PDA

View Full Version : Bennett on the Zags and Jordan vs Ali as GOAT

MBAGael
03-13-2013, 06:55 PM
He was on the radio today. He speaks very highly of your team and why it's special:

http://www.knbr.com/common/page.php?pt=Tom+Tolbert+Podcast&id=781&is_corp=0

sittingon50
03-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Haven't really heard RB in any extended interviews like that. Was fairly loose.

Tolbert had a great line about the NCAA going to come after him for "failing to promote an atmosphere of dental safety!":roll:

MTZag03
03-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Bennett seems a bit bewildered by what it takes to get to the NCAAs. He says the selection committe should "tell us the rules" in order to get into the tourney. He then states that they should reward teams with excellency and put them in. I honestly think that he does not understand the formula that others have. Win against top 100 and top 50. Schedule at least respectably out of conference. You just can't hang your hats on SCU and Utah State as quailty wins. It is unfair to your players to not give them this shot.

Thread related...thanks Gaelfan for posting. Bennett did say positive things. My feelings about him have changed a bit.

ZagNative
03-13-2013, 07:26 PM
That was fun, MBA! Thanks for posting. I hope you'll update with an updated interview after Selection Sunday.

Fingers crossed for the Gaels!

Section 116
03-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Bennetts comments regarding the Zags come on at about the 9:30 mark. Notes Olynyk is the difference maker this year. Pangos and Bell have seen their scoring drop off a bit, but that is because they put the team first. Just another affirmation regarding there is no "I" in this TEAM. Thanks for the post MBAGael

ZagsBaby
03-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Bennetts comments regarding the Zags come on at about the 9:30 mark. Notes Olynyk is the difference maker this year. Pangos and Bell have seen their scoring drop off a bit, but that is because they put the team first. Just another affirmation regarding there is no "I" in this TEAM. Thanks for the post MBAGael

"There's no I in team, but there's an I in win."

One of the great Michael Jordan quotes. G.O.A.T.

maynard g krebs
03-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Pangos and Bell have seen their scoring drop off a bit, but that is because they put the team first.

It was great to hear these comments by Bennett, because it's something that can't be stressed enough imo. Sacrificing personal stats for team success is what great players do. Their play has been questioned at times this year on this board, but you just don't win like this without great guard play. Even during their respective slumps they helped the team win.

Hoopaholic
03-13-2013, 08:05 PM
And one...for Maynard

RenoZag
03-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Good interview, thank you for posting the link.

bartruff1
03-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Gee...I am sorry I called him a dick...I almost like him now... and I am confident the Maries will dance...

TheGonzagaFactor
03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Bennett seems a bit bewildered by what it takes to get to the NCAAs. He says the selection committe should "tell us the rules" in order to get into the tourney. He then states that they should reward teams with excellency and put them in. I honestly think that he does not understand the formula that others have. Win against top 100 and top 50. Schedule at least respectably out of conference. You just can't hang your hats on SCU and Utah State as quailty wins. It is unfair to your players to not give them this shot.

Thread related...thanks Gaelfan for posting. Bennett did say positive things. My feelings about him have changed a bit.

+1

229SintoZag
03-13-2013, 08:33 PM
"There's no I in team, but there's an I in win."

One of the great Michael Jordan quotes. G.O.A.T.

Look I agree that MJ was the best basketball player ever. No debate.

But let's be real. There only ever was, and only ever will be, one G.O.A.T.:

http://www.abebooks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/goat-reprint.jpg

sittingon50
03-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Preach it, Sinto!!

maynard g krebs
03-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Look I agree that Bill Russell was the best basketball player ever. No debate.

Fixed that for you.

WallaWallaZag
03-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Look I agree that MJ was the best basketball player ever. No debate.

But let's be real. There only ever was, and only ever will be, one G.O.A.T.:

...is that kaufusi standing over KO??? :p

Ekrub
03-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Tyson would have killed Ali.

sittingon50
03-13-2013, 10:43 PM
You mean when Ali was in his 40's?

2wiceright
03-14-2013, 12:06 AM

+1000 :cheers:

Malastein
03-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Ali was better for most of his career than Mike Tyson, but Tyson was better when he wasn't far past Cos D'Amato's death. He became too much of a head hunter after that.

Basketball is a different sport. Jordan could probably play at a higher level at any era than Russel, but LeBron is legitimately starting to challenge his status now. We'll see how that changes, since Durant is good enough to creep in as well. If LeBron can keep Durant in check, then he moves past Jordan for having dominated a greater rival.

gu03alum
03-14-2013, 02:04 AM
How can you be GOAT when you had 5 losses in your career?

Joe Frazier
Ken Norton
Leon Spinks
Larry Holmes
Trevor Berbick

Guy talked a bunch of sh1t and got his butt kicked 5 times. I will never understand why people of my dads generation love this guy so much.

TexasZagFan
03-14-2013, 04:36 AM

Joe Frazier
Ken Norton
Leon Spinks
Larry Holmes
Trevor Berbick

Guy talked a bunch of sh1t and got his butt kicked 5 times. I will never understand why people of my dads generation love this guy so much.

Methinks you would have gotten your arse kicked on 3rd floor DeSmet the night Ali beat Foreman.

The man risked it all for sticking to his principles, refusing to be conscripted in the Army, based upon his religious convictions and opposition to the Vietnam war.

To call him an iconic figure is a massive understatement.

scott257
03-14-2013, 06:51 AM

I am curious if he isn't a bit between a rock and a hard place with respect to scheduling. Gonzaga gets a pretty consistently tough non-conference schedule now because it is worthwhile for other teams to play us. I suspect that isn't the case right now for St. Mary's. They are a dangerous team, but a loss to them by a team that "should" beat them, only really hurts the other team. It might be more difficult than we think for Bennett.

john montana
03-14-2013, 07:01 AM
I am curious if he isn't a bit between a rock and a hard place with respect to scheduling. Gonzaga gets a pretty consistently tough non-conference schedule now because it is worthwhile for other teams to play us. I suspect that isn't the case right now for St. Mary's. They are a dangerous team, but a loss to them by a team that "should" beat them, only really hurts the other team. It might be more difficult than we think for Bennett.

Then do what we did...go on the road, take 'em on wherever they will play you. You have to earn the right to get MSU on your home floor in the non conference by paying your dues on the road.

Once and Future Zag
03-14-2013, 07:01 AM

The thing is that GU went out and didn't demand home/home series immediately ion experiencing success. St Mary's seems to want to skip that step of takin 2 for 1 series.

sittingon50
03-14-2013, 07:05 AM
All of those (Ali) losses were after his prime, which was mostly eaten up by the 3 1/2 years that he was banned from boxing.

His 1st loss was to Joe Frazier. He beat him twice, later.

His 2nd loss was a 12 round split decision to Ken Norton. He had his jaw broken in the 2nd. He beat him 6 months later.

His 3rd loss was to Leon Spinks. He beat him 7 months later.

Tyson lost 6 fights.

Money issues, ego, nothing else to do; how many athletes hang around too long? A boat load.

What was this thread about again?

Jazzgirl_127
03-14-2013, 07:15 AM
...is that kaufusi standing over KO??? :p

Sonny Liston is on his back, if that was Kaufusi's hit from behind, he'd be facing the mat :boxing:

Ekrub
03-14-2013, 07:42 AM

Prime vs. Prime. I know Ali was an iconic figure and what not, but head to head, Ali would be lucky to get out of the first round. We tend to romanticize the past and make players/teams better than they were. Heck, I'm even a bit guilty of that with the '99 zags.

Tough to argue across time periods because athletes are obviously becoming bigger stronger and faster and sometimes we are arguing about different things (dominance in an era vs. actual skill). An while I was just a young kid during Tyson's career, I've gone back and watched almost all his fights (many of Ali's as well, although its tough to find some of them, even on the Internet ) and I don't know if there has ever been as ferocious of a killer as Tyson, or if there ever will be again.

bartruff1
03-14-2013, 07:46 AM

Joe Frazier
Ken Norton
Leon Spinks
Larry Holmes
Trevor Berbick

Listen to your father.....Ali would float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

His only rival for GOAT was Secretariat !!!

webspinnre
03-14-2013, 07:47 AM
There's no "I" in "TEAM", but there is an "m" and an "e".

Zagdawg
03-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Is that Apollo Creed or Clubber Lane?

Robzagnut
03-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Prime vs. Prime. I know Ali was an iconic figure and what not, but head to head, Ali would be lucky to get out of the first round. We tend to romanticize the past and make players/teams better than they were. Heck, I'm even a bit guilty of that with the '99 zags.

Tough to argue across time periods because athletes are obviously becoming bigger stronger and faster and sometimes we are arguing about different things (dominance in an era vs. actual skill). An while I was just a young kid during Tyson's career, I've gone back and watched almost all his fights (many of Ali's as well, although its tough to find some of them, even on the Internet ) and I don't know if there has ever been as ferocious of a killer as Tyson, or if there ever will be again.

Sorry. My money is on Ali. George Foreman was the Tyson of his day and Ali beat him when he was way past his prime.

When I was a teenager I was a Frazier fan and couldn't stand Ali. I didn't appreciate his greatness until I got older. When Ali was in his prime you couldn't hit him. He was constant motion and the fastest feet I've ever seen on a man that size.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Prime vs. Prime. I know Ali was an iconic figure and what not, but head to head, Ali would be lucky to get out of the first round.

Tyson was amazing when he was at his prime, but his prime was very short. By the time James Buster Douglas took him out, he did not look like the same fighter he had been against Michael Spinks.

sittingon50
03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Ali was 6'3" with an 80 inch reach. And fast as hell.

Tyson was 5'10" with a reach of 71 inches.

Target practice.

jim77
03-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Ali was the best pure "BOXER" ever in the heavyweight ranks. He had serious quick hands for a guy his size and feet to match. Tyson would be lucky to get past Foreman. Buster Douglas destroyed him 4 years into his prime..nuff said.

gu03alum
03-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Listen to your father.....Ali would float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

His only rival for GOAT was Secretariat !!!

GOAT is Jordan. Ali and Secretariat are not even close.

bartruff1
03-14-2013, 09:40 AM
GOAT is Jordan. Ali and Secretariat are not even close.

You whippersnappers need to show more respect toward your elders...

Ekrub
03-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Ali was 6'3" with an 80 inch reach. And fast as hell.

Tyson was 5'10" with a reach of 71 inches.

Target practice.

Size advantage is the only argument I can respect as Tyson struggled with bigger guys. Still, Ali had average to poor defense (he was crafty and elusive, but was prone to taking some monster shots). And quite frankly I'd take a foreman punch over a Tyson punch any day. Tyson >> Foreman. And I truly think it would be Tyson by KO by round 4

gu03alum
03-14-2013, 10:20 AM
You whippersnappers need to show more respect toward your elders...

http://www.ultimate-youth-basketball-guide.com/images/michael-jordan-dunking-21357876.jpg

Sometimes I dream
That he is me
You've got to see that's how I dream to be
I dream I move, I dream I groove
Like Mike
If I could Be Like Mike
Like Mike
Oh, if I could Be Like Mike
Be Like Mike, Be Like Mike
Again I try
Just need to fly
For just one day if I could
Be that way
I dream I move
I dream I groove
Like Mike
If I could Be Like Mike
I wanna be, I wanna be
Like Mike
Oh, if I could Be Like Mike

maynard g krebs
03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Russell and Jordan played different games (and by that I mean the styles of their eras were so different the games they played are barely recognizable as the same), so it's apples and oranges, really.

But no one ever came close to dominating the game like Russell did. Like a chess master who saw everything about 3 moves before anyone else who ever played the game. Anyone who doesn't get that simply wasn't around when Russell played. And I was a sixers fan as a kid who hated the celtics in those years.

Jordan was more of a David Stern marketing phenomenon imo. The hero of the age when the NBA became phony. The beneficiary of favorable officiating to a great extent.

Hoopaholic
03-14-2013, 10:36 AM
scary how often regarding basketball I see eye to eye with your opinions maynard...may some day have to buy you a beer to find out truly who you are behind the masked name:D

bartruff1
03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Russell and Jordan played different games (and by that I mean the styles of their eras were so different the games they played are barely recognizable as the same), so it's apples and oranges, really.

But no one ever came close to dominating the game like Russell did. Like a chess master who saw everything about 3 moves before anyone else who ever played the game. Anyone who doesn't get that simply wasn't around when Russell played. And I was a sixers fan as a kid who hated the celtics in those years.

Jordan was more of a David Stern marketing phenomenon imo. The hero of the age when the NBA became phony. The beneficiary of favorable officiating to a great extent.

Nike, one of the greatest marketing firms of all time...made Mike "Mike".....Secretariat didn't even have a agent....but at least he had a great retirement...

maynard g krebs
03-14-2013, 10:50 AM
scary how often regarding basketball I see eye to eye with your opinions maynard...may some day have to buy you a beer to find out truly who you are behind the masked name:D

If you're ever in Seattle area send me a pm.

229SintoZag
03-14-2013, 11:00 AM

Joe Frazier
Ken Norton
Leon Spinks
Larry Holmes
Trevor Berbick

And MJ looked fat and slow in his last months with the wizards.

The loss to Frazier was more than redeemed by the thrilla in Manila.

To claim that a guy like Tyson could beat Ali is just silly. Tyson wold never get close enough to Ali to land a punch. And as we saw in the Buster Douglas and Rumble in the Jungle fights, Tyson couldn't take a punch. Ali could.

rennis
03-14-2013, 11:09 AM
There is probably a lot of truth in Randy's flattery, but you have to consider that he is now lobbying for an at-large bid. SMC's inability to beat GU even once this year is a major pain point. Even if RB thought GU wasn't the best team, or one of the best, you'd never hear that come out of his mouth. Not with the implications for his own bid in the balance.

scott257
03-14-2013, 11:52 AM
The thing is that GU went out and didn't demand home/home series immediately ion experiencing success. St Mary's seems to want to skip that step of takin 2 for 1 series.

I think that is probably their biggest problem. They don't like those road games, especially against anyone tough.

bballbeachbum
03-14-2013, 04:46 PM
There is probably a lot of truth in Randy's flattery, but you have to consider that he is now lobbying for an at-large bid. SMC's inability to beat GU even once this year is a major pain point. Even if RB thought GU wasn't the best team, or one of the best, you'd never hear that come out of his mouth. Not with the implications for his own bid in the balance.

you win again

Bennett beaten into submission so he has to say this. whatever

I agree with johnmontana