PDA

View Full Version : Romar

Snug
08-10-2007, 01:04 AM
This post is in response to a thread that has been moved.

Any criticisms leveled at Romar possess no logical merit. Someone commented that he has not produced results? What do you call a Pac10 regular season championship, a Pac10 Tournament championship, a number 1 seed, and three appearances in the tournament in four years? Also, Washington actually defeated Gonzaga during his tenure. When was the last time anyone accomplished so much in such a short period of time at Washington? Additionally, previous to Romar, no one wanted to play in Seattle, now Washington is listed as a finalist for almost every major west coast recruit. This year, they unfortunately seem to keep going to the wedding as the bridesmaid.

From a statistical perspective (utilizing the ratings from www.teamrankings.com), over the past three seasons, Washington has been better than Gonzaga. It should also be noted, that from a ratings perspective, Washington and Gonzaga were even last year, and that if Washington were in the WCC they would have been in the tournament.

Over the past four seasons, Washington has been a Top 20 team, whereas before then they were in the 60's.

That's what Romar has accomplished and why he was re-signed. The UW doesn't want him even thinking about going anywhere else, and I don't want him to either.

Just as Husky fans must admit the fact the Gonzaga is an established Top 25 program, Zag fans must now face the fact that Washington is a program on the rise, and has also achieved Top 25 status.

23dpg
08-10-2007, 04:51 AM
I started that thread and expressed admiration for Romar. I didn't think the contract should have been extended, but it had less to do with Romar than the principle of rolling over a contract that had more years still on it.

Many people over here, including myself, are still upset with him for backing out of the great rivalry game that UW-GU had become. GU played a lot of great teams during the OOC schedule last year, but few if any matched the intensity of that game.

sittingon50
08-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Washington has been better than Gonzaga..."

And other than those pesky scoreboards, you may well be right.

Zag509
08-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Face it, UW was a flash in the pan, and so is Romar. You guys had all the talent in the world last year and were awful.

Romar is yet to win with his own recruited players, no matter how many stars are next to thier names.

Frazzle
08-10-2007, 07:58 AM
This post is in response to a thread that has been moved.

Any criticisms leveled at Romar possess no logical merit.

I am all for fanaticism, but you have got to be kidding. Romar is the epitome of everything that is wrong with college basketball. He is the coach of a "high major" school and backs out of a in-state series against a perrenial Top-25 team. Of course, his reasons for doing so are quite varied. However, none are justified.

In the final analysis, Romar and the UW simply did not want to lose to Gonzaga. As with many Pac-10 programs that compete with Gonzaga for recruits, the fact that they play in the Pact-10 while Gonzaga plays in the WCC is a major sales pitch. Real or perceived, a loss to the Zags significantly impacts UW's recruiting outside of Seattle.

El Voce
08-10-2007, 08:21 AM
MODS: Can you move this topic? Last time I checked this site said "GU Boards" at the top. Now, back when UW would play us, perhaps there was some valitdity to all the Husky topics on a Gonzaga board. But, given that they lost nearly every year, the Huskies could no longer find room for GU on their schedule. Therefore, I think we should no longer be able to find room for Husky stuff on a GU Board.

longball
08-10-2007, 09:09 AM
I am all for fanaticism, but you have got to be kidding. Romar is the epitome of everything that is wrong with college basketball. He is the coach of a "high major" school and backs out of a in-state series against a perrenial Top-25 team. Of course, his reasons for doing so are quite varied. However, none are justified.

In the final analysis, Romar and the UW simply did not want to lose to Gonzaga. As with many Pac-10 programs that compete with Gonzaga for recruits, the fact that they play in the Pact-10 while Gonzaga plays in the WCC is a major sales pitch. Real or perceived, a loss to the Zags significantly impacts UW's recruiting outside of Seattle.

You need to get over the fact that you have just lost one of one best home games every other year. UW has their approach to scheduling and it differs from GU due to their respective conferences. Both programs are strong and hopefully they will meet in the NCAA's. Your bitterness regarding the scheduling is clouding your judgement regarding Romar's accomlishments.

Frazzle
08-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Longball,

It was a great home and home series and I don't think it should have ended, but I don't think I need to get over anything. I am, and will continue to be, very critical of UW's decision to back out of the series. The only thing worse than ending the series was the alleged justifications given by UW and Romar.

As for Romar's "accomlishments" and my "judgement" being clouded, I disagree. Not making the NITs last year was quite an accomplishment given the talent that Romar had on his team.

JLGutrocks
08-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Here's a good thread about your "hero".

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=4246

lothar98zag
08-14-2007, 11:15 AM
...Yep, Few and several other coaches went overboard... :rolleyes: and not the UW coaches that were breaking rules and ignoring suggestions to "slow down" when it was brought to their attention before it was taken to the NCAA... :rolleyes: X100

former1dog
08-14-2007, 11:54 AM
I love zag fans who refuse to see the actual truth of why UW/Romar discontinued the series and it's all on MARK FEW. You can say all you want how the series benefits the zags and doesn't do much for UW, but the fact of the matter is few went overboard during the heytfelt situation and now there is bad blood, so why would romar want to sign another contract and play against that snake few? Romar honored the contract they had signed a month before the highfelt thing because he is all class. Anyway's, this has been rehashed enough, those close to the situation know this is real reason, you can accept it or not.

Few is a snake because he pointed out to the NCAA that Cameron Dollar was cheating? And, he did it after attempting unsuccessfully to let Romar know with out getting the NCAA involved.

In other words, in your world Few would be a good guy if he were to have been complicit in breaking NCAA rules.

It say that logic reeks!

sittingon50
08-14-2007, 01:31 PM
a.k.a. Karl Rove.

BTW, shouldn't any talk about romar be more correctly placed in the Women's Basketball thread?

zagmantis2001
08-15-2007, 09:00 AM
I never understood the mentality of these UW fans. First of all, Dollar cheated, then initially lied to NCAA investigators about the whole Heytvelt affair and other recruiting violations and Few is somehow the bad guy here? In addition, there were a number of other coaches that contacted Romar including Eastern and WSU to ask him to knock off the illegal contacts before they went to the NCAA. Romar did nothing. Curious way to look at things.

DavyZag
08-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Since when have tattle-tales or snitches been popular? Few didn't do anything "wrong" and clearly Dollar was in violation of NCAA policies, but still... I can understand why some people might see Few as one of the bad guys. I don't, but I see how some could.

kdoggy
08-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Sure he's a chicken and the Dollar flap was ultimately no big deal I guess. I like his personality and he has brought some spunk back to the BOA. As a long suffering ticket holder, its a welcome change.

This last year was a rough one and exposed LoRo as the .500 coach he was before he arrived. He will not x and o another team to death but he's a pretty good coach and i tend to think that he will have the huskies playing pretty well next year. he's certainly not one of the top coaches in the country, but he's defintely a good coach. He's no Few, Izzo, Coach K, imo

dpouley
08-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Face it, UW was a flash in the pan, and so is Romar. You guys had all the talent in the world last year and were awful.

Romar is yet to win with his own recruited players, no matter how many stars are next to thier names.

That is a complete falsehood perpetrated by fans with no knowledge of basketball.