PDA

View Full Version : WCC Announces All-Conference Players

ZagNative
03-05-2013, 10:49 AM
A good day for the Zags, a very good day indeed. WCC Basketball video (http://campusinsiders.com/network/wcc/videos/2205234633001)

tlark420
03-05-2013, 10:51 AM
MIKE HART taking home DPOY! Well deserved..and I knew they werent leavin KP off 1st team honors!

KStyles
03-05-2013, 10:51 AM
2012-13 West Coast Conference Player of the Year
Kelly Olynyk, Jr., F, Gonzaga

2012-13 West Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Year
Mike Hart, Sr., G, Gonzaga

2012-13 West Coast Conference Newcomer of the Year
Stacy Davis, Fr., F, Pepperdine

2012-13 West Coast Conference Coach of the Year
Mark Few, Gonzaga

2012-13 ALL-WEST COAST CONFERENCE TEAM

Brandon Davies Sr. F BYU
Matthew Dellavedova Sr. G Saint Mary's
Cole Dickerson Jr. F San Francisco
Kevin Foster Sr. G Santa Clara
Elias Harris Sr. F Gonzaga
Tyler Haws So. G BYU
Anthony Ireland Jr. G Loyola Marymount
Kelly Olynyk Jr. F Gonzaga
Kevin Pangos So. G Gonzaga
Marc Trasolini Sr. F Santa Clara

Honorable Mention
Christopher Anderson (San Diego); Jordan Baker (Pepperdine); Gary Bell Jr. (Gonzaga); Stacy Davis (Pepperdine); Johnny Dee (San Diego); Cody Doolin (San Francisco); Stephen Holt (Saint Mary's); Lorne Jackson (Pepperdine); Ryan Nicholas (Portland)

2012-13 ALL-WEST COAST CONFERENCE FRESHMAN TEAM

Stacy Davis F Pepperdine
Tim Derksen F San Francisco
Avry Holmes G San Francisco
Przemek Karnowski C Gonzaga
Jito Kok C San Diego

http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030513aab.html

TacomaZAG
03-05-2013, 11:00 AM
And the awards keep coming........

Think about this for a minute: Mike Hart goes from watching the games from the student section to the conference DPOY on the #1 ranked team in the country. Unbelievable........

Congrats to all, well deserved honors acheived through hard work and perserverance.

Go ZAGS

TerpZag
03-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Congratulations to Kelly Olynyk, Mike Hart, Mark Few, Elias Harris, Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell Jr., Przemek Karnowski and all the rest of the Gonzaga players, coaches and staff...Wonderful recognition for a great season!

:000tens:

Zaglaw
03-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Wow! Every Zag starter honored! Congrats!

Kiddwell
03-05-2013, 11:29 AM

Think about this for a minute: Mike Hart goes from watching the games from the student section to the conference DPOY on the #1 ranked team in the country. Unbelievable........

Congrats to all, well deserved honors acheived through hard work and perserverance.

Go ZAGS

Mike Hart, especially -- Pretty wonderful.

:]

cjm720
03-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Congrats!!!!

Bocco
03-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Go ZAGS

Think about it for a minute: Mike Hart goes from people posting on this board that we can't win with him starting at the 3, or getting significant minutes at the 3 to the conference DPOY.... seems that some of our opinions may have been in wrong.

Congratulations to Kelly, Mike and coach Few, Elias, Kevin, Przemek ... heck congrats to the whole team.

UberZagFan
03-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Congrats! Congrats! Wow. Pretty much a clean sweep. Uber couldn't have voted better himself.

DADoZAG
03-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Think about it for a minute: Mike Hart goes from people posting on this board that we can't win with him starting at the 3, or getting significant minutes at the 3 to the conference DPOY.... seems that some of our opinions may have been in wrong.

:agreed:

Embarrassingly, I fit into that category.

Sometimes I love it when I'm wrong (but not very often).

Go ZAGS! TNP!

gamagin
03-05-2013, 11:42 AM

Go ZAGS

well said. makes the Rudy story seem incomplete.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Rudy played in one play. Mike Hart is winning championships.

This was a great team effort. Those are individual awards and are well-deserved, but the guys on the bench certainly helped.

john montana
03-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Congrats all!

gamagin
03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
I think this pretty fairly reflects what happened with us this year.

Hart is well-deserved icing for these awards. And THE story of the year, nationally as well as regionally, for every basketball player and wannabe of all ages.

zag67
03-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Congrats to all of the team and coaches. All of you helped Few and the award teammates to get the awards. Yes KO, KP, Elias, GB, Hart and Karnowski deserved their awards but it was the team that helped them win the games.

Congrats and see you in Vegas.

misszigzag
03-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Wow, congrats to the Zags!

Love seeing Mike Hart's name up there.

timgozags
03-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I used to criticize Mark Fews for using MH instead of Manny. This year, I realized that I don't know anything about basketball :(.
Congrats to Mark Fews, MH and the rest of the team.

HillBillyZag
03-05-2013, 11:59 AM
I cannot disagree with a single recipient of this year's WCC Honors. Therefore, it was a great job. My Hartiest congratulations to ALL the young men, especially our beloved Zags!!

Birddog
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Great news. I do feel a little sorry that Rem didn't get some recognition for his three tar.

Once and Future Zag
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure PK really should have been on the Freshman team...given his very limited minutes and stats in WCC Play. Maybe Tollefson from USF in his place?

Sarenyon
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Just amazing. I was more emotional about Hart DPOY than the number one ranking (that had some build-up). Simply incredible. Congrats to the guys and the whole team. What a ride! Let's keep it going!

Hoopaholic
03-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Nice Job Zags..........another WOW kinda day

exclusivelee
03-05-2013, 01:08 PM

Congratulations to Kelly, Mike and coach Few, Elias, Kevin, Przemek ... heck congrats to the whole team.

That's way I call dominating the WCC!

Mike Hart contributes in so many ways without scoring, especially defensively and picking up the garbage on the offensive end. I'm glad we have him.

Blitzing-Zag
03-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Congrats! Very well deserved honors right there!

sdzag
03-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Has a former walk on every won an individual WCC Award before?

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Has a former walk on every won an individual WCC Award before?

I believe Mark Spink and Mike Nilson were former walk on players who won the DPOY award. I could be wrong.

bigblahla
03-05-2013, 01:38 PM

Not me. :D

Congrats to all.

Go!! Zags!!!

77Zag
03-05-2013, 01:45 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well done Zags -- well done to all who voted. I think this was pretty much right on.

Go Zags - Beat Portland/LMU/USF/SCU !!!!

Kiddwell
03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Great news. I do feel a little sorry that Rem didn't get some recognition for his three tar.

Whatta 'bout Rem's becoming a YouTube Three-Tar International Sensation? :D

UberZagFan
03-05-2013, 01:54 PM
I believe Mark Spink and Mike Nilson were former walk on players who won the DPOY award. I could be wrong.

Spink in '01 and Nilson on '00 (same year GU got snubbed in POY).

Jazzgirl_127
03-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Congrats to all those honored!

Hart is well-deserved icing for these awards. And THE story of the year, nationally as well as regionally, for every basketball player and wannabe of all ages.

I remember in 2010, as I was driving to the airport to see the Zags play in Vegas I was listening to the radio and someone began to wax poetic about Duquesne's graduating point guard. After several members of the basketball team had been injured in a random shooting on campus, he tried out for the team, and was given a spot as a walk on, he eventually earned playing time and a scholarship, and then a starting spot...even without following the Dukes, it was the kind of story that brought a tear to my eye. Little did I know that when we got to Vegas there would be a walk on freshman on the Zags bench that would accomplish just that and so much more, for the #1 ranked team in the country no less. This Zag team's hard work and loyalty to the program and eachother makes me so very proud to be a fan!

sittingon50
03-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Well, looking at all those honerees I'm guessing there are a couple of WCC fan forums that I should probably stay away from, lest I get sucked into the vortex!!

:boxing:

Zageist
03-05-2013, 02:21 PM
all well deserved.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Spink in '01 and Nilson on '00 (same year GU got snubbed in POY).

All of those individual records are shown here. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/west/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/MBB12-13records.pdf

Start at page 26.

DixieZag
03-05-2013, 02:28 PM
If anyone is handy with writing screen plays there is a ready made story, right here. Of course, how it ends is still up in the air for Mike Hart and the team.

Nahh, Hollywood would never buy it - - too far fetched.

zaguarxj
03-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Well, looking at all those honerees I'm guessing there are a couple of WCC fan forums that I should probably stay away from, lest I get sucked into the vortex!!

:boxing:
Is that guy still creating "hype machine" threads or did he slink into the shadows?

Birddog
03-05-2013, 03:26 PM

You'd think the coaches would have taken a cue from that and given him a special award.

Mantua
03-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Congratulations to all Zags receiving honors. The WCC did right by them this year.

rijman
03-05-2013, 04:23 PM
If anyone is handy with writing screen plays there is a ready made story, right here. Of course, how it ends is still up in the air for Mike Hart and the team.

Nahh, Hollywood would never buy it - - too far fetched.
Win it all and this would be a great movie. You talk about rags to riches, starting his college career in the stands to finishing with the trophy...

Almost forgot, congrats to KO and Mike, well deserved.

Vanzagger
03-05-2013, 04:41 PM

Keep rocking it!

RenoZag
03-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Is that guy still creating "hype machine" threads or did he slink into the shadows?

Nope, he's still posting from his Mom's basement

CarolinaZagFan
03-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Awesome stuff! Congrats to everyone! Keep it up!

NotoriousZ
03-07-2013, 06:26 PM
:clap::cheers::clap:

2012-13 West Coast Conference Player of the Year
Kelly Olynyk, Jr., F, Gonzaga

2012-13 West Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Year
Mike Hart, Sr., G, Gonzaga

2012-13 West Coast Conference Newcomer of the Year
Stacy Davis, Fr., F, Pepperdine

2012-13 West Coast Conference Coach of the Year
Mark Few, Gonzaga

2012-13 ALL-WEST COAST CONFERENCE TEAM

Brandon Davies Sr. F BYU
Matthew Dellavedova Sr. G Saint Mary's
Cole Dickerson Jr. F San Francisco
Kevin Foster Sr. G Santa Clara
Elias Harris Sr. F Gonzaga
Tyler Haws So. G BYU
Anthony Ireland Jr. G Loyola Marymount
Kelly Olynyk Jr. F Gonzaga
Kevin Pangos So. G Gonzaga
Marc Trasolini Sr. F Santa Clara

Honorable Mention
Christopher Anderson (San Diego); Jordan Baker (Pepperdine); Gary Bell Jr. (Gonzaga); Stacy Davis (Pepperdine); Johnny Dee (San Diego); Cody Doolin (San Francisco); Stephen Holt (Saint Mary's); Lorne Jackson (Pepperdine); Ryan Nicholas (Portland)

2012-13 ALL-WEST COAST CONFERENCE FRESHMAN TEAM

Stacy Davis F Pepperdine
Tim Derksen F San Francisco
Avry Holmes G San Francisco
Przemek Karnowski C Gonzaga
Jito Kok C San Diego

http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030513aab.html

Malastein
03-07-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure PK really should have been on the Freshman team...given his very limited minutes and stats in WCC Play. Maybe Tollefson from USF in his place?

I'd agree that he probably got it based on his future potential. I think the coaches asked themselves which freshmen they'd really want down the line, and he's an obvious choice with a nod to who he is backing up.

Pangos is probably one of the last guys to make the list, but he's been solid this year. I'm hoping he can dial in his shooting for next year, since I get the feeling he'll have a poor shooting night in our NCAA tournament loss(crow to be eaten if we win it all).

Reborn
03-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Congrats to Mark Few, Kelly Olynyk, Elias Harris, Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell and Mike Hart. Pretty cool. Our whole starting five was awarded and honored. They certainly all derseve it. I'm so proud of our Zags. Special shout out to Kelly Olynyk because the there was alot of talent in the WCC this year. I think more than ever. Every member of the all conference team, imo, are very good players. And I think to beat out Delly, from St Mary's is a great achievment. And Keven and Elias, first team as well. Wow!!!!! And you guys deserve it. Next year for you, Gary for sure. Got tears in my eyes again tonight. I'm just so proud of all you guys, man. I will always remember this team as a band of brothers. And guys, take us to the top.

Love you all like a brother or son.

Go Zags!!!