PDA

View Full Version : Column: Postseason should be concern No. 1 for Gonzaga

FuManShoes
03-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Greg Jayne: Postseason should be concern No. 1 for Gonzaga (http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/mar/03/postseason-should-be-concern-no-1-gonzaga/)

Basketball polls are about as accurate as a Rasmussen presidential poll — and about as meaningful. They are the "most popular" of senior class awards — an indication that everybody likes you, but not a predictor of future success.

RenoZag
03-03-2013, 08:10 AM
There have been 14 straight NCAA tournaments, one Elite Eight appearance, five Sweet Sixteens, and 17 tournament victories. Nearly every basketball program in the country should be envious of such a résumé.

"It's much more difficult than the average fan would expect, to get to that level and then stay at that level," Dan Dickau said

But, Dan, GU doesn't have average fans. . . :)

Reborn
03-03-2013, 08:42 AM
No one can convince me that what GU has accomplished this year is't amazing and awesome. They deserve to be #1, and not because of their popularity. Why are you afraid to recognize how good this team has been? If Duke, Indiana, Michigan, Florida or anyone from the big six conference, no one would be saying that they were #1 because of popularity. I've never heard that. But now because it's Gonzaga, yes lil 'ol Gonzaga from the WCC, who could be #1, it's now all about popularity. If it were Duke who was #1, it's all because they are so good and so awesome. But if GU gets it, it's because we're popularity. How could a team from the WCC be that good? I'm sick of it really. I hope we are awarded the #1 place at the top of the polls, and I'm just fine with iot pisssing so many people off.

bigblahla
03-03-2013, 08:59 AM
No one can convince me that what GU has accomplished this year is't amazing and awesome. They deserve to be #1, and not because of their popularity. Why are you afraid to recognize how good this team has been? If Duke, Indiana, Michigan, Florida or anyone from the big six conference, no one would be saying that they were #1 because of popularity. I've never heard that. But now because it's Gonzaga, yes lil 'ol Gonzaga from the WCC, who could be #1, it's now all about popularity. If it were Duke who was #1, it's all because they are so good and so awesome. But if GU gets it, it's because we're popularity. How could a team from the WCC be that good? I'm sick of it really. I hope we are awarded the #1 place at the top of the polls, and I'm just fine with iot pisssing so many people off.

Agree.

Did a little checking. The Big 10 had 6 teams ranked in the top 30 in preseason. The five currently ranked last week and Minnesota at number 30. As a conference they played an OOC of 200+ got to conference and helped build up each others rpi by winning and losing in an encapsulated environment.

Does this mean I think they have no good teams? Hell no but I don't think there is a team in the Big 10 we should fear. They are not the conference of giants. As a conference they did what Bennett has done at SMC gamed the system. They have several good teams and one of our losses was to the Illini but that doesn't mean we can't beat them all one game at a time.

Let the haters hate all I know is this is a damn good Zags team and they will have to be beat to lose again and frankly I don't think they will.

Olynyk is the best big man in the country. Our "D" is as good as it has ever been. We are an offensive juggernaut where the best big man in the country plays 20 minutes a game. One game at a time. I started the countdown at 11 so it's 3 down and 8 to go.

One game at a time.

Go!! Zags!!!

rijman
03-03-2013, 09:05 AM
There's no question in my mind the Zags should be ranked #1, but if that doesn't happen I can live with it just so we get a 1 seed in the NCAA tourney. The 1 seed is the big prize. But, it would be very cool for the Zags and WCC to have a #1 ranked team.

Zagdawg
03-03-2013, 09:10 AM
I agree rijman-- the number 1 ranking would be nice-- but I would rather get a #1 seed in the dance in the West.

All we need to do is win-- we will prove many people wrong.

VaBeachZAG
03-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Book it, if the Zags should win out (I fully expect it), later get jumped over by someone (probably Duke), there will be no 1 seed. At best, we might get the highest 2 seed (which isn't a bad thing at all). If the Zags have any hope of a 1 seed, they need to hold the AP #1 ranking through selection Sunday. As one of the TV talking heads pointed out yesterday, the #1 ranked team has always been given a 1 seed, and so it will be for the Zags if they hold serve. For the Committee to do anything less would severely diminish the stature of the polls, and they are not going to do that!

I still want that #1 ranking through the end of the BB season and the 1 seed prize that goes with it. However, that is going to put tremendous pressure on the team to perform in the tournament; if they should stumble and exit early, the "I told you so" voices will be screaming loudly all over the country.

BJZags
03-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Quote from article: " . . . but a trip to the Final Four would make a more lasting imprint on the college basketball world."

This is what we are really after, and I'd suspect the players agree. The #1 ranking while nicely symbolic, is just a path to a #1 seed that paves the "easiest" way to the FF.

MickMick
03-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Writers setting you up for the big fall.

Too much money at stake.

GU will humiliate them all in the tournament.

TheZagPhish
03-03-2013, 10:51 AM
I'll take this set of problems any day.

mobetta
03-03-2013, 10:55 AM
our criticizers will always be there and they will be justified. The hardest thing to analyze in basketball is how a team's performance against one opponent can be compared to their future performance against a different team. It is just plain hard and no one has nailed it yet, despite brilliant minds and decades of trying.

Therefore, there is no way to know how well this team will do in the tournament. Us basketball fans sure do have a blast trying, don't we? Therefore, until we prove ourselves by making it to a Final Four, they are justified in saying our competition does not measure up. Yes, most of us think that this year is different. I believe it is. I believe this is our year. But, it is just speculation.

Here is a good consolation for what we have accomplished this year: George Mason, Butler, VCU, these teams for the most part came from no where. They had not earned the No 1 ranking during the regular season. Yes, the tournament is probably more important, but consider this: winning the tournament is 3 weeks of greatness, while No 1 ranking at the end of the year is 4 months of greatness. While the strength of our competition is questionable, our consistency is not. Our focus is not. Our chemistry is not. We do have the best record in basketball and the best minds, coaches and journalists, appear ready to give us the honor of a late season No 1 ranking.

We should be proud of this, as we all are, I am sure. Maybe it is harder than winning the tournament. It certainly is different. I know, I know, I want the Final Four, too.

Oregonzagnut
03-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Symbolic or not, rankings mean half popular and half educated opinions. Symbols really are everything. But winning is the greatest symbol. Lets win 8 more games!!!

exclusivelee
03-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I am certain that every game from here on out is a postseason game for us

I'd think the team is putting the postseason a their #1 concern

Crazy
03-03-2013, 11:20 AM
For me the number 1 ranking would be a big achievement especially since it appears at the end of the season, where it doesn't depend on guessing the impact of the rookies and the progress of the players.

Yes winning the damn tourney would be remembered much longer, and most likely also the first f4 BUT the Madness is a mean tournament since it is a one game elemination. And that liek the WCC games, we are mostly the (clear) favorite but winning all is a big achievement since beeing the favorite means often you win 4 out of 5 matches which makes you easily loose a game in march.

You just ened to thing about the wildcats from 2009-10, who are an incredible strong roster lost in the elite 8.

So the AP poll, is probadly not 100% accurate and driven by bias - but it is also a good indicator to rate the succes of a season without the risk that one bad game ruins the whole season.

MickMick
03-03-2013, 11:26 AM
So the AP poll, is probadly not 100% accurate and driven by bias - but it is also a good indicator to rate the succes of a season without the risk that one bad game ruins the whole season.

You totally "get it".

scott257
03-03-2013, 11:45 AM
I have read a couple of articles that drew comparisons to the Oregon State team that achieved a number 1 ranking under Ralph Miller in the early 80's. As an old guy that lived and grew up in Oregon, this is an insulting comparison. It totally discounts the efforts of Gonzaga in their building of a nationally acclaimed program. Ralph Miller was never more than an adequate coach, and his successes were never as sustained as Mark Few has had at Gonzaga. Sports writers that raise the comparison are hacks and their opinions are not worth the paper they might get printed on.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Agree.

Did a little checking. The Big 10 had 6 teams ranked in the top 30 in preseason. The five currently ranked last week and Minnesota at number 30. As a conference they played an OOC of 200+ got to conference and helped build up each others rpi by winning and losing in an encapsulated environment.

Does this mean I think they have no good teams? Hell no but I don't think there is a team in the Big 10 we should fear. They are not the conference of giants. As a conference they did what Bennett has done at SMC gamed the system. They have several good teams and one of our losses was to the Illini but that doesn't mean we can't beat them all one game at a time.

Let the haters hate all I know is this is a damn good Zags team and they will have to be beat to lose again and frankly I don't think they will.

Olynyk is the best big man in the country. Our "D" is as good as it has ever been. We are an offensive juggernaut where the best big man in the country plays 20 minutes a game. One game at a time. I started the countdown at 11 so it's 3 down and 8 to go.

One game at a time.

Go!! Zags!!!

Hi

I think your countdown concept ( 8 to go) and theme really has some inherent value. In other words it creates a great "vibe" for a message board as a highlighted feature as a subject heading post. This object of thought could even be recreated back to six games if necessary at the appropriate time as a safe harbor. So you could in theory play the "eight" or "six" game theme.

As far as the Zags go and this season IMO. Gonzaga is obviously entering uncharted waters with regards to ranking and potential seeding #1. At this point/level (the highest level of speculation college basketball has to offer before March Madness) we are a stranger to America. Everyone knows who the Zags are and know we are good but refuse to accept the fact THIS ELITE PRETENTIOUS PARTY (the best 1 in the world by the way IMO) IS READY TO BE CRASHED by Gonzaga during this years NCAA Tournament. :) It was predictable.

It is analogous to knowing you are good looking, wealthy, compassionate and intelligent in life and dealing with the perpetual haters and those who will live their lives for 1 reason. TO PROTECT their own insecurities by creating a culture of false elitism. Those people/teams who were born into an environment where favored treatment is not a societal right make the most compelling stories.

Coach Few can lead the Zags to the promised land (Atlanta & Beyond) despite his doubters as to whether he is a big game coach. I believe in him.

I love this team. They remind me of someone that I know.

Have a blessed day ZagNation. Nice post by the way.

Warmest Valxo

willandi
03-03-2013, 02:50 PM
I would like just one sportswriter, or columnist to show me a single team, that has done better than the Zags THIS SEASON! Because we aren't supposed to be concerned with last year, or the last ten years, just this year. Indiana deserve a #1? They have losses to the same two teams that the Zags have lost to (coincidentally, the ONLY two Zag losses, and one of those on a bad decision last play). IT DOESN"T MATTER WHO YOU PLAY, BUT WHAT YOU DO IN THE GAMES YOU DO PLAY! Every other potential #1 and/or 1 seed has losses to a bad team(s), THIS YEAR. The Zags have lost only one game they were expected to win, and that was to Ill. We should have beaten Butler, but weren't favored going in.
If the Zags get to number 1 in the polls, and stay there, then get shafted on the seeding, it shows the polls are useless (but we already know that) and that there IS a bias in the voting.

Consider this. (I would do the numbers if I knew how but don't). If the 9 WCC teams started the season ranked 1 thru 9, where would they be ranked now? When the big conferences play cupcake OOC slates, then beat up on each other, they are given some slack. If the WCC started the year as the 1-9 teams, our conference schedule would sure look harder, to the outsider.
Just ask any of the big schools how hard it is to go unbeaten in conference play. They'll tell you, even as they pooh pooh the Zags accomplishment.

End of rant! (and it's just MY opinion only)

TheZagPhish
03-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Maybe they could start a conference exchange program. Swap one or two teams from big to mid / small conferences and test some of these theories.

UberZagFan
03-03-2013, 04:16 PM
It is analogous to knowing you are good looking, wealthy, compassionate and intelligent in life and dealing with the perpetual haters and those who will live their lives for 1 reason. TO PROTECT their own insecurities by creating a culture of false elitism.

Uber knows exactly what you speak of. He deals with it daily.

ZagLawGrad
03-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Book it, if the Zags should win out (I fully expect it), later get jumped over by someone (probably Duke), there will be no 1 seed. ...

Spot on. Ranked #1 = #1 Seed.

Otherwise, take the #2 seeding and be happy.

maynard g krebs
03-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I have read a couple of articles that drew comparisons to the Oregon State team that achieved a number 1 ranking under Ralph Miller in the early 80's. As an old guy that lived and grew up in Oregon, this is an insulting comparison. It totally discounts the efforts of Gonzaga in their building of a nationally acclaimed program. Ralph Miller was never more than an adequate coach, and his successes were never as sustained as Mark Few has had at Gonzaga. Sports writers that raise the comparison are hacks and their opinions are not worth the paper they might get printed on.

Wow. Terrible, terrible post. Ralph Miller is rightfully a hall of fame coach who won four pac 10 championships in a 5 yr stretch from 1980-84, 6 second places, 5 thirds. Fifteen top 3 finishes in a major conference in 19 years, in the backwater outpost of Corvallis. Something we'll never see again. And he did it a lot like GU has, with a lot of under the radar guys playing great team basketball.

I saw them a lot, living in Eugene for the best years of their run. The Blume-Radford teams were amazing. I'd bet Mark Few shares my opinion.

jim77
03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Quote from article: " . . . but a trip to the Final Four would make a more lasting imprint on the college basketball world."

This is what we are really after, and I'd suspect the players agree. The #1 ranking while nicely symbolic, is just a path to a #1 seed that paves the "easiest" way to the FF.

Symbolic? Being ranked #1 in march is more than symbolic. It s darn good indicator that somebodys a darn good team....its also something to tell you're kids when you're 60.....no one can ever take it away from you.....a good run through the tourney would be a nice addition too :)

Zags11
03-03-2013, 10:02 PM
I have 99 problems but being a Zag faithful isn't one.........

rennis
03-03-2013, 10:31 PM
#####es or not, 99 problems is still a ####load of problems!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD