PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sports: Zags #1!

ZagNative
03-03-2013, 04:02 PM
I've thought Goodman and Parrish were slow to tout the Zags this year, but not this time!

I take this as a positive sign that the AP and Coaches polls will follow suit.

Top 25 and 1 (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21805843/updated-top-25-and-one):

By Gary Parrish and Jeff Goodman

The Top 25 (and one) will be updated on the college basketball page shortly.

Here's how it will look:

1. Gonzaga
Record: 29-2
Last week's ranking: No. 3

2. Duke
Record: 25-4
Last week's ranking: No. 4

3. Indiana
Last week's ranking: No. 1

4. Kansas
Last week's ranking: No. 5

5. Georgetown
Record: 23-4
Last week's ranking: No. 6

6. Michigan
Record: 24-5
Last week's ranking: No. 2

7. Michigan State
Record: 22-7
Last week's ranking: No. 7

8. Louisville
Last week's ranking: No. 13

9. Miami
Record: 23-5
Last week's ranking: No. 9

10. Kansas State
Last week's ranking: No. 12

11. New Mexico
Last week's ranking: No. 16

12. Florida
Last week's ranking: No. 10

13. Marquette
Record: 21-7
Last week's ranking: No. 20

14. Oklahoma State
Record: 22-6
Last week's ranking: No. 14

15. Ohio State
Record: 21-7
Last week's ranking: No. 15

16. Syracuse
Last week's ranking: No. 11

17. Saint Louis
Last week's ranking: No. 18

18. UCLA
Last week's ranking: Unranked

19. Oregon
Record: 23-6

20. Arizona
Last week's ranking: No. 8

21. Notre Dame
Last week's ranking: No. 21

22. Pittsburgh
Record: 23-7
Last week's ranking: No. 22

23. VCU
Last week's ranking: No. 24

24. Wisconsin
Record: 20-9
Last week's ranking: No. 17

25. North Carolina
Record: 21-8
Last week's ranking: No. 26

26. UNLV

In: UCLA, Oregon, UNLV
Out: Butler, Connecticut, Memphis

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Awwwwwwww yyyeeeeeeeaaaah!!

Oregonzagnut
03-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Definitely a good omen since this "poll" seemed to always have us a couple spots lower than the other polls.

Wow!! After reading today all the skepticism that the nation won't validate ANY mid-major, this gives me hope.

Section 116
03-03-2013, 04:11 PM
No St Mary's love there. Are they on probation? Should be sorry I said that but I'm not!

VaBeachZAG
03-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Also, in a CBS fan poll, GU way ahead of Indiana and Duke for #1. Looks like a whole buch of folks are finally buying into the Zags!

ZagNative
03-03-2013, 04:17 PM
From twitter:
Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS

Lots of questions about Duke at No. 2. Here's the deal: Blue Devils are undefeated with Ryan Kelly, and he's back. We almost put them No. 1.

novazag2
03-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah, to vote otherwise would be shameless.

Reborn
03-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks for posting Zag Native. I must be honest. When I saw that Gonzaga's name was next to the #1, and at the top of all the names of those great universities, I had a few tears rolling down my cheeks. Wow!!! Unbelievable, but deserved. Way to go Zags!

Go Zags!!!

Section 116
03-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Regarding Parrish's quote about Duke and Kelly. The poll should reflect your body of work and not who did or did not play. Injuries are part of the game. That being said I would not be surprised to see the same logic applied to the AP and USA Today Coaches poll when they come out.

siliconzag
03-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for posting Zag Native. I must be honest. When I saw that Gonzaga's name was next to the #1, and at the top of all the names of those great universities, I had a few tears rolling down my cheeks. Wow!!! Unbelievable, but deserved. Way to go Zags!

Go Zags!!!

You are true blue. What a tender hearted post! You are as special as the zags!

Zagcity
03-03-2013, 04:37 PM
When I saw that Gonzaga's name was next to the #1, and at the top of all the names of those great universities, I had a few tears rolling down my cheeks. Wow!!!

Ah sucks :D

gu03alum
03-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Hell yeah!!!!

ZagLawGrad
03-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Nice for the Zags.

But completely ridiculous for Duke---only second place in its own conference. The love fest reigns on.

gu03alum
03-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Nice for the Zags.

But completely ridiculous for Duke---only second place in its own conference. The love fest reigns on.

I agree that they are one of the top teams with Kelly back.

Zagger
03-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Go Zags! :-)

krozman
03-03-2013, 05:31 PM
How does mich state lose 3 straight games and NOT move down a single spot in this poll?

zagamatic
03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
the whole "Kelly" thing for Duke got me thinking. Nobody has even mentioned that many members of our team were down with flu like symptoms at the beginning of the year and yet we still managed to win those games even without our team at full strength. Granted, I don't recall anybody actually missing a game for us because of that. But I know that several members were not feeling up to their top playing potential. I wonder how many of the voters actually knew about that or considered any of that?

Hoopaholic
03-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Oh my......what an amazing tribute to zag nation....now focus on wcc

MickMick
03-03-2013, 06:15 PM
the whole "Kelly" thing for Duke got me thinking. Nobody has even mentioned that many members of our team were down with flu like symptoms at the beginning of the year and yet we still managed to win those games even without our team at full strength. Granted, I don't recall anybody actually missing a game for us because of that. But I know that several members were not feeling up to their top playing potential. I wonder how many of the voters actually knew about that or considered any of that?

Every team gets the flu.

caduceus
03-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Here's the official list: CBSSports.com Top 25 (and one) (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/top25)

Mantua
03-03-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm so happy for the team! It's a big deal to be ranked #1 at any time during a basketball career.

Good looking out, Zag Native.

RenoZag
03-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Why We Ranked Gonzaga # 1 (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21805936/heres-why-we-ranked-gonzaga-no-1)

All Mark Few can do. . .is schedule as aggressively as possible outside of the league and then do well against that schedule, and he did both this season.

Gonzaga played non-league games with Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Butler, Illinois, Baylor, West Virginia and Davidson, and the Zags finished the non-league portion of their schedule with a 13-2 record. They went 5-0 against the Big 12 -- and not just the bottom of the Big 12. That 5-0 mark came against the schools currently first (Kansas State), third (Oklahoma State), fourth (Oklahoma), sixth (Baylor) and seventh (West Virginia) in the Big 12 standings, and four of the wins were by at least 15 points. Also worth noting: Gonzaga is 3-0 against top-25 RPI schools, 5-2 against top-50 RPI schools and 11-2 against top-100 RPI schools with zero losses outside of the top 50.

So, yes, Gonzaga is No. 1 in our Top 25 (and one) for the first time in school history.

And the Zags deserve it.

Because they've earned it on the court.

Mantua
03-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Why We Ranked Gonzaga # 1 (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21805936/heres-why-we-ranked-gonzaga-no-1)

Their article makes perfect sense.

combatcorpsmangulaw
03-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Gonzaga's Basketball program is Number 1, in more ways than one.

We're now GON ZAG A from Spokane.

Zaags and Spo KANE are sounds from the past.

Congrats Zags!!!!!

Bushman
03-03-2013, 07:12 PM

Go Zags!!!

You desrve to feel that way Reborn. I've really enjoyed reading your posts these past 2 years. Let's hope Kevin can help us get to the promised land!

WallaWallaZag
03-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Regarding Parrish's quote about Duke and Kelly. The poll should reflect your body of work and not who did or did not play. Injuries are part of the game. That being said I would not be surprised to see the same logic applied to the AP and USA Today Coaches poll when they come out.

i'm not sure there is a hard and fast rule regarding what the polls should reflect...the polls tend to reflect who has lost in the past week.

as an aside, i really don't have any issues with voters who put indiana or even duke ahead of the zags.

jim77
03-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Well done ZAGS...congrats. Being 1# is an incredible achievement...enjoy the ride,you fellas have earned it.

Section 116
03-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Seth Davis ballott: Seth Davis‏@SethDavisHoops

1. Gonzaga 2. Ind 3. Duke 4. Gtown 5. Miami 6. Kan 7. Lou 8. Fla 9. Mich 10. MichSt 11. KSt 12. New Mex 13. Okl St 14. Syr 15. Ohio St 16. St. Lou 17. Marq 18. Cal 19. Wisc 20. Illinois 21. LaTech 22. Memph 23. Oregon 24. VCU 25. UNC

And the big Duke fan checks in: Dick Vitale‏@DickieV

My VBDI Top 10 are #1 Zags #2 IU #3 KU #4 Hoyas #5 Duke #6 Miami #7 Louisville #8 UM #9 UF # 10 MSU

UberZagFan
03-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Seth really put GU first on his ballot? He's been claiming for weeks now that they would never get higher than 7, then 6, then now 1.

As for Duke and Kelly, not sure how the polls should take into consideration injuries, but you better believe the selection committee does. And after seeing what Kelly did yesterday, Duke may be as strong a 1 seed as IU...despite Lunardi's bracket. If Duke beats V.Tech and @UNC (will be a tough one) and then gets to ACC finals and loses to Miami, then we may have two ACC one seeds, which would suck. Currently, Duke and Miami are 1 and 3 RPI, respectively.

Then you have the B1G, the BEast, KU, FL, etc....jeesh this will get messy during championship week.

Zag79
03-04-2013, 01:02 AM
:000tens: What a special moment, I hope you're all soaking it in like I am right now. The AP Poll is a big deal, hopefully we can say what an accomplishment. Great job Zags!

zag4life2011
03-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Zags at #1 in this poll AND on Seth Davis's ballot (which may be more shocking) is nothing short of a miracle.

I'm surprised the CBS guys dropped Miami down to #9. I was at the game @ Cameron Indoor on Saturday and I can honestly say that there are few teams in the country (Zags included) that could have handled playing in a tough environment as well as that Miami team did. I heard another long-time season ticket holder tell his son that the 36 points that Ryan Kelly dropped on Miami may have been one of the best performances by a player at Cameron Indoor EVER. If it takes that kind of effort for a decent Duke team to win at home, it's hard not to be a believer in Miami. Of course, 6th year seniors help too...

In my mind, Gonzaga, Duke, Miami and Indiana are the top four teams in the country. If you randomly drew names out of a hat it would be hard to argue with the order.

Cheers to hopefully finding out that we are #1 in a few hours! And if we get snubbed... cheers to having motivation to go prove all of the critics wrong when we plow through the field down in Vegas!

JPtheBeasta
03-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Kelly's performance was somewhat of an anomaly. He went something like 7-9from the 3-point line in that game. If Kelly keeps playing like that, Duke will win it all. Does anyone on the committee realistically think that he will continue shooting almost perfectly from the field? Injuries are a part of the game, and they weren't penalized when Kelly went out, and now that he is back they want to vault them back up. I just think a large number of people want to find an excuse to put Duke up there. They will find their way to #1 if they win their conference tourney. It is the Zag TEAM's day in the sun, not Ryan Kelly's.

I would love a shot at Duke on a true neutral court- somewhere other than N. Carolina or MSG, that is.

TexasZagFan
03-04-2013, 06:57 AM
No St Mary's love there. Are they on probation? Should be sorry I said that but I'm not!

They should've received an extra year of probation for their (lack of an) OOC schedule.

TexasZagFan
03-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Kelly's performance was somewhat of an anomaly. He went something like 7-9from the 3-point line in that game. If Kelly keeps playing like that, Duke will win it all. Does anyone on the committee realistically think that he will continue shooting almost perfectly from the field? Injuries are a part of the game, and they weren't penalized when Kelly went out, and now that he is back they want to vault them back up. I just think a large number of people want to find an excuse to put Duke up there. They will find their way to #1 if they win their conference tourney. It is the Zag TEAM's day in the sun, not Ryan Kelly's.

I would love a shot at Duke on a true neutral court- somewhere other than N. Carolina or MSG, that is.

How does Kelly shoot on the road (or neutral courts)?

I agree with Coach K on his concerns about storming the court. Gary Bell Jr. was caught in the after game melee at Butler, and could've really been hurt.

Of course, every road loss in the WCC, with the possible exception of BYU, results in a court stormin'. Glad we went undefeated in conference.

TexasZagFan
03-04-2013, 07:03 AM
Seth really put GU first on his ballot? He's been claiming for weeks now that they would never get higher than 7, then 6, then now 1.

As for Duke and Kelly, not sure how the polls should take into consideration injuries, but you better believe the selection committee does. And after seeing what Kelly did yesterday, Duke may be as strong a 1 seed as IU...despite Lunardi's bracket. If Duke beats V.Tech and @UNC (will be a tough one) and then gets to ACC finals and loses to Miami, then we may have two ACC one seeds, which would suck. Currently, Duke and Miami are 1 and 3 RPI, respectively.

Then you have the B1G, the BEast, KU, FL, etc....jeesh this will get messy during championship week.

I get the feeling that Okie State will have something to say about Kansas' seeding.

JPtheBeasta
03-04-2013, 07:52 AM
How does Kelly shoot on the road (or neutral courts)?

I agree with Coach K on his concerns about storming the court. Gary Bell Jr. was caught in the after game melee at Butler, and could've really been hurt.

Of course, every road loss in the WCC, with the possible exception of BYU, results in a court stormin'. Glad we went undefeated in conference.

Not sure about the shooting on the road. I just would like a chance at revenge against the Dukies, but not at MSG, which is like a second home court to them, and want to avoid a Davidson-like location for a matchup. I am not savvy enough to dig Kelly's road numbers up. I like our matchup with Plumlee and the idea of seeing how their guards play against us.

The court storming is a legit gripe, but it's hard to know if it is sour grapes or not. The SEC angle on that is pretty interesting.

U Zig, I Zag
03-04-2013, 08:07 AM
RE: all the pundits that held the Zags off the top line the last couple weeks:

The likilhood was good that the Zags were gonna drop at SMC - then they didn't and they usually have a slip up on the road - then they didn't and then finishing at BYU in the environment when everyone else lost to (worse!) teams, some at home. At some point they have to tip their hats to the Zags.

Are the Zags the best team in CBB? Probably not. I would lean towards UI or Duke. Can the Zags beat either team? Yes - and the Zags wouldn't have to play the 'giant killer' to do it. That's the major difference between this year's Zags team and the rest of the field and, say, the difference between us and UNC that year they rolled through us in the tourney.