PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck, St Mary's on Sunday

Reborn
03-12-2013, 10:18 AM
I have a lot of respect for St Mary's basketball team, and I just want to wish them good luck on Selection Sunday. I definitely believe that they should make it into the tournament. I thought their victory over Creighton was pretty impressive. Also their victory @ BYU is also an impressive win. And outside of losing to Gonzaga 3 times they did not lose a game to any other team in the WCC. I think that that is pretty impressive also. I'm always pulling for other WCC teams when they play on TV, accept when they play Gonzaga. Anyway. Good luck Sunday.

Crazy
03-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Really weird that they dropped from a team barely in the top 25(i believe they ended on Position 26 of the AP poll), to a team barely in the mix.

And when i look at there schedule i can understand the arguments, since some other bubble teams also have good records.

I hope they get the chanche to participate in the madness, and when they get it i am pretty sure they won't disappoint BUT i hope they rethink there OOC scheduling.

McZag
03-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Nice job Reborn.

We definitely want to see SMC included Sunday, possibly a 8-9 seed.

I wish a speedy recovery fo Page too. If his is near 100% by Sunday, it will help their chances. Is there an update on his status?

jim77
03-12-2013, 11:14 AM
I have a lot of respect for St Mary's basketball team, and I just want to wish them good luck on Selection Sunday. I definitely believe that they should make it into the tournament. I thought their victory over Creighton was pretty impressive. Also their victory @ BYU is also an impressive win. And outside of losing to Gonzaga 3 times they did not lose a game to any other team in the WCC. I think that that is pretty impressive also. I'm always pulling for other WCC teams when they play on TV, accept when they play Gonzaga. Anyway. Good luck Sunday.

Well said.

Saxon_zag
03-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Yeah I have this feeling that they are NIT bound, but idk. Sort of hope they are, they could maybe win 1 game in the tourney but maybe an NIT trip would let RB know the scheduling has go to get better. SEriously I think SMC is good, but if we lost to them last night it would have hurt us wayyyyy more than it should considering how good they are. In the same way it makes beating them less of an accomplishment as well, to the national media at least.

GO PLAY SOMEONE NEXT YEAR RB

hooter73
03-12-2013, 11:38 AM
For the WCCs sake I hope they get in but i just dont know how. Creighton, ok. Lose three times to the #1 in the Country.... well that isnt the worst thing in the world. Winning BYU with a circus shot, a win's a win i guess but what else can they actually offer? I honestly don t see how they are even in the mix for the top 25. But Yes I will root for them on Sunday and hope they go in and kick some butt. Delly deserves another shot in the big dance if nothing else.

BULLDOG#1
03-12-2013, 11:42 AM
They looked really bad in the wcc tourney, without a great shot from Delly they wouldn't have advanced past SD. Then the zags worked them good -- and on national tv... not sure how much the committee looks at that stuff, but it seems like there'd be more of a buzz about SMC if they had taken the zags to the wire.

The combination of:
- terrible OOC
- fluke shot to win at BYU
- brutal call/questionable win vs Harvard
- looming sanctions
- two losses to sub-100 RPI teams
- inability to take at least one from the zags

should keep them from the tourney.

Delly is a great player and it would be fun to watch him in the tourney, AND I have a ton of respect for the players -- Waldow proved that he's more than just a sidekick to Delly. Holt is rock solid, etc...

but I don't think they've earned a trip to the tourney. Blame it not on the players but the administration. Scheduling cupcakes to bump win totals and then swing for the fences with a victory over the zags is just bad management. The win totals, RPI, and somewhat name recognition might put them in the field, but I hope not. Rewarding that type of scheduling will only ensure Bennett keeps doing it. I don't think they deserve to dance.

NotoriousZ
03-12-2013, 12:55 PM
How big was that win over Creighton? We will find out on Sunday. Good luck, Gaels! I'd love to see Delly and Co. stick it to one of those blue blood teams.

Hoopaholic
03-12-2013, 01:11 PM
I think coach Bennett knew he was in trouble with the beating his team was handed on national tv...here's why...down 18 with 2 minutes to go we substitute wholesale, rb doesn't instead continues to press and shoot here balls with all his starters hoping to make the score respectfull....vs allowing the huge crowd opportunity to hank delly for 4 fine years of which I am sure great majority of those present would have done so

Has couple bad losses and a creighton win, looking bad last two games of season and a key starter possibly not returning from injury.....couple upsets and they are outside looking in

kclubfounder
03-12-2013, 01:27 PM
I believe they should be in, but if they aren't there is one big reason.

Scheduling.

What a STUPID way to keep yourself out of The Dance.

MBAGael
03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the wishes on Sunday! From this morning:

From Lunardi's Chat this morning:

"Sanders (CA)

What % chance do you give St Marys to make NCAA tourney?
Joe Lunardi (2:25 PM)

Ninety percent."

RRZagFan
03-12-2013, 01:45 PM
In previous years when St Mary's was nervous about selection Sunday they scheduled another game between WCC final and that Sunday. I wonder if that's possible this year?

maineblackbear
03-12-2013, 01:49 PM
one of the things that helps Gaels is that the WCC is the tenth ranked conference. I do not know who are the eleventh and 12th conferences, but if they are getting two in, St. Mary's bloody well better get in.

Go Gaels! (LOL, that felt weird, but I do like their players)

MBAGael
03-12-2013, 01:49 PM
RR,

But didn't you all take Longwood from our schedule?!?

Kiddwell
03-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Thinking positive: The Gaels get in with Room to Spare! :adored:

:]

HillBillyZag
03-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Go Gaels. Hope you get an invitation to dance and walk all over some BCS Bully.

MickMick
03-12-2013, 02:27 PM
It is in GU's best interest that St. Marys not only gets in, but leaves a mark.

The Gaels can beat a lot of teams. Now it is time to start playing them.

Hoopaholic
03-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Why is it in the best interest of this years gonzaga team to have SMc in the dance? What's best for our beloved zags is controlled by our zags as of last night...win each game the face now that they are in the tournament having SMc in dies nothing for this years team that I can think of

MickMick
03-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Why is it in the best interest of this years gonzaga team to have SMc in the dance? What's best for our beloved zags is controlled by our zags as of last night...win each game the face now that they are in the tournament having SMc in dies nothing for this years team that I can think of

1) Money

2) Perception

3) Competition breeds excellence. SMC does well, SMC remains competitive.

Hoopaholic
03-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Money...yea I can see that.......

Not sure perception will change by having another wcc team in unless hey do some damage and I personally don't see that happening with this team. If they got in and got blown out couldn't it fuel the negative perception?

SMc going have issues after the sanctions given to them so not sure how getting a game n the big dance would equate to competitiveness next year and beyond

Robzagnut
03-12-2013, 03:49 PM

What if SMC beats teams like Michigan St and Tennessee to get to the Sweet 16 with GU? Big 10 and SEC fans would have to be thinking, "Wow they got beat by GU three times. GU must be pretty good and deserves that #1 seed."

Hoopaholic
03-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Agree. But honestly do not think the current SMc can do that....especially if page is done for the year

kclubfounder
03-12-2013, 03:54 PM
1) Money

2) Perception

3) Competition breeds excellence. SMC does well, SMC remains competitive.

:agreed:

That is why I am SO frustrated that the rest of the WCC can't step it up - at least a bit.

Recruiting MUST be easier by having America's team in your flipping conference.

We need our conference brethren to GET FLIPPING BETTER!!!!!!

Or I may have to embrace the unthinkable - leaving them.

HOOTER
03-12-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm rooting for them from here on out, unless they happen to meet the Zags in the tourney, in which case I will be buying a lottery ticket and hiding in the basement during thunder storms. I'd be inclined to guess a double digit seed for them.

bartruff1
03-12-2013, 04:47 PM
How big was that win over Creighton? We will find out on Sunday. Good luck, Gaels! I'd love to see Delly and Co. stick it to one of those blue blood teams.

Good enough

jim77
03-12-2013, 05:59 PM
The Gaels didn't get lucky against Creighton...they were the better team. I also seem to remember us putting a bigger beating on KSU....we did beat the Gaels 3 times...once barely...the 2nd was closer than the score....last night...nevermind. Its no shame losing to the #1 team in the country 3 times....the Gaels are capable of beating more than a few teams...especially if Delly is hot. Hope Delly and the Gaels get a shot at it....and take down some big dogs.

Mantua
03-12-2013, 07:47 PM
The Gaels didn't get lucky against Creighton...they were the better team. I also seem to remember us putting a bigger beating on KSU....we did beat the Gaels 3 times...once barely...the 2nd was closer than the score....last night...nevermind. Its no shame losing to the #1 team in the country 3 times....the Gaels are capable of beating more than a few teams...especially if Delly is hot. Hope Delly and the Gaels get a shot at it....and take down some big dogs.

You can never lose sight of the east coast bias against every western conference except the PAC 12.

I enjoy watching the Gaels play and recently USD. I hope Delly has a great career. Maybe an ad campaign showcasing the enticing California campuses would help build some of these programs. A lot of kids from the east have no idea about the quality if life in the west.

DixieZag
03-12-2013, 08:24 PM
I hope that SMC gets in also for the reasons MickMick stated. They did go undefeated in conference with GU games taken out which we always say is tough to do.

UCLA gets crushed in Pullman and no one says boo - but SMC goes undefeated in conference without a similar loss and no one says boo.