• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagnificent
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2010

ESPN Insider Breakdown of Gonzaga

PERSONNEL

(Note: Player statistics are for the regular season only.)

Starting lineup
    Pos. Name PPG MPG
    F Kelly Olynyk 17.3 25.5
    F Elias Harris 14.8 27.2
    G Mike Hart 1.9 16.4
    G Gary Bell, Jr. 9.2 28.6
    G Kevin Pangos 11.8 31.7

Biggest strength: Confidence. This group believes it should be No. 1 in the country and is ready to take on all challengers. A typically daunting preseason schedule reduced questions about another stroll through conference play. Gonzaga's confidence and balanced scoring should make for a three-weekend stay in this tournament.

Biggest weakness: It's hard to pick a weakness on a team that has been perfect for nearly two months. If there is a slight statistical weakness, it would be free throw shooting, where the Zags connect right at 70 percent.

Best player: Kelly Olynyk. Sure, Elias Harris and Kevin Pangos are high-level guys, but Olynyk has the kind of athleticism and feel rarely found in a big man. His ability to run the floor, spot up and shoot the ball, face the basket and put the ball on the floor as a 7-footer makes him a rare talent and a legit POY candidate.

X factor: Sam Dower. Everyone knows what to expect from Olynyk and Harris, as well as Pangos shooting the ball. Dower will play a huge role for the Zags if anyone in the frontcourt experiences foul trouble during the tournament. Dower, a junior, will be a breakout star next season and one to watch in the NCAAs.

SCOUTING REPORT

Offensive approach: Olynyk and Harris are a devastating combo for opposing defenses. They dominate the block and are both able to face up and score as well as put the ball on the deck and attack the rim. Surrounding them on the perimeter are strong shooters in Pangos and Gary Bell Jr.

Defensive approach: What a great story this is: Senior walk-on Mike Hart just won WCC Defensive Player of the Year. He's a hustle guy who does all of the little things to keep the Zags rolling, often attacking the offensive glass. This Gonzaga team does not have mid-major athletes. Seriously, it can match up man-to-man with any team in the country.

How they beat you: Olynyk shoots over 60 percent; Harris over 50 percent; Dower over 50 percent; Pangos connects on 42 percent of his 3s. This team beats you with efficiency. The Zags make the most of each trip down the floor and always seem to get good shots.

How you beat them: With only two losses this season, there really isn't a book on how to take down the Zags. Their loss at Butler was a game that was all but won before a wild finish, and their loss to Illinois happened when the spectacular Brandon Paul couldn't miss and finished with 35 points.

WHAT THE NUMBERS SAY

(Note: All statistics in this section are courtesy of kenpom.com, and are accurate through games of March 10.)

Category Stat Nat'l rank
    Offensive efficiency 120 4
    Defensive efficiency 88.8 20
    3-point percentage 36.7 58
    3-point percentage D 32.1 50
    Free throw rate 41.2 47
    Free throw rate D 30.0 50
    TO percentage 17.2 32
    TO percentage D 21.0 118

Good stat: Offensive efficiency rating
    The Bulldogs rank fourth in the country in this category at 120.0. Each trip down the floor seems to result in a quality shot. That said, it will be interesting to see how they fare after playing WCC opponents for the past two months.

Bad stat: Free throw rate
    This is a number you think would be better for the top-ranked team in the country, but the Bulldogs only come in at 47th. Still, among starters, only Hart shoots below 72 percent, and he attempted just 20 free throws all season.

HOW FAR WILL THEY GO?

Best-case scenario: National champions
    Richie Frahm, Matt Santangelo, Blake Stepp, Dan Dickau, Adam Morrison, etc. All of those players were on teams that were really good, but none ever reached the truly elite level. This team, probably Few's best yet, aspires to take that next step. It might have enough talent to do it against a wide-open field.

Worst-case scenario: Round of 32 exit
    Anything short of an Elite Eight appearance will be a huge disappointment. The Zags are loaded with a Wooden Award candidate and talent at every position. If Gonzaga doesn't make it out of the first weekend, all the naysayers will be there to say, "I told you so."
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14
  • Virginia Zags Fan
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Zagnificent View Post
    HOW FAR WILL THEY GO?

Best-case scenario: National champions
    Richie Frahm, Matt Santangelo, Blake Stepp, Dan Dickau, Adam Morrison, etc. All of those players were on teams that were really good, but none ever reached the truly elite level. This team, probably Few's best yet, aspires to take that next step. It might have enough talent to do it against a wide-open field.

Worst-case scenario: Round of 32 exit
    Anything short of an Elite Eight appearance will be a huge disappointment. The Zags are loaded with a Wooden Award candidate and talent at every position. If Gonzaga doesn't make it out of the first weekend, all the naysayers will be there to say, "I told you so."
    I really can't disagree with this at all. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• GUinSTL
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

The part I found most interesting...

"With only two losses this season, there really isn't a book on how to take down the Zags."

It dawned on me last night as I thought about how difficult it will be to scout the Zags properly. With nearly every other team in the tourney, just get out the game tape of all their losses and start taking notes.

Ever try to study for a test when the teacher won't tell you what's on it?

If I'm an opposing coach, I don't want to have to play the Zags.

~B

Comment

• Zagnificent
        Kennel Club Material
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by GUinSTL View Post
        "With only two losses this season, there really isn't a book on how to take down the Zags."

If I'm an opposing coach, I don't want to have to play the Zags.

~B
        Especially with just 1-2 days of prep-time. Pitt/Wichita State will have to scout one another profusely before they even think about preparing for the Zags. Try teaching your team to contain Olynyk and Harris in just an evening or two. St. Mary's had a full season to prepare and were never able to do so.
        GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

Comment

• hooter73
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2008

I was hearing this just yesterday; how the second game against the zags will be the toughest for no matter who the opponent is because of the quick turnaround, no real scouting time. We all know the best chance anyone has against us is with big athletic guards, but that was pre conference and I think shutting Delly down back to back showed us what to do against a big, elite guard.

Comment

• former1dog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Teams could try the BYU method of beating Gonzaga.

Pack it in and beat the #### out of us. Although they would have to count on another awful shooting night from GU and have lots of guys off the bench as their front court gets into foul trouble. And even then, BYU didn't win.

Comment

• Sarenyon
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Agree F1. That is my best guess at what Pitt would try to do. Try and out big our bigs. Not certain how WStU will go about it though.
              GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• SwainZag
                Kennel Club
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                Teams could try the BYU method of beating Gonzaga.

Pack it in and beat the #### out of us. Although they would have to count on another awful shooting night from GU and have lots of guys off the bench as their front court gets into foul trouble. And even then, BYU didn't win.
                That's assuming they play a good zone as well. I read one commentator say that BYU runs the best zone defense outside of Syracuse.

Comment

Working...
                X