PDA

View Full Version : An Apology from a BYU Fan

tarzanello
03-01-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm just embarrassed about last night. Kaufusi is still in football mode and should not be setting foot on a basketball court. That guy is dangerous. I really do think that in his mind he felt like he had just gotten a sack and was taunting the QB. Just plain embarrassing. I agree wholeheartedly that he should have been ejected.

Second, on the Harris foul and then the subsequent "you got swatted," a block after a foul doesn't count as a block, idiots. That was embarrassing as well.

I am not from Utah, and I don't live there--just the three years I was there as an undergrad while I got my BA. I have to agree that the fanbase can be pretty annoying--I don't go to cougarboard very often. But I still love my team, and hope that these games in the future can be intense but clean.

Sorry for the stupidity of last night. What you saw was a clinical display of some players playing waaaaay too emotianally/physically and a crowd allowing itself to get too caught up in the moment. But, at least we didn't throw things on the court this time...

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-01-2013, 10:25 AM
No worries, Tarz. I understand emotions running high in that game for players and fans. Most importantly, no one was hurt. Good luck the rest of the way to the Cougs!

Bowser
03-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks for that. We're all a bit peeved. Don't be a stranger.

Reborn
03-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Thank you for the classy apology. BYU did lose the support of many GU fans like me. I can not support a program that supports that kind of play. A few years ago Harris got thrown out of a game and suspended for one for a flagrant foul that did not come close to the one last night. The refs made a huge mistake when they let a player like that remain in the game.

And Kaufusi was not the only thug.

bartruff1
03-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Other than that one foul...I had no problem with the physical play and I thought the refs were consistant....

I think that kind of reffing helps Gonzaga in fact...

Coach Few has pointed out that that kind of play is pretty much standard now and has effected scoring and game planning...

It was a hell of a game and BYU went out on their shield...they gave it their all...

hockeyzag
03-01-2013, 10:37 AM
I agree, it was just Kaufusi who was acting like a goon. The rest of the game was pretty physical, but that's fine. We thrive in physical games.

CB4
03-01-2013, 10:42 AM
There's no need to apologize. BYU did what they had to to try and win the game. They were tough and physical and put up their best fight to win the game. Without those antics our fan base is so pissed off about BYU likely wouldn't have been within reach of a W.

thespywhozaggedme
03-01-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm just embarrassed about last night. Kaufusi is still in football mode and should not be setting foot on a basketball court. That guy is dangerous. I really do think that in his mind he felt like he had just gotten a sack and was taunting the QB. Just plain embarrassing. I agree wholeheartedly that he should have been ejected.

Second, on the Harris foul and then the subsequent "you got swatted," a block after a foul doesn't count as a block, idiots. That was embarrassing as well.

I am not from Utah, and I don't live there--just the three years I was there as an undergrad while I got my BA. I have to agree that the fanbase can be pretty annoying--I don't go to cougarboard very often. But I still love my team, and hope that these games in the future can be intense but clean.

Sorry for the stupidity of last night. What you saw was a clinical display of some players playing waaaaay too emotianally/physically and a crowd allowing itself to get too caught up in the moment. But, at least we didn't throw things on the court this time...

There's exceptions to every rule. You are that exception. Thanks

Zagger
03-01-2013, 10:54 AM
It is getting too physical - fouls that should be called are not - it is one more reason a player should bolt to the NBA ASAP (if they can) so that they can earn some $ before they get injured - or worse. If fouls are not going to be called then the players should start wearing protection and let's just turn basketball into hockey. End of rant.

ZagLawGrad
03-01-2013, 11:13 AM
The booing was beyond ridiculous---they even booed the obvious call on thug boy. Gotta have some limits.

But, no need to apologize. On to the next hurdle!

rawkmandale
03-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Other than that one foul...I had no problem with the physical play and I thought the refs were consistant....

I think that kind of reffing helps Gonzaga in fact...

Coach Few has pointed out that that kind of play is pretty much standard now and has effected scoring and game planning...

It was a hell of a game and BYU went out on their shield...they gave it their all...

I can agree with this. Only Kaufusi bothered me. The fans were trying to will their team into the NCAA tournament. I was very impressed with Brandon Davies last night, and the guts of some of the other BYU players. I hope the coach has a LONG talk with Mr. Kaufusi. Otherwise, next year, our Mr. Karno might return the favor, and we really don't want that.

maynard g krebs
03-01-2013, 11:57 AM
It is getting too physical - fouls that should be called are not - it is one more reason a player should bolt to the NBA ASAP (if they can) so that they can earn some $ before they get injured - or worse. If fouls are not going to be called then the players should start wearing protection and let's just turn basketball into hockey. End of rant.

Good rant. Scoring is down across the board. Games are getting uglier and uglier to watch. Things need to change. The NCAA needs to force officials to clean the game up. Unless they've decided that thug basketball is what sells and what the majority wants to see.

I prefer basketball that is fast moving, free flowing, and aesthetically appealing. I hope that's not a minority opinion.

NEC26
03-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Good rant. Scoring is down across the board. Games are getting uglier and uglier to watch. Things need to change. The NCAA needs to force officials to clean the game up. Unless they've decided that thug basketball is what sells and what the majority wants to see.

I prefer basketball that is fast moving, free flowing, and aesthetically appealing. I hope that's not a minority opinion.

Maynard don't always agree with you but I couldn't agree more on this. I don't follow basketball to see constant brawling. I want to see skill, athleticism, and teamwork. I like to watch football but they put the pads on for a reason. I'm not just referencing last nights game its all over college basketball and it takes away from the game. I hate Big East brawl ball. Its a mockery of what the game is supposed to be.

rijman
03-01-2013, 12:09 PM

Thank you for your post. Regarding the "you got swatted" chant, my son and I looked at each other and laughed. Not only was it a foul, I believe it was Kaufusi's 5th. I'll admit I'm not a Kaufusi fan on the basketball court, but I'll root for him every time he plays against Notre Dame in football.

abarefootboy
03-01-2013, 01:03 PM
you showing up here with your well expressed apology helps the healing on all sides. I appreciate your good intentions and hey ... it's still an honor to have you in the WCC.

Zageist
03-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Fans pay for the tickets, they have a right to cheer or jeer. At least they weren't as bad (or I didn't notice it) as Duke fans, taunting players over the loss of a relative. There's a difference between rooting for your team and being a jerk.

zagco
03-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Zagco suspects the mob mentality was in play. The hideousness of Kafooey's (or whatever) play and his thuggishness was probably so shocking that many fans did not really know what to do! Boo your own team? No. They cheered, just like throngs of people do when witnessing a fight while someone gets pummeled to death for a reason that no one really knows.

maynard g krebs
03-01-2013, 02:20 PM
There's some ironic humor in BYU's "you got swatted", actually. Because in general, this chant means the basketball shot by the player was swatted. But in this case, the player himself got swatted.

Not that any of the chanters are likely to realize this.

tarzanello
03-01-2013, 02:58 PM
There's some ironic humor in BYU's "you got swatted", actually. Because in general, this chant means the basketball shot by the player was swatted. But in this case, the player himself got swatted.

Not that any of the chanters are likely to realize this.

The "you got swatted" part was referring to Davies blocking Harris's shot after the original foul. I rewatched it, and that block on its own might actually have stood as a clean one, although it was hard to tell since he got hammered so hard before the block.

MDABE80
03-01-2013, 03:37 PM
OK...accepted. Nice BYU Fan! Enough of the recycling. We have more games to play.
Misinterpretations of words or chants happen all the time. It's not much. AND it's not important when a bunch of rabid fans just say stuff.......outside of the Duke event referenced above.
Meanwhile.BYU did what they did and GU won. BYU , like Gonzaga is a wonderful instiution. Fans are often drunk or stupid and they do and say things MORE than annoying. It's over. We won and BYU lost. We go to the NCAA and they won't.
We may meet them in the WCC tournament. SO? We'll beat em again.

Go Zags! It's good to be the winner. Even better to have kids who win and don't set out to maim. Best wishes Tarzan.

Zagsker
03-01-2013, 05:51 PM
A few years ago Harris got thrown out of a game and suspended for one for a flagrant foul that did not come close to the one last night.

If you are talking about the game vs Wake than I completely disagree with you....that foul by Harris was just "as close" as Mufasa's one last night...maybe even worse...the difference is Harris did not act like a ###### after it

ZagsBaby
03-01-2013, 06:15 PM
If you are talking about the game vs Wake than I completely disagree with you....that foul by Harris was just "as close" as Mufasa's one last night...maybe even worse...the difference is Harris did not act like a ###### after it

Agreed, Harris gave the dude a hard elbow to the throat intentionally.. Not sure why "reborn" is bringign that up

Birddog
03-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Harris was baited into that foul. I can't remember the guys name but he had a reputation for pulling $hit like that. He was also doing some acting. I seem to remember a WF poster coming over and apologizing for the guy's move after the game.

Edited to add that the guys name was Chas McFarland. He had quite the reputation.

ZagsBaby
03-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Harris was baited into that foul. I can't remember the guys name but he had a reputation for pulling $hit like that. He was also doing some acting. I seem to remember a WF poster coming over and apologizing for the guy's move after the game.

Edited to add that the guys name was Chas McFarland. He had quite the reputation.

No excuse for the elbow to the throat.. "Baiting" maybe, but that was smart on McFardland's part and his team won because of it, so jokes on Elias there.

dirty play, who cares.. Just don't be an ignorant homer.

Bogozags
03-01-2013, 09:24 PM
No excuse for the elbow to the throat.. "Baiting" maybe, but that was smart on McFardland's part and his team won because of it, so jokes on Elias there.

dirty play, who cares.. Just don't be an ignorant homer.

Dirty play, who cares??? Please explain! Sounds like dirty play is ok with you or am I just misunderstanding?

Also why was McFarland smart? I would say he exemplifies everything that is wrong about the game! Loved BYU's Austin helping one of our players get off the court. It isn't Combat where one MUST win at all costs! Am I the only one who sees this as a problem in the "game" today?

Also it's nice to know there still are BYU fans that realize poor behavior...

Zagsker
03-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Dirty play, who cares??? Please explain! Sounds like dirty play is ok with you or am I just misunderstanding?

Also why was McFarland smart? I would say he exemplifies everything that is wrong about the game! Loved BYU's Austin helping one of our players get off the court. It isn't Combat where one MUST win at all costs! Am I the only one who sees this as a problem in the "game" today?

Also it's nice to know there still are BYU fans that realize poor behavior...

Not speaking for ZB...but for me I don't like "dirty play" but I like physical play and sometimes those lines cross

HOOTER
03-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Good apology, but I still can't stand BYU fans. What a bunch of mormons...er...morons I mean.

Just kidding! Sheesh.

ridgebackzag
03-01-2013, 10:50 PM

If DeMarcus Cousins calls you a dirty player then you should look in the mirror at least once. Harris was definitely baited and that technical has been the complete opposite of the player he's been for us. Just wish he would have gotten more face and less throat.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/DeMarcus-Cousins-calls-Wake-s-McFarland-a-dirty?urn=ncaab,229198

FroZAG
03-01-2013, 10:53 PM

Much appreciated