PDA

View Full Version : 31-2

Mantua
03-11-2013, 11:45 PM
No one can beat that before the dance begins.

Great going Zags!

roxdoc
03-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Even more interesting: regardless of what happens from here on out no one in D-! will have fewer losses than The Zags.

Lets hope that we can have the most wins too!

rawkmandale
03-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Even more interesting: regardless of what happens from here on out no one in D-! will have fewer losses than The Zags.

Lets hope that we can have the most wins too!

We should have coffee soon.

caduceus
03-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Still pinching myself. Is this real? Best record in college basketball. Undefeated in conference. Number 1 rank in the whole damn country. Likely number 1 seed in the tourney.

This is our year. We're gonna go to Salt Lake and lay smack on a 16 and and 8/9. Then we're going to L.A. and put a beat down some BCS teams. Then we're gonna go to Atlanta and smash Indiana and Duke in the mouth. We're gonna take the whole pie and watch Seth Davis and Jay Bilas and the other Duke apologists reeling over backwards from the Gonzaga steamroller that's about to hit college basketball. Book it, Danno! :p

rawkmandale
03-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Still pinching myself. Is this real? Best record in college basketball. Undefeated in conference. Number 1 rank in the whole damn country. Likely number 1 seed in the tourney.

This is our year. We're gonna go to Salt Lake and lay smack on a 16 and and 8/9. Then we're going to L.A. and put a beat down some BCS teams. Then we're gonna go to Atlanta and smash Indiana and Duke in the mouth. We're gonna take the whole pie and watch Seth Davis and Jay Bilas and the other Duke apologists reeling over backwards from the Gonzaga steamroller that's about to hit college basketball. Book it, Danno! :p

Right - right - that's all after "one game at a time," right? There might be some underrated smaller conference teams getting in the way of those BCS boys, and posing a threat to us. I would not be surprised if NEITHER Indiana or Duke make the Final Four.

caduceus
03-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Right - right - that's all after "one game at a time," right? There might be some underrated smaller conference teams getting in the way of those BCS boys, and posing a threat to us. I would not be surprised if NEITHER Indiana or Duke make the Final Four.

You're probably right, but I'm enjoying this victory, and that's what the bubbles in my beer are telling me at the moment. :cheers: :D

Cheers.

CDC84
03-12-2013, 12:25 AM
The more impressive stat for me is that Gonzaga is now 16-1 on road or neutral floors (at least from what I can tell). Yes, tonight's game was hardly a neutral floor win, but it also wasn't K2. There have been plenty of true road game and true neutral environments.

caduceus
03-12-2013, 12:28 AM
The more impressive stat for me is that Gonzaga is now 16-1 on road or neutral floors (at least from what I can tell). Yes, tonight's game was hardly a neutral floor win, but it also wasn't K2. There have been plenty of true road game and true neutral environments.

Indeed:

NCAA BB Team Away Power Rating (http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/away-power-ranking-by-team)

NCAA BB Team Neutral Power Rating (http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/neutral-power-ranking-by-team)

rawkmandale
03-12-2013, 02:45 AM
You're probably right, but I'm enjoying this victory, and that's what the bubbles in my beer are telling me at the moment. :cheers: :D

Cheers.

Cheers back atcha - Go Zags!

rennis
03-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Even scarier is that they are one errant pass/lucky shot away from being 32-1.

And if Mike Hart had played 30 minutes of defense on Brandon Paul, they'd be 33-0.

:cheers:

Hoopaholic
03-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Agree on the closeness of 32-1. But not sure anyone could have stopped Paul as he was simply in a filthy zone bu hart would have reduced the damage increasing our chance for a win...the bigger issue from my perspective on Illinois was our hi low game was not clicking and our team defense was not where we re today

Ready for the big dance

CDC84
03-12-2013, 10:00 AM
I still contend that what really hurt Gonzaga in the Illinois loss wasn't Brandon Paul. It was the fact that they couldn't deal with DJ Richardson, AJ Abrams and especially Joseph Bertrand as well. The Illini are the only team GU has played this season that featured four big, athletic, quick guards and wing players. I think what can get GU in trouble is when they face a team with multiple guys. They can absorb one guy going off on them so long as they shut everyone else off.

I think it ultimately comes down to how much Gonzaga has to cover for Kevin Pangos on the defensive end. Does the opposing team have enough quality perimeters to where Kevin has to fend for himself against someone who can exploit him? For example, Louisville with Peyton Siva and Russ Smith.

That being said, GU's team defense is so much better now than when they played the Illini.

Hoopaholic
03-12-2013, 10:04 AM
I think you are selling pango defense well short in my opinion

former1dog
03-12-2013, 10:05 AM
I think you are selling Pangos' defense well short in my opinion

Fixed that for you and +1.

Pangos isn't necessarily consistent on the defensive end, but he has shown me (us) enough times this season that he is very capable of very good (just shy of great) defense.

CDC84
03-12-2013, 10:06 AM
You seriously think Kevin could defensively deal with Peyton Siva or Russ Smith?? Pitino would ISO him all game until he forced GU into a zone, which might be a good idea anyway since Louisville is hot and cold from 3.

former1dog
03-12-2013, 10:08 AM
You seriously think Kevin could defensively deal with Peyton Siva or Russ Smith?? Pitino would ISO him all game until he forced GU into a zone, which might be a good idea anyway since Louisville is hot and cold from 3.

He could hold his own. With that said, with the options GU has, would he be given that assignment? Hart and Bell are obviously superior defenders to Pangos, right?

Sarenyon
03-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Agree, KP has improved his capability on defense through the season. He was, due to switches, even on Delly sometimes last night and did a great job. Still let Holt slip a few too many times though. But he has improved through the season, A lot.

Also, against the Illini, GBJ was still suffering from the mystery injury (ab strain?) and just wasn't defending as well as he is capable of.

Team is much better now on D. than in the early season, and it shows.

Reborn
03-12-2013, 10:10 AM
That being said, GU's team defense is so much better now than when they played the Illini.

The best thing that happened to GU this year was losing to Illinois. Our switching defense on screens was just pathetic. Illinois guards also penetrated at will. Without that loss, I doubt if Gonzaga would have committed to playing the tough defense that they are now playing. It's hard to imagine that GU could shut down a great offensive team like St Mary's the way they did last night. IMO Delly is a better guard than Paul is. Way better. Paul did not play the way he did against GU the rest of the year.

The Butler loss was also an important game. That loss hurt alot, and I loved how Elias stood up for his younger brother, David Stockton. To me this is the point of the the season that the team became a "band of brothers."

TacomaZAG
03-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Amazing, simply amazing........

The defense will be OK, whether or not Kevin is a bad, good, or great defender. The thing that really sticks out to me regarding both the Illinois loss and the overall team inprovement during the last couple of months is TURNOVERS. We had something like 19 against the Illini and I think we are averaging about 10-11 the last few months. KP deserves huge kudos for that, as does Stocks and the rest of the guys.

Take care of the ball and we will be fine. If we can keep each games TO's to fewer than 12, I like our chances against anyone, including anyone with big/athletic guards.

March Madness..........bring it.

Go ZAGS

MickMick
03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
The Siva argument doesn't work for me. GU will have trouble with quick guards that can dribble, but Siva isn't one of them.

Pierre Jackson of Baylor is the type of guard I fear.

When Louisville loses in post season, it will be because of Siva. The most over rated player in college basketball.

Hoopaholic
03-12-2013, 10:24 AM
He is asked to do other things on the defensive end, but if asked to defend dribble drive he is just fine doing so.....many times he is not asked to do so and is provided other roles within the team defensive concept

CDC84
03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
He could hold his own. With that said, with the options GU has, would he be given that assignment? Hart and Bell are obviously superior defenders to Pangos, right?

Are you going to stick Pangos on a 6-6 wing player then?

And then what happens when Gonzaga brings out that 3 guard thing with Stockton, Pangos and Bell? That's GU's best offensive lineup, but its worst defensive lineup against some teams.

Look, every team in this tournament has weaknesses. Indiana, Duke, all of them.

It's not just about Gonzaga's defense. It's also about how they handle defensive ball pressure. Pangos, Bell and Stocks still look uncomfortable to me when someone really gets in their grill. But again, the WCC has so few guards who can do this.

The fact remains that GU has not faced a team quite like Illinois since, well, Illinois. A team that can put out multiple guys. Oklahoma State was just two guys. Pangos and Stocks are going to have no problem handling Brady Heslip and Phil Forte.

Hoopaholic
03-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Three guard lineup against tall athletic teams may be on the shelf..

mgadfly
03-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I fear Siva. Not because of what he does on offense (he can't shoot, so we can sag off of him and keep him in front), but because of what he does on defense.

There are different ways to try to stop a team that likes to pound the ball inside to its bigs. We have faced a lot of teams that have tried playing off the guards and sagging into the key to help and/or doubling down on the posts once the ball has been entered. The extreme case of this was at BYU where we took (I believe) a season high 30 three pointers.

The other way to try to prevent a team from getting the ball into the post is to extend the defense and harass the guards so they concentrate on their defender and lose vision of open teammates. Louisville ups the pressure, extends, traps, and cuts down passing lanes. A lot of it is because of what type of pressure Siva, Smith, Behanan, and Ware can put on the other team.

Can we feed the post in those conditions? Maybe, but I don't know because I haven't really seen someone with that style against this year's Zags. Am I forgetting someone?

rennis
03-12-2013, 12:12 PM
The fact remains that GU has not faced a team quite like Illinois since, well, Illinois.

Very, very true. Which is why so many of the other top seeded teams scare me less than the teams that are going to fall on the 7-10 line. There are a bevy of teams projected on those seed lines with some incredible athletic guards.

The 2nd round matchup is going to be harder than any S16 matchup GU will face, mark my words. If the Zags can survive the first weekend, they are going at least to the Elite 8.

jim77
03-12-2013, 12:33 PM
If we run into an atheltically superior team...we zone them. Simple as that. I've said this many times...there are a bunch of teams who don't know how to deal with the zone. It also protects our bigs from fouls.

tobizag
03-13-2013, 06:24 AM
Memphis held the record for most wins in a season at 38 but that 2008 season was vacated. should gonzaga go all the way, the record will be ours alone.

jazzdelmar
03-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Memphis held the record for most wins in a season at 38 but that 2008 season was vacated. should gonzaga go all the way, the record will be ours alone.

right. now its

Duke [2] (1986 (37-3)), UNLV 1987 (37-2), Duke [2] 1999 (37-2), Illinois [12] 2005 (37-2) and Kansas[1] (2008 (37-3))