Anybody Think We'll See BYU in the WCC Tourney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin Centre Mad Man
    Administrator
    • Apr 2009

Anybody Think We'll See BYU in the WCC Tourney?

Do you think we will play BYU, again? They should be on the other side of the WCC bracket. They are presently tied with SCU at 9-6 for third and fourth place. BYU holds the tie-breaker by virtue of two wins against the Broncos. BYU's remaining game is against last place LMU. SCU still has a game against St. Mary's. It is possible, however unlikely, that BYU could lose, Santa Clara could win, and BYU would finish fourth and be on our side of the bracket. The more likely scenario would be both teams meeting in the title game. We would probably have to beat Santa Clara to get to the title game. They would probably have to beat St. Mary's.

Would you rather play them or SMC in the title game if we reach it? Do you think BYU can beat Delly on a neutral floor? Do any of you even care?

I am not particularly worried about facing them for a third time. I think we took the best shot BYU could have possibly given and came out on top. I don't think the Cougars have the ability to play a second game with the intensity they showed, last night, particularly on a neutral floor.
    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective
  • bartruff1
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

NO

Comment

• scott257
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
      I am not particularly worried about facing them for a third time. I think we took the best shot BYU could have possibly given and came out on top. I don't think the Cougars have the ability to play a second game with the intensity they showed, last night, particularly on a neutral floor.
      I agree. They won't have a better chance than they did last night. We will shoot better, rebound better, and they won't have the kind of home court advantage that they had last night.

Comment

• Zagdawg
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

They will have to get through St Marys -- but maybe.

Comment

• Reborn
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

No. They will lose to St Mary's, imo.
          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• coolhandzag
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Feb 2007

I hope not. I haven't seen garbage that cheap since tijuana.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2009

I can't imagine. But boy, what if they did and pulled some of the same tactics they did with us against someone like Cinci or another BE team that likes to fight back...

I was proud of our guys holding their composure last night.

Comment

• McZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by coolhandzag View Post
                I hope not. I haven't seen garbage that cheap since tijuana.
                sigpic
                Gonzaga Basketball
                Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Comment

• rennis
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

If they played that hard against SMC they would win if SMC struggled like GU did from the perimeter. SMC would score almost zero points in the paint against that zone if played to that intensity again.
                  Originally posted by Coach Few
                  We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                    This.
                    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2008

If we do, I expect the same thugery we saw last nite. Fricken refs need to know when to put a stop to that BS
                      "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• UKWildcatsFan
                        Kennel Club Alum
                        • Jan 2012

I would rather see BYU in the semi-finals, because they have a higher RPI than Santa Clara, and it would be a better win. However, either one would be another top 100 win at a neutral site so I don't much care. Just want to play Saint Mary's in the title game.

Comment

• mgadfly
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

If they lose to the worst WCC team and Santa Clara wins a road game against a team with 25 wins, the RPI's will probably end up pretty close. I like our match-up against Santa Clara. Plus, I want Saint Mary's to stay in the Top 25. That means I'm rooting for Saint Mary's to beat Santa Clara. I also want our wins against BYU to look good, so I have to root for the Thugs against LMU.

Then, I want us to beat Santa Clara and SMC to beat BYU. Although, I think the team might be up for a rematch against BYU to prove that when the game isn't allowed to turn into a rugby scrum they can put some distance between them and the Y.

Comment

• GU69
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                            Yes. SMC is better than BYU.

Comment

• 007Zag
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Mar 2008

I don't think we'll see them again, and I don't want to. I like watching basketball, not junkball. Also, I just don't want their fanbase to have the satisfaction of winning a game in the WCC tournament. I want them to be 1-9 against Gonzaga/SMC in the two years since they've joined this weak conference. They'll end up the 3 seed, and I'll be rooting for St. Mary's.

Comment

Working...
                              X