PDA

View Full Version : America's Team

caduceus
03-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Found lots of Zag gems today, but I'd rather not clutter the board since there seems to be a backlash. This one was too good to pass up sharing. Move it to the media dungeon if I'm breaking the rules (which would be sad since that pretty much kills any discussion).

PNW Inlander: (http://www.inlander.com/spokane/article-19038-americas-team.html)

For two men sitting in a bagel shop just a block off the Gonzaga campus, it all started long before that fabled run. Jack Stockton remembers when this building was an IGA grocery store back when he opened Jack and Danís tavern, just across the street, in 1961. Heís sitting across from longtime friend Jerry McGinn, a former United Press International (UPI) reporter who wrote some of the first national sports stories about Gonzaga basketball.

But thatís not how they know each other ó they both grew up in the working-class Logan neighborhood that surrounds the constantly expanding campus. Much of their old neighborhood is now part of Gonzaga, but Stockton can still list the names of the families who lived in those now-gone houses.

They trade stories about seeing games at the tiny gym Gonzaga once called home ó itís now been converted into the Russell Theater. It held just a couple hundred people, and McGinn would find a way to sneak into games. Stockton remembers a time when a fight broke out between Gonzaga students and fans traveling from Montana. They laugh, remembering an era of the universityís basketball program that very few others can relate to.

ZagNative
03-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Wow. Maybe the best thing I've ever read about the Zags. It so captures the spirit of the place - the school, the team, the students, the neighborhood. What a nice piece of writing!

Thanks so much for posting that!

americasteam
03-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Wow. Maybe the best thing I've ever read about the Zags. It so captures the spirit of the place - the school, the team, the students, the neighborhood. What a nice piece of writing!

Thanks so much for posting that!

I agree. Give yourself a good 1/2 hour to read it; there's so much good stuff in there!

kclubfounder
03-06-2013, 03:41 PM
When a worthy article from a relatively obscure source is located it clearly deserves its own thread, doesn't it?

Thanks Caduceus.

BobZag
03-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Oustanding. Nice find, cadu.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-06-2013, 04:03 PM
That is the best article of the year.

rijman
03-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the link, great article. The article reminds me I am fortunate to be part of this forum where there are so many knowledgable Zags fans including some who enlighten and entertain us with their professional writing skills.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Very very nice read. This part was telling IMHO.

"But given the sort of expectations that Gonzaga fans have built up over the years, there is still plenty to prove. Despite continued success, the Zags havenít made a deep run in March since that first magical year. Theyíve never reached the next level of recognition that allows them to be mentioned alongside the Dukes and North Carolinas on a consistent level without starting an argument. No matter how beloved this program is by its students, its city and its fans, thereís a sense that thereís more work to be done."

Life is pretty short and tomorrow not guaranteed. Zags time is now to rise up and make it to the promised land. IMO

Thanks
V

Bocco
03-06-2013, 04:22 PM
thanks caduceus - I wouldn't worry about posting any good article you come across

billyberu
03-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Good story. Gonzaga has passionate students and fans, mostly bright too, but probably shouldn't go starting rumbles with Montana fans.

ZagNative
03-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Found lots of Zag gems today, but I'd rather not clutter the board since there seems to be a backlash. This one was too good to pass up sharing. Move it to the media dungeon if I'm breaking the rules (which would be sad since that pretty much kills any discussion)."Media Dungeon! :) My feeling exactly. Keep ignoring The Man, Caduceus!

GoZags
03-06-2013, 04:28 PM
thanks caduceus - I wouldn't worry about posting any good article you come across

I would agree with this statement.

gu03alum
03-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks that was a great read!

Stache
03-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Jerry still yells like he's in the little gym and assumes the refs are still hearing him!

DixieZag
03-06-2013, 05:48 PM
I happened to meet that "UPI Reporter" - I didn't recall his name, we simply just happened to sit near each other at the USF v. GU game in about 1997 in SF. He is a very nice man and boy could he tell some stories.

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Great article... Great find.

sittingon50
03-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Very good. Thanks duece.

GoGU
03-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Good story. Gonzaga has passionate students and fans, mostly bright too, but probably shouldn't go starting rumbles with Montana fans.

UM fans probably fight dirty. :boxing:

billyberu
03-06-2013, 08:00 PM
UM fans probably fight dirty. :boxing:

I got your back.

UberZagFan
03-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Very nice read. Thanks for the post.

ZagNut08
03-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Makes me want a cinnamon toasted snicker doodle bagel from ultimate. I've been back to Spokane once in the past 3 years and it was closed for the weekend...

GrizZAG
03-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Some of those Montanan's are supporters you know... Including one Griz Alum...

Hoopaholic
03-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Ahhhh. I see you came in off the greens to defend the griz reputation.....:adored:

GrizZAG
03-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Had to have my ball retriever re-gripped again so cruzin the board waiting for parts to come in.

Hoop drove all the way over to Palm Springs from LA to watch the BYU / Zag game with my wife and I. I believe we counted 17 Zag fans at the "Beer Hunter" that night. Great night it was.

Hoopaholic
03-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Glad you could count because it all looked blurry to me after all the beers you forced me to drink

Ball retriever? I thought you were perfect with your drives?

rennis
03-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Who is this Booker guy and why haven't I read anything he wrote before? That was amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gamagin
03-07-2013, 07:48 AM
To the author of this piece yesterday.

He said he was thrilled at the reception & overwhelmed by the compliments from so many posters on this board. He added he was familiar with the GUB and noted it can be a tough crowd to please at times.

So as happy as we are with a fine piece of writing and a great read, you all should know the writer is really happy about your excellent reception, too.

Thanks.

gamagin
03-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Jerry still yells like he's in the little gym and assumes the refs are still hearing him!

lol

rennis
03-07-2013, 10:11 AM
So as happy as we are with a fine piece of writing and a great read, you all should know the writer is grateful for your great reception, too.

Thanks.

How do you know him gamagin? I was sincere in my post above...I love the style and want more.

:beer:

gamagin
03-07-2013, 01:32 PM
How do you know him gamagin? I was sincere in my post above...I love the style and want more. :beer:

once. He called me out of the blue. He's been in the craft about five years. I had not read his stuff before but will look for his signer in the future.

Here's a link to the Inlander, per your request. It is a free weekly magazine with 100,000 plus circulation. Hits the stands every Thursday in EWash, northern Idaho and W Montana, as I understand it.

You can also get a mail subscription cheap. In any event, the Zag story and the Inlander info is right here for all to peruse.

I noticed ZagNative has already posted a comment after the article. Good job, ZN, as always. Those of you so inclined can also leave a message if you like.

http://www.inlander.com/spokane/index.php

rennis
03-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks J