PDA

View Full Version : Nice press from W. WA newspapers

Zag365
03-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Bud Withers does a great job covering the Zags for The Seattle Times (see recent post of today's article). Also, Howie Stalwick of The Kitsap Sun has very good stories that you don't find elsewhere.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2013/mar/19/gonzaga-notebook-could-gonzaga-make-history/#axzz2O62Lg3iz

Here's another story published in The Kitsap Sun. It is on GBJ by TNT writer.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2013/mar/19/bell-has-emerged-as-gonzagas-x-factor/#axzz2O62Lg3iz

Apologize for links only. Haven't figured out how to cut/paste quotes from these articles.

ZagNative
03-20-2013, 09:32 AM
The second article, about Gary Bell, Jr., is really good. Thanks for posting.

DixieZag
03-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Gary Bell is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite Zags.

The silent warrior type that every team needs if they want to win, so self-less and soooo mature.

Zagdawg
03-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Bell is outstanding-- I loved these quotes.

“When I made my decision, people on my AAU team were like, ‘Why would you go there, why would you go there?’ This is why I went here — we are a family and a different kind of team,” Bell said.

“This is big. When they were recruiting me, I never thought this would be the No. 1 team in the nation. We made history for this school. It’s the best thing I ever did.”

Go Zags!

FuManShoes
03-20-2013, 10:26 AM
He reminds me of Steven Gray in a few ways. Both were tenacious defenders and great shooters who maybe weren't as aggressive offensively as you'd expect or like, in part because they were so selfless. Both led more by example than words. Both could use a bit more midrange game to make them complete and I think GBJ is showing some of that with increased use of the floater. I really like the kid's game and think he'll be a bigger part of the offensive mix next year but will be a key in this run by keeping defenders honest on the perimeter. Knock 'em down. GBJ!

DADoZAG
03-20-2013, 10:59 AM
He reminds me of Steven Gray in a few ways. Both were tenacious defenders and great shooters who maybe weren't as aggressive offensively as you'd expect or like, in part because they were so selfless. Both led more by example than words. Both could use a bit more midrange game to make them complete and I think GBJ is showing some of that with increased use of the floater. I really like the kid's game and think he'll be a bigger part of the offensive mix next year but will be a key in this run by keeping defenders honest on the perimeter. Knock 'em down. GBJ!

:agreed:

As with Steven, the only thing holding GB2 back, is GB2.

Also as with Steven, by the time Gary's finished at GU, he'll know it and will have shown us all just how much talent he has.

With the runner, all he needs is a stop and pop at the elbow and he'll have it all.

Don't see Gary ending up with a do like Steven's, however. But maybe the facial hair...

Go ZAGS, TNP!

Virginia Zags Fan
03-20-2013, 11:07 AM
GBJ is a special young man and a great player. We are so lucky to have him. What impressed me in Vegas was how active he is on defense. His hands and feet are always working. Really bothered the opposition. Also love his shot. It is so smooth.

I also like the comparison to Steven Gray who was also such a great teammate and player.

Love this team!

sittingon50
03-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Howie used to work for The Review, for those of you that remember.