PDA

View Full Version : Seth Davis today can't give it a rest about Gonzaga

combatcorpsmangulaw
03-06-2013, 04:50 PM
I watched and listened to Seth Davis today on his show. It was hard to contain myself in front the television. I can't understand why Davis makes the WCC sound like a bunch of rag tag guys that wandered on to a basketball court in Portland, Santa Clara, Malibu, Westchester (LMU), San Diego, and Salt Lake City and played the Bulldogs.

Unless I mis-understood Davis, he believes that Duke, w/ a win against North Carolina this week, should move Gonzaga out of a Number 1 seed.

It really amazes me that any miscreant masquarading as an expert on college basketball can get a contract to do a television show. Are the TV Stations that hard up for commentators? Worse yet, that Sponsors are willing to pay money to support a hack like Davis.

Seth Davis -- GET OVER IT. Gonzaga has arrived, whether or not it galls you.

MickMick
03-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Zags got to their uncharted territory and Seth can't ever take it away. It is in the history books.

I could give a crap if another team moves up to #1 now. Rankings don't mean squat right now. Would love to see GU play Duke in Atlanta.

novazag2
03-06-2013, 05:00 PM
I thought Seth was on the bandwagon a few days ago. I guess he's off again. You just never know with him.

Fonebone
03-06-2013, 05:01 PM
The large margins by which were were in first place, in both polls, give me confidence that if we win twice this weekend, we will remain in first place. I wouldn't let a voice or two ( or several) create any concern. The voters overwhelmingly validated our # 1 position. Even if some other teams make a strong showing, they have to move a lot of voters to bounce us out of first.

jazzdelmar
03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
He's a sleaze and will change positions to fit ratings and his Dukie allegiance. Ignore him.

BobZag
03-06-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm his speech writer. ;)

ZagNative
03-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Funny that you glommed onto Seth Davis' comments, while I focused on the positives coming from the other panelists - Jeff Goodman, Gary Parrish, and Mike DeCourcy.

DeCourcy made a funny comment about some pundits talking about the WCC as if it were a "bunch of guys in clown shoes." He stood up for the league.

mgadfly
03-06-2013, 05:16 PM
The large margins by which were were in first place, in both polls, give me confidence that if we win twice this weekend, we will remain in first place. I wouldn't let a voice or two ( or several) create any concern. The voters overwhelmingly validated our # 1 position. Even if some other teams make a strong showing, they have to move a lot of voters to bounce us out of first.

My understanding is we will only get one game (Saturday vs Santa Clara or whoever beats them) before the next polling occurs (Sunday night). If Duke beats Virginia Tech (done) and North Carolina this week to go 18-0 when Kelly plays (9-4 without him), I think they have a pretty strong case to get some first place votes.

If they beat UNC and then win the ACC tourney (winning the tie breaker against Miami) then I think they should get the #1 spot and the #1 1-seed.

Jazzgirl_127
03-06-2013, 05:35 PM
DeCourcy made a funny comment about some pundits talking about the WCC as if it were a "bunch of guys in clown shoes." He stood up for the league.

I enjoyed when Davis brought up the "Gonzaga wouldn't go undefeated in X, Y, or Z" conference" DeCourcy and another guy started to snicker at him, like they're just as tired of his broken record argument as everyone is here. I guess I could understand that argument if there were teams in those conferences that were undefeated, but there aren't, so it's a moot point and he shouldn't hold Gonzaga to a standard that no one else has achieved this year. He comes off as an even bigger whiner on air than he does in his articles. FWIW, I only had his show on because I was watching Rome hoping that the Kelly O interview from today would be on it :(

MickMick
03-06-2013, 05:37 PM
My understanding is we will only get one game (Saturday vs Santa Clara or whoever beats them) before the next polling occurs (Sunday night). If Duke beats Virginia Tech (done) and North Carolina this week to go 18-0 when Kelly plays (9-4 without him), I think they have a pretty strong case to get some first place votes.

If they beat UNC and then win the ACC tourney (winning the tie breaker against Miami) then I think they should get the #1 spot and the #1 1-seed.

At this point we are talking about a glorified beauty contest and you just declared that you think Miss Duke is the prettiest.

Here is the deal. They are all pretty.

You don't think the hometown girl deserves to win the beauty contest and that is fine with me. You might find the neighbors hushing up and glancing at you as you walk by though.

jazzdelmar
03-06-2013, 05:38 PM
It's Davis sneer that infuriates me. He's no different from the 20000 fans at MSG when Duke beat the Zags twice in their 2000 dollar suits and well oiled hair. Would be ivy leaguers.

gamagin
03-06-2013, 06:09 PM
every bit of it. I think it was Petr Spurney, expo director, who said "I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right." (his first name only had one "e")

At this point all we hear is blah blah blah Gonzaga (not Gun Zawg AWW). Everywhere.

primal23
03-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Funny that you glommed onto Seth Davis' comments, while I focused on the positives coming from the other panelists - Jeff Goodman, Gary Parrish, and Mike DeCourcy.

Goodmans piece on mike hart was great!! Parrish is a big supporter.

zag4ever
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Not the big Doug Gottlieb fan but love it when he verbally "back-hands" Seth Davis.Doug just looks at him and starts reeling off stats and Seth just sit there dumbfound.:clap:

mgadfly
03-06-2013, 09:39 PM
At this point we are talking about a glorified beauty contest and you just declared that you think Miss Duke is the prettiest.

Here is the deal. They are all pretty.

You don't think the hometown girl deserves to win the beauty contest and that is fine with me. You might find the neighbors hushing up and glancing at you as you walk by though.

This week I think Ms. GU is prettiest.

Next week I'd understand if, after going 18-0 in the bikini competition, some people thought they were prettiest.

If Ms. Duke continues to dominate in the formal wear competition (conference tournaments) even I might be persuaded they deserve the tiara.

And the locals where I live think Ms. UW is the prettiest (just ask Percy), so they already hush and glance at me because of my affinity for Ms. GU.

DCZag
03-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Two things I know:

1) We are #1 in both polls
2) Seth Davis is a TOOL

CDC84
03-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Does Davis realize that GU is 5-0 vs. the Big 12, with three of those wins coming on road or neutral floors. That kind of gives you a clue as to what they would do in a power league.

Oregonzagnut
03-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Two things I know:

1) We are #1 in both polls
2) Seth Davis is a TOOL

Lingering in the silverware drawer is our infants old safety spoon. Even that is a sharper tool than Seth.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but I seem to remember a bunch of Selection Shows in a row with Seth Davis picking Gonzaga to make the Final 4. I'm thinking this was 04-06, he was really high on us. Does anyone else remember that? I'm pretty sure it was Seth.

GoGU
03-07-2013, 12:17 AM
I wasn't happy with Gottlieb today either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9IsgSs6FLQ

Something about the Notre Dame comparison makes my blood boil.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but I seem to remember a bunch of Selection Shows in a row with Seth Davis picking Gonzaga to make the Final 4. I'm thinking this was 04-06, he was really high on us. Does anyone else remember that? I'm pretty sure it was Seth.

krozman
03-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Only problem I have with Seth Davis is that fake broadcaster smile that I just want to take right off his face.

Gottlieb has that nerdy face that looks like he's been crunching numbers for 20 years, and when he speaks he sounds like it too. Pound for pound I respect Gottlieb, and his analogy is about as comical as all the other headlines we're going to get in the coming weeks.

Being number 1 means every broadcaster has to find a nugget of uniqueness in the same stats. So ya, any press is good press amirite?

jim77
03-07-2013, 01:01 AM
I wasn't happy with Gottlieb today either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9IsgSs6FLQ

Something about the Notre Dame comparison makes my blood boil.

Hey Doug, didn't Indiana lose to that middling Illini team too? In fact, they lost to Butler also....and Butler isn't a big ten school. Didn't the Zags give a Sullenger OSU team all they wanted last year...Zaga is better this year ...is OSU?

This notion that Duke should be #1 because thy (might) beat NC is also ridiculous....NC ain't what they used to be. Duke is nothing mre than a 3 shooting team.....with the exception of Plumlee. If Duke's threes ain't dropping, their finished. How many true road games has Duke won again? They look like lost when there away from cameron. What if Plumlee or Kelley fouls out? You guessed it....nothing left...no depth.

The facts and eye test says that their are about 10 -15 teams that could win it all. To act like a team whoose 29-2 with a bunch of nice wins is somehow usurping somebody elses spot is rediculous....the Zags belong...period.

DixieZag
03-07-2013, 02:25 AM
Not the big Doug Gottlieb fan but love it when he verbally "back-hands" Seth Davis.Doug just looks at him and starts reeling off stats and Seth just sit there dumbfound.:clap:

Gottlieb played the game, he played it well enough to have a few years in the NBA. I wonder if he finds a blowhard who never played, like Seth, insufferable.

Zagger
03-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Seth who?
Go Zags!

And, oh yeah, Zags are 29-2 --- anyone else? Zags haven't lost to an unranked team --- anyone else? And, since I'm also a Wazzu alum - Cougs just beat UCLA. That makes the close game we had with the Cougs look a bit prettier :-)

Birddog
03-07-2013, 04:48 AM
Gottlieb played the game, he played it well enough to have a few years in the NBA. I wonder if he finds a blowhard who never played, like Seth, insufferable.
Doug never sniffed the NBA, his best years were in Israel. He also played a year in Russia. He does know the game though. His whole family has been immersed in basketball for years.

All these pundits just want to be lightning rods this time of year, it makes for good ratings. Being correct isn't as valuable as being controversial. If you are both then you win the TV lottery.

tobizag
03-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Seth tweeted the following an hour ago:

@SethDavisHoops: I've been prodding the Gonzaga-as-1-seed argument but they are taking care of "bid"-ness the way others are not. Headed to overall No. 1.

DixieZag
03-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Doug never sniffed the NBA, his best years were in Israel. He also played a year in Russia. He does know the game though. His whole family has been immersed in basketball for years.

All these pundits just want to be lightning rods this time of year, it makes for good ratings. Being correct isn't as valuable as being controversial. If you are both then you win the TV lottery.

Wow. When he had his show on ESPN radio he definitely inferred that he played in the NBA, sneaky guy.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-07-2013, 06:49 AM

Gottlieb never played in the NBA.

GoZags
03-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Seth tweeted the following an hour ago:

@SethDavisHoops: I've been prodding the Gonzaga-as-1-seed argument but they are taking care of "bid"-ness the way others are not. Headed to overall No. 1.

Welcome to the party pal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ)

bballbeachbum
03-07-2013, 07:05 AM

I remember, it was something like what you wrote

good to see he's joined the party, other doubters probably are being forced to party too :) we'll see slection Sunday as long as Zags take care of their bidness in Vegas

Reborn
03-07-2013, 07:40 AM
There are alot of teams this year who can win the NCAA Tournament, imo. I don't think the seeding process, and especially seeding the #1's is really going to be about who is the best team this year. It's about who is the most deserving. GU has no losses to any team outside of the top 50 in the RPi. They therefore have no bad losses. The Zags are also 2-0 against top 20 teams. I think where the Zags seperate themselves from Indiana is playing teams ranked form 20-50. Indiana is 0-3 and Gonzags 3-2. Both of our losses (Illinois and Butler) were by teams who also beat Indiana. We have 3 wins against teams in this area and Indiana has 0.

And I believe the most significant thing that seperates us from other top 10 teams is our road record. We have one loss on the road, and 0 in conference play. And that one loss @ Butler, should really have been a victory which would have made us undefeated on the road this year.

Go Zags!!!

CDC84
03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
If teams like Miami and G-Town keep losing to teams like Ga Tech (who ain't dancing) and Nova (who is a major bubble team), it's going to be hard keeping GU off the top line if they win the WCC tournament.

ZagMan in Philly
03-07-2013, 09:30 AM
If teams like Miami and G-Town keep losing to teams like Ga Tech (who ain't dancing) and Nova (who is a major bubble team), it's going to be hard keeping GU off the top line if they win the WCC tournament.

And also, if Duke, Kansas and Indiana don't win their conf. tournament. It will be fun the next few days.
Win next two games ZAGS!

Zag4Hire
03-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Step-by-step at this time:

Step #1 Win on Saturday
Step #2 See Step #1

ZagDaddy
03-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Not to take anything away from being ranked number one--it is a nice feather in the cap and a great recruiting tool--but personally I don't really give a plug nickel for polls at this time of year. They are merely conversation pieces and not much more. The only one that matters is the last one. Until then they are about as interesting to me as entertainment industry award shows.:vomit-smiley-007:

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-07-2013, 12:20 PM
I remember, it was something like what you wrote

good to see he's joined the party, other doubters probably are being forced to party too :) we'll see slection Sunday as long as Zags take care of their bidness in Vegas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW5lF-FwYJU

See the 4:05 mark. This is just one example...he's made a little comment like this almost every year during the Selection Show about us.