PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past

AlwaysZagFan
03-17-2013, 11:28 AM
On a day like today with the announcement of the 2013 brackets for the NCAA tournament, it is fun to seen where we were some years ago. While doing some housecleaning yesterday, I came upon a newspaper-like bulletin titled "Gonzaga, A Quarterly Publication of Gonzaga University," published in Spring 2001. The front page featured a photo with a banner "Sweet 16 1999, 2000, 2001." The photo showed the players holding the trophy from the West Coast Conference tournament, which G.U. won over Santa Clara by a score of 80-77. Gonzaga went on to defeat Virginia, 86-85, and Indiana State, 85-68, before falling to defending national campion Michigan State, 77-62, in the Sweet 16. The players in the photo included Dan Dickau in front, Corey Violette, Casey Calvary, and Zache Gourde among others. Mark Few is holding a child.

Here are some of the quotes from that story:

"Skill, friendships, sense of humor guided team into third straight Sweet 16, a nation's heart."

"Can you get to the Sweet 16 without the friendship and hijinks displayed by Gonzaga? Probably. But why would you want to." From the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

"Spokane fully embraced the Zags once again, as little got done in the Lilac City when the Zags were playing in the Big Dance. Signs all over town hailed Gonzaga's accomplishment."

"If someone's looking for a label, Few has one to offer. 'I prefer to call this team champions,' Few said after the Bulldogs finally bowed to Michigan State. 'They are champions after accomplishing what they did in league, what they did in the league tournament and what they did in this tournament.'"

"It is something very special to play at Gonzaga," Calvary said after playing his last game in a Bulldog uniform. "I think of these guys I have played with over the past four years as brothers, and I'll always think of this as the best time of my life." And his Bulldog brothers agreed. "Playing with Casey and the other guys has been a privilege," said senior forward Mark Spibnk. "Donning this uniform and representing this University has been an experience to savor for a lifetime. I'll be a Zag forever."

"After trailing for most of their second-round NCAA tournament game against Indiana State, Calvary dominated the inside in the final six minutes and led the Zags to victory. Asked afterward if he felt the need to take charge, he adamently said, "No. That's not Zag team basketball. We're in this together. I just had some opportunities down the stretch and I took advantage of it. But it could have been Dan, Zach or Mark, just as easily."
"This was a team that enjoyed playing together and joking together . . . . One reporter informed point guard Dan Dickau that Calvary had more assists against Virginia than he did, and Dickau wrylyt responded, "Of course, he was passing to me."

Seniors Mark Spink and Casey Calvary were part of more wins (104) than any players in GU basketball history to that date. I believe that Elias Harris has now broken that record, but I'm not sure with how many wins.

Like this year, Mark Few was WCC Coach of the Year. Casey Calvary was WCC Player of the Year, Mark Spink was WCC Defender of the Year, and Blake Stepp was WCC Freshman of the Year.

We're looking forward to the stories about the 2013 Zags when this season is completed (hopefully, that will be a while and they will go deep in the Tournament). GO, ZAGS!!!

Birddog
03-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Great post. I was in Memphis for the win over Indiana St and the post game press conference with Casey and Dan was priceless. Press row loved em too.

GoZags
03-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Great post. I was in Memphis for the win over Indiana St and the post game press conference with Casey and Dan was priceless. Press row loved em too.

I think I have some of those press conferences and will try to get them to Tucsonzag to add to the classics. My favorite line was Dickau to Calvary .... "Hey Casey, you and I combined for 15 rebounds!" Casey had the 15 to 3D's zero.