• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gozagswoohoo
    Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
    • Feb 2007

I went to Vegas. It was awesome. See.

So I've been to about 10-12 games over the last 8 or so seasons, and this was the most incredible zags crowd I've experienced besides being at an actual home game at the MAC. This crowd was just spectacular! For all you big zags fans out there, you GOTTA get to Vegas for one of these future tournaments. It is just SO much fun, and there are so many zags fans all over the place. SUCH a blast.

I got to meet a ton of posters, so it was really fun. I FINALLY got to meet the one and only Reno, so I can mark that one off of my bucket list! I wish I could have hung out with you a bit more Reno, but we'll just have to make that happen NEXT year, right?? haha! PS- I am still wondering why the heck I didn't get a few pictures with you?? I think I was too caught up in finally getting to shake your hand.

Also saw one of the zags most passionate fans, ID Zagfan, aka ZaGranny. (Thanks again for the gift!).

Got to talk with EZCure again. We had a chance to hang out for a few hours my last trip to Vegas, but just didn't have time this go-round. EZCure loves his zags, I'll tell you that much! He got a lot of great pics with the team too.

Also hung out with Oregon Zag (and husband) for a while, also some very passionate zags fans with some awesome zag encounter stories! I enjoyed my time with them.

Got to meet Virginia Zags Fan, super nice guy! I didn't get to chat with him too long, but it was still great to meet him.

ALso, another legendary poster, Section116. I've met him before too, but it was great seeing him (and seeing Mrs. Section116!) again, he is also easily one of the nicest and coolest zags fans I know.

One thing I really enjoyed this time was meeting some of the other lurkers (I ran into probably 3-4 members that either don't post or didn't even have screen names, but happen to recognize me or my hat, and stopped to say hi). That was a lot of fun.

Also, AzZag and wife, love these 2! We pretty much hung the entire time with them. It's amazing how we just sort of randomly met these 2 at the last Vegas trip we attended, and they've now turned into some of our most cherished friends! Had a lot of fun with them. Nice ski mask!!! (inside joke, hahaha)

I'll tell you one thing zags fans....we are a LUCKY bunch! This following that Gonzaga has is one of a kind, and I'm serious. Every single fan/poster I met last weekend, knew EXACTLY what they were talking about during our zags conversations! It is amazing to me how so many people know so much about this team. They all know all of the players and their stories, and it is just so much fun to talk about our zags. I have good friends here in Missouri who are "die hard Mizzou fans" or "die hard SLU fans", yet when I ask them about seniors that will graduate, or transfers coming in, or even the most basic questions like who the leading scorer is....they can't answer me?!?! It blows my mind. Also, there was a woman sitting to my left at the game, she had to be 80+, and she was hootin and hollerin ALL GAME LONG. She stood up during one of the GU band songs and was waving her arms dancing. I love it. I have been to so many different teams arena's and what not, and there IS NO FAN BASE AS PASSIONATE AS OURS.

I don't want to sound all foofy or anything, but when I am games/gatherings like this, it feels more like a huge family function or family reunion, instead of 'just a basketball game'. I hated to come home!!

Lastly, I had a really funny encounter on the way home. I saw a husband and wife in the airport terminal, and noticed they were all decked out in zags gear, so I struck up a conversation. We talked for a good 30 minutes while we waited for the flight to board. Turns out, they're season ticket holders, and yet again, extremely passionate zags fans! They were 2 of the nicest people I ran into all weekend, and by the end of a simple 30 minutes conversation, we had exchanged phone numbers and I even had an offer from him to come catch a future home game with him since he has season tickets. It's just incredible to me, because I know how coveted a ticket to a home game is. Whether I do ever actually get to accept his offer, the offer by itself says a lot about him and his wife. And like I have said a thousand times before, stories like this just don't surprise me anymore because this is just the way zags fans are. It's amazing.

So we need to consider ourselves lucky with this incredible fan base and team/staff we have. The entire organization is a class act, from top to bottom.

Now, for a few pictures.

This is from our hotel, The Flamingo. We loved it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I may never stay anywhere else again while in Vegas.

This picture isn't zag related, but it is just a neat picture!

From our hotel room. So neat.

PENDO! Looking sharp.

More pictures coming from the social and the game.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...
  • gozagswoohoo
    • Feb 2007

Cool picture, not sure how this will turn out in a post though.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
      • Feb 2007

Pretty sure heaven will look something like this.

From our seats.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
        • Feb 2007

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

My buddy Section116

One more thing- One of the most incredible experiences I had was just after the game ended. I went down to the court and was talking to the players, and they let me hold the trophy, and then lifted me up on their shoulders. I didn't get a picture of it, so I will draw it in MS Paint real quick.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I'm sold...I'm going to make the trip next year. I'll take a week - 10 days off and drive. Do some Route 66 sightseeing along IH 40, spend a day or two in Kanab, UT or camp out near Area 51 .

If Stillwater was a blast, I'll bet a few days in Vegas with a few thousand Zag fans is Nirvana.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

My buddy Section116

One more thing- One of the most incredible experiences I had was just after the game ended. I went down to the court and was talking to the players, and they let me hold the trophy, and then lifted me up on their shoulders. I didn't get a picture of it, so I will draw it in MS Paint real quick.
            If any players come down with shoulder/back ailments, your a$$ is gra$$!

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
              • Feb 2007

Okay okay okay, I made this last part up. So sue me.

Comment

• sittingon50
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Did Francis get trampled?
                But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                  Did Francis get trampled?
                  Francis got left home. I don't trust him in Vegas.... I live in the middle of hick-ville Missouri, and even still, he is always trying to get on the computer and find prostitutes.

Comment

• sittingon50
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Did you get him any "business" cards?
                    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• gamagin
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

+1

Fine report. thanks
                      Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                      Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                      Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• ZagNative
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Francis got left home. I don't trust him in Vegas.... I live in the middle of hick-ville Missouri, and even still, he is always trying to get on the computer and find prostitutes.
                        Bust out laughing!

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                          Zag for Life
                          • Apr 2007

Excellent report all around Woohoo. Greatly enjoyed reading it.
                          I hope to make the Vegas trip to see the Zags next year.
                          We are planning to see them In L.A. in two weeks.
                          GO ZAGS!

Comment

• abarefootboy
                            Kennel Club
                            • Nov 2007

always fun to read you woohoo .. thanks !
                            humanity is one family ... with one heart

Comment

• Proudzagmom
                              Kennel Club Alum
                              • Feb 2007

I've been lucky enough to meet many of the people you mentioned and they are all great Zag fans. I was hoping to meet you and your beautiful bride this year, but I guess it wasn't in the cards. I shared an elevator with Coach Heathcote and his wife and I met Haiden Palmer's grandfather before the championship game. Such a nice man and so proud of Haiden, as he should be. You're right, there is no fan like a Gonzaga fan.

I look forward to the tournament every year. The atmosphere inside the arena is unlike anything I've ever been a part of. My son made it on the big screen during the St Mary's semi final game and he loved cheering for the Zags. He made a lot of new friends, which was pretty cool.

Thanks for the great photos, WooHoo. I knew you'd have fun. I hope to meet you and many others next year. Go Zags!

Comment

Working...
                              X