PDA

View Full Version : Could Gonzaga utilize a Pepperdine defense?

zagster318
08-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Something along the lines of pressing the entire game. Would that be considered a feasible option?

zaguarxj
08-13-2007, 04:25 PM
IMO, that pressing defense led to a lot of fast-break layups and dunks by GU last year. Yeah, there were some turnovers too, but I think they overdid it.

CDC84
08-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Gonzaga certainly has the manpower and the athleticism to run such a thing on occasion if they need to score a lot of points in a hurry, but I think GU runs too much of a structured halfcourt offense to allow for such a style.

In order to do the full court press business throughout the whole game, it really needs to be the foundation of your program. The players have to believe in it, and they have to adjust to being shuffled in and out like crazy to make sure the press stays effective throughout the game.

The fact of the matter is that most pressing teams meet their end in the NCAA tournament because the best teams have guard play that can beat any press. Also, pressing tends to wear out your best players....particularly your best offensive players.

zagco
08-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Jerry Tarkanian's Runnin' Rebels pressed all the time. They were often dismissed as offensive-centric teams, but they were not--they were relentless with pressure, pressing defense, which translated into fast breaks. We may have the kinds of athletes to run that offense, but I cannot say if we are as physically conditioned as Tark had his teams. I doubt it.

CDC84
08-13-2007, 11:38 PM
It depends on your definition, but when I think of pressing, I think of full court pressing. Tark never utilized a full court press at Vegas unless he had to. He was tempted to use one with the great 1990/91 team, but he decided against it. What UNLV did do is apply intense on the ball pressure in the halfcourt thru man to man or Tark's famous amoeba zone, which is basically a zone with man to man principles that requires almost superhuman conditioning (which is why nobody uses it). But it was always halfcourt based...never full court. That pressure led to turnovers and tons of fast break buckets, but more importantly, it kept the opponent from even running its offense.

These would be interesting videos to watch:

http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/BD-00031B.html

http://www.hitrunscore.com/827008459438-coaches-choice-basketball-videos.html