PDA

View Full Version : From Mr. Katz today . . .

Zagster
08-09-2007, 10:45 AM
No team in a non-football playing Division I conference can rake in the quality opponents like Gonzaga. The Zags will once again have one of the top schedules with games against Memphis on the road, Connecticut in Boston, Tennessee in Seattle, Georgia in the Spokane Arena and at Saint Joseph's. Gonzaga will also travel to nearby rival Washington State, which has evolved into a top 15 game with the Cougars' recent success.

KSTATEZAG
08-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Not bad for an "easier" schedule.

cggonzaga
08-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Isn't the Wazzu game at home?

CDC84
08-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Gonzaga will also travel to nearby rival Washington State, which has evolved into a top 15 game with the Cougars' recent success.

A little error on Katz's part...Wazzu will be coming to GU.

Nevtelen
08-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I notice the Oklahoma thing wasn't mentioned...

ZagNative
08-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Would Gonzaga go to Oklahoma without a return game in Spokane or Seattle? Is that likely where the hang up is?

ZagNative
08-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I checked back in on Katz' column this evening, and he's tidied up the reference to WSU, saying that Gonzaga will host the Cougs.

I hadn't noticed these two bits in my earlier reading of the article:

It's too bad that Washington State's biggest nonconference game will be against Gonzaga. The Cougars deserved to get a marquee, televised quality game but couldn't land one.

Ouch. The only non-conference opponent listed on their schedule (http://wsucougars.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/wast-m-baskbl-sched.html) so far is Baylor at Waco.

Also didn't notice this one before, so driven was I for Zags news:

Washington looks like a possible bubble team with four of five starters returning in a loaded Pac-10. So, that means the Huskies had to get some quality wins in nonconference. Pitt comes to Seattle, and Washington goes to Oklahoma State in the Big 12/Pac-10 event. Add in the NIT games in New York, as well as a road game at LSU, and the Huskies have enough.

pbriz
08-09-2007, 08:02 PM
honestly, UW isnt playing a cupcake this year...

Pitt, Ok State, LSU... thats a Big East, Big 12, and SEC team... not too shabby really plus the preaseason NIT AND the Pac 10.

It's too bad we couldn't beat them by 20 again this year tho....

GonzagaLove
08-09-2007, 08:32 PM
There are a lot of imitations, but still only one Gonzaga! :D