Seth Curry, Duke

Third team:

Russ Smith, Louisville
    Cody Zeller, Indiana
    Ben McLemore, Kansas
    Allen Crabbe, Cal
    Shane Larkin, Miami

On Kelly:

The Gonzaga big man is, without a doubt, the most improved player in the country. He was mostly a role player his first two seasons at Gonzaga, then redshirted in what would have been his junior season. Olynyk used that time away from game action wisely; he came back a much more polished, confident player this season. The 7-footer has posted an amazing 126.1 offensive efficiency rating this season while being a focal point in the Gonzaga offense. As a point of reference, since statistician Ken Pomeroy started keeping track of such things in the 2005 season, only two players in the country have exceeded that number as a high-usage player—Marquette’s Travis Diener and Utah State’s Spencer Nelson back in 2005.

The number that really counts: 69.3 percent. Don’t be fooled into thinking Olynyk padded his gaudy numbers against weaker West Coast Conference competition. In his seven games against teams from the six “power” conferences—Oklahoma, Clemson, Washington State, Illinois, Kansas State, Baylor and Oklahoma State—Olynyk made 52 of his 75 field-goal attempts, a stunning 69.3 percent. He averaged 17.3 points and 6.0 rebounds in those seven games, despite playing just 24.3 minutes in those contests. And the Bulldogs went 6-1 against those seven foes, losing only against a then-undefeated Illinois squad.

What the numbers don’t tell you: Olynyk makes the Gonzaga offense flow. He can’t really be guarded one-on-one, but there aren’t any appetizing double-team options for opposing teams. Olynyk is an excellent passer for a big man, and fellow big men Elias Harris or Sam Dower are both shooting better than 50 percent from the field; they can’t be left alone. The opposing guards can’t sag down to double because Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell, Jr., are both outstanding shooters from beyond the arc.
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Good for Kelly

The only player I have an issue with is Shabazz. He is a me first guy and he really hasn't played that well this season. He's been OK but no way is he an All American.
    Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• rijman
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2009

Congrats to KO. Finishing ahead of Zeller, Plumlee and Withey, who would have guessed that when the season started.
      It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

tnx CDC

good post
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• exclusivelee
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2013

Wow, I dunno how they could leave out Mason Plumlee

Comment

• NumberCruncher
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by rijman View Post
            Congrats to KO. Finishing ahead of Zeller, Plumlee and Withey, who would have guessed that when the season started.
            This. Back then, there were articles about the Zags that didn't even mention his name. Such a great story.

Comment

• hooter73
              Zag for Life
              • Jun 2008

Awesome and great for KO!

Totally agree about Shabazz, seems more hype than production to me too.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Congrats to KO. Wonderful achievement. Work pays.

Shabazz is a joke. A me first, one and done mercenary. But that has never disqualified anyone before. Perfect for the NBA where there are 3-4 Shabazzas on every team.

Aaron Craft deserved a mention, I thought. Better than Smith.

Shocked, shocked I tell you that Sir Ryan Kelly wasn't byed right on to the first team.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

Huge honor.......

Great for KO, great for the ZAGS........

Go ZAGS

Comment

• GUinSTL
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

It's a good day to be a ZAG.
                    ~B

Comment

• Bogozags
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                      http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...rry-mcdermott/

First team:

Trey Burke, Michigan
                      Victor Oladipo, Indiana
                      Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga
                      Otto Porter, Georgetown
                      Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State

Second team:

Jeff Withey, Kansas
                      Deshaun Thomas, Ohio State
                      Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA
                      Doug McDermott, Creighton
                      Seth Curry, Duke

Third team:

Russ Smith, Louisville
                      Cody Zeller, Indiana
                      Ben McLemore, Kansas
                      Allen Crabbe, Cal
                      Shane Larkin, Miami

On Kelly:

I think KO deserves every accolade available. I can't believe Cody Zeller was placed on the 3rd team he should be either 1st or 2nd team.

If I were picking the team, my first team would be: KO, Oladipo, Burke, Zeller and McLemore.

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Simply put: if UCLA doesn't have Shabaaz, they don't make the NCAA's or NIT. He rescued them from chaos. He's pretty much the reason they won the Pac 12 title outright.

The guy is averaging 18.3 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 45% FG, 42% 3PT. That's not only playing, but playing very well. Especially the 42% 3PT stat. He came in with a reputation for not being a jumpshooter.

I think he is very well deserving of being a 2nd teamer, regardless of whether he is one and done.

Comment

• cjm720
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Proud of you, Kelly! Congrats!!
                          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• billyberu
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Feb 2007

The number that really counts: 69.3 percent. Don’t be fooled into thinking Olynyk padded his gaudy numbers against weaker West Coast Conference competition. In his seven games against teams from the six “power” conferences—Oklahoma, Clemson, Washington State, Illinois, Kansas State, Baylor and Oklahoma State—Olynyk made 52 of his 75 field-goal attempts, a stunning 69.3 percent. He averaged 17.3 points and 6.0 rebounds in those seven games, despite playing just 24.3 minutes in those contests. And the Bulldogs went 6-1 against those seven foes, losing only against a then-undefeated Illinois squad.
                            What the numbers don’t tell you: Olynyk makes the Gonzaga offense flow. He can’t really be guarded one-on-one, but there aren’t any appetizing double-team options for opposing teams. Olynyk is an excellent passer for a big man, and fellow big men Elias Harris or Sam Dower are both shooting better than 50 percent from the field; they can’t be left alone. The opposing guards can’t sag down to double because Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell, Jr., are both outstanding shooters from beyond the arc.
                            This can't be emphasized enough when comparing what Kelly has accomplished to what those have from what are considered to be better conferences. Good is good no matter what conference you're from.

Can't wait for the tourney!
                            There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                            Surfmonkey89

Comment

• sittingon50
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Great job, Kelly.

Congratulations.
                              But we don't play nobody.

Comment

Working...
                              X