PDA

View Full Version : Is a Olynyk/Dower/Harris frontcourt NOT worth a shot?

Oahuzag
03-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Aloha all,

Busy family life has me lurking as often as I can, but couldn't resist a quick post to pose a question for you all:

Would it be a stretch to think Dower could get 20 minutes a game at the PF spot with Elias sliding to the SF occasionally?

I totally get Hart's contributions on defense, but wouldn't it be nice to see an occasional Olynyk/Dower/Harris lineup?

Add Bell/Pangos at the 2 with Stockton getting his minutes backing up the point, and I just see some amazing options from the high post, pick and roll, etc.

Dower seems to amaze me that he can come in cold off the bench and just drop buckets, and he's an actual threat spotting up outside...

I'm by no means bashing Hart- love his hustle, and he's a huge part of our team's rotation. I'm just wondering what it would be like for Dower to see more minutes in certain occasions, and not have Harris on the bench for too long...?

Anybody else think it could work? :cheers:

Anyhow, here's to our favorite Zags taking this baby deeeeeeep... And winning it all!

:allhail:

Back to your regular scheduled programming.

Much Mahalos,

Oahuzag

maynard g krebs
03-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Gotta dance with who brung ya. Can't change horses in the middle of the stream. I'm out of cliches.

If they haven't moved Harris to the wing in 133 games, it isn't gonna happen now.

Baldwinzag
03-21-2013, 04:28 PM
agreed that Dower should have seen more time. was calling for it all 2nd half.

Sam seemed pretty active underneath and his shots came closer to falling than Elias this game.

also, I liked Dower initiating contact while Elias was kinda floating at times.

personally, I felt Coach Few mis-managed our depth this game, but again, that's why I'm coaching from my armchair. I simply disagreed with not utilizing Sam more this game. Yes, Dower committed a silly foul early on and was never seen from again.

more Sam next time, especially when he's being aggressive with the ball. E was really out of it on offense.

Oahuzag
03-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Dower as an efficient offensively skilled player, and Hart with the scrappiness and ability to defend relentlessly.

I'd love to see us utilize that frontcourt depth a bit more creatively?

I can't imagine the nightmares it could cause in spots for the opposing team:

High/low action with those three guys on the court at the same time, with Pangos/Bell spotting up and Stockton dishing the dimes.

My crystal ball works best in hindsight. :D

Gotta dance with who brung ya. Can't change horses in the middle of the stream. I'm out of cliches.

If they haven't moved Harris to the wing in 133 games, it isn't gonna happen now.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-21-2013, 04:49 PM
would love to see it at times ...depending on opponent and situation

maynard g krebs
03-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Dower as an efficient offensively skilled player, and Hart with the scrappiness and ability to defend relentlessly.

I'd love to see us utilize that frontcourt depth a bit more creatively?

I can't imagine the nightmares it could cause in spots for the opposing team:

High/low action with those three guys on the court at the same time, with Pangos/Bell spotting up and Stockton dishing the dimes.

My crystal ball works best in hindsight. :D

Read you a bit wrong the first time. Thought you were saying EH play 20 min at the 3, which won't happen at this point. My bad.

Baldwinzag
03-21-2013, 05:16 PM
IF teams are going to continue to "pack-it-in" on E and Kelly all game, how do we adjust?

More 3-guard attack? Another scorer somewhere? Rotate more?

What can we do?

Because I guarantee Wichita is going to harass our bigs, take chances with someone else or guards free reign...kind of a brilliant game plan when we're playing 4 on 5 on O most the game.

Oahuzag
03-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Would've been answers to that question... And still wish they were able to be bigger parts of the rotation.

But that 5th scorer has to be able to efficiently score AND shoot from outside imho.

Dower isn't a slasher, but shoots a high percentage, and can legitimately stretch the floor. Maybe moreso than MH or DS at this point? I don't see why he can't see a few more minutes in a big lineup. Our front court depth is our strength, imho...

We're blessed to have such a team, don't get me wrong. It just seems sometimes I'm watching open shots get passed up, and opportunities passed up.

Man, if we could've squeezed out 12 points per game between Edi/Dranginis at the SF/SG spots this year... Damn.

IF teams are going to continue to "pack-it-in" on E and Kelly all game, how do we adjust?

More 3-guard attack? Another scorer somewhere? Rotate more?

What can we do?

Because I guarantee Wichita is going to harass our bigs, take chances with someone else or guards free reign...kind of a brilliant game plan when we're playing 4 on 5 on O most the game.

rawkmandale
03-21-2013, 07:01 PM
I'd be OK with it if the coaches wanted to give it a try, but important to note that Mike Hart had 7 rebounds in limited minutes today (2 were offensive).

jwalk
03-21-2013, 08:18 PM
I thought the stretch when we played both Kelly and Karno was our best stretch during the game.

roxdoc
03-21-2013, 09:32 PM
I kind of liked the Kelly - Karno look today too.

Also did anyone note that well into the second half, I think with maybe less than 10 min to go, only two people had scored in the half for GU: Kelly and GBJ (Not sure of the time, but it was a loooong time)

Zageist
03-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Would love it. But they're so deep, it's a good problem to have so many great players.

Crazy
03-21-2013, 11:12 PM
i asked me often why few don't do it, but this is not the time anymore to try new things. And i am very sure that Few have more insight and a good reason not to do it often before.