• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Report from the front lines

My friend Jazz ask that I give a full report of the GU-BYU game last night, so here goes.

Mrs. F1Dog and I arrived early. It may or may not surprise you that the BYU fan base and community has a bit of Jeckyl and Hyde quality to it. Before tip off, everyone is nice as pie. Smiling, clear eyed, polite and gracious as could be.

Sports at BYU are a BIG deal and they really put a lot of effort around the event. First, it was senior night and they had all the dignitaries out to greet the seniors. I was surprised to see that 2 (was it 3) of the young men being honored were in street clothes. I hadn't realized how decimated the team was with injuries.

Then, they rolled out no fewer than 200 Air Force ROTC cadets to sing the national anthem(think Mormon Tabernacle Choir style.) It was nice.

The starting five for BYU was presented in a glitzy, rocking show that I think many NBA teams would be envious of. It started with a video of Jimmer (of course) saying it was time to get ready. This got the crowd into such a frenzy that ear plugs might not have been a bad idea. And, as most of you know, that energy never really was tempered. The BYU faithful had it on tap to spare any time they needed it and those folks are loud. They also reflexively and as a unit will all stand up in unison, all 20,000, when the situation calls for it. People don't sit on their hands in that place. Which is a good thing and a bad thing, depending on your perspective.

At the tip, things were at a frenzy but it quieted down a bit as our Zags took early control of the game.

At about 4 or 5 minutes into the game, a late arriving gentleman and BYU fan came in and took his seat next to me. Todd, it turns out, has connections to the BYU team and is a former high school basketball coach. He's also family friends with the Bollinger family, Royce Bollinger being Gonzaga Baseball's all time leading hitter. So, he had a lot of respect for Gonzaga and for our team and I had a lot of fun chatting with him due to his knowledge of the game..... EXCEPT, like all other BYU fans, when the calls weren't going there way. I could tell he was trying to restrain himself, because of his new GU friend, but by the end he just couldn't help himself and was outraged, OUTRAGED at the injustice that was the refereeing. Like I said, Jeckyl and Hyde.

My new BYU friend had a lot to say about the football player in a basketball uniform. That he's apparently a nice kid, who's very mild mannered. He's only playing basketball on loan from the football team and he'll be one and done on the basketball team because his coach won't let him risk his very promising football career.

As the game progressed and the score got tighter, the atmosphere just got crazy in there. I think the only time I've been in an atmosphere louder than that was when I had the privilege of attending ESPN Gameday at the Kennel vs. Stanford.

The one thing that surprised me is that when GU went up by 5 inside of a minute is that some of the crowd started to hit the exits. It seemed out of character. The intensity, surprisingly for me, didn't drop off when our guys fouled them in the act of shooting a three and the game got close again.

When the final buzzer sounded and the game had ended, all the BYU faithful went back to nice as pie. Its almost surreal. Nicest folks you'd ever want to meet, just don't challenge them to a sporting event, I guess.

I won't put out another post about the details of the game, that is already being discussed here in a dozen other threads.

Overall, we did enjoy ourselves. I didn't get into any altercations this year and Gonzaga won the game!

There ya go, Jazz.
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

good work. i guess mrs f1d made bail for you....

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
      My friend Jazz ask that I give a full report of the GU-BYU game last night, so here goes.

Mrs. F1Dog and I arrived early. It may or may not surprise you that the BYU fan base and community has a bit of Jeckyl and Hyde quality to it. Before tip off, everyone is nice as pie. Smiling, clear eyed, polite and gracious as could be.

Sports at BYU are a BIG deal and they really put a lot of effort around the event. First, it was senior night and they had all the dignitaries out to greet the seniors. I was surprised to see that 2 (was it 3) of the young men being honored were in street clothes. I hadn't realized how decimated the team was with injuries.

Then, they rolled out no fewer than 200 Air Force ROTC cadets to sing the national anthem(think Mormon Tabernacle Choir style.) It was nice.

The starting five for BYU was presented in a glitzy, rocking show that I think many NBA teams would be envious of. It started with a video of Jimmer (of course) saying it was time to get ready. This got the crowd into such a frenzy that ear plugs might not have been a bad idea. And, as most of you know, that energy never really was tempered. The BYU faithful had it on tap to spare any time they needed it and those folks are loud. They also reflexively and as a unit will all stand up in unison, all 20,000, when the situation calls for it. People don't sit on their hands in that place. Which is a good thing and a bad thing, depending on your perspective.

At the tip, things were at a frenzy but it quieted down a bit as our Zags took early control of the game.

At about 4 or 5 minutes into the game, a late arriving gentleman and BYU fan came in and took his seat next to me. Todd, it turns out, has connections to the BYU team and is a former high school basketball coach. He's also family friends with the Bollinger family, Royce Bollinger being Gonzaga Baseball's all time leading hitter. So, he had a lot of respect for Gonzaga and for our team and I had a lot of fun chatting with him due to his knowledge of the game..... EXCEPT, like all other BYU fans, when the calls weren't going there way. I could tell he was trying to restrain himself, because of his new GU friend, but by the end he just couldn't help himself and was outraged, OUTRAGED at the injustice that was the refereeing. Like I said, Jeckyl and Hyde.

My new BYU friend had a lot to say about the football player in a basketball uniform. That he's apparently a nice kid, who's very mild mannered. He's only playing basketball on loan from the football team and he'll be one and done on the basketball team because his coach won't let him risk his very promising football career.

As the game progressed and the score got tighter, the atmosphere just got crazy in there. I think the only time I've been in an atmosphere louder than that was when I had the privilege of attending ESPN Gameday at the Kennel vs. Stanford. The one thing that surprised me is that when GU went up by 5 inside of a minute is that some of the crowd started to hit the exits. It seemed out of character. The intensity, surprisingly for me, didn't drop off when our guys fouled them in the act of shooting a three and the game got close again.

When the final buzzer sounded and the game had ended, all the BYU faithful went back to nice as pie. Its almost surreal. Nicest folks you'd ever want to meet, just don't challenge them to a sporting event, I guess.

I won't put out another post about the details of the game, that is already being discussed here in a dozen other threads.

Overall, we did enjoy ourselves. I didn't get into any altercations this year and Gonzaga won the game!

There ya go, Jazz.
      Nicely done, and glad you got to see another "W" in a bigtime environment.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• abarefootboy
        Kennel Club
        • Nov 2007

i really enjoyed your narrative former1dog

thanks for sharing .. i salute you for your courage under fire and hope your ear drums heal real soon. Go Zags !
        humanity is one family ... with one heart

Comment

• former1dog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          good work. i guess mrs f1d made bail for you....
          She had to give me a couple of reminders of my promise to behave.

Comment

• former1dog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
            Nicely done, and glad you got to see another "W" in a bigtime environment.

Me, too. I still owe you a beer or 3.

Comment

• 007Zag
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Mar 2008

Thanks for the report, F1D. I could never go to a game in Provo; would want to get into it too badly. Which would probably end badly for me, against any 1 BYU fan or all 20,000+ of them.

Comment

• Bocco
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

good job f1d thanks for the first had account
                The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

thanks, former1. I appreciate it. There was a shot of the GU crowd at the game in red shirts. Looked like there was a good representation of Zag Nation at the game, which I'm sure helped the Zags.
                  Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• former1dog
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                    thanks, former1. I appreciate it. There was a shot of the GU crowd at the game in red shirts. Looked like there was a good representation of Zag Nation at the game, which I'm sure helped the Zags.
                    Unfortunately, Reborn, Zagnation was put up into a corner cupboard in the Marriott center. Possibly the worst and most remote seats in the house.

It was that way last year also.

I don't know the protocol on visiting fan accommodations, but they don't really roll out the red carpet.

I got my seats late this year from my new GUBoards friend Emerson, so I wasn't sitting with Zagnation this year.

Comment

• sittingon50
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Thanks former. Was hoping to get an eye witness account or 2.

And, keep posting.

P.S.

What are the chances that if I acted my normal smart a** self I would get Kafusied? Or, would they show leniency when I flashed an AARP card?
                      But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• former1dog
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                        What are the chances that if I acted my normal smart a** self I would get Kafusied? Or, would they show leniency when I flashed an AARP card?
                        They do respect their elders in BYU country, but elder doesn't necessarily have the same meaning there.

Comment

• UNLV_Zag
                          Redshirt
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by former1dog View Post

As the game progressed and the score got tighter, the atmosphere just got crazy in there. I think the only time I've been in an atmosphere louder than that was when I had the privilege of attending ESPN Gameday at the Kennel vs. Stanford.

The one thing that surprised me is that when GU went up by 5 inside of a minute is that some of the crowd started to hit the exits. It seemed out of character. The intensity, surprisingly for me, didn't drop off when our guys fouled them in the act of shooting a three and the game got close again.

There ya go, Jazz.
                          There is a reason BYU is nicknamed The Borg.

Comment

• DZ
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

BYU is likely working on an appeal to the Hague about the injustices served on them by officials last night.
                            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

• cjm720
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

cool read, thx for sharing FD1
                              Go Zags!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X