PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dish or Comcast?

TheZagPhish
08-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Okay y'all, I bought a HD TV today and surprise! I now have to buy a whole bunch of other stuff too! Mrs. TheZagPhish will be so pleased.

The real matter is Comcast or Dish. Now I know in general Dish is probably a little better for providing HD content and so on, but it's the games that matter to me. Right now with Comcast I get pretty much every game. Does anyone know if Dish offers the same requisite lineup? Can you share your thoughts, please?

(Hey, it's my first Foo post - and that sounds filthy!)

RenoZag
08-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Phish:

I moved your question to the hoops forum in hopes you would get more responses to your hoops (viewing ) query. . .

Congrats on the gear !

drnoe
08-11-2007, 05:28 PM
I live in the LA area and Dish offers virtually every game if I subscribe to the expanded Fox sports package ($5/mo.) so that I can get Fox Northwest. Good thing the Zags are a top-tier program because their games are televised more often on ESPN than any of the PAC-10 teams. Down here, the PAC-10 is known as the Versus conference (football).

Angelo Roncalli
08-11-2007, 05:46 PM
If you go with Dish TV or Direct TV, get the HD dish and receiver. You'll have to make sure you have adequate southern exposure for the additional satellites.

Rubbadub
09-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Okay y'all, I bought a HD TV today and surprise! I now have to buy a whole bunch of other stuff too! Mrs. TheZagPhish will be so pleased.

The real matter is Comcast or Dish. Now I know in general Dish is probably a little better for providing HD content and so on, but it's the games that matter to me. Right now with Comcast I get pretty much every game. Does anyone know if Dish offers the same requisite lineup? Can you share your thoughts, please?

HD TV is ridiculous with making you have to buy hd cords and other random extra things. Sorry, just bought it and it's gotten me angry.

Rubbadub
09-30-2007, 12:50 AM
hopefully its worth it once basketball season rolls around :)

ZAGduck
09-30-2007, 06:04 AM
DISH has Fox Sports NW HD, which I don't think Comcast carries. Not all programming on FSNW is in HD, but for the games that are it's great.

john montana
09-30-2007, 07:15 AM
I am not a big fan of comcast, but that is what we have. To go to a dish and get a DVR that can record HD programming you have to pay around $300 for the DVR. comcast provides a DVR that can record two channels (in HD) for free, so that is why we still use comcast. the DVR is not nearly as nice as our old tivo, but it gets the job done. as far as games, i live in pdx and nearly every game is televised.

if you can find a dvr through a satellite company that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, and still records HD programming i'd go that route. comcast customer service is terrible.

Spike94
09-30-2007, 08:04 AM
I live in Sacramento and have Comcast. Comcast offers Fox College Sports in theiir sports upgrade and last year I got just about every game. I think one I missed. I like that as was mentioned above I get a 2 tuner dvr in HD for a few xtra bucks a month which you would pay for as well at the dish or direct tv. I actually did a comparison of all the companies and to get what I get the price was within a couple bucks of each other. And when you factor in the High Speed internet, comcast is the best bet. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

BobZag
09-30-2007, 08:59 AM

I'm switching to the Dish Network in about a month. It's far superior to Comcast. The Top 250 plan fits me best. Dish has a great HD deal going now, too.

hondo46
09-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Many of you probably know this already but here goes. When using a DVR be sure to place it where it will not trap heat the DVR or other component produces. That's a good idea for all electronics but the hard drives in DVRs often are not fan cooled and heat kills them. For this reason I now rent my DVR, it's much cheaper than buying a new one every 2 or 3 years. Also I have not enclosed this last DVR.

Oregon Zag
09-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Good tip, Hondo. I'm doing some shopping around right now for a DVR. (Thanks for the tips, ZS) I want to tape the Zags games on DVDs. It may be that I need to just get one from Dish for awhile until all the HD stuff gets more widespread. Consumer Reports has an article about it. I have lots to learn...

TheZagPhish
09-30-2007, 01:11 PM
I now have the HD TV and new audio equipment. Also got Dish and am incredibly happy with it! The colors are much more brilliant, even on standard TV, and the sound is terrific. ESPNU is a huge added bonus. :)

roxdoc
09-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Ah ha - someone finally talks about a big issue between Comcast and Dish for this season at least ESPNU which Comcast does not carry. I am told there are quite a few GU games on ESPNU this year.....so if you are choosing...

ZAGduck
09-30-2007, 04:17 PM
... I want to tape the Zags games on DVDs. It may be that I need to just get one from Dish for awhile until all the HD stuff gets more widespread. ...

This reminds me of another advantage of DISH: The HD-DVR receivers (622, 722) have a new feature recently enabled with a firmware update - the ability to transfer recorded programming to an external USB hard drive (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dish_hd/external_hd/index.shtml).
With virtually unlimited ability to archive, it makes the year ot two wait for affordable HD or Bluray DVD recording more bearable!