PDA

View Full Version : Raivio for WCC POY?

SteeleMan
02-13-2007, 12:23 PM
For those who know... how many consecutive years has GU had the WCC Player of the Year? Has it been Dickau, Stepp, Turiaf, Adam?

And what's your thoughts on the chances of Derek continuing the streek?

He currently leads the conference in scoring avg (18.2 ppg), and free throw percentage (.957), is fourth in 3-pt percentage (.417), tied for first in 3-pointers made (73).

Going beyond stats, his inspiring play last night in trying to get the team back in striking distance was a sight I won't soon forget. He was smothered for much of the game and still was able to create shots and get GU close. And on defense, when they went to the full court press, he was instrumental in getting turnovers that turned into quick baskets on the other end.

I'm hopefull that Derek Raivio gets 2006/2007 WCC Player of the Year.

CDC84
02-13-2007, 12:27 PM
If depends on who wins the regular season title. The award usually goes to a senior on the title team. If SCU were to win the league, and I were forced to vote by this criteria, I would vote for Denison. I know his stats aren't overwhelming, but for me he is the key guy on their team.....the improvements he has made are largely responsible for SCU's success. I mean, I wouldn't mind it if the Zags could borrow him right now. If the Zags win it, the choice is D-Rav.

SteeleMan
02-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Good point on the team that wins the regular season title usually has the POY. I noticed that in year's past when GU won the title, but in remembering the choice seemed to be a no-brainer and noone in league came close to that of Dickau, Ronny or Adam... I think Blake may have been a wild card (my memory's not so good).

freezer12
02-13-2007, 12:41 PM
If depends on who wins the regular season title. The award usually goes to a senior on the title team. If SCU were to win the league, and I were forced to vote by this criteria, I would vote for Denison. I know his stats aren't overwhelming, but for me he is the key guy on their team.....the improvements he has made are largely responsible for SCU's success. I mean, I wouldn't mind it if the Zags could borrow him right now. If the Zags win it, the choice is D-Rav.

I definitely agree that the health (finally) of Sean has contributed to the success of our team greatly. However, after watching this team all year, I would say that Danny P. is the player that made this year's Broncos good. He has brought the new dimention of running, rather than same the same old half court offense. That said, my personal candidate for WCC POY from our team is Scott D.

soonerterp
02-14-2007, 03:05 AM
I think its Raivio regardless of whether Gonzaga wins the league (and tourney) or not. His statistics are for the most part, sterling ... and last night should have been a testament for his heart.

Akzag
02-14-2007, 04:52 AM
The reminder in all of this is that each coach "nominates" one of his own players for consideration, then IIRC, cannot vote for his own player ... most of the time, yes, they are seniors that are nominated, but I would suggest that Davey would be hard-pressed not to nominate Brody over Denison. He's made a world of difference as well ....

B66? Any thoughts ... ?

SCUfan
02-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Well, I'm not '66, but maybe I can help. :)

Brody had actually been in a shooting slump for a decent part of this season, only to come out of it a while ago and start playing great. Both of our starting guards are still pass-first guys. They can hit big shots when we need them, but neither really has stellar numbers other than assists and assist-to-turnover ratio.

No one on the Broncos really has stellar numbers, which is kind of interesting for a team doing well. Any guy can go off for 20 one night or you can wind up with 5 guys in double-figures. Half the fun of this season has been trying to figure out who was going to have the big game on what day.

My personal opinion, and it's only an opinion, is that Davey will nominate a senior. My choice would be Scott Dougherty, but it could be Denison. I think Raivio wins it in the end, regardless of which team wins the title.

jake
02-14-2007, 08:37 AM
I want to be careful how I word this, so it doesn't appear I'm bashing Raivio, but I go back and forth if he would get my vote as conference player of the year. If you step back and look at the field as a whole his credentials and numbers are as good as anyone. If I was voting based off of the second half of the Santa Clara game he'd get my vote. He still might get my vote for the year, but he has stretches like the first half of the Santa Clara game where he just disappears. To me, the conference player of the year should be the one guy on your team you'd say "I'll keep him over any other player on my team." The events of last week might have changed my answer some, but, while I love Raivio, I don't know if he's the guy I'd keep over anyone else.

SteeleMan
02-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Jake, if you have it recorded, go back and look at the SC game and see the defense that they were putting on him. Sure, in the second half it seemed as though he said, "Okay, I've had enough! Time to get 'er going." And may SC got a bit tired of chasing him around and they slowed a bit while Raivio kept up his pace.

Opposing teams have made it a strict point to smother him.

former1dog
02-14-2007, 09:06 AM
One observation, re: Raivio and the defensive strategy that has been used against him by it seems every team.

A standard play when DRAV has the ball in his hands is to have him dribble off a screen at or near the top of the key. Consistently he has been double teamed aggressively coming off this screen to prevent the "roll" pass to the screener.

I noticed a brand new tactic employed by DRAV in the 2nd half against SCU. He split the double team and penetrated into the key. I thought it was brilliant and would love to see more of it. I wonder if DRAV decided on his own to employ this new tactic or if Few and Co. advised him to give it a go.

BTW - I would still like to see DRAV utilize off ball screens better. It was encouraging to hear during the last broadcast that the coaches have been working with him on this facet of his game.

RebornZag
02-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Every player from Gonzaga that did win the POY award was double teamed as much as Drav. Adam was often tripple-teamed. If any team has an outstanding player they get double-teamed.

I do think Drav has a great chance of being named POY. It will depend on how GU finishes the season and how Derek does. The last 3 conference games are huge. I think it's between Drav and Daugherty myself. A Zag and a son os a Zag. Pretty Kool.:D

ZagMania
02-14-2007, 10:25 AM
One observation, re: Raivio and the defensive strategy that has been used against him by it seems every team.

A standard play when DRAV has the ball in his hands is to have him dribble off a screen at or near the top of the key. Consistently he has been double teamed aggressively coming off this screen to prevent the "roll" pass to the screener.

I noticed a brand new tactic employed by DRAV in the 2nd half against SCU. He split the double team and penetrated into the key. I thought it was brilliant and would love to see more of it. I wonder if DRAV decided on his own to employ this new tactic or if Few and Co. advised him to give it a go.

BTW - I would still like to see DRAV utilize off ball screens better. It was encouraging to hear during the last broadcast that the coaches have been working with him on this facet of his game.

Ditto. Loved to see Raivio split the screens which often led to Santa Clara having to foul him. I have also been harping that Raivio needs to use screens better to reach the pinnacle of his game.

lothar98zag
02-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I do think Drav has a great chance of being named POY. It will depend on how GU finishes the season and how Derek does. The last 3 conference games are huge.
Agreed.

This thing is far from settled.

UIUWUMUCGuy
02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Yeah, there are three games left, but if GU and SCU have the same record and SCU won both games between the, to win the title GU needs SCU to lose two more games than the Zags over the remainder of the season.

Unless Raivio stands out strong in each WCC coache's mind, I'll bet they'll be pleased for vote for someone other than a GU player and may feel compelled to vote for a player from the team that wins the WCC.

IdahZag
02-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Santa Clara did not beat Gonzaga twice, only once. They each won on the other's home floor.

sittingon50
02-14-2007, 02:48 PM
It will be a very tight vote this year IMO. Obviously I have no idea how each coach weights the factor's that he uses but one x factor that DRav has going for him is his incredible FT shooting.
By the end of the season he will be #1, #3 & #4 in the top individual season FT shooting stat's for the WCC (all games). In just WCC games he will be #3, #4 & #8 and will obviuosly be the WCC career FT% leader. He may get the edge with a "Lifetime Achievement" vote.
OTOH, there may be a move afoot to break the GU stranglehold on POY (6 in a row). Seems certain that Dick Davey will break Mark Few's hold on COY.

lothar98zag
02-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Seems certain that Dick Davey will break Mark Few's hold on COY.

IMHO, at this point it's pretty much a lock that DD will win COY.

Zag79
02-16-2007, 12:59 PM
raivo. his stats seal it for me.