PDA

View Full Version : Drew

MTZag03
03-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Anyone have any idea why Drew Barham barely saw any playing time last night? I kept thinking he could help exploit the defense they were throwing at us in the 1st half, but I am not an Xs and Os guy. Was I wrong on that line of thinking? Anyway, I hope he's not ill as I'd hate to not be full strength Monday night.

Mantua
03-10-2013, 01:01 PM
I agree. We need for Barham to be comfortable going forward.

jazzdelmar
03-10-2013, 01:41 PM
I agree. We need for Barham to be comfortable going forward.

drew looks far from comfy. passed on a few good shots last nt. seems puzzled on the court. dunno, maybe he has a fragile ego.....

dazags
03-10-2013, 01:52 PM
My guess, we'll see more Drew & Kyle Monday night.

MickMick
03-10-2013, 01:57 PM
I fully expect Few to tighten up the rotation from this point forward.

Barring foul trouble, the starters are going to be in there. Dower and Stockton will see their share of time go up as well.

Bogozags
03-10-2013, 02:04 PM
I did see anything out of the ordinary with his play. He passes on shots, which he does almost every game. He had an open shot in the key but passed to SD for an assist.

bartruff1
03-10-2013, 02:12 PM
I fully expect Few to tighten up the rotation from this point forward.

Barring foul trouble, the starters are going to be in there. Dower and Stockton will see their share of time go up as well.

Practice is about over...the best players will play ...they all got a fair shot (IMHO) ...unless there is a lock win or loss late in the game...... The Pole will get some minutes...he is getting to be pretty dependable and even his free throw form is looking much better..he takes his shots and gets on the floor.

maynard g krebs
03-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Last 3 games he has made one of 7 shots, all threes. He hasn't looked smooth or comfortable shooting them, either. Most haven't looked to me like "good" misses. Puzzling, because he was on a roll for several games before that.

He's in there to shoot the 3, and if they're not going in, he's not going to play much.

jazzdelmar
03-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Last 3 games he has made one of 7 shots, all threes. He hasn't looked smooth or comfortable shooting them, either. Most haven't looked to me like "good" misses. Puzzling, because he was on a roll for several games before that.

He's in there to shoot the 3, and if they're not going in, he's not going to play much.

I think Drews sell by date has expired for this season. Unless something unforeseen happens in the NCAA I don't see him getting any more chances to pass up a shot. I would put Dranginis in that cat too. Otoh, I thought Karno looked relatively smooth last night, esp. On that layup and the FTs were Raiovian. Ok that may be an exaggeration for effect.

Bogozags
03-10-2013, 03:00 PM
I think Drews sell by date has expired for this season. Unless something unforeseen happens in the NCAA I don't see him getting any more chances to pass up a shot. I would put Dranginis in that cat too. Otoh, I thought Karno looked relatively smooth last night, esp. On that layup and the FTs were Raiovian. Ok that may be an exaggeration for effect.

I believe he still has time on his clock. If the criteria is about hitting the 3's then he still has time as KD passes on shots more often than DB. Also, IMO DB plays stronger defense, rebounds well and seldom turns the ball over. Think both will be used against SMC as well as in the Tournament.

jazzdelmar
03-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I believe he still has time on his clock. If the criteria is about hitting the 3's then he still has time as KD passes on shots more often than DB. Also, IMO DB plays stronger defense, rebounds well and seldom turns the ball over. Think both will be used against SMC as well as in the Tournament.

Agree DB a better defender now..KD has been a disappointment. But the real question is why do they, and Hart, pass so obviously on good shots?

rawkmandale
03-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Anyone have any idea why Drew Barham barely saw any playing time last night? I kept thinking he could help exploit the defense they were throwing at us in the 1st half, but I am not an Xs and Os guy. Was I wrong on that line of thinking? Anyway, I hope he's not ill as I'd hate to not be full strength Monday night.

Easy answer to this: Mike Hart was flipping awesome last night - even when the rest of the team was struggling

scott257
03-10-2013, 04:05 PM
I love watching Mike Hart play. I hate watching Mike Hart play. He has more guts than any one else on the team. He is a gutless coward.

I get that he isn't playing for his offense, but he passes up more open looks than anyone else on the team. What's worse is he appears to be rubbing off on others. If you want to avoid having teams pack it in on Kelly and Elias, these guys need to grow a pair and take a shot once in a while.

Just my two cents worth.

jazzdelmar
03-10-2013, 04:23 PM
I love watching Mike Hart play. I hate watching Mike Hart play. He has more guts than any one else on the team. He is a gutless coward.

I get that he isn't playing for his offense, but he passes up more open looks than anyone else on the team. What's worse is he appears to be rubbing off on others. If you want to avoid having teams pack it in on Kelly and Elias, these guys need to grow a pair and take a shot once in a while.

Just my two cents worth.

Ouch. Now youre gonna get it, the wrath. But not a bad point, if indelicately put.

MTZag03
03-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Agree that MH is playing awesome, although he won't take a shot. MH also plays with so much intensity that he does need to take a few rest breaks. So Few goes with DS more often than not (no problem with that if the matchups are okay). I just thought that DB had worked himself into the rotation, particularly as a situational player when the offense is struggling. I hope he still gets his opportunities in March because we really might need him. I like a tight rotation, but you need to adjust to what the D gives you.

I'm going to assume MF saw something I didn't (highly likely) and held DB out because he had a plan of attack he wanted to exploit.

OZZY
03-10-2013, 04:55 PM
This might be a stupid suggestion, but perhaps they might have some plays set for DB and rather have them in the bag for a game that they need him...

I guess that brings me to a question, is it likley that a / our team is holding back some plays to surprise teams that have scouted them?

Birddog
03-10-2013, 05:04 PM
LMU was playing an aggressive tight defense and it seems to me barham needs a little better open look than what they were giving. I've thought for a while now that for Drew to feel comfortable he requires just a little more space and and another second before he pulls the trigger. He needs to work on that, but he's still valuable.

Rangerzag
03-10-2013, 06:00 PM
I think DB will get his chances. They may not be for long stretches if he is not successfully putting points on the board. If his shot goes in and he doesn't step on his toes defensively he will extend his stay.

HillBillyZag
03-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Few believes and practices situational substitution. As he had his reasons for playing certain players last night, tomorrow night could be a different animal? I kind of refrain from second guessing Coaches as much as possible?, some make the big bucks and all take the risks for their decisions. I love the the game of basketball and my favorite teams much more than any individual player.

jazzdelmar
03-10-2013, 07:31 PM
i wd rather see DB, MH or even KD hoist them up than this 20 minute a game Zag:

FG -- 39.6%

3 PT FG -- 28.6%

FT -- 53.6%

MTZag03
03-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Meech?

scott257
03-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Ouch. Now youre gonna get it, the wrath. But not a bad point, if indelicately put.

Not intending to upset anyone. I think Mike Hart is great. I am also not advocating a need for him to shoot frequently. He isn't that bad of a shot though. He just needs to take those open shots when he has the opportunity, if for no other reason, it will keep defenses honest.

ZagsGoZags
03-10-2013, 08:41 PM
I have read on this board that Mike H shoots pretty well in practice,
that he has decent offense

In games we have no idea how effective it would be if he was asked to shoot more of the wide open threes, maybe he would surprise everyone

this is not the time to experiment with that, but I would have liked to see him get more of a green light to attempt shots when he is open

MDABE80
03-10-2013, 08:43 PM
When the offense sputters ( surely not deliberately...it just happens once in a while) , smart thing to do is pour on the defense ( which is contrallable). Mike does that every game. How many points he prevents with rebounding, scrambles, straight up defense and harassment in general cannot be known. How ever, he sees to it the WE get the ball and they are held very low in scoring. Drew.well he's hit some type of a wall. Good player but just not a Mike Hart on defense and rebounding.
SO we play a viscious defense.......that wins games. Hart works at breakneck speed amnd he's reliable when he does it. Mike's just everywhere when he plays. Drew cannot do what Mike does.
All this said, I'd like to see Mike Hart shoot more as his numbers are good when he shoots. Seems like some of the kids are afraid to shoot. I do hope Few turns them loose.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/46209/mike-hart

Good FG%. Good 3 pts %....Ft's could be better.

roxdoc
03-10-2013, 09:17 PM
All this talk about several different players not taking an open shot. Since there is a number of them, and even some in the recent past, one wonders if (a) they are not supposed to or (b) they fear the long term consequences of a miss.

UberZagFan
03-10-2013, 10:36 PM
One word: tighten-up rotation. Happens every year at this time. No different this year.

El Zag
03-10-2013, 10:47 PM
...No doghouse for passing up open shots.

exclusivelee
03-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Meech?

Jazz was quoting Stocks's stats.

On another note, is anyone still glad that Few gave the reigns to Meech in the first place? Look how Grant turned out at Creighton. and let's throw in how Few threw Manny to the doghouse too. Manny worked his butt off getting offensive rebounds and was good at shooting the 3. He seems to be doing pretty well at Indiana St now.

DixieZag
03-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Jazz was quoting Stocks's stats.

On another note, is anyone still glad that Few gave the reigns to Meech in the first place? Look how Grant turned out at Creighton. and let's throw in how Few threw Manny to the doghouse too. Manny worked his butt off getting offensive rebounds and was good at shooting the 3. He seems to be doing pretty well at Indiana St now.

Oh, sure - let's talk about that since nothing else is going on.

americasteam
03-11-2013, 12:04 AM

Good one , Dixie :-)

We're number 1 with the players we have. I'll take it!

Birddog
03-11-2013, 04:28 AM
Post of the day! Good way to start the AM.

SteelZag
03-11-2013, 10:35 AM
...No doghouse for passing up open shots.

I would like MH, Drew or anyone else for that matter, to not pass up wide open shots. When our offense stalls, IMHO, either from tight defense or players missing bunnies, (role) players continually pass up open shots.
Whether it's orders from Few or being just hesitant on the shooters' part, I don't know. I do know that we seem to end up with poorer pecentage shots, which are not usually made, as the shot clock winds down. Or worse, a turnover.

In my view, unless this problem doesn't get tweaked soon, I have worries about how far the Zags advance come tourney time.

Zags11
03-11-2013, 10:49 AM
DB will be fine. He hustles more, plays better d. 1-7 for a 3pt shooter happens. Dont be shocked when he goes 2-3.

ZagsGoZags
03-12-2013, 06:08 AM
future opponents scouting our games with LMU and BYU may try their hand with zone defense

this will prob provide opportunities for DB