PDA

View Full Version : From Jason Bay & the Seattle Mariners

webspinnre
03-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Posted on both their twitter and facebook feeds:

Seattle Mariners ‏@Mariners

Congrats to @ZagMBB and @GonzagaBulldogs on being ranked No. 1. Jason Bay was pretty excited about his Zags! http://twitpic.com/c8nmjc

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/740133336.jpg?key=24483264&Expires=1362420244&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=phI3MWK~dJlfY9waSK1G1JkoMqNHmKnPbGC3-SROz5PrHvxa2slpeqkif4ftlopqAmJ~DmNWn7t5Vv-~wS9s733glTpkeKo5llLcJ1FDUALgvILs3n3CH~TScZKg7cxIY xj8KfV1WWZFpQm6~Hd2taWFgnsi3z2jIlFmittYE~M_

UberZagFan
03-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Very cool. Hope he makes the squad. Seems a lot of people forget that Bay is GU's most successful pro athlete to come out of GU since Stocks.

JLGutrocks
03-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Moreso than the new Florida Marlins coach?

Zagnailler
03-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Bay won rookie of the year with the pirates, ate up Fenway then signed a big contract withe Mets, then was knocked for a loop with concussions. Hope he is fully recovered and does well with the M's.

willandi
03-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Steven Ames won the Dodger "Idol" award this spring! Best rookie song and/or dance in the Dodger spring training camp. He's still at AA Chatanooga, but is on the 40 man roster. Maybe this is the year that another Zag reaches the Major Leagues!

soccerdud
03-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Very cool. Hope he makes the squad. Seems a lot of people forget that Bay is GU's most successful pro athlete to come out of GU since Stocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Ching

over a decade in the MLS, currently a player-coach.

7 years as a member of team USA.

300+ career goals.

Ching is competive with (and probably tops Bay) in every way except $$$. this is not a knock on Bay.

UberZagFan
03-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Yup, more so than Redmond. Redmond had a solid MLB career for more than a decade but was essentially a good backup catcher and not much more. Comparable to what Ronnie will end up being (but as a backup catcher he sees more time than Ronnie will just due to nature of the game). Bay was ROY, 3 time All-star and won the silver slugger in 2009. Some (AR?) will argue Brian Ching is just as or more accomplished at the pro level than Bay but Uber doesn't count soccer.

JLGutrocks
03-04-2013, 11:54 AM
I know. Just wanted to give some props to Mike.

UberZagFan
03-04-2013, 11:55 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Ching

over a decade in the MLS, currently a player-coach.

7 years as a member of team USA.

300+ career goals.

Ching is competive with (and probably tops Bay) in every way except $$$. this is not a knock on Bay.

This was posted as Uber was typing that last post. He knew it was coming. :)

Oregonzagnut
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
I wonder who the most "important" or influential person is from Gonzaga? (we all are important)

Tom Foley? Bing Crosby? John Stockton? Burgess? Any others?

Blitzing-Zag
03-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Very cool

MDABE80
03-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Too bad the New England Journal is less regarded tha the Sport Mags. ;)

Robzagnut
03-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Moreso than the new Florida Marlins coach?

I feel sorry for him. He takes the job and weeks later they trade the whole team away.

UberZagFan
03-04-2013, 12:31 PM
I wonder who the most "important" or influential person is from Gonzaga? (we all are important)

Foley, like Crosby, attended but did not graduate from GU. There's Carl Pohlad who attended GU for a short stint and then went on to make billions. There's Gregoire who attended GU Law and then went on to be WA state's first female AG and then a two-term governor. There's Joe Albi, graduate of Gonzaga College, who went onto a great career and Spokane sports/civic leader. There's Ysursa, the Secretary of State for Idaho. There's Father Spitzer who led GU to the place it is at today. There's all the sports guys with Stockton leading the list.

And then of course, there's Uber, GU '92/GU Law '96.

rawkmandale
03-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Foley, like Crosby, attended but did not graduate from GU. There's Carl Pohlad who attended GU for a short stint and then went on to make billions. There's Gregoire who attended GU Law and then went on to be WA state's first female AG and then a two-term governor. There's Joe Albi, graduate of Gonzaga College, who went onto a great career and Spokane sports/civic leader. There's Ysursa, the Secretary of State for Idaho. There's Father Spitzer who led GU to the place it is at today. There's all the sports guys with Stockton leading the list.

And then of course, there's Uber, GU '92/GU Law '96.

Father Spitzer is my favorite off this list, but it is a very good list, tho I'm certain there are many more worthy individuals.

LongIslandZagFan
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM

Ray Flahtery - Pro Football HOF

Tony "The Gray Ghost of Gonzaga" Canadeo - football great for the Packers

UberZagFan
03-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Ray Flahtery - Pro Football HOF

Tony "The Gray Ghost of Gonzaga" Canadeo - football great for the Packers

One of Uber's fantasy football teams is "Canadeo's Ghost". . .needless to say, no one ever get's the connection (let alone the play on words).

FuManShoes
03-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Bol Kong.

rawkmandale
03-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Lost in the glitter is the fact that the Mariners have won 10 straight Cactus League games, and are smacking home runs like crazy. They clobbered Colorado today 16-6. Jason Bay effect? Winning Gonzaga attitude? Go M's!

229SintoZag
03-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Too bad the New England Journal is less regarded tha the Sport Mags. ;)

MD

You're too humble. Perhaps not everyone here knows what you've done in medicine. I do. And though we disagree politically, I count you in the same league as Stockton in hoops or Bing in entertainment.

UberZagFan
03-05-2013, 10:52 AM
MD

You're too humble. 229

Yeah, no kidding.

Let Uber add "MDABE80, GU grad '76?, published NEJM, '91?, as well as too many other publications to list, not to mention at least a decades of posts on this board and its predecessors.

Also, you can check out http://www.gonzaga.edu/beinspired/joinus/zags.asp which has all the alums from the commercials we see during the games.

229SintoZag
03-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Yeah, no kidding.

Let Uber add "MDABE80, GU grad '76?, published NEJM, '91?, as well as too many other publications to list, not to mention at least a decades of posts on this board and its predecessors.

Also, you can check out http://www.gonzaga.edu/beinspired/joinus/zags.asp which has all the alums from the commercials we see during the games.

The best work Abe did was in the NEJM in 1980 as a plucky young cardiologist nobody had heard of from Spokane, Washington. Come on. All fans know this.

UberZagFan
03-05-2013, 11:43 AM
The best work Abe did was in the NEJM in 1980 as a plucky young cardiologist nobody had heard of from Spokane, Washington. Come on. All fans know this.

So Uber got the date wrong?

wiszag
03-05-2013, 11:53 AM
I've read some stories from a few people that knew the Gray Ghost of Gonzaga while he served on the Packers board of directors. Everyone says Mr. Canadeo was one of the nicest, most thoughtful people who ever served in that capacity.

By the way Uber, we graduated in the same law class.

Norcalzag
03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Carl Maxey certainly should be part of this discussion. He was not only an NCAA boxing champion at Gonaga (leading Zas to ther first NCAA team title) but went on to become a highly successful attorney and was one of the Northest's most important civil rights activits. He won a very significant fair-housing case in the 1960s, with Judg Ralph Foley ruling that a landlord could not refuse to rent a home to somone simply because they are black. (The "someone" in this case was a fellow named Frank Burgess, who at the time was a GU law student and an assistant basketball coach at GU.)

Also: Shirley Johnson, a 1969 GU grad who went on to share the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize for her work as an inspector with the International Atomic Energy Agency.
Along with former Washington AG and Gov. Chris Gregoire, how about Barbara Madsen, Mary Fairhurst and Debra Stephens, all members of the Washington State Supreme Court?
Or Father Francis Corkery, S.J., a GU grad who at age 31 became the youngest college presidet in the U.S. (at Seattle U), then was president of Gonzaga from 1945 to 1957, leading GU through a time of significant growth and change.

rawkmandale
03-05-2013, 12:13 PM
I think one of the news articles mentioned Sherman Alexie. He did not graduate, but went there on scholarship 1985-1987. Frankly, I think Sherman has had a much bigger impact on culture/society than many of the others mentioned.

229SintoZag
03-05-2013, 12:26 PM
I've read some stories from a few people that knew the Gray Ghost of Gonzaga while he served on the Packers board of directors. Everyone says Mr. Canadeo was one of the nicest, most thoughtful people who ever served in that capacity.

By the way Uber, we graduated in the same law class.

And you guys shared many a beer and may not even know it apparently.

Mike, John. John, Mike.

UberZagFan
03-05-2013, 12:32 PM
And you guys shared many a beer and may not even know it apparently.

Mike, John. John, Mike.

Yeah, I knew. The Badger handle gave it away awhile ago. :D

229SintoZag
03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Carl Maxey certainly should be part of this discussion. He was not only an NCAA boxing champion at Gonaga (leading Zas to ther first NCAA team title) but went on to become a highly successful attorney and was one of the Northest's most important civil rights activits. He won a very significant fair-housing case in the 1960s, with Judg Ralph Foley ruling that a landlord could not refuse to rent a home to somone simply because they are black. (The "someone" in this case was a fellow named Frank Burgess, who at the time was a GU law student and an assistant basketball coach at GU.)

Also: Shirley Johnson, a 1969 GU grad who went on to share the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize for her work as an inspector with the International Atomic Energy Agency.
Along with former Washington AG and Gov. Chris Gregoire, how about Barbara Madsen, Mary Fairhurst and Debra Stephens, all members of the Washington State Supreme Court?
Or Father Francis Corkery, S.J., a GU grad who at age 31 became the youngest college presidet in the U.S. (at Seattle U), then was president of Gonzaga from 1945 to 1957, leading GU through a time of significant growth and change.

Ill give you Stephens and Fairhurst. Not sure I'm proud to have Madsen associated with GU. Ill leave it there.

UberZagFan
03-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Ill give you Stephens and Fairhurst. Not sure I'm proud to have Madsen associated with GU. Ill leave it there.

Definitely Stephens.

Anyone mention Alexie? Pretty sure he is another one of the "attended but did not graduate" GU alums.

rawkmandale
03-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Definitely Stephens.

Anyone mention Alexie? Pretty sure he is another one of the "attended but did not graduate" GU alums.

Yeah - see the top of this page.

UberZagFan
03-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Yeah - see the top of this page.

Missed that.

zag69
03-05-2013, 04:52 PM
MD

You're too humble. Perhaps not everyone here knows what you've done in medicine........

He's mentioned his article in NEJM a time or two here, along with his giant building near Sacred Heart and his factory in Poland.

wiszag
03-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Aww John, I got it now. For some reason I thought you were elsewhere. There weren't many undergrad and law school guys from GU. I hope all is well.

Thanks Sinto!