• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

OT: Catholic 7 to include Xavier & Butler

Breaking News from ESPN:

The Catholic 7 schools are expected to start their own league next season and will keep the Big East Conference name, sources told ESPN. Joining the Catholic 7 schools in the new "Big East" this fall will be Xavier and Butler, sources said.
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

First domino.

Comment

• caduceus
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

What a mess.

Comment

• KStyles
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

While Butler, Xavier and a team yet to be determined are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Creighton, Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 13-team league.
        I know Richmond & VCU were rumored, possibly one of them will be the 10th team for next fall?

Comment

• Upward
          Redshirt
          • Feb 2013

Any chance Gonzaga can get into this grouping? I realize travel will be tough, but a few more teams west of Chicago would help.

Comment

• thickman1
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Feb 2007

It sucks GU is all alone on the west coast.

Comment

• strikenowhere
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by thickman1 View Post
              It sucks GU is all alone on the west coast.
              Yeah...the Zags have hit the glass ceiling where they are at now league-wise. If only the rest of the wcc pulled their own weight things would be different.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2011

I think if we aren't part of the conference, Few will strive to schedule 2-3 year commitments to play home and away series with 3-4 of these C7 teams (C9 now?). We can become a regular part of the rotation and if we can win, all it would do is help our reputation and OOC RPI.

I would love a home and away with Butler, Villanova, or Marquette ANY DAY!
                “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Gam agin

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
                  I think if we aren't part of the conference, Few will strive to schedule 2-3 year commitments to play home and away series with 3-4 of these C7 teams (C9 now?). We can become a regular part of the rotation and if we can win, all it would do is help our reputation and OOC RPI.

Good point. These teams will need to fill many OOC games. Otoh, they won't want challenging ones. That's been their history anyway.

Comment

• krozman
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
                    We can become a regular part of the rotation and if we can win, all it would do is help our reputation and OOC RPI.

Not sure our OOC RPI is really ever an issue.
                    Krozman
                    GU student 1996-2000
                    Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• Saxon_zag
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2008

I really want the zags to get in on this. Indeed we have hit a ceiling for where we are. With the way the wcc is changing the tourney to make the zags play 2 extra rpi killer games, its time to go to bigger and better things.

Comment

• Zag 77
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Move on

I actually am glad this is over for GU. I do not think that mention of GU was ever anything more than a trial balloon. Plus, I think that their going with Fox Sports instead of ESPN is a mistake. Those schools are just too far away for all of our team sports other than basketball, and realistically the WCC was not going to let us stay for just baseball and soccer.

The WCC may not be perfect, but on the whole it has worked out pretty well for us, especially since 1999.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2009

I agree with the fustercluck sentiment. Also, I hate the foxsports affiliation. ESPN has more clout amongst the kids. Who turns into ROOT to watch anything other then the specific game they are looking for? Every sports fan has ESPN on the rest of the time.

Let's take UW's spot in the Pac12. PK can play TE.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2009

Meh. I'd rather do the Mountain West...not that they're looking to add hoops teams without football programs.
                            “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• exclusivelee
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2013

It's time for the Zags to leave the WCC.

Pacific is not coming to help the conference in basketball, and Gonzaga has outgrown the WCC as a whole.

Butler and VCU have moved on from their garbage conferences and we should be doing the same. We should do one of the following:
                              1. Pac-12 should extend us an invitation as non-football member
                              2. Mountain West should extend us an invitation as a non-football member
                              3. We should grab St. Mary's and join with the Catholic 7

Comment

Working...
                              X