PDA

View Full Version : Schedule - Montana Nov. 11

ZagNative
08-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Montana's Schedule has been released (http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/results/xsl/results.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=content_results_web&id_team=202&event_schedule_year=2007-2008&switch=YES&-sortfield.1=event_date_start&-sortfield.2=event_time_start&-sortorder.1=ascend&-sortorder.2=ascend&-token.8=0&-max=all&-find)

So here's what our schedule might look like to date:

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/3998/schedule081007qg8.jpg

UAB seems to have dropped off the radar, and I still haven't seen a confirmation from Gonzaga about the Oklahoma game. Lots of stuff in her is tenuous at this point, including the entire WCC schedule.

El Voce
08-10-2007, 08:40 PM
I think it's great that Montana is back on the schedule. They have been a great regional foe for a long, long time. For many years they were the class of the Big Sky conference, dating back to GU's membership in the BSC.

The basketball program fell on bad times for a while, but , I believe, is back on the upswing.

I hope that the Zags will continue to schedule regional rivals Montana, Idaho, and EWU. It might not be possible to play all three every season, but I would hope we play two of three every year. It is important for Gonzaga to not forget the roots of our program.

El Voce
08-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Thank you, Zag Native, for the hours of work you have put in on this schedule. It is much appreciated.

ZagNative
08-10-2007, 08:49 PM
I hope that the Zags will continue to schedule regional rivals Montana, Idaho, and EWU. It might not be possible to play all three every season, but I would hope we play two of three every year. It is important for Gonzaga to not forget the roots of our program.
Amen, El Voce.

BBskorer
08-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Thank you, Zag Native, for the hours of work you have put in on this schedule. It is much appreciated.I will second that.

Filling out nicely. If Montana is the opener, you can see where the other 3 games might fit in (Nov.14-ish, Dec.5-ish for Wazzu I'd guess, & Dec.15-ish).

I'm likin' this sched!

Nevtelen
08-10-2007, 10:42 PM
It'd also be nice if we could get some decentish game around Jan 8th or 9th-ish since WCC play starts so late this season (if that WCC schedule stays correct) - if UAB actually happens (not holding my breath), it might be there (or displace another game to that time slot) which would be nice. Also, hopefully the Idaho game is the one after finals, which leaves either WSU or Port St to be a mid-Nov game and the other to be early December.

All in all, it seems maybe a little weaker overall than some of our other schedules of recent memory, but it's still quite good and the difficulty could easily change depending on how some of these teams do (like if UConn makes serious strides forward from last year). Some of those games will be really, really tough - Tenn and Memphis and WSU come to mind...

TheZagPhish
08-10-2007, 11:52 PM
A spreadsheet never looked so pretty. Thanks ZN!

BobZag
08-11-2007, 09:48 AM
WSU is December 5.

Idaho and PSU will be filling in the gaps.

Nice job, ZN. :)

Sarenyon
08-11-2007, 10:28 AM
I do not see any spreadsheet with the schedule on it.

Am I missing something. I wish to see ZN's great work too.:o

CDC84
08-11-2007, 10:38 AM
How do you we know that Northridge is on 12/8? Their sked hasn't been released yet on their athletics page as of yesterday. Newspaper article?

Zags-Bsee
08-11-2007, 10:54 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/coach?id=277

Just a small addition for those that didn't know the Montana coach from a few years ago is now a NBA head coach.

ZagNative
08-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Sarenyon, I have no idea why you don't see the spreadsheet, but it ain't no fair. If you want to PM me with your e-mail addess, I'll be glad to e-mail the spreadsheet to you.

Here's an updated one with WSU you might not see either:

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2165/schedule081107or3.jpg

ZagNative
08-11-2007, 11:17 AM
How do you we know that Northridge is on 12/8? Their sked hasn't been released yet on their athletics page as of yesterday. Newspaper article?
CDC, that was based on a post by NJZag here (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showpost.php?p=41203&postcount=17).

There was a "report" of a Dec. 20th game at K2 featuring the Zags vs. Cal State Northridge back in June and I see that they are still carrying that listing in a July estimated schedule, based on published reports from somewhere. The post at CSUN's board also mentions the possibility that the date might be swapped with Dec. 8th.

http://p071.ezboard.com/200708-Sched...icID=114.topic

When the Oklahoma game subsequently was announced for the 20th, the suggestion was then made by some of us that the Northridge game must have been moved to the December 8 date mentioned in NJZag's post. Could be totally wrong. Or, maybe the reason the GU coaching staff was not happy about the announcement by Oklahoma before the deal had been firmly inked was they hadn't cleared the change in the date of the Northridge game with Northridge staff.

CDC84
08-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks Native.

Northridge's finals week doesn't end until December 15. The last day of finals for them is on a Saturday. While I am sure the team could take their finals earlier, the way their academic calendar works suggests that they are not likely to be the non-BCS opponent that GU faces at K2 after finals week...assuming that GU does indeed play a team at K2 after their finals week. There is enough time between the end of GU's finals week and Oklahoma to fit in a game. I think the Zags need to do this.

BobZag
08-12-2007, 10:34 AM
I think we have a K2 game on Dec. 17.

Who? I dunno...yet. I'm thinking Idaho or PSU.

CDC84
08-12-2007, 10:46 AM
I really like how this schedule looks. The pacing of it looks good. Gonzaga has five newcomers this year and the staff are going to have to experiment with the rotation, try out different lineups, etc. It's nice to not have to play top 10 teams right off the bat for a change.

ZagNative
08-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Any chance Alabama could be a late addition? I keep seeing this report (http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20070812/NEWS/70811022/1011/dateline&cachetime=3&template=dateline), where Mercer was waiting for a deal for Alabama to play them, but it was held up because ESPN was trying to set up a Gonzaga and Alabama matchup:

Slonaker said the deal was delayed after waiting for nearly two anxious months to confirm the deal, waiting for Alabama to officially sign off on it. He was ready to talk about it in June, but ESPN contacted Alabama and Gonzaga about a possible television matchup.

“I was getting concerned,” Slonaker said with a laugh. “They were always so good about returning phone calls back in May. For about two weeks, I got really concerned it wasn’t going to happen.”

While there has been no confirmation that an Alabama-Gonzaga game is set, Slonaker said he received written confirmation from UA last Wednesday.
The Mercer game with Alabama will be Mercer's home opener, so I don't know if ESPN was also trying to work out a November match up between the Zags and Bama with a conflicting date, or whether Bama was already full up with OOC games and so there was room for either Mercer or Gonzaga, but not both, regardless of date.

Anyway, anyone have any idea whether a deal for this year has definitely been nixed?

Also, what do we know for sure about OOC games for next year? It looks like we'll have UConn at the BIS (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=rivals-140407&prov=rivals&type=lgns), and we'll be traveling to Florida for the Old Spice Classic (http://sienasaints.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041007aab.html) (Gonzaga, Maryland, Memphis, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Wichita State and Siena).

Is it safe to assume th Oklahoma game at Ford Center this year will mean a return game here next year, maybe in the Arena for the Ronald McDonald Charity Classic, and will the Vols traveling to the Battle in Seattle will mean the Zags will go to a neutral site game in Tennessee next year? Is the Memphis series done?

Nevtelen
08-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Memphis would have to come back to Spokane for 1 more, I think, right? After that, I hope the series is renewed. I think it's been beneficial for both teams.

ZagNative
08-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I was thinking there was one game left, but I wondered, since we potentially play them in the Old Spice tournament in 2008, whether I was wrong. Maybe we potentially play them twice in '08.

BobZag
08-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Confirmed: There is a K2 game Dec. 17.

My guess is: Idaho or PSU.

Ideal for the end of Finals Week.

Yep, one game left vs Memphis after this season's game. Doubtful we play twice in one season. The series should be renewed.

BobZag
08-13-2007, 02:48 PM
I haven't heard much discussion on the Great Alaska Shootout. I think it's got a great field this year. No, not the Mich. State's and UCONN, but overall I think there are real good teams in it. One thing I like is how there are teams representing so many difference conferences. You have Texas Tech from the Big 12 and Bobby Knight the coach, you have Virginia Tech out of the ACC and who had a very good team last year and did better than GU in the Div I NCAA Tournament, you have Michigan out of the Big Ten, they will be good I think, You have Butler who beat us last year; so it will be real nice to see them again (and possibly play them), I just recently saw a great movie about Western Kentucky when the won their first NCAA tournament (back in '65 or 66 I think).

I thought Arkansas was in the GAS?????

How many of you think GU will win this tournament? And if we get knocked off who would beat us? If we win it who is the toughest team to beat?

Do you mean Texas Western? Glory Road. 1966. They beat Kentucky.

There will be lots of talk about this tourney when pairings are announced.

CDC84
08-13-2007, 03:01 PM
BTW...It is to my understanding that Western KY should have a pretty good team this year. They might have postseason potential. They have a couple of really nice players in wing Courtney Lee and guard Tyrone Brazelton.

ZagNative
08-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Do you mean Texas Western? Glory Road. 1966. They beat Kentucky.

Quote from biography of Coach Don Haskins from Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Haskins) about that National Championship won by Texas Western (now UTEP):

"I've said this many times over the last 40 years, but for a long time I thought winning the national championship was the worst thing ever to happen to me. I wished for a long time that we had never won that game with Kentucky because life would have been a heck of a lot easier for me, my school and my players."

Argh!

Nevtelen
08-13-2007, 04:01 PM
BTW...It is to my understanding that Western KY should have a pretty good team this year. They might have postseason potential. They have a couple of really nice players in wing Courtney Lee and guard Tyrone Brazelton.

I don't know how much they loose, but they went into Georgia and pulled out a win against the Bulldogs early last season. So they should certainly be taken seriously by whoever plays them.