• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • webspinnre
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Zone Busting

So, hopefully in the next couple of weeks the Zags will spend a significant amount of time working on how to beat a zone. Specifically, how to penetrate those gaps, maybe even through, gasp, dribble-driving.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
    So, hopefully in the next couple of weeks the Zags will spend a significant amount of time working on how to beat a zone. Specifically, how to penetrate those gaps, maybe even through, gasp, dribble-driving.
    maybe even pulling up for open twos...or playing more shooters.....something

Comment

• Zagdawg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I'm thinking we don't shoot that bad from 3 for the rest of the year.

Neutral courts will be much kinder and the boys will get them to drop.

Comment

• UKWildcatsFan
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Jan 2012

Outside of probably Syracuse, Gonzaga isn't likely to face a zone like that again.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2008

Pangos 1 for 12 from 3 range, ouch. Better keep going inside like at the end.
          "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• madness
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Feb 2007

Dranginis is the team's best zone killer, but he only played a couple minutes tonight...that has to change
            You're Scotch man! Time to get pissed.
            http://twitter.com/smmclean/zags

Comment

• Blitzing-Zag
              Kennel Club Material
              • Jan 2011

Zone offense?

Great tough win Zags! Very proud of our boys for fighting through a very tough game.

Anyways, one thing I hope that the coaching staff adds is some better plays to help break down a zone defense like BYU was throwing at us tonight, as I am sure we will see it during the NCAA tourney. I now we did a good job against it at home, but tonight I was was concerned by the lack of movement and passes to the middle. I know that had we hit our 3's that it would have been a different story, but if we run into a game where we aren't really hitting our outside shots we need some got to zone breakers.

Not trying to be negative just trying to see if others agree, and GO ZAGS!
              Gonzaga Class of 2011

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

GU has been fine against zones all year

What was puzzling about tonight was that the Zags have handled zones well all year, and they have seen plenty of them. Even 1-3-1's. BYU zoned GU most of the time in Spokane, and the Zags put 83 on them. Baylor's zone is far more fearsome with their length and athleticism, and GU put 94 on them.

It was if the team went into vapor lock mode tonight. Thank God they held the Cougs to 36.5% shooting. Between the bad zone offense and foul shooting, that was a recipe for an upset.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2008

3 2 zone right? weakside wing sagged the FT line

I think the Zags adjusted well actually, though can always improve. heck, many executed plays were hacked to no avail...not much to do there.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by madness View Post
                    Dranginis is the team's best zone killer, but he only played a couple minutes tonight...that has to change
                    and clanked two FTs in a row...yikes
                    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• Mantua
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                      I've mentioned this twice in threads tonight...and I don't think it can be said enough!

Thank you!!!
                      Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• mihalevich
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2013

some of you dont seem to realize that its not too difficult to pack a zone and take away anything inside like BYU did...How do you beat it? By making wide open 3's...If they made some 3's then BYU has to man up shooters which opens up middle...So I disagree that the problem was taking too many 3's...problem was not making any....If Pangos goes 4-12 instead of 1-12 then we get a comfortable win...

Comment

• Birddog
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mihalevich View Post
                          some of you dont seem to realize that its not too difficult to pack a zone and take away anything inside like BYU did...How do you beat it? By making wide open 3's...If they made some 3's then BYU has to man up shooters which opens up middle...So I disagree that the problem was taking too many 3's...problem was not making any....If Pangos goes 4-12 instead of 1-12 then we get a comfortable win...
                          Bingo! and Harris sitting out long minutes in 1st half didn't help either.
                          Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                          Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                          All mimsy were the borogoves,
                          And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by madness View Post
                            He's really good at using his length to get inside the zone off the dribble.

The interior passing by bigs diced them up last game in the Kennel. That was stifled a bit by foul trouble in the first half of this game.

Harris didn't seem himself, either, as we was very tentative.

That said, a few more made threes and this turns into a laugher.

Comment

• caduceus
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

I can't imagine that Few didn't prep and prep and prep for zone against this BYU team that zones all the time. I don't think this was the main issue. They packed 4 guys in the paint all the time, leaving WIDE OPEN shots from three. BYU took a gamble, and for the most part, it paid off -- primarily because we had a cold shooting night from 3.

Only @USF and against Clemson have we had a worse shooting night from outside.

No game we play the rest of the season will likely have a sea of all 20,000+ screaming, white-shirted boo-baby fans where we can't hear any of the sets called.

Comment

Working...
                              X