PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call for MBB Banquet

ID ZAGFAN
03-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Who else will be there tonight? We'll be there--but don't look for the red hoodie
and 2 pony tails. I'll be wearing a pink/purple flowered skirt and cream sweater, with my hair down.

ZaGranny

rawkmandale
03-15-2013, 01:19 PM
I tried to buy two tickets about 10 days ago - but it was already sold out.

Bulldog
03-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Just have to run up and get some hairs trimmed, polish my court shoes and then on the way.

Hoopaholic
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
stuck in LA but there in spirit

Zag 77
03-15-2013, 02:16 PM
It is one expensive banquet. To let you in on a secret, it is cheaper to go to the Onion Downtown after a home game where many of them go after a game. You can then get your photos and autographs for free.

ridgebackzag
03-16-2013, 08:45 AM
It is one expensive banquet. To let you in on a secret, it is cheaper to go to the Onion Downtown after a home game where many of them go after a game. You can then get your photos and autographs for free.

I've seen a few of the guys at Chills after games as well. Is the Onion more of a regular spot?

Zagpower
03-16-2013, 10:10 AM
GF had a limited edition Zag bottle of red wine signed by the team in silver sharpie. Nice addition to the Cave.

Lewey
03-16-2013, 02:05 PM
A few tidbits from the dinner:

-Loved the videos of various players talking about the seniors.
-Kelly on MH: On a rebound, you see a big scrum, and MH comes out with the rebound. You think, man, was he lucky, right time, right place. Then it happens again, lucky, right time, right place. But it keeps happening. It's not luck, he just knows how to get himself in the right place at the right time.
-Various players talking about E: He just complains all the time, not about anything major, but like the drapes don't close all the way, the window doesn't close right, why would they plug in the lamp here, I can't use the plug in! E was laughing all the way as different players were giving examples. During his speech, he said he was going to thank his team mates, but wasn't sure he wanted to after their comments on video.

Donny Daniels introduced Guy for his speech. Both Donny and Guy discussed the disappointment Guy has had this year and how well he handled it (Few mentioned it too). He kept fighting and playing hard in practice, when he could have just given up. Guy said he really appreciated Coach D discussing with him how he went through the same thing when he was a player. Guy didn't say what Coach D told him, but from what they both said I got the impression that it had to do with Guy being a stronger, better person in life for the adversity and how he handled it. And that looking back it would just be short blip in his career and life. It was clear that Guy was very appreciative of the support Coach D has given him.

Tommy Lloyd introduced E. Tommy was joking throughout his intro. At least I think he was. He said he got a letter that morning stating that E was going to be in Cosmo magazine as one of the sexiest (I think it was) basketball players. A joke? I'm sure we'll find out later from someone on the boards if he appears!

I spoke with Coach Krause after the dinner and I said I was most impressed with the defense this year. He said he thought the defense was the best that we have had since he has been on staff. He said it wasn't a matter of individual defense, but the whole team playing defense together and working with each other that made the difference.

My wife who is a big MH fan spoke with Coach K before I joined them. She related that he has an overall measurement statistic for the players. Something related to overall team work abilities, not direct basketball skills. Things like communication, friendliness, compatibility. He told her JP Batista was the highest he had until MH. MH has a rating about twice JP's!

And to top it of she got a picture of her with MH. Overall had a great time!

Lewey
03-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Oh yeah, in Mike's speech, he thanked Jen Nyland, and said she never has to help him with any normal injuries. He said after the WCC championship game, a tough game, you would expect she would help him with bruises or strains. No, he had his hand bandaged and got an antibiotic shot because he cut his hand on the trophy!

Section 116
03-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks Lewey. We've opted out of the men's banquet the past few years Appreciate your report!

Section 116
03-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Banquet pics taken by team members

Pangos: http://instagram.com/p/W5i_aJuUrU/

Barham: http://instagram.com/p/W5i9dGEn5G/

Karnowski: http://instagram.com/p/W5ioXqG4CU/

gamagin
03-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Oh yeah, in Mike's speech, he thanked Jen Nyland, and said she never has to help him with any normal injuries. He said after the WCC championship game, a tough game, you would expect she would help him with bruises or strains. No, he had his hand bandaged and got an antibiotic shot because he cut his hand on the trophy!

for the fine report.

Can you guesstimate how many attended, how long it lasted and were there periods of photo ops or a line where introductions were held ? what was the mood with the national championships race coming up ?

thanks.

ID ZAGFAN
03-16-2013, 06:47 PM
for the fine report.

Can you guesstimate how many attended, how long it lasted and were there periods of photo ops or a line where introductions were held ? what was the mood with the national championships race coming up ?

thanks.

64 tables--8 to a table--some empty seats--I would guess 475b (Chris Johnson told me a couple weeks ago that that there were 500 tickets sold.)

Social hour started at 5, went downstairs around 6 walked out at 9:15---but we stayed to get photos taken. See my Z A in Z thread for descriptions and pictures.

The mood was fantastic--it was a huge celebration of Zag basketball.

ZaGranny

Lewey
03-16-2013, 09:16 PM
The players got their food first, so they could "mingle" with the crowd. In reality what happened was after a reasonable amount of time for them to eat, people started coming up to them for autographs, pictures, etc. I only saw a couple that got out of their seat and came down in front of their tables to be with the crowd. The rest of the players were pretty much non-stop signing autographs. After a half hour or so, they sent everyone back to their seats and they proceeded with the senior speeches. After that it wrapped up but there was more time for autographs and pictures.