not do. It is also something we can fix easily and for athe rest of the tourney.

Zagcity
03-22-2013, 08:23 AM
We've covered this same ground earlier in the season:

We beat WSU (RPI 189) 71-69
We beat USD (RPI 165) 65-63
Now its Southern (RPI 180) 64-58

We win even when we don't play our best games and the other team is making every prayer....difference is, in years past we lose.

On to Wichita State!

Spot on!

gamagin
03-22-2013, 08:47 AM
<< Today, 09:08 AM sullyzag66
The "embedded" CBS crew was in the locker room after the game. It looked like a losing locker room watching the players' demeanor. Few was reminding them that they had won the game and told them that they don't give style points, they give movin' on points. They gutted one out. Clearly, the lads were not satisfied and I think that bodes well for the rest of the tournament.>>

This says it all.

Excellent post. We're going to come out on fire Saturday after this rude awakening. We will leave nothing on the floor. We know what to do.

It's what makes this team so exciting. It's what drew CBS to them to begin with.

Unlike Southern, now WE can play the underdog role with nothing to lose, because the whole world now thinks we should lose anyway. You can look it up.

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Bocco
03-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Same as I did before the game - pleased, appreciative, and proud..

Pleased that the Zags won. Appreciative that these players chose to come to Gonzaga to play basketball. Proud of what then have accomplished this year - 16-0 undefeated in conference, WCC tourney champions, #1 ranking in the polls, #1 seed. Proud of a team that gritted out a win against a team that played a great game.

No matter what happens the accomplishments of this group of players can never be taken away from them.

UberZagFan
03-22-2013, 11:50 AM
There's been more bashing of GU in their win than of Pitt or Wisc in their losses--two teams that many of the so-called experts had knocking GU out of the tourney.

Zag79
03-22-2013, 12:56 PM
There's been more bashing of GU in their win than of Pitt or Wisc in their losses--two teams that many of the so-called experts had knocking GU out of the tourney.

A loss in an 8/9 or typcial 5 losing to a 12 game will never equal the uproar of an already over rated labeled 1 seed being moments away from losing to a 16 seed. I don't understand the confusion by that, I was more surprised by the outcome of our game than any other. Hope the fellas come out and take it to Wichita St, and shut everyone up at the same time.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 01:01 PM
A loss in an 8/9 or typcial 5 losing to a 12 game will never equal the uproar of an already over rated labeled 1 seed being moments away from losing to a 16 seed. I don't understand the confusion by that, I was more surprised by the outcome of our game than any other. Hope the fellas come out and take it to Wichita St, and shut everyone up at the same time.

Well the problem is, seeds don't play the games. Teams do.

Southern didn't care about being a 16 seed. They just came out and took it to us. They played well. Really well.

Gonzaga beat a good team that played well.

Zag79
03-22-2013, 01:38 PM

Southern didn't care about being a 16 seed. They just came out and took it to us. They played well. Really well.

Agree on seeding, but there is a reason that 1 seeds are 113-0 against and usually dominate 16 seeds. Yesterday was as bad as it gets without being the first team to take an L as a 1 seed, no matter how you spin it. And its ok to accept or understand that, it means nothing going forward. Win and advance!

former1dog
03-22-2013, 01:50 PM
it means nothing going forward. Win and advance!

We can agree on this, brother!

rawkmandale
03-22-2013, 01:52 PM

This is all TRUE, but doesn't do anything to repel perception. We won't get much respect until we beat a "big name" team.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 01:54 PM
This is all TRUE, but doesn't do anything to repel perception. We won't get much respect until we beat a "big name" team.

I'm having fun with all these conversations. Lets beat the Shockers!

Unbiased
03-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Best post in this thread

gamagin
03-22-2013, 02:11 PM

barkley said during today's talkathon that there's no excuse for team not bringing all their energy to the game. Said you have to play to win. especially one seeds, which are generally not used to being the attacked as much as being the attacker.

But he said there is no excuse for failing to bring it. and that is what I saw and you saw close up. The hype & responsibility caught up to us and the game suffered.

Lesson learned, I believe. Thanks for the post.

Hoopaholic
03-22-2013, 02:21 PM
I knew we were in for long afternoon when we walked the ball up off rebounds early....not a good sign from my perspective

upan8th
03-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Tweet yesterday from LA Times' Chris Dufresne: "Shocker coach Gregg Marshall just plopped down at press row in Salt Lake with a salad to scout his next opponent Southern, er, I mean Gonzaga".

Think Gregg's a little disappointed in the result? That would be a BIG hell yeah.