PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News All American Team: Olynyk Makes First Team

CDC84
03-11-2013, 11:42 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-03-11/sporting-news-all-americans-burke-oladipo-olnyk-porter-smart-curry-mcdermott/

First team:

Trey Burke, Michigan
Victor Oladipo, Indiana
Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga
Otto Porter, Georgetown
Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State

Second team:

Jeff Withey, Kansas
Deshaun Thomas, Ohio State
Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA
Doug McDermott, Creighton
Seth Curry, Duke

Third team:

Russ Smith, Louisville
Cody Zeller, Indiana
Ben McLemore, Kansas
Allen Crabbe, Cal
Shane Larkin, Miami

On Kelly:

The Gonzaga big man is, without a doubt, the most improved player in the country. He was mostly a role player his first two seasons at Gonzaga, then redshirted in what would have been his junior season. Olynyk used that time away from game action wisely; he came back a much more polished, confident player this season. The 7-footer has posted an amazing 126.1 offensive efficiency rating this season while being a focal point in the Gonzaga offense. As a point of reference, since statistician Ken Pomeroy started keeping track of such things in the 2005 season, only two players in the country have exceeded that number as a high-usage player—Marquette’s Travis Diener and Utah State’s Spencer Nelson back in 2005.

The number that really counts: 69.3 percent. Don’t be fooled into thinking Olynyk padded his gaudy numbers against weaker West Coast Conference competition. In his seven games against teams from the six “power” conferences—Oklahoma, Clemson, Washington State, Illinois, Kansas State, Baylor and Oklahoma State—Olynyk made 52 of his 75 field-goal attempts, a stunning 69.3 percent. He averaged 17.3 points and 6.0 rebounds in those seven games, despite playing just 24.3 minutes in those contests. And the Bulldogs went 6-1 against those seven foes, losing only against a then-undefeated Illinois squad.

What the numbers don’t tell you: Olynyk makes the Gonzaga offense flow. He can’t really be guarded one-on-one, but there aren’t any appetizing double-team options for opposing teams. Olynyk is an excellent passer for a big man, and fellow big men Elias Harris or Sam Dower are both shooting better than 50 percent from the field; they can’t be left alone. The opposing guards can’t sag down to double because Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell, Jr., are both outstanding shooters from beyond the arc.

23dpg
03-11-2013, 11:49 AM
The only player I have an issue with is Shabazz. He is a me first guy and he really hasn't played that well this season. He's been OK but no way is he an All American.

rijman
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Congrats to KO. Finishing ahead of Zeller, Plumlee and Withey, who would have guessed that when the season started.

gamagin
03-11-2013, 12:01 PM
good post

exclusivelee
03-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Wow, I dunno how they could leave out Mason Plumlee

NumberCruncher
03-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Congrats to KO. Finishing ahead of Zeller, Plumlee and Withey, who would have guessed that when the season started.

This. Back then, there were articles about the Zags that didn't even mention his name. Such a great story.

hooter73
03-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Awesome and great for KO!

Totally agree about Shabazz, seems more hype than production to me too.

jazzdelmar
03-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Congrats to KO. Wonderful achievement. Work pays.

Shabazz is a joke. A me first, one and done mercenary. But that has never disqualified anyone before. Perfect for the NBA where there are 3-4 Shabazzas on every team.

Aaron Craft deserved a mention, I thought. Better than Smith.

Shocked, shocked I tell you that Sir Ryan Kelly wasn't byed right on to the first team.

TacomaZAG
03-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Great for KO, great for the ZAGS........

Go ZAGS

GUinSTL
03-11-2013, 12:53 PM
It's a good day to be a ZAG.
~B

Bogozags
03-11-2013, 01:09 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-03-11/sporting-news-all-americans-burke-oladipo-olnyk-porter-smart-curry-mcdermott/

First team:

Trey Burke, Michigan
Victor Oladipo, Indiana
Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga
Otto Porter, Georgetown
Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State

Second team:

Jeff Withey, Kansas
Deshaun Thomas, Ohio State
Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA
Doug McDermott, Creighton
Seth Curry, Duke

Third team:

Russ Smith, Louisville
Cody Zeller, Indiana
Ben McLemore, Kansas
Allen Crabbe, Cal
Shane Larkin, Miami

On Kelly:

I think KO deserves every accolade available. I can't believe Cody Zeller was placed on the 3rd team he should be either 1st or 2nd team.

If I were picking the team, my first team would be: KO, Oladipo, Burke, Zeller and McLemore.

CDC84
03-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Simply put: if UCLA doesn't have Shabaaz, they don't make the NCAA's or NIT. He rescued them from chaos. He's pretty much the reason they won the Pac 12 title outright.

The guy is averaging 18.3 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 45% FG, 42% 3PT. That's not only playing, but playing very well. Especially the 42% 3PT stat. He came in with a reputation for not being a jumpshooter.

I think he is very well deserving of being a 2nd teamer, regardless of whether he is one and done.

cjm720
03-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Proud of you, Kelly! Congrats!!

billyberu
03-11-2013, 01:54 PM
The number that really counts: 69.3 percent. Don’t be fooled into thinking Olynyk padded his gaudy numbers against weaker West Coast Conference competition. In his seven games against teams from the six “power” conferences—Oklahoma, Clemson, Washington State, Illinois, Kansas State, Baylor and Oklahoma State—Olynyk made 52 of his 75 field-goal attempts, a stunning 69.3 percent. He averaged 17.3 points and 6.0 rebounds in those seven games, despite playing just 24.3 minutes in those contests. And the Bulldogs went 6-1 against those seven foes, losing only against a then-undefeated Illinois squad.
What the numbers don’t tell you: Olynyk makes the Gonzaga offense flow. He can’t really be guarded one-on-one, but there aren’t any appetizing double-team options for opposing teams. Olynyk is an excellent passer for a big man, and fellow big men Elias Harris or Sam Dower are both shooting better than 50 percent from the field; they can’t be left alone. The opposing guards can’t sag down to double because Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell, Jr., are both outstanding shooters from beyond the arc.

This can't be emphasized enough when comparing what Kelly has accomplished to what those have from what are considered to be better conferences. Good is good no matter what conference you're from.

Can't wait for the tourney!

sittingon50
03-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Great job, Kelly.

Congratulations.

MickMick
03-11-2013, 03:19 PM
To those that have claimed all along that Plumlee, Withey, and Zeller were better.

I'm talking about those of you on GUBoards.

Take that!

rijman
03-11-2013, 03:28 PM
To those that have claimed all along that Plumlee, Withey, and Zeller were better.

I'm talking about those of you on GUBoards.

Take that!
I'll give you credit, I remember you being one of the first on the GU Boards to take the unwaivering stance that KO was best big man in college ball, back when Zeller and Plumlee were still ahead of him in AA and POY talk.

rennis
03-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Congratulations KO!!

KStyles
03-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Nice! Hopefully he'll end up on the AP's first team as well.

Blitzing-Zag
03-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Congrats Kelly!

Reborn
03-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Congrats Kelly Olynyk. Just Awesome!!! Congrats also to the team who really knows how to get him the ball in the posts.

I wonder what all those Dukies are thinking about Gonzaga tonight? Can you imagine Plumlee not being on even the 3rd team? But I have to agree. He played pretty badly in all of their losses.

NotoriousZ
03-13-2013, 07:35 PM
The Klynyk >>> McDermott, Zeller, and Chumlee

sittingon50
03-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Did KO get some one on one action with Chumlee while in Vegas?

hockeyzag
03-13-2013, 09:15 PM
It's a good day to be a ZAG.
~B

Just what I was thinking, it's a great day to be a Zag!

GrizZAG
03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
So since KO made 1st Team All-American, does that mean that he was really a 10 Star Recruit? I think so.

How lucky we are. Congrats KO to a huge future!

MickMick
03-13-2013, 09:27 PM
So since KO made 1st Team All-American, does that mean that he was really a 10 Star Recruit? I think so.

How lucky we are. Congrats KO to a huge future!

What is more important?

NBA career or five stars? (to the player)

All American or five stars?

Raw product or finished product?

I believe you answered that ;)

Good post.