• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tarzanello
    Redshirt
    • May 2011

An Apology from a BYU Fan

I'm just embarrassed about last night. Kaufusi is still in football mode and should not be setting foot on a basketball court. That guy is dangerous. I really do think that in his mind he felt like he had just gotten a sack and was taunting the QB. Just plain embarrassing. I agree wholeheartedly that he should have been ejected.

Second, on the Harris foul and then the subsequent "you got swatted," a block after a foul doesn't count as a block, idiots. That was embarrassing as well.

I am not from Utah, and I don't live there--just the three years I was there as an undergrad while I got my BA. I have to agree that the fanbase can be pretty annoying--I don't go to cougarboard very often. But I still love my team, and hope that these games in the future can be intense but clean.

Sorry for the stupidity of last night. What you saw was a clinical display of some players playing waaaaay too emotianally/physically and a crowd allowing itself to get too caught up in the moment. But, at least we didn't throw things on the court this time...
  • CaliforniaZaggin'
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2008

No worries, Tarz. I understand emotions running high in that game for players and fans. Most importantly, no one was hurt. Good luck the rest of the way to the Cougs!
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• Bowser
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

Thanks for that. We're all a bit peeved. Don't be a stranger.

Comment

• Reborn
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

Thank you for the classy apology. BYU did lose the support of many GU fans like me. I can not support a program that supports that kind of play. A few years ago Harris got thrown out of a game and suspended for one for a flagrant foul that did not come close to the one last night. The refs made a huge mistake when they let a player like that remain in the game.

And Kaufusi was not the only thug.
        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• bartruff1
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2010

The fans are annoying...

Other than that one foul...I had no problem with the physical play and I thought the refs were consistant....

I think that kind of reffing helps Gonzaga in fact...

Coach Few has pointed out that that kind of play is pretty much standard now and has effected scoring and game planning...

It was a hell of a game and BYU went out on their shield...they gave it their all...

Comment

• hockeyzag
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Jul 2007

I agree, it was just Kaufusi who was acting like a goon. The rest of the game was pretty physical, but that's fine. We thrive in physical games.
            "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
            -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• CB4
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2009

There's no need to apologize. BYU did what they had to to try and win the game. They were tough and physical and put up their best fight to win the game. Without those antics our fan base is so pissed off about BYU likely wouldn't have been within reach of a W.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                Banned
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by tarzanello View Post
                I'm just embarrassed about last night. Kaufusi is still in football mode and should not be setting foot on a basketball court. That guy is dangerous. I really do think that in his mind he felt like he had just gotten a sack and was taunting the QB. Just plain embarrassing. I agree wholeheartedly that he should have been ejected.

Second, on the Harris foul and then the subsequent "you got swatted," a block after a foul doesn't count as a block, idiots. That was embarrassing as well.

I am not from Utah, and I don't live there--just the three years I was there as an undergrad while I got my BA. I have to agree that the fanbase can be pretty annoying--I don't go to cougarboard very often. But I still love my team, and hope that these games in the future can be intense but clean.

Sorry for the stupidity of last night. What you saw was a clinical display of some players playing waaaaay too emotianally/physically and a crowd allowing itself to get too caught up in the moment. But, at least we didn't throw things on the court this time...
                There's exceptions to every rule. You are that exception. Thanks

Comment

• Zagger
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2008

It is getting too physical - fouls that should be called are not - it is one more reason a player should bolt to the NBA ASAP (if they can) so that they can earn some $ before they get injured - or worse. If fouls are not going to be called then the players should start wearing protection and let's just turn basketball into hockey. End of rant.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2008

The booing was beyond ridiculous---they even booed the obvious call on thug boy. Gotta have some limits.

But, no need to apologize. On to the next hurdle!
                    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• rawkmandale
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                      Other than that one foul...I had no problem with the physical play and I thought the refs were consistant....

I think that kind of reffing helps Gonzaga in fact...

Coach Few has pointed out that that kind of play is pretty much standard now and has effected scoring and game planning...

It was a hell of a game and BYU went out on their shield...they gave it their all...
                      I can agree with this. Only Kaufusi bothered me. The fans were trying to will their team into the NCAA tournament. I was very impressed with Brandon Davies last night, and the guts of some of the other BYU players. I hope the coach has a LONG talk with Mr. Kaufusi. Otherwise, next year, our Mr. Karno might return the favor, and we really don't want that.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zagger View Post
                        It is getting too physical - fouls that should be called are not - it is one more reason a player should bolt to the NBA ASAP (if they can) so that they can earn some $ before they get injured - or worse. If fouls are not going to be called then the players should start wearing protection and let's just turn basketball into hockey. End of rant.
                        Good rant. Scoring is down across the board. Games are getting uglier and uglier to watch. Things need to change. The NCAA needs to force officials to clean the game up. Unless they've decided that thug basketball is what sells and what the majority wants to see.

I prefer basketball that is fast moving, free flowing, and aesthetically appealing. I hope that's not a minority opinion.

Comment

• NEC26
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                          Good rant. Scoring is down across the board. Games are getting uglier and uglier to watch. Things need to change. The NCAA needs to force officials to clean the game up. Unless they've decided that thug basketball is what sells and what the majority wants to see.

I prefer basketball that is fast moving, free flowing, and aesthetically appealing. I hope that's not a minority opinion.
                          Maynard don't always agree with you but I couldn't agree more on this. I don't follow basketball to see constant brawling. I want to see skill, athleticism, and teamwork. I like to watch football but they put the pads on for a reason. I'm not just referencing last nights game its all over college basketball and it takes away from the game. I hate Big East brawl ball. Its a mockery of what the game is supposed to be.

Comment

• rijman
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by tarzanello View Post
                            Thank you for your post. Regarding the "you got swatted" chant, my son and I looked at each other and laughed. Not only was it a foul, I believe it was Kaufusi's 5th. I'll admit I'm not a Kaufusi fan on the basketball court, but I'll root for him every time he plays against Notre Dame in football.
                            It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• abarefootboy
                              Kennel Club
                              • Nov 2007

well expressed tarzanello , thank you

you showing up here with your well expressed apology helps the healing on all sides. I appreciate your good intentions and hey ... it's still an honor to have you in the WCC.
                              humanity is one family ... with one heart

Comment

Working...
                              X