PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be great if KO did this?

ZagsGoZags
03-08-2013, 12:34 AM
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-cfb/20130305/S.Carolina-Clowney/

South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney has taken out a $5 million insurance policy to protect himself financially during the Gamecocks' 2013 season.

Clowney said there was never a doubt he would play, but he did use the NCAA's ``Exceptional Student-Athlete Disability Program'' that permits qualifying athletes in football, men's and women's basketball, baseball and ice hockey, to take out a loan to help finance the cost of an insurance policy, which they must repay upon signing a pro contract.

Clowney confirmed Thursday that he had the $5 million policy, but did not say he was concerned about being injured.

The $5 million is the maximum amount allowed and NCAA spokesman Chris Radford has said such policies cost about $30,000. Radford said between 75 and 100 athletes take advantage of the program annually

Several analysts say the 6-foot-6 Clowney would be the No. 1 overall pick in this year's NFL draft if he were eligible. That led to questions whether Clowney should consider not playing and avoid possibly suffering an injury that might ruin his draft status.

jazzdelmar
03-08-2013, 04:46 AM
Well and good, but one problem is he will never earn back the millions he would make next year if a lottery pick. Also, he will be a year further away from free agency and a life altering contract, not that his first wont be sweet enough. Tough call if he projects mid or late first round. Mid teens he's gone, IMO. Sadly.

Upward
03-08-2013, 05:15 AM
From what I know... I believe the NFL has an age limit on draft eligible players. Thus Clowney can't be drafted this year. If he could... I'm sure he'd be gone.

bartruff1
03-08-2013, 06:13 AM
I think Kelly has a accounting degree ??....in any case I am sure he knows the value of Opportunity Costs.... he has nothing to gain by another year os college basketball and much to lose $$$$ by delay

DixieZag
03-08-2013, 06:17 AM
Yes, the numbers do seem to pencil out. If mid first round (and likely is) he should leave.

JPtheBeasta
03-08-2013, 06:21 AM
From what I know... I believe the NFL has an age limit on draft eligible players. Thus Clowney can't be drafted this year. If he could... I'm sure he'd be gone.

That's my understanding as well.

Going to school beats the heck out of being caught during your off year in your car with machine guns and a flack jacket like Maurice Clarette (sp?)

TexasZagFan
03-08-2013, 07:10 AM
That's my understanding as well.

Going to school beats the heck out of being caught during your off year in your car with machine guns and a flack jacket like Maurice Clarette (sp?)

Kelly should finish his Masters Degree. Think of all the money he'll save by being his own agent.

There's plenty of Gonzaga alums that are CPAs that would love to help with your tax planning! :)

cjm720
03-08-2013, 07:17 AM
He's gone and deservedly so.

But, I'd love to see him pull an Andy Luck.

CDC84
03-08-2013, 07:41 AM
FYI - Kentucky's Nerlens Noel took out a 10 million buck injury insurance policy before the season started. It's very common these days for the top prospects to do this.

I still say that these kids are far, far more likely to suffer a catastropic, career damaging injury by falling down a flight of stairs or getting hit by a car than by anything that could ever happen to them on a basketball floor in college. And even when a bad injury happens (see Kenyon Martin) they still draft you highly if you are a serious enough prospect.

The whole "fear of injury" thing is, by and large, a total farce. It's just an attempt to silence the critics of any player who wants to leave early for the NBA. Especially guys who have upside but who aren't ready yet for the league. If the fear were truly justifiable, we would be seeing top level propects damaging their NBA stock with injuries more often than we do. The odds of it happening to you are very low. I think it's more about the immediate gratification of getting paid big bucks right away. But no player wants to be honest about that because they fear criticism.

BTW - Kelly Olynyk could easily complete his masters while in the NBA. There is a large list of players who have completed college degrees while playing in the league. If it's important enough to you and your family, there are ways of doing it. In fact, NBA teams are often very supportive of such players. There's worse things that you could be doing off the court than reading a textbook.

rijman
03-08-2013, 07:42 AM
I would be shocked to see KO return next season. If he hadn't earned his degree that would be minor added incentive to return, but I can't imagine he would come back unless his draft stock plummeted. The way KO is playing I fully anticipate his draft stock will continue upward along with his POY stock.

bartruff1
03-08-2013, 07:49 AM
The fear of injury is not a farce...it may be remote but the consequences could be a calamity...IMHO you would be a fool to pass up a bird in the hand because no one know the future.

Ekrub
03-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Don't know if we can criticize Kelly for instant-gratification if as a senior (this year) he decides to leave. He graciously accepted his role as a red-shirt, role player, and star for 4 years within the GU system. I hope he gets drafted, makes a ton of money, and has a long and successful NBA career.

Ekrub
03-08-2013, 07:55 AM
And there are a number of players who have been seriously injured on the basketball court this year, there are maybe 5000 D1 players. I'm no expert on the odds of slipping down stairs or drowning in a bucket, but I would imagine the odds of them injuring themselves playing a very physical and fast paced sport at close to the highest level (especially a 7-footer) might be slightly higher than injuring yourself in some other mundane way. And you have a choice to play basketball or not. If he choses to avoid the risk, I don't see a problem.

CDC84
03-08-2013, 07:55 AM
I still say it's a PR move to deflect criticism, whether that criticism is justified or not. Many times it's not. I don't think many Gonzaga fans would fault KO for leaving early.

The criticism tends to less forceful when it is applied to guys like Olynyk who figure to be lottery picks and who are pretty much developed. I would certainly not fault Kelly for going this year if he gets that kind of guarantee. I'd split as well, but it's a personal decision. As I said, he can always finish off his education later on.

FuManShoes
03-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Don't know if we can criticize Kelly for instant-gratification if as a senior (this year) he decides to leave. He graciously accepted his role as a red-shirt, role player, and star for 4 years within the GU system. I hope he gets drafted, makes a ton of money, and has a long and successful NBA career.

QFT. Not sure what else Kelly owes GU or fans after what he's accomplished on and off the court. This is why we go to school - to learn, grow, accrue knowledge and skills and make ourselves employable. He's done all of that and more. I'm happy for him, hope he can help lead this team to the promised land but wouldn't begrudge him a thing if he enters the draft. And really I can't even say it would be cool or not cool if he stayed, did this injury insurance business or what have you, because logic dictates going pro when you're ready or have the opportunity and he's got both.

MDABE80
03-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Well and good, but one problem is he will never earn back the millions he would make next year if a lottery pick. Also, he will be a year further away from free agency and a life altering contract, not that his first wont be sweet enough. Tough call if he projects mid or late first round. Mid teens he's gone, IMO. Sadly.

I suspect the $5-$10 million insurance is just a "### sweetener". Kelly would also want to stay. We have 2-8 games left this year. Let's see what happens.

GoGU
03-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Kelly already has a bachelor's degree in finance. That's more than we can say for most first-rounders. The MBA would be nice, but it makes sense for him to leave this year, as much as I hate to say it.

Zag 77
03-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I would like to see WooHoo or somebody create a photo of Kelly Olynyk dressed as a CPA. You know, pocket protector, green shaded visor and thick glasses with black plastic frames.

:)

ZenZag
03-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Think of it this way......if YOU were in his position and faced with that decision in your early 20's what would YOU do?? There is not a doubt in my mind as to what I would do.....

GeorgiaZagFan
03-08-2013, 09:41 AM
I like to use Tim Duncan as the example for staying all 4 years. I truly believe he became a better player and reached a higher level of success because he stayed in college. He was a more complete player when he entered the pros...

tinfoilzag
03-08-2013, 09:42 AM
The insurance premium would probably be too expensive once the insurers saw Kaufusi on GU's schedule twice next year.:boxing:

cjm720
03-08-2013, 09:49 AM
I would like to see WooHoo or somebody create a photo of Kelly Olynyk dressed as a CPA. You know, pocket protector, green shaded visor and thick glasses with black plastic frames.

:)

Hey...not nice :)

Argentum
03-08-2013, 10:36 AM
I like to use Tim Duncan as the example for staying all 4 years. I truly believe he became a better player and reached a higher level of success because he stayed in college. He was a more complete player when he entered the pros...

You're equating playing all four years with staying all four years. Kelly has been at GU for 4 years. He has his degree. He's worked himself into one of the most complete bigs playing college basketball. The only two things left to accomplish are reaching a Final Four and winning a national title. He can do those things this year so I'm going to enjoy every minute of his remaining games and wish him well when the season is done.

JPtheBeasta
03-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Kelly should finish his Masters Degree. Think of all the money he'll save by being his own agent.

There's plenty of Gonzaga alums that are CPAs that would love to help with your tax planning! :)

Would he have to take the Drew Rosenhause telecourse on smarminess first?

JPtheBeasta
03-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Especially when his advanced age will be used against him when comparing him to younger players with upside

thespywhozaggedme
03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure that I understand this post. You wish kelly would buy insurance? Clowney would be the #1 pick this year if he were eligible.

SteelZag
03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Of the articles I've read, the way I read them, the insurance is only payable upon disability, with Kelly not being able to play again. Maybe someone with more knowledge could elabororate.

If so, then sliding down to the second round or not being drafted at all and never playing professionally is a slim possibility.

Personally, I don't feel as though Kelly could do anything to lower his draft status after another year, but @$%& happens. Only making a couple of hundred grand in Europe would still allow him to easily repay the loan, as $30,000 would still be chump change, just as it would be for a CPA.

If true, the choice would be set for life if lottery pick or never playing again vs. a lower salary starting off with the loan still payable either way.

Is this correct? HELP.

john montana
03-08-2013, 01:15 PM
The only reason I can see KO coming back is to be player of the year, preseason number 1, and enjoy all the hoopla that comes with it. That would be worth something to me...maybe enough to take out an insurance policy and enjoy one more year, or maybe not. either way, i've loved watching him play. He was fun to watch even as a freshman.