PDA

View Full Version : So, come Monday - where do we land on the polls?

U Zig, I Zag
03-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Obviously the IU game will move some folks up and down and the Duke win seems to have impressed the talking heads and Lunardi. I think it would be odd to lose the ranking if you hadn't lost - but I wouldn't be surprised if Duke gets lots and lots of votes.

What do you think?

Zag@LMU
03-10-2013, 09:59 AM
2, which is probably where we belong

Hoopaholic
03-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I think it tightens up but we stay at one

gu03alum
03-10-2013, 10:04 AM
2 - Duke will be 1

gamagin
03-10-2013, 10:11 AM

This is my hope. Based on W-L. And it's quite possible.

Duke got all the t.v. noise due to Kelly returning big. Indiana, too. But I hope most voters note the body of work & let us ride til ncaa's. as long as we keep winning.

that would be fairly easy among those who voted for us last week: it's gu's til they are knocked off. It should stay that way -- no matter how good Kelly looked. Duke isn't 30-2, GU is.

jazzdelmar
3 if Indiana wins . Rightly so, anyone who peeked at the GU game has voters remorse for sure. If IN loses drop to 2. No way in gods blue heaven Duke is not one especially after beating Michael Jordan, James Worthy and co. No, they didn't? Well Wooden winner Kelly dropped eight, there's that.

More imp, Zags drop to second top seed, again in favor of Duke but if Indiana wins big GU cd be number three.

All this and the BCS tourneys haven't even started.

DixieZag
I think it will be very tight. Many votes to both and is probably close to 50/50 now.

MickMick
03-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Beat SMC.

If Few had that Baylor squad, they would be #1 as well.

HOOTER
03-10-2013, 10:53 AM
2 or 3, but who cares really? Beat Saint Marys. That's the only thing they can control. Everything else will take care of itself.

bartruff1
03-10-2013, 10:58 AM
2 or 3, but who cares really? Beat Saint Marys. That's the only thing they can control. Everything else will take care of itself. At least we were #1...and they can't take away your first kiss !!!

exclusivelee
03-10-2013, 11:03 AM
#2... Duke should be #1. Indiana already has one loss this week, so they shouldn't jump us even if they beat Michigan, but in terms of seeding, if Indiana wins, Lunardi will drop us to the third #1 seed

NumberCruncher
03-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if we held #1 in the coaches poll and slipped to #2 in the AP. Lots of toadies in the AP will vote us lower than 3rd.

Mantua
03-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Although I don't see Duke's win over UNC as glorious as touted, I imagine that Duke will be #1 in both polls and we should be #2, but could be #3 in the AP, just 'cause. Will Indiana and Kansas be as Teflon coated in the polls as they are in Lunardi's cute little charts?

MDABE80
03-10-2013, 11:14 AM
DUke is undefeated with Kelly. Th logic is that without him , Duke loses games. With him, they don't and are devastating.
I think Duke moves up BUT I cannot remember a no 1 being booted from the top spot when they won. It'll be close......maybe a split.

I do think, given these games, we're going to lose our 1 seed....as Lunardi indicated. Our body of work, compared to the BCS champs, isn't quite there. Last night fed that feeling.

No matter though, we need to win games. Winning some of our games might not help all that much but losing would be devastating and "prove" some of these scribes right that we don't belong. Georgetown is coming on strong. I wonder what happens to KU now that Baylor mugged em yesterday.

MickMick
03-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Let's not get caught up with North Carolina now.

Remember Lehigh?

rijman
03-10-2013, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke take over the #1 spot, they have a story to tell with Kelly returning and playing well. I won't be happy about it though. I agree with what Few said in a tv interview, there really isn't a #1 team, there are about 10 really good teams. However, GU and Duke appear worthy of the top 2 spots right now, that much I know.

NotoriousZ
03-10-2013, 11:41 AM

Ding ding ding ding. And the correct answer is: Hoopaholic's.

We have a huge lead in #1 votes in both polls. If UNC was a better team, maybe Duke would pass us. And we did end up winning ourselves by almost 20 points. My $$$ says we keep it.

Mantua
03-10-2013, 11:59 AM
DUke is undefeated with Kelly. Th logic is that without him , Duke loses games. With him, they don't and are devastating.
I think Duke moves up BUT I cannot remember a no 1 being booted from the top spot when they won. It'll be close......maybe a split.

Duke would have lost to UNC without Kelly?! (I'm not not saying that you think so, MDABE.). Lunardi's logic is killing me. LMU's improved play in the tournament receives no consideration and maybe it shouldn't, but who in the top 15 couldn't beat UNC? That win did not not prove anything about Duke except that with Kelly maybe they are a bit more immune to bad losses.

Bogozags
03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Ding ding ding ding. And the correct answer is: Hoopaholic's.

We have a huge lead in #1 votes in both polls. If UNC was a better team, maybe Duke would pass us. And we did end up winning ourselves by almost 20 points. My $$$ says we keep it.

Agree completely!

Have no memory of a #1 team winning and then being demoted!

IMO - GU HELD SERVE AND STILL REMAINS #1

jim77
03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
#1...you don't move the #1 team out of the #1 slot for winning by 18.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-10-2013, 12:48 PM
The coaches will vote GU #1.

The AP poll is a bit more complicated. Quite a few voters that put the Zags #1 last week would have to change their minds (at least 19 of the 51)...in a week where they won their only game by 18 points.

On top of that, Indiana got 7 first place votes last week that are now up for grabs. In my mind GU is as likely as Duke to pick up those voters (OK maybe not equally likely...)

caduceus
03-10-2013, 12:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/KMvr9On.gif

Also, here's a comprehensive list of teams that have been ranked #1 on Selection Sunday that haven't gotten a 1-seed:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Flag_Blank.svg

dazags
03-10-2013, 12:50 PM
+1

U Zig, I Zag
03-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Caduceus, good research there. I agree with the numbers.

Also, I am in the camp of 'who cares, just win Monday' - but as a bigger basketball discussion I think it's worth having. It says something about what the writers think about GU (whatever happens Monday).

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Duke doesn't win its conference yet is #1 at the end of conference play... ?? Not happening.

Zagger
03-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Kick St. Mary's butt for the full 40 minutes & win by at least 20 and we might have a shot at #1 next week. Tomorrow - the Zags didn't look so hot in the first 1/2 against LMU. That's got to make some voters think differently. I hope to see us stay in the top four and get a #1 seed. If not, could care less - as long as they kick butt in the NCAAs. But, to do well in the NCAAs the Zags can't have a 1/2 like Friday's. The competition in the NCAAs is going to be intense.

Reborn
03-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Zags won by 18 points. How could they take away our #1 position in the poll? Duke doesn't even win their conference. How could they be ranked first in the Polls? Yes, I know Kelly is back, and they have not lost a game with him in the starting lineup. So what? All kinds of teams lose players, and a loss is a loss, and 28-2, with only one loss on the road, is what it is. AWESOME!!!

#1 Zags

Go Zags!!!

NEC26
03-10-2013, 01:17 PM
No way we aren't number one in both polls come Monday(man we have some nervous nancy's around here lately) even if Indiana wins against Michigan they lost to Ohio State at home this week. Duke will move up to two and possibly gain a few one votes but they aren't taking the one spot. For anyone saying we lose top spot I'd be more than willing to place a monetary bet on that.

maynard g krebs
03-10-2013, 01:17 PM
The Zags get more scrutiny over halftime scores than the big schools do. Duke only led Santa Clara by 2 at home at half, and needed a lot of striped help in the second. Duke was tied with Davidson at the half.

I don't see the same logic applied there.

If you win by 18, you win by 18.

NEC26
03-10-2013, 01:23 PM
It seems with this one ranking everyone is hoping for utter domination and dismantling of our opponents every minute of the game(winning by 18 is not enough we should have blown their doors off both halves). I blame WooHoos paintings on this!
But seriously though the hand wringing and claims that Duke deserves the one spot over us because they beat a poor UNC team is ridiculous. There might be a few voters who vote for Duke this week but I bet its 15 max and more likely less than that.

bigblahla
03-10-2013, 01:53 PM
The paranoia by some here is almost stifling. Did we lose?

There is no reason the Zags should fall from #1.

Unlike other #1's we had a bad half and WON!

Go!! Zags!!!

AK457
03-10-2013, 02:22 PM
I think we're overthinking this. GU came out flat, played poorly, looked ahead to the championship game, played against a team that was playing like their lives depended on it, had their best player have his worst game of the season.... and won by 18. #1.

NotoriousZ
03-10-2013, 02:42 PM
So now that Indiana won, it's going to be close. It's a three way race now, and although I think the Zags hold on to it, all I can think about right now is the match-ups we could get late in the tourney. Michigan would give us problems, I think, and Indiana is a team we match-up very well with. Anyway, for the polls sake (not that it matters that much):

1. Zags
2. Indiana
3. Duke

NEC26
03-10-2013, 02:50 PM
So now that Indiana won, it's going to be close. It's a three way race now, and although I think the Zags hold on to it, all I can think about right now is the match-ups we could get late in the tourney. Michigan would give us problems, I think, and Indiana is a team we match-up very well with. Anyway, for the polls sake (not that it matters that much):

1. Zags
2. Indiana
3. Duke

Indiana lost at home this week and on the road last week. Duke will be 2 GU 1 and Indiana might take 3 only because Georgetown and Kansas also lost this week.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Wasn't this week's poll the final one for the season? I think it was...

NEC26
03-10-2013, 03:39 PM
The polls run till the championship is won.

gamagin
03-10-2013, 04:13 PM
the fact we only have one game. That's due to the concession granted to BYU (no play on Sunday). As it turns out it only hurts us because we have one game this week to everyone else's two.

ANd it doesn't matter to BYU anyway since both teams got eliminated.

Thanks to BYU, everyone, including the voters in the polls, have to vote without another game on our part and all the fans of the schools still in it have to sit around for an extra day to finish what should have been a weekend tourney in the first place.

Maybe there should be some new language in this deal that says everyone rests on Sunday unless BYU gets eliminated. Then, the final is on Sunday.

Or maybe start a day earlier.

caduceus
03-10-2013, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it gam. Look on the bright side. It gives us two weeks to have games in the conversation, and potentially two weeks to go undefeated for the week.

Beat St. Mary's!

kclubfounder
03-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Because those who vote were very likely scrutinizing the LMU game from the opening tip, and were very upset with the half-time score, I think there is a very strong chance that we will drop in the polls.

:rolleyes:

NotoriousZ
03-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Indiana lost at home this week and on the road last week. Duke will be 2 GU 1 and Indiana might take 3 only because Georgetown and Kansas also lost this week.

Yeah you're right, of course. I keep forgetting these teams are losing in bunches.

1. Zags
2. Duke
3. Indiana

sittingon50
03-10-2013, 04:43 PM

HOOTER
03-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

I agree there is no reason they should fall, but it's certainly not paranoia to think they might anyway.

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Puke will be #1... Zags may drop to 3 since Indiana won today.

I mean the just beat a mediocre UNC team... so they must deserve it.

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2013, 07:11 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

Not paranoia... cynicism.

GZag
03-10-2013, 07:44 PM

I understand that too, but nationally there is some pressure not to show favorites even though they do it everyday on ESPN. LMU would have beat UNC, yet the east talking heads think they are special.

Zags should be #1, but if not - oh well :)

DixieZag
03-10-2013, 07:52 PM

Would that type of cynicism be driven by seeing a high power name like, say - - UCLA, yes let's take UCLA and have their doors blown off somewhere really bad, somewhere everyone wins like Pullman! And let's combine it with a big big money media basketbally thing like CBS! and let's look at how CBS and UCLA do each other:

UCLA drops from 18 TO!!! 19 in this week's poll. And they tried to lose to the Huskies and just didn't get it done.

I think it is scenarios like that that drive our cynicism.

BullHurley
03-10-2013, 07:59 PM
the fact we only have one game. That's due to the concession granted to BYU (no play on Sunday). As it turns out it only hurts us because we have one game this week to everyone else's two.

ANd it doesn't matter to BYU anyway since both teams got eliminated.

Thanks to BYU, everyone, including the voters in the polls, have to vote without another game on our part and all the fans of the schools still in it have to sit around for an extra day to finish what should have been a weekend tourney in the first place.

Maybe there should be some new language in this deal that says everyone rests on Sunday unless BYU gets eliminated. Then, the final is on Sunday.

Or maybe start a day earlier.

Not true. The conference championship game was on a Monday before BYU joined the conference. Because of BYU, the semifinals were moved from Sunday to Saturday. It would not have made a difference in the voting.

gamagin
03-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Not true. The conference championship game was on a Monday before BYU joined the conference. Because of BYU, the semifinals were moved from Sunday to Saturday. It would not have made a difference in the voting.

for clarifying. how about plan B ? Back it up so it ends on instead of after the weekend ? Thurs-Sat. Sunday travel day. The voters are polled on Sunday and the tally is revealed on Monday.

That was my issue. Should not have assumed & blamed BYU for that. Sorry.

BullHurley
03-10-2013, 11:33 PM
for clarifying. how about plan B ? Back it up so it ends on instead of after the weekend ? Thurs-Sat. Sunday travel day. The voters are polled on Sunday and the tally is revealed on Monday.

That was my issue. Should not have assumed & blamed BYU for that. Sorry.

If I had to guess, I would say that ESPN probably wants the final game on Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Birddog
03-11-2013, 03:22 AM
If I had to guess, I would say that ESPN probably wants the final game on Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Your guess is correct. I assume ESPN holds most of the cards but it is a joint agreement. The TV airing is worth a ton and Monday is less crowded than Sunday, or Saturday. The final conference tournament games aired sort of go in a conference strength (perceived) order with potential TV audience factored in. Lets face it the WCC doesn't garner as much national interest as the Big 6. Think of it as the last Big Monday of the season.

It should also be noted that this game is now aired at 9PM Eastern . For several years it was 11PM.

rawkmandale
03-11-2013, 12:27 PM
I guess we are still Number 1 (with a bullet).

LongIslandZagFan
03-11-2013, 12:31 PM
My cynicism has been unfounded to this point... But I vow to remain cynical until the end of the season simply out of superstition.

NumberCruncher
03-11-2013, 12:51 PM
My cynicism has been unfounded to this point... But I vow to remain cynical until the end of the season simply out of superstition.

Thought about starting a cynicism contest. Trouble is, anybody optimistic enough to enter would have to be immediately disqualified.

LongIslandZagFan
03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Thought about starting a cynicism contest. Trouble is, anybody optimistic enough to enter would have to be immediately disqualified.

:lmao:

Reborn
03-11-2013, 04:44 PM
WE ARE STILL #1 IN BOTH POLLS!!!

In the AP poll we got 54 votes Duke got 11. Indiana got 0

In the USA Coaches poll GU got 29 Duke got 2 and Indiana 0.

Way to go Zags! Congratulations. Now! Let's play like champions tonigth.

Go Zags!!!