PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bilas - Insider Bracket

Arneson
03-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Does anyone have access to ESPN insider and want to post this for us?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2013/story/_/id/9065660/jay-bilas-bracket-depth-pick-pick-2013-ncaa-tournament-advice

KStyles
03-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Good analysis overall, he has Louisville over Indiana in his final. You can find ESPN: The Mag subscriptions for less than $10/year, which includes Insider access. Well worth it for access to all of the great articles. Here are the bits of this article involving GU:

Round of 64

No. 1 Gonzaga over No. 16 Southern: No 16-seed has ever beaten a No. 1 seed, and it will certainly not happen here. Gonzaga is too big and too good. The Zags advance to take on the winner of Pittsburgh and Wichita State.

Round of 32

No. 1 Gonzaga over No. 8 Pittsburgh: Gonzaga is a very good defensive team with size and depth, but is not always a good rebounding team. When you play Pitt, you have to accept the physical challenge and go to the glass. The Zags won't be bullied on the glass and should beat Pittsburgh because they can score from every spot on the floor and are very hard to guard.

No. 1 Gonzaga over No. 5 Wisconsin: This game is about scoring against a quality defense. Gonzaga is far better on the defensive end than it used to be, and either Elias Harris or Mike Hart can guard Ryan Evans. Wisconsin forward Jared Berggren is the real key, and it will be interesting to see whether Kelly Olynyk can guard him. I don't believe that Wisconsin has any one guy that can keep Olynyk in check. Gonzaga will advance.

Elite Eight

No. 2 Ohio State over No. 1 Gonzaga: The Zags match up well with the Buckeyes, and Elias Harris can guard Deshaun Thomas and make him work for his points. If Thomas is forced to take tough 2s and not open 3-point shots, Gonzaga has a chance. This is a game that will be controlled by Ohio State's defense, especially Aaron Craft and Lenzelle Smith. Ohio State will clip the No. 1 seed in the Elite Eight and go to the Final Four.

ID ZAGFAN
03-18-2013, 01:12 PM
I don't like to post entire insider stories but I will say that Bilas has us beatingSouthern, Pitt, Wisconsin and losing to Ohio State in the Elite 8.

ZaGranny

Sarenyon
03-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Good analysis on Bilas part. I can see how he would take Ohio State.

But for me, OSU is not as good as they were last year, we are much better. I think we get them in this rematch.

gamagin
03-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Good analysis on Bilas part. I can see how he would take Ohio State.

But for me, OSU is not as good as they were last year, we are much better. I think we get them in this rematch.

it's up to us. Could NOT ask for more.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-18-2013, 01:24 PM

That is my take on that potential match up. I believe that we have a better chance against the Buckeyes than we do against any other team seeded 1, 2, or 3.

Section 116
03-18-2013, 01:26 PM
We played really well last year vs. OSU. Had a chance right down to the last minutes. That was the first game I recall being impressed with Craft's defense, and of course we had no KO on the court!

DADoZAG
03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Good analysis overall, he has Louisville over Indiana in his final. You can find ESPN: The Mag subscriptions for less than $10/year, which includes Insider access. Well worth it for access to all of the great articles. Here are the bits of this article involving GU:

KStyles, can't access my ESPN sub right now, how did Bilas see Ohio State getting past New Mexico?

Go ZAGS!

KStyles
03-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Bilas thinks the teams are almost mirror images, both play great D, but OSU can score more easily.

Personally, I think that matchup would be a very fun game to watch. I'd be rooting for OSU to pull it out, I'd love an OSU-GU rematch in the Elite Eight.

former1dog
03-18-2013, 02:21 PM
KStyles, can't access my ESPN sub right now, how did Bilas see Ohio State getting past New Mexico?

Go ZAGS!

I'm personally not sold on New Mexico. Proofs in the pudding. They have the opportunity to prove me wrong. Sweet 16 and I'll shut up. ;)

Hoopaholic
03-18-2013, 02:30 PM
not bad except I would think Hart guards Thomas early in the game to keep Harris out of potential foul trouble.........

we are solid until we have to meet a team with a good physical large guard and a slashing wing scoring player.......(Lousiville) as that is the teams in my opinion that give this team trouble.......

Personally I think Ohio State will have trouble handling both KO and Harris

I love our guard match up with them .....I see no issues there

BobZag
03-18-2013, 02:34 PM
That New Mexico-Arizona game is gonna be a donnybrook. They hate each other. Were in the same league until Arizona moved to the Pac-10. But they kept playing each other, anyway, a great rivalry. But the Lobos kept beating the Cats and Lute Olsen pulled a Romar and cancelled the series. It's been a war of words ever since. Real bad blood in this game.

zagco
03-18-2013, 02:54 PM
If fouls are called, some MWC teams could struggle.

DADoZAG
03-18-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm personally not sold on New Mexico. Proofs in the pudding. They have the opportunity to prove me wrong. Sweet 16 and I'll shut up. ;)

Watched New Mexico over the weekend for the first time and as I said above, was very "happy" at the time. :o

I'm not really "sold" on New Mexico either, but I'm not impressed with Ohio State like others seem to be. To me, Ohio State MIGHT be a smidge better than last year (really strong on the MIGHT), while the ZAGS are several steps above. Plus, Aaron Craft won't surprise anyone again offensively, which I thought was the difference last year and the reason they went so far.

What I saw Saturday from NM was way better than anything Iíd seen from Arizona, thatís for sure, and I believe theyíll take the Buckeyes as well.

Ha, well, that is if Iíve got the right players with the right team. Again, :o

Today Iím seeing a Sparty/ZAG rematch, and Iím really glad Miami will be Georgetownís problem (but it might all change tomorrow). How would the ZAGS handle Otto?

Go ZAGS!

DADoZAG
03-18-2013, 03:22 PM
That New Mexico-Arizona game is gonna be a donnybrook. They hate each other. Were in the same league until Arizona moved to the Pac-10. But they kept playing each other, anyway, a great rivalry. But the Lobos kept beating the Cats and Lute Olsen pulled a Romar and cancelled the series. It's been a war of words ever since. Real bad blood in this game.

Hmmm, I hadn't considered that, BZ. Will it be enough for Arizona?

Go ZAGS!

JPtheBeasta
03-18-2013, 07:31 PM
It's probably a little early to talk about Ohio St, but we were a couple of J. Sullinger 3-pointers and a halfway down Pangos 3-pointer from a win in that one.

Craft can slow down one guy, but he can't shut down an entire team.

Bring it on.

NotoriousZ
03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Good to see Jay having us over Wisconsin while most of the others spew the typical B1G crap. That is a great matchup for the Zags. So are Pitt and Ohio St. IMO. The team in this bracket that would concern me the most is New Mexico--I'm buying, they look good.

Beat Southern!

maynard g krebs
03-18-2013, 11:47 PM

If it happens. If I was Bill Walton, I would say that Arizona is one of the nine most underachieving teams in the history of the sport.

Go Belmont.

siliconzag
03-19-2013, 07:37 AM
If it happens. If I was Bill Walton, I would say that Arizona is one of the nine most underachieving teams in the history of the sport.

Go Belmont.

and you are no Ted Baxter.

Sili

UberZagFan
03-19-2013, 09:54 AM

This assumes AZ gets past Belmont--not a foregone conclusion.

TheOtherGreatOne
03-19-2013, 10:02 AM
well the zags almost beat ohio state last year and they are much better this year where ohio state is not nearly as good as they were last year,so to me that is a no brainer. however in my opinion that is irrelevant,because i do not believe ohjo state can beat new mexico. zags over new mexico to final 4.

T-bonedazag
03-19-2013, 10:43 AM
New Mexico's has some slow big men....Gonzaga would get them in foul trouble and their bench is not as deep as the Zags