PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin on leaving early "Dont rush it"

Zag@LMU
03-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Hopefully Kelly was watching UA vs UCLA on college gameday. Griffin was asked for his advice to college players thinking of entering the league and he basically said "Dont rush it/College is great experience/Can never go back/Youll know when youre ready."

Would love to see Kelly out there next year for his senior night.

Ekrub
03-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Easy for a guy who has millions in his bank account to say.

Birddog
03-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Griffin wasn't ready after his Freshman year so he stuck around for his Soph, made great improvement and left. Then he sat out his first pro year with an injury.

Marcus
03-02-2013, 05:53 PM
I am sure he was glad he had his knee injury post draft. I wonder if he would have said the same thing if it would have happened pre draft. I guess it doesn't really matter though because everything worked out great for him.

ridgebackzag
03-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Hopefully Kelly was watching UA vs UCLA on college gameday. Griffin was asked for his advice to college players thinking of entering the league and he basically said "Dont rush it/College is great experience/Can never go back/Youll know when youre ready."

Would love to see Kelly out there next year for his senior night.

This makes sense if you're a lock for the NBA, which I think Kelly is.

ZagsBaby
03-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Kelly is a 4th year Junior.. I don't think he'd be rushing it.........

NEC26
03-02-2013, 05:55 PM
I don't presume to tell Kelly what to do but I would bet that Adam would say the exact same thing as well.

Zag@LMU
03-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Kelly is a 4th year Junior.. I don't think he'd be rushing it.........
I would say that it all determines on the player. I dont think "x years" can be used to determine whether a player is ready to go or not.

tummydoc
03-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Kelly is likely a first round pick (guaranteed contract) and likely in the top 10 which would put him in the 2-3 million/y range x 3 years. Hard to see him taking a chance and risk injury in returning. I love the guy, would be extatic if he returns ... but he's an MBA candidate graduate student. Would think business outweighs emotions here.

zagapotomus
03-02-2013, 06:19 PM
I wish the best for Kelly and know he'll make the best out of this difficult decision. Would stink not being able to honor him during 2014 senior night though.

CB4
03-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Kelly's draft value will be higher this June than it will likely be next June. This year's draft class is weak. Kelly is having his best season and arguably the best season for a big man in college basketball. His decision has nothing to do with rushing it; it has everything to do with declaring for the draft that will be most advantageous to him. Kelly will likely be a lottery pick after this season is through.

The only reason Kelly should stick around is if doing so would almost certainly increase his draft stock to the top 5 next year. This seems unlikely. And when you consider the risk of injury playing another year in college ball (See BYU game), the potential for an off year, the potential for freshman to be drafted over you, and the cost of forfeiting a year of NBA earnings, he would be extremely foolish to come back.

Wishful thinking is one thing, blind optimism teetering on ignorance is another.

MDABE80
03-02-2013, 06:34 PM
KO stays and we'd be close to a top 5 ranking to begin the year. Lottery pick this year? Not sure. A first rounder..likely. His call. We sure would like him staying though.

bartruff1
03-02-2013, 06:42 PM
gone.

Ekrub
03-02-2013, 06:45 PM
http://changingminds.org/images/kubler_ross.gif

Not sure if we are in the denial or bargaining part of the grief cycle.

Zagsker
03-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Easy for a guy who has millions in his bank account to say.

exactly...when you know you can be financially set for life (provided you are not a fool with $), you do it.

CDC84
03-02-2013, 09:49 PM
I am sure he was glad he had his knee injury post draft. I wonder if he would have said the same thing if it would have happened pre draft. I guess it doesn't really matter though because everything worked out great for him.

1) I am almost 100% certain that Blake Griffin took out an injury insurance policy when he decided to come back to OU for a 2nd year. It was probably worth millions and millions. This is increasingly common with top prospects. They are basically set for life if a career ending injury occurs. Nerlens Noel's policy is worth ten million, and he got that before he even played a college game.

2) In 2000 Kenyon Martin blew out his leg during his league tournament. Didn't matter. Badly injured or not, he was still the number one pick that summer. In all honesty, these guys are probably more likely to suffer catastropic injuries while driving their car around town or tripping over a flight of stairs.

I think it needs to be considered that unlike Blake Griffin, at the end of this year, Kelly Olynyk will have been in college basketball for four years. I don't know if coming back for one more year is going to really better his game in any substantial way for the next level. If he's lottery, I understand him bailing. He already has his undergraduate degree, and he could easily finish off his masters while playing in the league.

Ekrub
03-02-2013, 09:59 PM
FWIW, found this on twitter:

John Blanchette‏@JPBlanchette

RT @SRJimm: Kelly Olynyk, asked if this might be his last home game: "Pangos and couple other guys joked, "Have fun on your Sr. Night."

Zagsker
03-02-2013, 10:13 PM
FWIW, found this on twitter:

John Blanchette‏@JPBlanchette

RT @SRJimm: Kelly Olynyk, asked if this might be his last home game: "Pangos and couple other guys joked, "Have fun on your Sr. Night."

God I hate twitter as I have no idea who is sending what at who and who is where and when....but reading what I am reading I am just going to concede that Olynk is gone

Ekrub
03-02-2013, 10:23 PM
God I hate twitter as I have no idea who is sending what at who and who is where and when....but reading what I am reading I am just going to concede that Olynk is gone

Jim Meehan tweeted the meat and potatoes of the tweet. Blanchette retweeted it. Meehan also tweeted this:

Jim Meehan‏@SRJimm

Olynyk: "Great thing about my situation is whatever happens happens, if not I always have a place to come back next year."

But, I'd weight the first one more heavily.

FuManShoes
03-02-2013, 10:55 PM
What does Kelly have to work on next year? He's dominating games in just 20 minutes of PT and among the most efficient players in the game. WCC opponents aren't offering much of a challenge and neither were OOC opponents. Yes another year means more wins, memories and a chances to build the GU legacy, but as a college player, he has little else to prove at this level.

zagco
03-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Has a college player ever started work on Ph.D. while still playing sports? :D

Zagnificent
03-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Has a college player ever started work on Ph.D. while still playing sports? :D

We'll probably have the first in Dr. Barham.

DZ
03-03-2013, 08:14 AM
http://changingminds.org/images/kubler_ross.gif

Not sure if we are in the denial or bargaining part of the grief cycle.

Actually, I think we are probably in our "testing" phase. I know that I went through all of those and am over the "depression" phase and it sounds like most here are.

Of course, a number one ranking sure helps one get out of "depression."

john montana
03-03-2013, 08:39 AM
The only reason for KO to come back would be to have fun, and a once in a life time experience. He would be the preseason player of the year candidate, on the cover of every sports magazine, talked about non stop and gu would be preseason top 5 (or better). None of that is worth millions of dollars...but it would be awfully fun.

bartruff1
03-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Without a single bit of evidence...I suspect 99.9 % of those who went pro early don't regret it...and 100% of them would not give the money back to go back and enjoy being a poor college student...that includes Morrison...

IMHO as always.