Here's the GUB's gift for this historic day: How do YOU feel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamagin
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Here's the GUB's gift for this historic day: How do YOU feel ?

AP & USAToday/ESPN name Gonzaga the number one college basketball team in the nation today.

It's a first for the Zags and has turned us fans all into giddy kids who have lived to witness this great moment in the annals of Gonzaga University basketball. And this could be just the beginning of an historic run.

But this bright, shining, moment, today, is epic. The Zags have been impressing the world as the little basketball team that annually took on the world -- and won, more often than not. Today, the whole world must stop and examine this nugget with fresh eyes. It has been named the best of the best. This designation demands attention. scrutiny. Admiration from peers.

So what will they see and what will they say and learn. The Zags have become a powerhouse in the smallish WCC league they play in, but they have also become a darling of millions of pure basketball fans around the world as they have repeatedly walked onto the hardwood anywhere and anytime and taken on the Goliaths of college basketball.

Seldom, ever, is a Gonzaga game boring. It is more like an event. A happening. Basketball fans know and anticipate and are generally rewarded, if not delighted or crushed, whenever the Bulldogs take the floor. Like the Butler game this season. Either way the odds it will be unforgettable are high.

But win or lose, the games and the endings have often wound up as ESPN classic games, still shown worldwide. I watched the NCAA 2006 GU-UCLA game a few years ago from my room in London. Don't ask what happened.
    It still hurts like it was yesterday.

And now, after a week of speculation and anguish for the closest of caring fans, the possibility unfolded that the Zags could and should be voted number one in the nation.

It wasn't JUST because they won their two games, but it was also because the would be compeition, the numbers 1, 3, 4 & 5 teams in last week's poll,all lost one of their two games.

Sure, there was no one left in the top five to fight over. It was addition by subtraction to everyone who picks Duke, or Indiana. and goes to sleep until the dance.

But not to us Zags fans. We've done our math. We've waited our turns. We've heard the strength of schedule canard for a dozen years.

This time, this week, was different. We won and everyone else lost. There was NO WAY the coaches (USAToday/ESPN or sportswriters - AP) could ignore us.

They were all boxed in, not by all the biases, prejudices, punditry, contract affiliations and allegiances that go back to the days of Naismith and the peach basket, but by all those pesky facts.

GU was the best team because it has won more games. And lost less. Two to be exact.

The wins included a broad cross section of wins before the league started, and ended with a 16 game sweep of the WCC, just for added emphasis. Those who still wanted to take out their microscopes, they might note that at least one of the two games GU lost was a fluke play and a classic game in either event.

So just like the Zags that have been traveling the nation playing everyone over and over, it was time, this week, to stop, take a snapshot of the season up to this point, and decide who deserved to be number one.

It became clear it was the Zags --clearly and decisively -- not because they were the last team standing, as some suggested. They are the last team standing because they keep on winning.

Coach Mark Few has been advising everyone to stop and smell the roses over this team and it's accomplishments. He said he would be happy to be ranked number one because it's something that has never happened in this team and school's storied history.

He added there were other goals he and this team and Gonzaga University have not achieved. Three of them, a first seed, a Final four and a national championship, are possibilities as well.

But first things first. First it will be attempting to win the WCC tournament in Las Vegas this weekend. Because of the nature of this conference, the way the teams are so familiar with each other and can game their own and our own systems at times, this tourney could involve more epic battles.

Such is the nature of Gonzaga basketball. Given the road this team has traveled, from relative obscurity to national and then worldwide recognition and attention, the Zags have become used to being in the limelight under pressure.

But, for a few bright, shiny, moments, I suggest we all just sit back and enjoy the words as they take on their meaning: Gonzaga University's men's basketball team is ranked number one in the nation.

We're Number ONE !
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

How do I feel ?

There's certainly a spring in my step. . .

GO ZAGS ! BEAT 'EM ALL !
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• hooter73
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2008

Meh, go win some games. Id rather have a #1 Seed. Its maybe good for recruiting but all things told, we just went undefeated in conference and the farther we go in the Tournament, the #1 ranking is interchangeable with 1-5.

But I wont say that its not pretty freakin sweet.

Comment

• Birddog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

How do YOU feel ?
        Well, low "T" is not a problem.
        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
        All mimsy were the borogoves,
        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Walkin on air.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Ekrub
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
            Solid.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2008

Rather studly now that I think about it....
              "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• bartruff1
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2010

Not to be argumentative, but IMHO being ranked #1 is a bigger accomplishment than the seeding...1-4 seeding will not bother me...but to be ranked the top team in the Nation is a historic accomplishment...very few small schools have even done that...

Comment

• gamagin
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

to put it in perspective

this is the first time in 125 years.
                  Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                  Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                  Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• DZ
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
                    That Low-T isn't a problem for some members?
                    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

Tears of joy roll down my face, mixed in together with a broad smile.
                      Feeling proud to be a Zag, but feeling prouder of Mark Few, his staff and the team who took on each team one at a time, until the last game of the schedule with Portland. Cheers to the team who fought every battle, and brought home so many victories. go zags!

Let's remember the drum roll: One game at a time. One game at a time. One game at a time. That's what got us here, and that drum beat will take us forward into the future.

Go Zags!!!
                      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Reborn
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
                        My son told me this morning that this is the first team from the state of Washington who has been ranked #1 for more than 100 years.
                        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
                          You using that stuff that you apply under the armpits?

After hearing all of the potential side effects named in the commercial, I'd rather take my chances on my eating regimen:

Amazing how almonds and oatmeal are so good for us, in so many ways!!!

Comment

• Birddog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                            You using that stuff that you apply under the armpits?

After hearing all of the potential side effects named in the commercial, I'd rather take my chances on my eating regimen:

Amazing how almonds and oatmeal are so good for us, in so many ways!!!
                            Surely you jest, I'm a Zag and the vicarious effects of the BB Zag's Performance is just a supplemental bonus! Ooops, I almost mis-spelled that last word.
                            Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                            Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                            All mimsy were the borogoves,
                            And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• rijman
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2009

Thanks gamagin, great post. I am thrilled for this Zags team, they have accomplished things no other team before them has ever done with the possibility of crossing more accomplishments off the list, as Few might say. I am also thrilled for the Zags Nation, everyone who considers themselves a Zags fan now and those no longer with us rooting from high above. A great day for all Zags fans.
                              It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X