Teams GU doesn't want to face until E8/FF...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Teams GU doesn't want to face until E8/FF...

A recent ESPN article commented match-up nightmares and for GU, that nightmare was Coach Izzo's MSU team. This is one of five teams I hope GU doesn't meet at all but we must, then not until the E8 or FF:

MSU, UM, UF, VCU and UCLA

I believe these five schools would present match-up nightmares for GU. That isn't to say we couldn't win BUT would prefer to avoid this test if at all possible.

Who do you think might cause GU fits in the Tourney?
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

ucla has some talent, but ZERO heart.
    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
      Bleeds Bulldog Blue
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
      Zero cohesiveness, very little basketball IQ, no ability to handle adversity, very suspect coaching, terrible rebounding. I'd love to play UCLA.
      You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• Hoopaholic
        • Mar 2008

agree Angelo
        The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Bogozags
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
          50 you are absolutely right BUT on any given day they might all "show-up" and play to their talent level. Also, IMO their coach is the reason they don't play with HEART...

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
            Administrator
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
            Zero cohesiveness, very little basketball IQ, no ability to handle adversity, very suspect coaching. I'd love to play UCLA.
            I saw them projected as a 4/5 prior to the WAZZU loss. I honestly can't think of a team that I'd rather face in the Sweet 16 among teams likely to be seeded on those lines. With that loss, they'll probably drop a line or two. They would be a likely candidate for an early loss to a lower-seeded team. I could easily see St. Mary's knocking them out in a 6/11 or 7/10 game.

I'd also love to see Mark Few get a little redemption for 2006.
            “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• NEC26
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Yeah I would love to play UCLA we would absolutely CRUSH them. Shabbaz reminds me of Carlino and they have terrible decision makers all over. Plus they don't rebound worth a lick. The Cougars destroyed them on the glass and that has been a problem all year for them. Unfortunately I don't see UCLA lasting long enough for us to even play them.

Comment

• siliconzag
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Feb 2007

I was thinking about my not want list too

1) VCU
                2) St. Louis
                3) MSU
                4) Creighton (this is more for personal reasons, I would like them to meet in the Finals).
                5) Louisville
                6) Villanova
                7) Kansas

These teams are mostly hot. There is tremendous parity this year, more than I can ever remember, and anyone of 30 teams might win it.

Sili

PS. On UCLA: bring them on. It would be a hollow revenge, weak as they are.

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
                  Zero cohesiveness, very little basketball IQ, no ability to handle adversity, very suspect coaching, terrible rebounding. I'd love to play UCLA.
                  REVENGE !!! ....I am not sure I could survive a loss to that team who's name is never mentioned in the House That Bart Built.

But to the point any Big or Mountain Team......

Comment

• DZ
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                    REVENGE !!! ....I am not sure I could survive a loss to that team who's name is never mentioned in the House That Bart Built.
                    We might well get that chance. The committee loves to "get cute" with match-ups and a rematch may be termpting to them.
                    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                      • Feb 2007

Spartans
                      Bilikens
                      VCU
                      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• NEC26
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I wouldn't mind MSU as a elite eight/final four opponent as their strength is ours as well. The team I don't want any part of is Michigan because imo they have type of players that give us fits. I haven't had the chance to see VCU play what makes them a dangerous team?

Comment

• zagzilla
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Syracuse. Big, Athletic backcourt. Though if we got them in the West, I doubt the travel very well.

Would be a good payback oppty though.

ZZ

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by NEC26 View Post
                            I wouldn't mind MSU as a elite eight/final four opponent as their strength is ours as well. The team I don't want any part of is Michigan because imo they have type of players that give us fits. I haven't had the chance to see VCU play what makes them a dangerous team?
                            They don't stop coming at you for 40 minutes. 40 minutes of hell is their mantra.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Working...
                            X