PDA

View Full Version : Southern Played VERY well:

SWZag
03-21-2013, 02:48 PM
But I have a lot of respect for Southern. They played tough and gave us a nerve-wracking game, one that I didn't expect. Hats off to them

Beat Wichita State!!

SWZag

BobZag
03-21-2013, 02:49 PM
They played out of their heads. Very impressed with them.

Meanwhile, survive and advance. Zags just did.

DixieZag
03-21-2013, 02:49 PM
I really don't want to hear all the histrionics about us being overrated.

We didn't play well, to be sure, but from what I saw, Southern would have beaten Pitt today - and possibly Wichita State. They balled! They kept themselves in the game with incredible shooting. They are also very very well coached.

The refs didn't do us ANY favors - that's all I will say.

Beat Wichita!

Bocco
03-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Agreed they plead a great game.

Mantua
03-21-2013, 02:51 PM
I agree, but the refs were confusing our guys throughout the game.

Zag@LMU
03-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Our play was inexcusable for the first 37 minutes. No other way to spin it.

Vanzagger
03-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Line up didn't. Can someone explain what up wit dat? Really? Keep sending out 3 six footers march genius.

Wow

NotoriousZ
03-21-2013, 02:53 PM
But we needed a close one to get ready for Wichita St.

Pitt would have been a dream matchup for us, but the Shockers are no joke. Now we're going to be in the right frame of mind for what should be an epic battle.

zagcheer78
03-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Granted they did play well but the calls from the refs kept them in the game.

We will be much much better on Saturday.

DixieZag
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Line up didn't. Can someone explain what up wit dat? Really? Keep sending out 3 six footers march genius.

Wow

"Kiddie" line-up is the only reason we won troll.

Name anyone over 6'2 not named Kelly that even showed up.

rawkmandale
03-21-2013, 02:55 PM
I agree that Southern played very well, and Showed Confidence. That was probably the key for them - nice job, Jaguars. Rob Sacre is proud of you, though probably glad you lost.

Birddog
03-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Wow
Do you really have to go there again?

TheZagPhish
03-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Huge credit to Southern. They make my heart race. :eek:

GU69
03-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Whew. Tough game.

Southern played very well, and a little over their heads.
And the refs made several weird calls to help keep it close.

But the Zags did a great job of playing through that and surviviing.

Hoopaholic
03-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Dixie...mike hart showed up and he is taller than 6'2

Zag@LMU
03-21-2013, 02:58 PM

Wow

Lol you are a joke. Seriously.

vparcher
03-21-2013, 02:58 PM
But I have a lot of respect for Southern. They played tough and gave us a nerve-wracking game, one that I didn't expect. Hats off to them

Beat Wichita State!!

SWZag

Does that surprise anyone?

rawkmandale
03-21-2013, 03:00 PM

7 rebounds for Hart (2 offensive) in limited minutes.

Bocco

Wow

So who do you think should have been on the floor? The problem was not with Bell, Pangos and Stockton. Really...you need to change your name to trollzagger

spike_jr
IMHO Giacoletti's defensive game scout stunk too

NotoriousZ
03-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I really don't want to hear all the histrionics about us being overrated.

We didn't play well, to be sure, but from what I saw, Southern would have beaten Pitt today - and possibly Wichita State. They balled! They kept themselves in the game with incredible shooting. They are also very very well coached.

The refs didn't do us ANY favors - that's all I will say.

Beat Wichita!

Save the no call near the end with Pangos' reach in on the driver, you are correct. I kept thinking, what if this was Duke? Would the refs dare to pull this crap? But thank the good Lord for Pangos and Bell's HUGE shots to close out the game. Love this team!

Cavebear33
03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Southern played a great game, I was very impressed. They really came to play and took it to the Bulldogs the whole game. Gonzaga didn't have one of their best outings but thankfully lived to play another day. Refs were ... well, refs, while the game announcers turned into cheerleaders half the time. "No athletes like that in the WCC, there just aren't" - really?

Bulldog
03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Defensive intensity was lacking.

Blitzing-Zag
03-21-2013, 03:05 PM
The Southern players were clutch all day, I'm glad we won, but I would love to not have to have a heart-attack most games we play. In order for us to beat Wichita St we have to play much much better offensively, but especially defensively.

Hoopaholic
03-21-2013, 03:06 PM
I personally would change the title to. Southern shot the lights out

We dominated in every other aspect of the game ( except blocks)and many of the alleged blocks were clear fouls

thickman1
03-21-2013, 03:07 PM

Wow

I usually agree with you Vanzagger but today you're flat our wrong. Stockton gave them fits when he came in the game and he was as cool as the other side of the pillow. Give credit where credit is due and stop beating a dead horse.

combatcorpsmangulaw
03-21-2013, 03:07 PM
My wife and I counted 5 seconds of the Southern Center in the Key.

We won -- that's about it. Southern showed us that we need to play the game wire to wire. Perhaps it was the 2 week layoff that put our team in neutral for the first half or the fact that Southern's athleticism took us by surprise.

I give Southern and their coaches a lot of credit. Southern was prepared and came to play and almost sent us home w/ a large degree of embarrassment.

Well, now that any 'rust' we had due to the layoff should be gone -- we need to get rid of any vestiges of being the Number 1 team and adopt an attitude that we are the underdog. That mind set seems to gear the team up.

At any rate, onward and upward.

Go Zags!!

dezag
03-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Well, at least this game will quiet all our critics.

FuManShoes
03-21-2013, 03:09 PM
I was relieved by the play of Pangos, Bell and Stockton - those threes came at very opportune times - and am a little concerned about Harris. He looked slow and lacked explosiveness. Maybe it was that he was so far under the basket, but something seemed off and he started forcing things. Hoping it was just a matchup problem, though guys aren't gonna get any shorter and less athletic as we go.

The officiating was unnerving but I won't and don't think we can use that as an excuse - Southern played really well and shot lights out and hustled like crazy. Hats off to them and hats off to GU for weathering a real challenge and moving on. Gonna need some fire and rebounding to beat WSU.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-21-2013, 03:10 PM
That is a tough group of kids who played their hearts out. If they were playing anybody else, I would have been pulling for them to get that historic win. Their coaches had a great game plan and got their kids ready to play the game of their lives.

Well done, Jaguars. :clap::clap::clap:

Saxon_zag
03-21-2013, 03:11 PM
The kicking out the feet and phantom falling down on 3's that resulted in them getting calls pretty much sucked any sympathy I may have had for them. good riddance floppers!!!

DoMieD
03-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Really getting tired of teams playing their best games of the season against us

VinnyZag
03-21-2013, 03:13 PM
The kicking out the feet and phantom falling down on 3's that resulted in them getting calls pretty much sucked any sympathy I may have had for them. good riddance floppers!!!

I nearly had a heart attack on that last one by Beltran.

Birddog
03-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Uh hum, wasn't Southern the 4th best team in the country at FG defense? Did i read that wrong? If I'm right they played to those stats pretty well. Then they shot lights out from 3 to stay in it. That was one tough team and they will be better next year.

JPtheBeasta
Southern didn't run much offense and just let their guys go one-on-one a lot. They delivered on MANY high degree of difficulty shots.

The TV guys got the story line they wanted. Harris won't get stifled next game. Thank God for Pangos' step away three at the end. Like usual, KO righted the ship when we were listing. Hopefully we won't need the Coast Guard again next game.

Zagsker

this...it was obvious as the lack of hair on my head

DixieZag
03-21-2013, 03:17 PM

Good Point! Maybe I take it for granted b/c we KNOW Hart will show up.

Thanks, you are right!

rijman
03-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Southern played well and blocked a lot of shots, which I think lead to fewer GU attempts around the rim. I think Southern got a little help from the refs on 3 straight calls down the stretch to help keep them in the game, 2 on KO, but they played well.

Zagsker
03-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Southern didn't run much offense and just let there guys go one-on-one a lot. They delivered on MANY high degree of difficulty shots.
The TV guys got the story line they wanted. Harris won't get stifled next game. Thank God for Pangos' step away three at the end. Like usual, KO righted the ship when we were listing. Hopefully we won't need the Coast Guard again next game.

yup

calizag
03-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Thought Kenny Smith made a very good point on TNT after the game. He said when your the one seed sometimes you pass up the first shot because you are expected to get a great shot. We are a team full of shooters and I felt like we were passing up good shots since we are a 1 seed and should be getting layups and wide open shots every time down the floor.

Also surprisingly Barkley said Southern played very well and the zags should be able to exhale and play loose for the next game. nice to see some guys who actually played cutting us some slack and not just taking a look at the scoreline.

zagamatic
03-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Can we please start scheduling a game, or at least a scrimmage, between the WCC tournament and the big dance? I could swear I could hear a lot of squeaking coming from all the rust on our guys. I know I remember St. Marie's doing that one year.

rawkmandale
03-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Thought Kenny Smith made a very good point on TNT after the game. He said when your the one seed sometimes you pass up the first shot because you are expected to get a great shot. We are a team full of shooters and I felt like we were passing up good shots since we are a 1 seed and should be getting layups and wide open shots every time down the floor.

Also surprisingly Barkley said Southern played very well and the zags should be able to exhale and play loose for the next game. nice to see some guys who actually played cutting us some slack and not just taking a look at the scoreline.

Yeah, I was pleased they didn't rip us, and kind of surprised.

Mantua
03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Can we please start scheduling a game, or at least a scrimmage, between the WCC tournament and the big dance? I could swear I could hear a lot of squeaking coming from all the rust on our guys. I know I remember St. Marie's doing that one year.

I thought our offense looked especially phlegmatic in the first half. When we are close to the basket, we need to take it up strong. Although I also think the fouls on the post weren't called enough, but even more reason to be tough at the rim.

maynard g krebs
03-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Officiating kept Southern in the game, plain and simple. KO and EH hammered inside, no calls. Touch fouls on the other end by comparison.

Southern played well enough to cover the spread, but called straight up that was a 12-15 point win.

Not gonna theorize as to why it was reffed that way.

DoMieD
03-21-2013, 03:34 PM
I usually agree with you Vanzagger but today you're flat our wrong. Stockton gave them fits when he came in the game and he was as cool as the other side of the pillow. Give credit where credit is due and stop beating a dead horse.

Your missing the point. Stockton didn't turn it over, but when he's in there and we need DEFENSE or another OFFENSIVE threat, then that's where the problem lies..

He's a liability on defense and got abused all game, and on offense he's like Hart. Not much of a threat to score.

NEC26
03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Your missing the point. Stockton didn't turn it over, but when he's in there and we need DEFENSE or another OFFENSIVE threat, then that's where the problem lies..

He's a liability on defense and got abused all game, and on offense he's like Hart. Not much of a threat to score.

What game were you watching? Stockton was great on offense and defense and made big plays all game. Hence why he was out there so much. Even the commentators were talking about his play on both ends.

rennis
03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
I haven't watched the 2nd half yet, but the stats and the 1st half which I did watch tell me the Bulldogs came out a bit flat, especially Elias and KO. From what I could see in the 1st half, the ref'ing was really weird...seemed like a lot of contact in the paint but somehow GU amassed more fouls. Need to re-watch.

watching the ticker stats in the second half...other than KO's hot streak the team just flat out shot poorly for the game. I didn't see the final shooting %s, but GU was in the high 30s late in the game. that's just plain bad for any team peaking in March, not to mention one that has 31 victories on the year.

And whoever was defending their guard that kept them in the game needs to get their head out of the clouds. That had to have been some bad D, or just a lot of lucky shots falling....

RenoZag
03-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Coach Few was full of compliments for Southern in his post game press conference.

They were a very game opponent.

On to the Shockers !

Birddog
03-21-2013, 03:52 PM
I was wrong, Southern ranks 2nd nationally behind Kansas in defensive FG% at 36.5%. Zags actually shot just under 42% so not so bad considering. Southern is a good defensive and shot blocking team, no anomaly there.

Box score http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330802250

Billfish'80
03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Hey, DoMie, Something tells me Davids 7 assists had something to do with our offense. We needed what David provided on both ends tonight.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Officiating kept Southern in the game, plain and simple. KO and EH hammered inside, no calls. Touch fouls on the other end by comparison.

Southern played well enough to cover the spread, but called straight up that was a 12-15 point win.

Not gonna theorize as to why it was reffed that way.

Maynard,

My thoughts exactly. But add to it that Southern really, really shot the ball well. Some pretty amazing shots from 3. In the first half, some were not contested. But in the 2nd half, they were flat out great shots and their guys deserve a lot of credit.

I thought the guys played with about the same intensity as the LMU game in the WCC tournament. A little bit lethargic. Not hustling to 50-50 balls quite as much as I have seen in other games. Hopefully they pick it up and play like they play St. Maries in this next game.

Neither Wichita State or Pitt shot even close to as well as Southern did tonight. If the Zags pick up their intensity for this next game, we will do just fine.

VZF

gamagin
03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Line up didn't. Can someone explain what up wit dat? Really? Keep sending out 3 six footers march genius. Wow

kept us in the game. and then won it.

w.t.f. kind of crack are you smoking ?
Are you and that other a$$hat duhhhhhhmied watching these games through the window at Huppins, in the hailstorm, or what ?

it's embarassing to try and sort out this game reading this crap. It's like some drunk always standing up and yelling something totally unrelated as the cause of all that is wrong. That's you. VZ. the two guys who had less than stellar 40 minute games were our bigs. not our littles. capiche ?

the ones over 6'. KO came back in the 2nd but EH had a tough game while the guards, including those you and DUhhhhhhhmied have endless bromances over, provided the leadership.

ZagLawGrad
03-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Live fom SLC watching AZ play Belmont. Here's my thoughts.

Southern played lights out----#2 was in the zone.

Refs were poor. Took away Elia's inside game with the no calls

Soutern played better than Wichita. We will beat the Shockers as our bigs will dominate

Biggest disappointment was losing the 10 pt lead. Zags seem to not like to keep leads at times.and they gave that one away with sloppy offense once they got the lead .

The other teams fans here were cheering Southern. Glad we got the win.

Put that behind us Next game please.

Post some pics later

MEZAG
03-21-2013, 04:09 PM
We won! That is great. I have read several posts about Harris not quite playing up to snuff. I am sorry but did anyone else watch the same game I watched? Harris didn't seem to be able to get to the rim - because he had three guys draping all the FU@% over him every time he went to the hoop. No calls all game long.

IMHO

caduceus
03-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Uh hum, wasn't Southern the 4th best team in the country at FG defense? Did i read that wrong? If I'm right they played to those stats pretty well. Then they shot lights out from 3 to stay in it. That was one tough team and they will be better next year.

2nd, actually. Just got home and watched on the DVR. Only two things I can say. One:

http://i.imgur.com/9z2Z6jD.gif

And two:

http://i.imgur.com/q1xLG.jpg

rawkmandale
03-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Hey, DoMie, Something tells me Davids 7 assists had something to do with our offense. We needed what David provided on both ends tonight.

Yeah, which is why I voted for him as GUnit today

john montana
03-21-2013, 04:43 PM
We do not win that game without david Stockton.

Hoopaholic
03-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Nor do we win without pango, olynyk, bell. Oh wait it is a team game

bartruff1
03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Southern played a very good game...Gonzaga played better... only 10 turn overs and 14 assists on 23 baskets.... had 8 threes.... and out rebounded them by 16...and were clutch at the end when the game was decided...

Lewey
03-21-2013, 05:01 PM
It's like some drunk always standing up and yelling something totally unrelated as the cause of all that is wrong.

That reminds me of a game I got to go to at the Kennel. I got tired of a guy near me yelling constantly that Edi was awful and Few needed to get him out of the game. I leaned over and pointed out to him that Edi wasn't in the game at that point, it was GBJ! He was quiet after that.

john montana
03-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Nor do we win without pango, olynyk, bell. Oh wait it is a team game

No kidding.

But to choose this game to bash on Stockton is just nuts. He was big today.

Birddog
03-21-2013, 05:03 PM
We won! That is great. I have read several posts about Harris not quite playing up to snuff. I am sorry but did anyone else watch the same game I watched? Harris didn't seem to be able to get to the rim - because he had three guys draping all the FU@% over him every time he went to the hoop. No calls all game long.

IMHO

That's what I saw. Obviously their game plan was to swarm Elias and Olynyk, hack the $hit out of them and hope it was called loosely. It was a good plan and nearly worked.

Hoopaholic
03-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Agree John m. Stockton was an important spoke in the wheel today. And he matched up well against a spark plug point guard who really had no offensive game allowing Stockton ability to play rover today

NEC26
03-21-2013, 05:08 PM
No kidding.

But to choose this game to bash on Stockton is just nuts. He was big today.

Exactly

WallaWallaZag
03-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Southern played a great game, I was very impressed. They really came to play and took it to the Bulldogs the whole game. Gonzaga didn't have one of their best outings but thankfully lived to play another day. Refs were ... well, refs, while the game announcers turned into cheerleaders half the time. "No athletes like that in the WCC, there just aren't" - really?

actually agree...in terms of bigs anyways, the wcc is seriously lacking. off the top of my head, there's really only davies at byu who isn't even a great athlete...then next in line is probably the very raw jito kok at san diego in terms of athletic bigs and that's about it. just another reason the wcc doesn't adequately prepare the zags for postseason play.

caduceus
03-21-2013, 05:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EN4FK.gif

They only show up on game day for a reason.

Saxon_zag
03-21-2013, 05:22 PM
actually agree...in terms of bigs anyways, the wcc is seriously lacking. off the top of my head, there's really only davies at byu who isn't even a great athlete...then next in line is probably the very raw jito kok at san diego in terms of athletic bigs and that's about it. just another reason the wcc doesn't adequately prepare the zags for postseason play.

Nah it's insulting to say that gonzaga playing in the wcc has never seen some SWAC LEVEL ATHLETES

the swac

the conference good enough to get you a 16 seed in if you go 16-2 in it.

WallaWallaZag
03-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Nah it's insulting to say that gonzaga playing in the wcc has never seen some SWAC LEVEL ATHLETES

the swac

the conference good enough to get you a 16 seed in if you go 16-2 in it.

maybe insulting, but true so i'll say it again...while the wcc has plenty of athletic guards and some decent bigs like waldow, manresa, and trasolini, there really aren't any athletic bigs that are able to challenge shots consistently.

NEC26
03-21-2013, 05:32 PM
College basketball as a whole doesn't have very many(I can think of Baylor who we played). The idea that the WCC doesn't have the athletes to match up with the SWAC is ridiculous and was meant as a put down of this conference.

zagco
03-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Harris got schooled today. The WCC does nothing to prepare us and the early conference tournament is a liability.

bartruff1
03-21-2013, 05:34 PM
maybe insulting, but true so i'll say it again...while the wcc has plenty of athletic guards and some decent bigs like waldow, manresa, and trasolini, there really aren't any athletic bigs that are able to challenge shots consistently.

They had 8 blocks against " the best 4/5 combo in college basketball" ...doesn't that speak for it's self... ask Harris how good they are...

Reborn
03-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Southern played very good, and give them credit. They deserve it. Gonzaga, as odd as it may seem to some of you, Gonzaga held them to 39.1% shooting. I'd say that was pretty good D overall. We held them to 58 which was enough for us to win the game. Zags made 8 three's, and we needed every one of them. Pangos and Bell hit awesome shots at the end of the game, and the important thing is that we hit the clutch shots. The Zags continue to refuse to lose. It looked pretty much like Southern might beat us, but I will also tell you one thing, I refused to believe that they might beat us for even a second. I refused to lose. It was fun.

It was pretty tense there for awhile, but Gonzaga's been there alot (in close games), and they figured out how to win. Please give Southern credit for hitting those big hoops to. Beltran played great. If you can't see that, then you are blind. And if you can't see that Southern gave it everything they had and more. They were a very confident team. Give their coach credit too. Let's show some class, and be humble enough to admit that it was a great game. And yes...the refs tried their best to give the game to Southern. I will agree with that. Worst reffed game I've seen so far.

gamagin
03-21-2013, 05:50 PM
They had 8 blocks against " the best 4/5 combo in college basketball" ...doesn't that speak for it's self... ask Harris how good they are...

I think at least 3 blocks were and should have been called fouls. The three times KO's headband was knocked off in "no touch/no foul" blocks.

Another thing that drives me nuts is Ko's penchant for making layins off the glass. the better, taller athletes can block this at the glass and do. If he would stuff it every chance he gets, 2 of three blocks would be fouls or two points and one. The bunnies give the defense more chances and they capitalize. happened to Hart and even EH, though EH, too, couldn't buy a foul. I thought one of those no calls was goal tending. Not sure how you adjust to bad calls.

Lastly, KO has a tendency to jump up for a shot and then take the shot on the way back down instead of at the peak of the jump. the process encourages a block from shorter players, good athletes willing to hustle and generally more people than should be able to stop him. they do, however, catch him and the ball before he releases.

I could come close to getting a hand on his shots some of those times. He's too big to shoot the fade that way, imo. Jump up and put the ball into the net and eliminate all that can go wrong. or get a foul.

Reborn
03-21-2013, 05:52 PM

But we outrebounded them 36-20. Give the Zags some credit. Harris did not have his best game. For some reason he could not jump today. He shot 2-10, and most of those were around the rim, and yes some were blocked. Harris, in my opinion, played his worst game of the year, and he really needs to come out with more energy and determiniation on Saturday.

Baldwinzag
03-21-2013, 05:56 PM
But we outrebounded them 36-20. Give the Zags some credit. Harris did not have his best game. For some reason he could not jump today. He shot 2-10, and most of those were around the rim, and yes some were blocked. Harris, in my opinion, played his worst game of the year, and he really needs to come out with more energy and determiniation on Saturday.

agreed and he must, yet remember Elias does this vs lessor/lesser teams at times...he plays his best vs best and the biggest games.

Confident he'll turn it around. he didn't bring "it" consistently enough today...

ridgebackzag
03-21-2013, 05:57 PM

Wow

Too many drinks before posting?

ridgebackzag
03-21-2013, 06:03 PM

Stockton had 7 assists. That's two more than Pangos and equaled the rest of the team put together. The kid knows how to pass the ball.

Section 116
03-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Matt Norlander: Nice writeup on "Southern" Discomfort:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21926104/southern-discomfort-16-seed-jags-come-up-just-short-against-zags

maynard g krebs
03-21-2013, 06:31 PM
2 things.

I'll give them 2 legit blocked shots max today.

36% defensive fg% comes from playing in the SWAC where nobody can shoot

Mantua
03-21-2013, 06:44 PM
KO-4
EH-0
SD-1
PK-0

Did EH and SD get away with more or did they make enough effort in the game so that they even risked getting a foul?

Maybe they were intimidated by the whistles their teammates got for phantom fouls?

JPtheBeasta
03-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Matt Norlander: Nice writeup on "Southern" Discomfort:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21926104/southern-discomfort-16-seed-jags-come-up-just-short-against-zags

I liked this:

That missed 3 from Miller that rattled about before falling out came on a play that was called for the first time all night. Banks called "All Strong" because he thought he could catch Gonzaga off-guard. He did. He set up the play for Miller. The player was free. If it goes in, it's a one-point game.
"If we make that one, you don't know what can happen," Banks said. "Because at times it felt like they had more than five guys out there."

spike_jr
03-21-2013, 08:20 PM
I would like to hear from you guys that played. How does the long layoff between games affect your conditioning? It sounds strange to say after 30+ games, but it looked like EH was not in good game condition. He looked a step slow and did not jump as well as we have seen. I would love to see the WCC Tournament moved later, especially with the addition of two more conference games (Pacific).

MJ777
03-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Was Southern underseeded? Zags had a great start, 7-0 and then seemed to go flat. Was the game too physical? Were the guys too overconfident? I am just now watching the game on dvr. Was that the Kid President playing for Southern (#5)? I thought he was a Gonzago fan.

ZagLawGrad
03-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Was Southern underseeded? Zags had a great start, 7-0 and then seemed to go flat. Was the game too physical? Were the guys too overconfident? I am just now watching the game on dvr. Was that the Kid President playing for Southern (#5)? I thought he was a Gonzago fan.

Southern was a much better team than the seeding showed.

I look for Elias to have a monster game on Saturday against WSU (absent the BS reffing we saw today)

Zageist
03-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Yeah, they played great. GU didn't play bad, but just good enough.

Zag79
03-21-2013, 11:52 PM
"Kiddie" line-up is the only reason we won troll.

Name anyone over 6'2 not named Kelly that even showed up.

Sam, he was money but didn't get any PT. He mght have been able to help us score, which was our real issue. Harris rebounded well, and he got fouled (no calls) a lot if you ask me. Throw in Kelly and that is our bigs... Considering they also out rebounded Southern by 16, it looks like they showed up to me!

The big of Southern were a surpirse to me, I didn't think they would be that big and strong. Our guys (bigs) were getting mauled, and the officials weren't calling a lot of it. In typical Gonzaga fashion we gave up 10 threes, gotta stop that next game. It was basically a grinder I wasn't expecting, but we pulled it out as a team. Olynyk took over and then our guards hit clutch shots to finish it off.

Win and advance, go Zags!

SteelCityZag
03-22-2013, 06:01 AM
I would like to hear from you guys that played. How does the long layoff between games affect your conditioning? It sounds strange to say after 30+ games, but it looked like EH was not in good game condition. He looked a step slow and did not jump as well as we have seen. I would love to see the WCC Tournament moved later, especially with the addition of two more conference games (Pacific).

Agreed to all posters that this was a good gritty win against a team that played out of their heads. Credit to Southern players and coaches.

As for EH, great on the boards, but not his best effort offensively. He kept going to the rim expecting the foul, which obviously never came. EH can be explosive with his first step, but if he has a weakness, it's that he sometimes lacks a bit of creativity on offense. Let me stress again the word "sometimes." If the refs aren't calling the obvious fouls when your taking it to the rack every time, what's wrong with the pulling up for the 8 footer? He's proven he can hit those, especially off the glass. It's about taking what they're giving you, refs and opposing players included. EH simply didn't adjust to that this game. We need him to against the Shockers, and moving forward.

Again, gutty win by the Zags. On to beat Witchita State.

DoMieD
03-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Stockton had 7 assists. That's two more than Pangos and equaled the rest of the team put together. The kid knows how to pass the ball.

You can't be serious. What else can he possibly get besides assists... He's not gonna shoot, so of course he's gonna get assists. What is your point? He can't defend and he can't shoot/create his own shot so obviously on offense he's gonna get assists since ALL HE DOES IS PASS

I swear most of you do not actually know basketball. Eventually it will cost us, and I am sure all of you will make excuses for it.. But teams are not stupid. They know he's not a threat to score, and they know he's a huge mis match on defense for them to take advantage of.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Sam, he was money but didn't get any PT.

I have to say that Sam wasn't defensively stellar yesterday.

gamagin
03-22-2013, 09:46 AM
You can't be serious. What else can he possibly get besides assists... He's not gonna shoot, so of course he's gonna get assists. What is your point? He can't defend and he can't shoot/create his own shot so obviously on offense he's gonna get assists since ALL HE DOES IS PASS

I swear most of you do not actually know basketball. Eventually it will cost us, and I am sure all of you will make excuses for it.. But teams are not stupid. They know he's not a threat to score, and they know he's a huge mis match on defense for them to take advantage of.

stupid.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 09:48 AM
stupid.

Wow is all I've got to say. You're absolutely correct.

All John Stockton did was pass. Not much good for anything else.

DoMieD
03-22-2013, 09:55 AM
stupid.

I appreciate your ability to comeback with a knowledgable post..

But.. Ill take your childish route and call you stupid too!

former1dog
03-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Domie,

Your post was factually challenged and lacked insight into how basketball is played on the court. As a knowledgeable fan of the game, I had to concur with Gamagin's post.

7 assists in a low possession game is stellar. The player in question also leads the team in steals, which statistically refutes your assertion that he is defensively challenged. I would also suggest that young Mr. Stockton's propensity to take his defender off the dribble and finish at the rim is extremely efficient and is an under rated weapon.

Finally, you're ignoring the fact that Coach Few, whose opinion I would take over yours every day of the week and twice on Sunday, has made David Stockton an important player in his rotation. Considering your comments about "knowing basketball", I find your claims in contradiction to the facts to be dubious at best.

Bocco
03-22-2013, 10:03 AM

Gamagin didn't call you stupid. He said what you had to say is stupid, there is a difference. You on the other hand lowed yourself to making an ad hominem comment - not nice.

vandalzag
03-22-2013, 10:17 AM

as Mark Twain said:
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

Silly things like passing, steals, helping on defense, etc... have nothing to with basketball. The irony of it all is there are maybe 3 or 4 people who watched that game yesterday and came away with the conclusion the Stockton was not a huge part of the win. And they are all "ZAG FANS". God bless the internet!!!

DoMieD
03-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Domie,

Your post was factually challenged and lacked insight into how basketball is played on the court. As a knowledgeable fan of the game, I had to concur with Gamagin's post.

7 assists in a low possession game is stellar. The player in question also leads the team in steals, which statistically refutes your assertion that he is defensively challenged. I would also suggest that young Mr. Stockton's propensity to take his defender off the dribble and finish at the rim is extremely efficient and is an under rated weapon.

Finally, you're ignoring the fact that Coach Few, whose opinion I would take over yours every day of the week and twice on Sunday, has made David Stockton an important player in his rotation. Considering your comments about "knowing basketball", I find your claims in contradiction to the facts to be dubious at best.

You are flat out wrong. I'm amazed at how you guys justify this though, it's hilarious. When a guy passes the ball every touch he gets 99% of all possessions he's used in, then I'm not sure how anyone doesn't expect him to rack up assists. I will say that he does make a nice play on D for a steal every so often.. Usually against these smaller schools though.

I can't believe we are now blatantly pretending like he isn't turnover prone now as well.

Can't wait for the excuses when we no longer play these tiny little schools and start having to play these bigger kids that will body JS. But hey, he gets a few assists.

Just for fun

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y398/Hokis28/E613492F-E403-48D6-88C4-07EFD4E38C46-2152-0000023147FB7350_zpsc78def3a.jpg

NEC26
03-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Domied you have an axe to grind and it severely affects your perception of what is happening in the game. You don't like Stockton everyone gets that but the reality is Stockton played outstanding help defense and created some hugely critical turnovers and his ability to create opportunities offensively was big for us as well. Yes he doesn't shoot a lot but he does not stagnate our offense at all. I encourage you to go back and watch the game again and try to be open minded about his play.

gamagin
03-22-2013, 11:24 AM
I personally would change the title to. Southern shot the lights out

We dominated in every other aspect of the game ( except blocks)and many of the alleged blocks were clear fouls

in 25 minutes, (about 5 before the half and through the entire second half), southern never took the lead. Not once.

I believe it would not have gotten the ties without some really bad calls by the refs. Almost back to back. Hardly superior play, in any event.

But even without help, to their credit, they never gave up. Neither did we. At worst it's a win we really can and will build on, imo.

DoMieD
03-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Domied you have an axe to grind and it severely affects your perception of what is happening in the game. You don't like Stockton everyone gets that but the reality is Stockton played outstanding help defense nad created some hugely critical turnovers and his ability to create opportunities offensively was big for us as well. Yes he doesn't shoot a lot but he does not stagnate our offense at all. I encourage you to go back and watch the game again and try to be open minded about his play.

Look I get that I am not going to win this argument. Not here.

Stockton played fine yesterday. Not my issue. My issue is that eventually I know that he will be our downfall when we play better competition bc Few leaves him in way too much.. And it drives me nuts, especially in close games.

No one has to agree. I am entitled to my opinion. I'm not gonna troll any longer. Go Zags.

(Also, appreciate the mature response buddy)

NEC26
03-22-2013, 11:29 AM

Stockton played fine yesterday. Not my issue. My issue is that eventually I know that he will be out downfall when we play better competition bc Few leaves him in way too much.. And it drives me nuts, especially in close games.

No one has to agree. I am entitled to my opinion. I'm not gonna troll any longer. Go Zags.

You realize he isn't our starter and that Few is working with the guys he has right? Sometimes that means he plays Stockton sometimes it doesn't. Why make an issue with a guy especially after he was an instrumental part of our victory?

DoMieD
03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
You realize he isn't our starter and that Few is working with the guys he has right? Sometimes that means he plays Stockton sometimes it doesn't. Why make an issue with a guy especially after he was an instrumental part of our victory?
Just curious..

In your opinion, what is the biggest flaw this team may have?

NEC26
03-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Lack of ability to score from the three spot. Which by the way is part of the reason we played the so called munchkin line up.

Edit: its too bad Guy did not develop as that would have been huge for this team.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Can't wait for the excuses when we no longer play these tiny little schools and start having to play these bigger kids that will body JS. But hey, he gets a few assists.

I'm not certain of your point?

Do you mean that he won't play against post up guards? Which team that is potentially in our path posts up their guards?

I recall a tournament team we played, St Mary's, posting up their point guard. But we had David Stockton guard another player in that game.

Are you actually suggesting that Mark Few, the winningest active coach in college basketball, winner of 32 games against 2 losses, coach of the #1 ranked team in the country and #1 seeded tournament team doesn't know what's he doing by playing David Stockton? You've got some balls, dude.

FuManShoes
03-22-2013, 11:45 AM

Stockton played fine yesterday. Not my issue. My issue is that eventually I know that he will be our downfall when we play better competition bc Few leaves him in way too much.. And it drives me nuts, especially in close games.

(Also, appreciate the mature response buddy)

Yeah, I don't think you get that this is the roster we have, one that's amassed 32 wins. Maybe it's not a roster that can get to 37 wins, but it is what it is. Brandon Paul, Aaron Craft and Marcus Smart aren't stashed away on our bench.

NEC26
03-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Its a message board and no coach is above questioning. What I don't get is using this last game as a reason to complain about Stockton when he had an outstanding game. Also I think everyone here recognizes his limitations and have discussed this topic a lot so it strikes me as really odd(read axe grinding) to take up issues with our back up point guard right now.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Its a message board and no coach is above questioning.

Typically, I agree with you. But in this context, its pretty ridiculous. Which I think was the point you were making as well.

gamagin
03-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I don't think you get that this is the roster we have, one that's amassed 32 wins. Maybe it's not a roster that can get to 37 wins, but it is what it is. Brandon Paul, Aaron Craft and Marcus Smart aren't stashed away on our bench.

GOT TO HATE: pin this post on your refrigerator. Please. And grow up.

Stop making idiotic proclamations of knowledge or understanding --- they are neither --- until you understand this. Our best players are playing. Really well. Winning. Every single Zag has gotten his chance to contribute.

What we see is how all that intrasquad competition, and live p.t., has shaken out those that are at the top of our lineup until further notice. Or until an injury or a matchup situation arises when someone else down the chart might get the call.

Special note to certain haters who consider themselves prescient. We "may" lose a game, or get eliminated from this tournament.

In the course of that happening (which it will to every single team except one), one or more Zag may make a miscue, get outplayed or outhustled a few times, be dominated, or, more likely, miss a shot, or not play as well as expected -- by himself and his teammates and coaches --- like he has on better days.

Should that hard working, caring, excellent, devoted Zag happen to be someone you hate, that does not mean you are or were right to hate him all year long.

It is not redemption, despite an entire season devoted solely to bad mouthing and anger, fear and loathing of one Zag or another. They have nothing to prove to haters.

If we lose, it will mean, instead, one of two things: (1) we get beat by a better team. or (2) see (1).

Bocco
03-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Stop making idiotic proclamations of knowledge or understanding --- they are neither --- until you understand this. Our best players are playing. Really well. Winning. Every single Zag has gotten his chance to contribute.

What we see is how all that intrasquad competition, and live p.t., has shaken out those that are at the top of our lineup until further notice. Or until an injury or a matchup situation arises when someone else down the chart might get the call.

Special note to certain haters who consider themselves prescient. We "may" lose a game, or get eliminated from this tournament.

In the course of that happening (which it will to every single team except one), one or more Zag may make a miscue, get outplayed, outhustled, dominated, or, more likely, miss a shot, or not play as well as expected -- by himself and his teammates and coaches --- like he has on better days.

Should that hard working, caring, excellent, devoted Zag happen to be someone you hate, that does not mean you are or were right to hate him all year long. It is not redemption, despite an entire season devoted solely to bad mouthing and anger, fear and loathing of one Zag or another. They have nothing to prove to haters.

If we lose, it will mean, instead, one of two things: (1) we get beat by a better team. or (2) see (1).

+1 qtf

Zag79
03-22-2013, 01:15 PM

In the course of that happening (which it will to every single team except one), one or more Zag may make a miscue, get outplayed or outhustled a few times, be dominated, or, more likely, miss a shot, or not play as well as expected -- by himself and his teammates and coaches --- like he has on better days.

Should that hard working, caring, excellent, devoted Zag happen to be someone you hate, that does not mean you are or were right to hate him all year long.

It is not redemption, despite an entire season devoted solely to bad mouthing and anger, fear and loathing of one Zag or another. They have nothing to prove to haters.

I agree with most of this, except the very end. The "better" team doesn't always win, and sometimes that can be due to bad coaching as much as execution by the players. Until Mark gets past the Sweet 16, he has something to prove regardless of his win % coaching in the WCC. A message board is the perfect place to discuss plays, decisions, outcomes, and so on.

As for the main debate, Stockton has been fantastic this season making big plays and getting offense going at crucial times. That being said, he can be a liability on defense at times and is a surprisingly below average shooter. In a different game against a different team it could come back to bite us, but as long as Few continues to use him when needed I think we'll be fine.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 01:23 PM
is a surprisingly below average shooter.

Awful shooting form. He's got the tools to fix that, wonder why it never got addressed?

Zag79
03-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Awful shooting form. He's got the tools to fix that, wonder why it never got addressed?

Great question, I wonder that myself. But as long as he keeps dropping dimes, limits to's, get some steals, and hits the occasional big bucket we are good to go. :D

former1dog
03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Great question, I wonder that myself. But as long as he keeps dropping dimes, limits to's, get some steals, and hits the occasional big bucket we are good to go. :D

Agreed.

Where I really have a problem is that he is so effective off the dribble and can really draw fouls after some impressive finishes, I wish he would seal the deal more often at the free throw line.

vandalzag
03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
I agree with most of this, except the very end. The "better" team doesn't always win, and sometimes that can be due to bad coaching as much as execution by the players. Until Mark gets past the Sweet 16, he has something to prove regardless of his win % coaching in the WCC. A message board is the perfect place to discuss plays, decisions, outcomes, and so on.

As for the main debate, Stockton has been fantastic this season making big plays and getting offense going at crucial times. That being said, he can be a liability on defense at times and is a surprisingly below average shooter. In a different game against a different team it could come back to bite us, but as long as Few continues to use him when needed I think we'll be fine.

Stockton had no business being brought up in this thread(only reason his name gets brought up is because some clown has an axe to grind). Also if you are talking defensive liabilities, both PG will fall into that category. Neither are expected to be defensive stoppers, but since we lack a true shot blocker each is exposed. Cudos for digging up the Few getting past the sweet 16 as something to prove dead horse.I would ask you to show specific tourney games that the zags lost where they were the better team and it was due to bad coaching.
You will not be able to find one based on facts, other than your own proclivity to want to put blame away from players. Clean program, players graduate, players do not get into trouble (for the most part...especially in comparison to other programs), players stick around and remain part of the program, wins more than he loses, etc.... Does not sound like somebody who has something to prove. If this was the case than the only way to measure success is by winning national championships, all else are failures.

Bocco
03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
......Until Mark gets past the Sweet 16, he has something to prove regardless of his win % coaching in the WCC........
I don't think Mark Few has anything to prove, unless success is defined in how well you do in the NCAA tourney, and that maybe some peoples definition of success but it is not mine. In my opinion what he has accomplished at Gonzaga is remarkable.

former1dog
03-22-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't think Mark Few has anything to prove, unless success is defined in how well you do in the NCAA tourney, and that maybe some peoples definition of success but it is not mine. In my opinion what he has accomplished at Gonzaga is remarkable.

I agree, Mark Few is the best possible coach we could ask for.

BUT, I'll bet you he's got the fire in his belly to go all the way!

This is the year!

Vanzagger
03-22-2013, 02:18 PM
1..2. Test

Vanzagger
03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
For letting me back on.

I didn't use any names. Stock has had a nice year and I think he gets better every year.

When you are Gonzaga I don't think you should ever have to play 2 guys out of position(3pgtogether)

I said the same thing when Few would put Bouldin at the 3 and Pendo at the 4. Sure you can get away with it in league.

This is not WCC. Think bigger.

Prove it!

Bocco
03-22-2013, 02:33 PM
For letting me back on.

I didn't use any names. Stock has had a nice year and I think he gets better every year.

When you are Gonzaga I don't think you should ever have to play 2 guys out of position(3pgtogether)

I said the same thing when Few would put Bouldin at the 3 and Pendo at the 4. Sure you can get away with it in league.

This is not WCC. Think bigger.

Prove it!

Just curious - I know you don't like the Pangos, Bell, Stockton combination but who do you suggest Few has on the court?

Vanzagger
03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Thousands of combos. We are deep!

Bocco
03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
aw come on commit to something, put some names out there and give some reasons why. You have been very vocal about the "kiddie" lineup before the season began, so tell us who do you think should be on the court.

Mantua
03-22-2013, 03:56 PM

Just name a couple and cite the situation. I thought DS contributed well when we needed a passer. I think he's a great sub when we need passing and also defensive spark. I thought his value was obvious. Bell and Pangos are our perimeter shooting options who have have other shots in their arsenals so I saw no point in taking them out when DS was in and we needed to score.

Zag79
03-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Stockton had no business being brought up in this thread(only reason his name gets brought up is because some clown has an axe to grind). Also if you are talking defensive liabilities, both PG will fall into that category. Neither are expected to be defensive stoppers, but since we lack a true shot blocker each is exposed. Cudos for digging up the Few getting past the sweet 16 as something to prove dead horse.I would ask you to show specific tourney games that the zags lost where they were the better team and it was due to bad coaching.
You will not be able to find one based on facts, other than your own proclivity to want to put blame away from players. Clean program, players graduate, players do not get into trouble (for the most part...especially in comparison to other programs), players stick around and remain part of the program, wins more than he loses, etc.... Does not sound like somebody who has something to prove. If this was the case than the only way to measure success is by winning national championships, all else are failures.

I agree with you David was a non issue yesterday and had no reason to be brought up, I was simply responding to a post within the thread about him. Yes. He's a liability like our other guard, but he isn't as good overall so I'm not sure that comparison works. Regardless, I said David played great and was a non issue so no need to beat a dead horse.

As for Few, we can agree to disagree. I can specifically point out games where myself and others felt he was out coached in March no problem... UCLA/Nevada/Wyoming/Texas Tech come to mind. All winnable games that I personally feel we let get away, or could have done things differently to improve our chances of winning. I look at the game of basketball as a whole, and understand its about coaching as much as player execution.

When it comes to how far you can go in the dance, if that isn't part of a coaches resume I don't know what is. I don't recall saying we need a new coach, he doesn't do great things, or that he isn't the ideal leader for us. If you knew me personally you would know there isn't anyone I would want on that bench save someone like coach K. That being said, the goal is to get over the hump and until he does you're in the minority that believes it "doesn't matter".

vandalzag
03-22-2013, 06:11 PM
I agree with you David was a non issue yesterday and had no reason to be brought up, I was simply responding to a post within the thread about him. Yes. He's a liability like our other guard, but he isn't as good overall so I'm not sure that comparison works. Regardless, I said David played great and was a non issue so no need to beat a dead horse.

As for Few, we can agree to disagree. I can specifically point out games where myself and others felt he was out coached in March no problem... UCLA/Nevada/Wyoming/Texas Tech come to mind. All winnable games that I personally feel we let get away, or could have done things differently to improve our chances of winning. I look at the game of basketball as a whole, and understand its about coaching as much as player execution.

When it comes to how far you can go in the dance, if that isn't part of a coaches resume I don't know what is. I don't recall saying we need a new coach, he doesn't do great things, or that he isn't the ideal leader for us. If you knew me personally you would know there isn't anyone I would want on that bench save someone like coach K. That being said, the goal is to get over the hump and until he does you're in the minority that believes it "doesn't matter".

If you are having standards than why stop at the elite 8. Than National Championship should be the only marker. If you think that Few goes to bed singing his own praises that he has the highest winning percentage you are completely off base. That being said, if it was so easy to do this in the WCC or lesser leagues why are others not doing it? Why are all the lifetime winning percentage leaders from power conferences?
The goal is not to get over the hump, the goal is to win it all. Once again if you asked Few he would say that winning it all is the goal, but that does not mean you look past what you have accomplished to get there.
In regard to the 4 games you mentioned just what would you have done differently? I am sure you are like most internet posters that possess a day after winning percentage of close to 1000. Imagine what Few's winning percentage would be as a day after poster on the GU Boards.

Zag79
03-23-2013, 09:14 AM
If you are having standards than why stop at the elite 8. Than National Championship should be the only marker. If you think that Few goes to bed singing his own praises that he has the highest winning percentage you are completely off base. That being said, if it was so easy to do this in the WCC or lesser leagues why are others not doing it? Why are all the lifetime winning percentage leaders from power conferences?
The goal is not to get over the hump, the goal is to win it all. Once again if you asked Few he would say that winning it all is the goal, but that does not mean you look past what you have accomplished to get there.
In regard to the 4 games you mentioned just what would you have done differently? I am sure you are like most internet posters that possess a day after winning percentage of close to 1000. Imagine what Few's winning percentage would be as a day after poster on the GU Boards.

Simple question, simple answer. The sweet 16 is the furthest round coach Few has reached, regardless of seed/bracket/team. When you consistently lose or have a problem when you reach a certain level, that becomes something of a ceiling if you will.

Until he breaks thru that there will always be doubters, and rightly so. That is why I used the sweet 16 as "the hump", baby steps... No need to say title or bust, but in reality getting past the sweet 16 again at some point should be a reasonable goal for everyone.

U Zig, I Zag
03-23-2013, 09:21 AM
This team needs Stockton. He has the biggest balls on the team and is our swagger guy, hands down. Great IQ and uses what he has. He plays pg and allows us to run KP and Bell off the ball. He can break the press by himself.

Talking Hart into dunking to it, that's another story.

gamagin
03-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Simple question, simple answer. The sweet 16 is the furthest round coach Few has reached, regardless of seed/bracket/team. When you consistently lose or have a problem when you reach a certain level, that becomes something of a ceiling if you will.

Until he breaks thru that there will always be doubters, and rightly so. That is why I used the sweet 16 as "the hump", baby steps... No need to say title or bust, but in reality getting past the sweet 16 again at some point should be a reasonable goal for everyone.

disagree. It's worthy of discussion some other time, imo. Like all summer long. I'd read your case, fwiw.

But this kind of discussion is right down there with the perennial effort to steal away or fire coaches while they are trying to win in the dance. It's just poor form.

vandalzag
03-23-2013, 10:04 AM

Unless you have an axe to grind with the coach why the need to bring in the "sweet 16 hump", as you put it, into this thread, since it was never mentioned? Unless you are one of the the "doubters". If that is the case then at least own up to it. Because bringing up "the hump" in this thread makes as much sense as the idiots who complained of Stockton and the small lineup against Southern.
Monson got over your hump, how has his career panned out? Fitz never won a game in the NCAA does that mean that he was not a good coach?

There will always be "doubters". If GU gets to the final four or beyond this year the "doubters" will say they it was a down year and they had an easy bracket.